SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Who Anointed Paul???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

1 Corinthians 3:9-11

9For we are labourers together with God: ye are God's husbandry, ye are God's building.

10According to the grace of God which is given unto me, as a wise masterbuilder, I have laid the foundation, and another buildeth thereon. But let every man take heed how he buildeth thereupon.

11For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.

Paul laid the foundation of the Church..the Body of Christ. This was the secret hidden from the foundation of the world...the Mystery ..Christ in you...forming the Church..

This was committed to Paul.

Quote:
2Pe 3:16 As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other Scriptures, unto their own destruction

AMEN!

Jesus is the Chief Corner Stone, and we are built up together with Him, a Heavenly body, a Royal Priesthood.

This was not revealed in the OT.

Love in Christ
Katy

2008/1/18 18:24
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi everyone.

Dear Dorcas,

I don't think it is necessary to answer every question on the terms it is asked(Proverbs 26:4).

[i]Also, I don't mean to suggest that anyone here is a fool by making refrence to that verse[/i]

Chris

2008/1/19 7:59Profile

Re: Who Anointed Paul???

ChrisJD said to me

Quote:
I don't think it is necessary to answer every question on the terms it is asked

I agree completely. But, that doesn't mean one can totally ignore the concerns of the person who asked the question. Some questions in return might be an intelligent way to try to reinterpret the questioner's attempt to find answers. Often this validation of their concern, goes some way to holding their respect, until a time when deeper trust might enable them quietly to let go of their initial presentation, and get down to the heart of what is eating them, in a much more meaningful exchange.

Do you see what I mean?

2008/1/19 12:48

In answer to PaulWest's request that I read the whole thread, I am plodding through. On p3 MikeB said

Quote:
It seems just as odd to isolate Paul by making mention of him in this way, even if it is too seemingly be coming to his defense, he needs no defending!

But, if a person who thinks they know enough about what Paul did, said and taught, is so deeply challenged by his words (in truth), or, finds something about his all-pervasive presence in the New Testament drives him (or her) to nit-pick over doctrine.... and this is a dear soul whom you would love to see saved into complete peace of mind about the truthfulness, dependability and worthiness of respect of Paul's ministries, I hope that the way this matter has been approached so far, is not how you would sincerely expect to persuade a totterer in face-to-face conversation. Because, how do these answers actually validate Paul except by the personal beliefs of everyone who wants to 'defend' him, going all the way back to those who originally chose to include his letters in the canon of scripture?

I believe it is possible to explain all Paul's concerns - enough to invalidate criticisms brought against him - from [i]other scripture[/i].... but I confess, I haven't tried yet. I don't know if it would mean reading too much into the Old Testament dispensation (for instance). However, comments such as 'his frequently odd behaviour' .... ??? huh? .... mean what....? That one is one red herring.... surely?

2008/1/19 12:52
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Dorcas,

"But, that doesn't mean one can totally ignore the concerns of the person who asked the question."

Think that would be covered in verse 5.

:-)

Would you agree?

Chris

EDIT: want to to be clear again that I'm not suggesting anyone here is a fool by making reference to the verses from Proverbs.

2008/1/19 12:54Profile

Hi ChrisJD,

Difficult that you want me to take v 5 seriously, and hold it together with

Quote:
Also, I don't mean to suggest that anyone here is a fool by making refrence to that verse

I have another problem, in that these ancient sayings, while valid many times, are also many times answered differently under the New Covenant.

For instance, Jesus said we must become like little children. That may well mean it's ok to ask questions which grown-ups would think unbecoming of their time and attention, especially if their judgement was being made according to a black and white dispensation in which it was ever ok to call someone a fool.

If I put this 'smilie'.... :-x please know that I mean it to back up my refutation of the idea that it's ok for Christians to judge an enquirer's question as not worth their time or attention. I say this also, because Forrest is so well-educated, that if she had brain-space to work out the answers to these matters [i]without[/i] our help, I am certain she would never have posted the thread. Seriously. And I really did expect when I saw it, for it to be addressed with more sympathy than it has been.

And while I'm saying this just once, there has been - not entirely - but somewhat of a lack of perceiving her as [u]with us[/u] rather than against us. I think her material, although perhaps ineptly presented, could have attracted a longer, slower look, and less assumption - especially once it became clear she was asking on behalf of [i]others[/i]. I see it was not helpful to anyone answering though, that her personal opinions became laced with the questions. Still, that was obvious when it happened, and could have been separated from the main concerns.

Bro, by all means reply to this post, but I need to keep reading if I'm to catch up today... I don't mind being stretched though. It's much better than being trashed or ignored.

:-)

2008/1/19 13:20
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Dorcas,

I'm not sure I'm understanding you here.

Maybe it will help if I put this again this way:

I made refrence to the verses from proverbs because I think there is a principle there that is applicable here. That being this,

Sometimes it is wise to avoid answering people on their terms because those terms can force you into their reasoning, especially if they do not begin with the fear of the Lord.

At the same time, we do not, or even should not, avoid giving an answer altogether, for their sake.

I was thinking of the principle in the verses.

Is that more clear or no?

Thanks.

2008/1/19 13:42Profile

Hi ChrisJD,

Quote:
Sometimes it is wise to avoid answering people on their terms because those terms can force you into their reasoning, especially if they do not begin with the fear of the Lord.

This is [i]much[/i] clearer, thank you.

And I agree. There are times when I would try to take the question apart, to find out what was the part most important to the questioner, and [u]at the same time[/u], if there were improper elements to their reasoning, to tell them directly which of their parameters I'd have to change to be able to move them forward.

I guess there are some Christians who believe it would be unkind to revamp a person's question, but like you, I believe that's unfruitful. The word of truth will heal their heart and mind if they are open to receive it, and only truth. To palm them off with anything less is neither honest nor loving.

2008/1/19 13:58

Hello Forrest,

It seems that as this thread progressed, some of the original queries brought to you by others, got entangled with your own unanswered questions or thoughts. And like us all, you have an impression of what is taught in churches, or, of how scriptural doctrine is valued or validated separately from the full breadth of scripture, which may or may not be everyone's take or experience in the same matter. Would that be a fair statement of where this thread began?

2008/1/19 17:24
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:

This is wise thought, brother Chris. I have been taught on this, and thanks for reminding.

Kire

2008/1/19 17:49Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy