SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : John Hagee's Apology, questionable?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

John Hagee's Apology, questionable?

This is a special message my Pastor John Hagee. Tell me what you think especially paragraph 7 & 8.

Check out the source and the Original Ad for his book.

Quote:
1)I am writing to share with you some important news pertaining to my latest book In Defence of Israel.

2)It has come to my attention that my choice of language and some of the interpretation being given that language in Chapter Ten has caused some confusion and actually led some readers to question whether I believe that Jesus is the Messiah.

3)If people are reaching such a conclusion, then I have clearly failed to communicate my views as well as I should have. I have decided to release a new edition of In Defence of Israel with an expanded Chapter Ten. The new version will make the same point as the prior one, but using language which cannot mislead anyone about my bedrock belief that Jesus was and is Lord, Savior and Messiah.

4)I was surprised to learn that some people were interpreting my words as a rejection of this most fundamental Christian belief that Jesus came to earth as the Messiah promised in the Hebrew Scriptures. I have been preaching the gospel for half a century. Almost every Sunday for the past 50 years, I have stood in front of Christian audiences to clearly proclaim the glory of our Lord, Savior and Messiah, Jesus Christ.

5)For the past 30 years, these weekly sermons have been beamed to millions around the world on Christian television. Given my long years of preaching the gospel to so many, it simply never occurred to me that anyone would question my belief in the fundamentals of the faith. I chose to use challenging language that I hoped would confront the body of Christ to consider events from the Jewish and historical perspective and therefore develop greater empathy for our Jewish friends. Over the centuries, Christians have been quick to condemn the Jews for failing to recognize Jesus as Messiah.

6)This approach led to replacement theology and the viewpoint of some that God has rejected and broken covenant with the Jewish people. These ideas, in turn, opened the door to a vicious Christian Antisemitism that led to the Crusades, the Inquisition and countless pogroms.

7)I tried to challenge this view by highlighting a distinction that has been long recognized in Christian theology between the role Jesus played in His first coming, and the role He will play in his second coming. Jesus came the first time as the suffering Messiah, as exemplified by His persecution, rejection and crucifixion. Jesus will come back as the reigning Messiah, who will rule the world from His throne in Jerusalem as King of Kings and Lord of Lords.We Christians believe that the suffering Messiah was clearly foreshadowed in the writings of the Hebrew prophets.

8)However, most Jews have never read the prophets in this way. The Jews were expecting the reigning Messiah. I know this, you know this, and our omniscient and omnipotent Savior knows this. God could have sent His Son to earth as the reigning Messiah the Jews were expecting. Instead He chose to send Him as the suffering Messiah, who submitted to the Cross, and I thank Him every day that He did. But I also regret daily that this divine move has led so many of the fallen humans it saved to denigrate and persecute the Jewish people from whom our Lord sprang.

9)In the expanded Chapter Ten, I will make the same point with language that does not hide my own perspective on the matter. The primary change will involve how I use the word “Messiah.” In the expanded version, I will clarify the clear distinction between the “Suffering Messiah,” the Lamb of God and the “Reigning Messiah,” the Lion of the Tribe of Judah! I am deeply grieved for any confusion my writing may have caused the body of Christ. It was never intended.

10)I trust this letter and the expanded edition of In Defence of Israel will clarify what I believe. I also hope that we can return our focus to what I had anticipated to highlight all along, the fact that we Christians must shift from condemning the Jews for what they missed to thanking them for what they gave.

[url=http://www.jhm.org/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&type=gen&mod=Core+Pages&gid=F9D83613EC574E6D8A2530B583FE9B95]source[/url] [url=http://www.jigministries.tv/video/128707-john-hagee-denies-jesus-came-to-be-the-messiah.html]Original Advertisment[/url]

2008/1/7 17:40
LiveforGod

Re: John Hagee's Apology, questionable?

Hello Brother. I would gladly tell you what I think of this book and of this man and of paragraphs 7 & 8. but first I would like to know what it is that you think of it. Do you agree with him? Just curious brother. Thank you. God bless you

2008/1/7 18:35Profile
Smokey

Edmonton Alberta Cda.

Re: John Hagee's Apology, questionable?

I do not see how this "apology" even begins to address some of the comments that he has made in his advertising of this book! I don't understand why he is apologizing to Christians, he should be on his face repenting of his blasphemy.

Blessings Greg :-?

2008/1/7 20:41Profile

Re:

Quote:
but first I would like to know what it is that you think of it. Do you agree with him? Just curious brother

I have to disagree with him and his book. In his advertisement of the book he clearly believes that the Jews are innocent in their role in the New Testament Gospels, he's trying to acquit them of all wrong doings.
Quote:
Acts 4:26 The kings of the earth stood up, and the rulers were gathered together against the Lord, and against his Christ.Acts 4:27 For of a truth against thy holy child Jesus, whom thou hast anointed, both Herod, and Pontius Pilate, with the Gentiles, and the people of Israel, were gathered together,Acts 4:28 For to do whatsoever thy hand and thy counsel determined before to be done.

To be even plainer,
Quote:
Acts 5:30 The God of our fathers raised up Jesus, whom ye slew and hanged on a tree.

As touching Jesus coming as Messiah and revealing His identity to the Jews as Hagee seems to think that Jesus did not say that He was, consider these verses.
Quote:
Matthew 26:63 But Jesus held his peace, And the high priest answered and said unto him, I adjure thee by the living God, that thou tell us whether thou be the Christ, the Son of God.64 Jesus saith unto him, [His answer][b][size=small]Thou hast said[/size][/b]: nevertheless I say unto you, Hereafter shall ye see the Son of man sitting on the right hand of power, and coming in the clouds of heaven.65 Then the high priest rent his clothes, saying, He hath spoken blasphemy; what further need have we of witnesses? behold, now ye have heard his blasphemy.

2008/1/8 14:33
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

I ran across this article, but I haven't been able to verify if it actually did come from Michael Brown. I don't see why it wouldn't have though.

Pastor John Hagee’s new book, In Defense of Israel: The Bible’s Mandate for Supporting the Jewish State (Lake Mary, Florida: Front Line, 2007), was publicized by announcements stating that the book would “shake Christian theology.” The following positions are explicitly laid out in the book:

The Jewish people, as a whole, did not reject Jesus as Messiah.

Jesus did not come to earth to be the Messiah.

Jesus refused by word and deed to be the Messiah.

The Jews cannot be blamed for not accepting what was never offered.

Statements like this must be evaluated in light of 1 John 2:22: “Who is the liar? It is the man who denies that Jesus is the Christ [i.e., Messiah]. Such a man is the antichrist—he denies the Father and the Son.” As commentator Stephen S. Smalley explained, “The true believer is the one who accepts the Christhood of Jesus, whereas those who deny his messianic identity declare themselves to be on the side of the antichrist” (Word Biblical Commentary).

What could possibly be the motivation for teaching such error? First, In Defense of Israel desires to dispel once and for all the notion that all Jews are Christ-killers, a terrible lie that has fueled anti-Semitism in the Church for more than 1,500 years. Second, the book wants to refute the false teaching of replacement theology, explaining that, “Replacement theologians have said that ‘the covenant with Israel was broken because she would not accept Jesus Christ whom God sent.’” (See p. 132 of In Defense of Israel.) Tragically, in the attempt to fight against these serious errors, a more serious error has now been introduced. Yet some believers – and even leaders! – are buying into this error hook, line, and sinker, and some have begun to teach and preach it as well.

Since the publication of the book, Pastor Hagee issued some clarifying remarks, but the clarifications only complicate the issues and fail to renounce and remove the error.

Here are three fundamental statements that all believers should be able to affirm without hesitation:

1) Jesus came to be the Messiah. This is the fundamental message of the New Testament, which is why we call him “Christ” (meaning, “Messiah”). And it is a fundamental message of the Scriptures that the Messiah had to suffer and die if he was one day to rule and reign (see, e.g., Luke 24:25-27, 44-47), a biblical truth that most of the Jewish people of Yeshua’s day missed, a biblical truth that most Jews through the ages have continued to miss, and a biblical truth that In Defense of Israel has now fed into as well.

In the clarifying statements that have been made since the publication of his book, it was explained that Jesus came to be the suffering Messiah but not the reigning Messiah – something, of course, that we all knew, and something that would hardly “shake Christian theology” – but these statements have simply introduced another nuance to the error, since nowhere in the New Testament is such a distinction made.

In other words, God did not say to Israel, “It’s fine that you rejected Jesus as Messiah because he did not come in the political way you expected. He had to die in order to be the Savior of the world, so you are not guilty.” There is not a hint of such a message in the Scriptures, which simply proclaim him as the Messiah, period.

That’s why Jesus explicitly identified himself as the Messiah in the Gospels (see, e.g., Matt 16:16-17; Mark 14:61-62; Luke 7:20-23; John 4:25-26; 5:39, 45-47; 10:24-25) – not as the suffering Messiah, whom his people were supposed to reject so that he could die, as opposed to the reigning Messiah, whom they would one day receive, but simply as the Messiah – and that’s why the Gospel authors frequently announced him as the Messiah (in Greek, the Christ; see, e.g., Luke 2:11, 26; John 1:41; 3:28; 11:27; 20:31). And that’s why the apostles proclaimed him as the Messiah in Acts (see, e.g., Acts 2:31, 36; 3:18, 20; 4:26; 5:42; 8:5; 9:22; 17:2-3; 18:5, 28; 26:23).

I would encourage you to look up every reference cited here. It is all quite simple, forthright, and easy to understand, and nowhere is any distinction made between the suffering and reigning Messiah. To repeat: Jesus is proclaimed as the Messiah of Israel, period, and because he is the Messiah of Israel, he is the Savior of the world.

2) The Jewish people rejected their Messiah. Although all Jews are not Christ-killers (God forbid!), and although the entire Jewish nation did not play a role in the crucifixion of Jesus, God held the Jewish people in Jesus’ day responsible for his death and, more significantly, he held them responsible for rejecting Jesus the Messiah after his resurrection. The New Testament witness is explicit and consistent on this.

That’s why the apostles preached to “the people of Israel” that they were guilty of rejecting the Messiah (Acts 2:22-23, 36; 3:13-15, 17, 19; 4:10-11; 5:30; 7:52; 13:27-28; see also John 1:12), and that’s why Paul spoke of Israel’s hardening, breaking off, stumbling, transgression, and rejection (see Rom 9:31; 10:3; 11:7, 11-12, 15, 20 – although with the full expectation of Israel’s future redemption; see Rom 11:11-15, 25-26). Again, I encourage you to take a moment to look up these passages. They are striking in their force and consistency.

Because of this rejection, severe judgment came on the Jewish people in the first century, as prophesied by Yeshua with tears (see Luke 19:41-44; see also Matt 23:29-37) and as taught in his parables (see, e.g., Matt 21:33-46; 22:1-14).

As painful as this witness is, it cannot be rewritten, nor can anyone lessen Israel’s guilt because it was God’s will that Jesus died on the cross. To the contrary, just as it was God’s will that Joseph be sold into Egyptian slavery and yet at the same time his brothers were guilty of sinning against him (Gen 44:16-45:5; 50:14-20), so also it was God’s will that Yeshua die for our sins while at the same time the Jewish people, along with Herod and Pilate and the Romans, were guilty of having him crucified (see Acts 2:22-24; 4:27-28).

It is scripturally impossible to claim that “the Jews cannot be blamed for not accepting what was never offered.” A glorious offer was made and refused, and that’s why Paul’s heart was broken (see Rom 9:1-5).

3) Jesus remains the Jewish Messiah, and there is no salvation for the Jewish people outside of faith in him. Although Pastor Hagee has consistently stated that he does not teach “dual covenant” theology, referring to the false concept that Jews can be saved outside of faith in Jesus, his new teaching certainly aids and abets that error. After all, if “The Jews Did Not Reject Jesus as Messiah” (as stated in bold print in his book), and if “Jesus refused by word and deed to be the Messiah” (be it the “reigning Messiah” or not), then, not only can it be said that “the Jews [in Jesus’ day] cannot be blamed for not accepting what was never offered” but that the Jews in any day cannot be blamed for not accepting Yeshua.

This again is a fundamental denial of the Word of God, and although In Defense of Israel claims that the “message of the gospel was from Israel, not to Israel,” Jesus, Peter, and Paul declared that the message of the gospel was to Israel first, and then from Israel to the nations (see Luke 24:47; Acts 1:8; 3:26; 13:32-39; Rom 1:16; in Paul’s words to the Jewish leaders in Rome, it was “for the sake of the hope of Israel” that he was bound in chains; Acts 28:20).

To be sure, there are a number of other errors found in the critical section of In Defense of Israel (including the myth that there was a so-called cup of the Messiah, the alleged fourth cup of the Passover meal that Yeshua supposedly refused to drink), but this is not the place to address those concerns, and to focus on the smaller problems would detract from the larger picture.

If you are not currently on our e-list, I would encourage you to sign up today. And let’s continue to make the truth known: Yeshua is the Messiah of Israel, the King of the Jews, the Savior of the World!

In Him,

Michael L. Brown, Ph.D.

2008/1/8 15:17Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Well looks like Pastor John will be beat up for a while by the slew of unforgivers at SI maybe this will take some of the focus off Pastor Joel for a while, we can only hope that as we forgive we are forgiven I think that's what God said. :-)

2008/1/8 15:18Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

Smokey wrote:

I do not see how this "apology" even begins to address some of the comments that he has made in his advertising of this book! I don't understand why he is apologizing to Christians, he should be on his face repenting of his blasphemy.

Blessings Greg :-?

Greg a lot of us here should be on our face repenting, as I have read a lot worse here and only seen a few good souls actually come back and post a repent statement.

I know I probably look like the "devils advocate here for lack of a better word" for all these Pastors that have gone astray, but someone has to be and I also keep them in prayer and I feel that's my calling so I must carry on, just as some feel they must carry on exposing them like the Fox and CNN of SI. :-P

2008/1/8 15:22Profile

Re:

Quote:
Well looks like Pastor John will be beat up for a while by the slew of unforgivers at SI maybe this will take some of the focus off Pastor Joel for a while, we can only hope that as we forgive we are forgiven I think that's what God said.

Unforgivers? Is exposing teachings wrong? The man John Hagee preaches a lot of truth, however when it comes to this book, "In defence of Israel" there is a problem. And it's this book that is being amplified and we should warn others of it's contents.

I do not believe that John Hagee himself is denying Jesus Christ as Messiah, and neither does he.

It's this book that is on display here, it has nothing to do with forgiveness, because Hagee is not asking for that, he is only sorry that people have taken his book the wrong way. And I am saying that, how can you not take it the wrong way when his words are very clear?

2008/1/8 15:55

Re:

Quote:
Unforgivers? Is exposing teachings wrong?

Only when it's someone Bill likes... eh Bill?? ;-) ;-) ;-) 8-)

(c'mon, buddy... I'm just ribbin' ya!)

All kidding aside, I think gross heresy is a very serious matter, and it isnt "beating up" someone to challenge their teachings. Paul commended the Bereans for studying to see if what they were being taught was correct. Yet, today, when we do it... and find errors and bring them out in the open... we're called hateful.

Strange and backwards thing.

Krispy

2008/1/8 16:29
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

KrispyKrittr wrote:
Strange and backwards thing.

Krispy

Hey I am a Strange and backwards kind of guy. :-P
but I am glad you understand me. ;-)
Hey I just never want to try and appear perfect am I doing a good job? :-)

2008/1/8 16:44Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy