Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
davyman

Re:

Quote:

tjservant wrote:
Quote:
Well, Like all Baptist conferences, the Baptist General Conference does believe in perseverance . . . and it doesn't. Bethlehem Baptist Church and John Piper are "General Baptist." Pastor John describes himself as a "seven-point" Calvinist. On the other end of the spectrum, and only five miles away physically, is Woodland Hills Church and Greg Boyd who preaches "open theism" and denies perseverance, his church is in the same BGC.

The "General Baptist" denomination and the Baptist General Conference are not the same thing...at all. The General Baptist denomination is Arminian.

Thanks Brother, I stand corrected. :-)

SDG,

Dave

2008/1/5 17:27Profile
kendall

Re:

I too, stand corrected. I guess that everything they teach you in school is not true :-). Concerning Calvinism, most baptist historians consider baptists (mainly Southern Baptists) to come from Calvinistic roots. In fact almost all founders, to my knowledge, of the Southern Baptist Convention were Calvinists. Regardless of its roots, there is much diversity in baptist life today. I have no knowledge of the Arminian branch of Baptists that our brother TJ pointed out, but as to the rest of baptists that I am aware of about the only part of TULIP that the all agree on is Perseverance of the Saints. In fact a Southern Baptist wrote a book entitled "Why I am not a Calvinist." It has a picture of a wilted tulip on the front with four petals on the ground and one hanging on by a thread:-). However, in the Southern Baptist Convention I seem to recall that about 25% of the ministers are five point Calvinists.

2008/1/5 23:23Profile
intrcssr83

Logan City, Queensland, Australia

Re:

Bit of a historical question (though it's implications may open a can of worms): What was behind the "resurgence" movement in the SBC seminaries during the late 70s? As far as I understand (please correct me if I'm wrong), it was a fight against liberal influences upon the SBC, right?

Also, I heard on the rumor-mill that Southern Theological Seminary President Albert Mohler (who I know as being Reformed, Cessationist and Complementarian) was recently nominated as a candidate to lead the SBC. True/False?

2008/1/6 3:17Profile
davyman

Re:

Yes, Al Moehler has been nominated. I'm not sure he is a cessationist, he often speaks at the same conferences as CJ Mahaney, founder of Sovereign Grace Ministries which is Charismatic and reformed.

SDG,

Dave

2008/1/6 8:28Profile
kendall

Re:

The "Conservative Resurgence" was a fight against liberalism in the seminaries. The main thrust was against neo-orthodoxy, although there were many other liberal influences in the SB seminaries. For the most part, the Conservative Resurgence was successful in restoring sound doctrine in the seminaries. As a side note, when I say sound doctrine I am referring to the inspiration of Scripture, the virgin birth, deity of Christ, et al.

2008/1/6 8:41Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy