SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Life Lessons (What Has God Been Teaching You?)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Yodi

Escondido, California

Life Lessons (What Has God Been Teaching You?)

Just got back from vacation in Port Orchard, Washington. I knew that God wanted to set me outside my fast paced, friend filled, constantly busy Californian lifestyle long enough to speak to my heart.

On Memorial Day weekend I went out on my grandpa's boat to go see the orcas (killer whales) migrate off the San Juan Islands (picture from trip above). I didn't have access to the Internet and my cell phone battery died, but that ended up being good because God wanted my undivided attention.

I think what I learned the most was being reminded of one of the Chrisitan basics; to be still and know that He is God. To take some time out to just sit, listen, pray, meditate, be calm and patient. And though there are many amazing people in my life and God has blessed me so much with great friends, He needs to be my best friend of all.

In a couple weeks I'm going to be involved in a 2 week summer camp for street kids in the Ukraine. I know that I'll learn so much more seeing the world through another culture's eyes, and most of all through God's eyes. I can't wait to experience what all else God has in store.

Please feel free to post what God has been teaching each one of you recently. I really would like to know! :-)

2004/6/10 16:55Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Life Lessons (What Has God Been Teaching You?)

Here is a image that sister yolanda requested that I get up ;-)

[img]https://www.sermonindex.net/images/forum/2004/june/y.gif[/img]

2004/6/10 17:37Profile
Matthew2323

Colorado

Re: Be Still...

I once caught a fish THHHIIIIIIIIISSSS BIG!!!!

So, God showed you there were times you needed to sit still...

What did He say to you when you were sitting still?

2004/6/10 18:22Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Sitting Still

Quote:
So, God showed you there were times you needed to sit still...

Yeah. California is just so fast paced, zero patience, constant fun and entertainment, etc. I got on the boat and we're like chugging at 9 miles an hour under gloomy, rainy clouds! It was so depressing! But finally after a few days, on a sunnier day (was an answer to prayer!), I just sat on the top of the boat watching the tree covered islands slowly pass, enjoying the breeze, admiring the big, white puffy clouds and I just started pouring out my heart to God. I mean, I pray regularly and have devotions every morning, but this was different. This was like good quality time, not in a hurry to do something else, you know? I ended up being up there for hours. Just sharing my fears, my doubts, my weaknesses, the longings of my heart, etc.

Quote:
What did He say to you when you were sitting still?

To let go of things, people, and trust Him that He has His best plans in mind for me. I was really missing my friends and feeling really lonely, so I just felt God ministering to me. I needed to give Him full control of every area of my life, especially the parts and the people who meant the most to me. It's kind of hard to explain in general terms without getting all personal on here in public. I guess basically, and specifically, there's a certain guy that I needed to let go of, emotionally speaking. That day on the top of the boat just ended up opening up the door for me to hear from Him in the days following.

There's this book that I knew was going to be good, but I was just struggling to get started. There was always something else to do, you know? But when I got back from my boat trip, I read it, and it's exactly what I needed! Ever here of "When Dreams Come True" by Eric & Leslie Ludy? It's their sequel to "When God Writes Your Love Story". Man, every chapter they each wrote just brought tears to my eyes and softened my heart to God's love for me. That's when I was encouraged to make Him my best friend. One of my friends back home wrote me a really sweet poem too that encouraged me to not focus on the guy I would one day marry, but for God to be the love of my life. And then someday, in His time, I could trust that He'd bring that right, godly guy.

So... God was speaking to me specifically concerning my recent struggles and battles with being lonely and trusting for His best. I know that I will only get to know Him even better and love Him in a new and different way when I go to the Ukraine. There's just something that happens when God gets you away from everything normal and familiar to you. You know, when it's just you and Him.

Answer your question, Matthew 2323?

2004/6/10 19:02Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: God Showing Anybody Anything?

So, uh... you guys all miss the question about me wanting to know what God's doing in your guys' lives? There's like 60 views but no replies. No comments or anything?

I did receive an email from a Julianne about my last post. I don't have her permission to post what she wrote me, so I won't, but it was an encouragement to know that God is teaching others the same thing. We truly are not alone when we sometimes think we are.

2004/6/11 14:27Profile
moreofHim

Re: life lessons

Hi Yolanda,

I have been sick but have read your posts. How wonderful for you to learn to love being with Him alone in a new fresh way. Too few of us make sure we have this time with our First Love. So cool to hear of your experiences lately.

If you want to know what life lessons I've been learning just go to the thread about my daughter (Arielle) and Koo. Just swimming in a sea of humility lately. :)

Hidden in Him, chanin

2004/6/11 17:35Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
So, uh... you guys all miss the question about me wanting to know what God's doing in your guys' lives? There's like 60 views but no replies. No comments or anything?

Hi Yodi, the Lord bless your heart.
Sometimes it just takes time to see replies and sometimes they just get burried under the shear number of other discussions. But it does seem odd that either nothing is going on or...maybe everybody is praying! :-)

But have been following what's going on with your posts and love to hear the things the Lord is doing in other lives. Had actually thought of posting this as a reply to your post (being related), but for what it's worth here is a rambling discourse for ya:
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2235&forum=15]A Year To The Day![/url]

2004/6/11 21:24Profile
Everlast

Missouri

Re:

Here's what God has been teaching me...be HUMBLE. He has teaching me broknesses, and that I am alwasy right *hehehe* that He tends to know what is best. I have learned a lot lately about myself, and the majority of which is that I am too focused on my self and not on the glorious praise and honor God deserves.

2004/6/13 0:16Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: WOW crsschk!

I really don't know what to say. You wrote A LOT concerning how you've been blessed by this site. That's awesome!

I like what you wrote about prayer and how lack of prayer because of unbelief leads to more unbelief and so on. Thanks for the encouragement on prayer. My thing is trying to take the time to pray for ALL the things and people that need prayer. Your list can get pretty long and sometimes overwhelming! But like you said, talking to God all day every day should be a way of life for the Christian. I mean, how much do we talk to people on the Internet, on the phone, etc.? We should be talking to God even more and just as naturally as you would with a dear friend.

And I agree about praying for and supporting this site. I've realized the more time I've spent on here and the more I get encouraged, it's been put on my heart not just to log on here, but to pray and support as well. I know so many more people are being blessed by this ministry!

2004/6/14 14:53Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Everlast...

Yes, humbleness... a very good lesson to learn. I would have to say it was a big lesson I learned this past year. I was bent on not making any mistakes in my spiritual walk since the day I was born again, and though I believe my motive was to please the Lord, a lot of spiritual pride grew out of my "perfect" Christian walk. I think God allowed me to make many mistakes this past year. I knew a lot of things in my head, and the knowledge in my head puffed me up higher than others. And who wants to be around that? What's that verse, "Take heed when you think you stand, lest you fall"?

It's hard not to be focused on yourself. It's a daily discipline because to be selfish is natural; part of our sin nature. I think the lesson in pride right now that I'm trying to learn is to trust God with my future. You know, I'll get tired of being patient and think that I've waited long enough for His best, but I also gotta trust in His timing, not mine. Plus, when I get my eyes off myself altogether, patience doesn't even become an issue anymore because I'm so focused on Him.

Well, thanks for sharing. May God continue the work in You that He started.

2004/6/14 16:08Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy