SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Practical help in Reading the Bible through multiple times throughout the year

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re: Practical help in Reading the Bible through multiple times throughout the year

I know this is about reading the bible... but one recent addition I've made to my life is also and Audio bible, I'm in the car for at least 45 minutes to an hour a day. Because of the Ammount of time I spend in the car it should be no problem to listen to the New Testament through in a little over a month... and it helps with road rage too, 'bless you for cutting me off, I can't be angry when I'm listening to the Word of God.'

2008/1/9 11:04Profile
Compton

Re:

Quote:
it should be no problem to listen to the New Testament through in a little over a month... and it helps with road rage too, 'bless you for cutting me off...'

I agree, the Old testament goes better with road rage...especially when someone cuts you off. Break their teeth, O God... Psalm 58.

It's also good for slow drivers in your way when you're late to church...As a snail which melteth, let every one of them pass away...

MC

2008/1/9 11:35Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
I agree, the Old testament goes better with road rage...especially when someone cuts you off. Break their teeth, O God... Psalm 58.

It's also good for slow drivers...As a snail which melteth, let every one of them pass away...

:-P

Good ones, Mike. Yes, there is a verse in Holy Writ for everything you face in life. It's good to be well-versed and conversant. Some folks would pull out and employ certain verses to fit their situation, and we need to know what goes and what won't go. For instance, I once had a guy try to tell me marijuana was permissable by God because "didn't Jesus say, 'Behold the grass?'"

I looked him in the eyes to see if he was joking, or trying to kid me...

He wasn't.

2008/1/9 11:43Profile
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Quote:
For instance, I once had a guy try to tell me marijuana was permissable by God because "didn't Jesus say, 'Behold the grass?'"

I looked him in the eyes to see if he was joking, or trying to kid me...

He wasn't.

Sometimes I get people to quote from Gen. 1.

Gen 1:29 And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which [is] upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which [is] the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat.

I usually come back and say. Oh? Do you know what God told Noah?

Gen 9:3 Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.

You better not move buddy, I might be hungry. ;-) We have to use our heads a little bit.

2008/1/9 11:51Profile
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

Quote:
You better not move buddy, I might be hungry. We have to use our heads a little bit.

Ha! Very good. By doing this, you demonstrate how ridiculous it can be to wrench scripture to one's own fancy. It gives the person in error a taste of his or her own medicine, so to speak.

I'm going to have to remember this one.

Brother Paul

2008/1/9 12:29Profile

Re:

Quote:
I know this is about reading the bible... but one recent addition I've made to my life is also and Audio bible, I'm in the car for at least 45 minutes to an hour a day. Because of the Ammount of time I spend in the car it should be no problem to listen to the New Testament through in a little over a month...

Hey Iansmith,

Some of my friends and I use audio bibles also. My friends use Scourby.
http://www.audio-bible.com/

I use Max Mclean. He does the KJV, ESV, and NIV.
You can sample and purchase it through download. I highly recommend Mclean's works.

http://www.listenersbible.com/
http://www.listenersbible.com/products/

My friend Mike speeds his audio bible up a bit, because he is a skilled and fast reader.

However I slow mine down a bit, because I'm not skilled in reading. (It is convenient for me that my mp3 player can speed-up and slow-down audio)

There is something that has helped me a lot. I have a marking system that I have developed. I write symbols, letters, or numbers next to verses that indicate the theme or subjects in the verse. This has helped me find verses quicker when I'm praying, preaching, or exhorting. It has also helped me study topics. For instance, If you want to learn more about a specific subject or doctrine in the bible. Make up a symbol for it, or even a colored symbol for it. I have an LW for verses that are applicable to Loving your Wife as Christ loves His Church. I outlined the LW with a blue and pink color, so that when I'm flipping through my bible I can spot out all the verses that pertain to this subject. This has helped me much when I'm praying through the word or sharing scripture with others. It's much easier to locate verses when you have a unique colored coded symbol marked next to all th scriptures relating to that subject.

If there is any strong principal in bible reading I've learned, it is this:

Pray as you read and read as you pray. Sometimes I'll spend one portion of my time reading and the other portion praying over what I read.

Have a pencil nearby helps. I'll mark verses that I need to go back and pray through. Also, as I'm reading through I'll Pause on certain verses to spend sometime in prayer over what the Lord is showing me.

God bless you! -Abraham

Edit: letter bolds added and spell check

2008/1/9 16:31

Re:

I heard of a preacher who would read a book in this manner:

Let's say the book of John.
Starting in month 1, read the first 3 chapters of that book everyday for a 30 day period. by the end of the month. you will have read those first three chapters 30 times.

Then the next month, move on to chapters 4-6 and do the same thing.

In about 7 months, you will have read the book of John 30 times.

This is a great way to read a book that you want to know inside and out. By the end of the season of going through the entire book, you will be much more familiar with where verses are located in that book, and the context. This method is helpful if you want to master a specific book. I remember Leonard Ravenhill suggested that preachers should master some books. It's seems to be what Ravenhill did with Hebrews. He qoutes from that book alot and I think it's because he spent an unusual amount of time in it.

You can also change the amount of chapters that you read each day. I recommend 3, so that you still have time to go through the word in your normal reading time. But, you can try whatever you are able.

2008/1/9 16:33
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re:

This is a wonderful thread. This is something a man can learn from! I know that R.A. Torrey spoke of a layman who would preach on Ephesians with tremendous power, wisdom and anointing. This layman's pastor, after hearing him minister, took him aside one day and confessed he had always wanted to minister with that kind of blessed authority and unction. What was his secret?

The layman told his pastor his secret was totally immersing himself in the book of Ephesians by reading it over and over and over again. He told him of the day he just took the book with him into a field, sat under a tree, and read it from beginning to end about 30 times. The book became a part of him, it got into his spiritual DNA.

There is powerful efficacy in a repetitious exposure to God's Word. What was John Sung's experience after reading through the Bible 40 times in a few months? He threw all his university diplomas and awards and degrees into the ocean and turned the world upside down. I think our biggest obstacle in doing the same is not Satan - it's our own laziness.

2008/1/9 17:32Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

Quote:
I think our biggest obstacle in doing the same is not Satan - it's our own laziness.

brother paul, the Lord has spoken something similar to that about myself. He showed me that the reason i was not reading or praying as i should have was because i simply was bored with Him. it was easier to be entertained by the tv or something else than to set aside an hour or 2 for prayer and reading the word. but God has used this thread by brother abraham to change that in me. i am amazed at how much reading you can do by simply reading a hour.

just wanted to share that.
phil

2008/1/10 8:19Profile
SimpleLiving

Minnesota, USA

Re:

Quote:
by hmmhmm on 2008/1/6 14:29:47

If any of you have a habit of writing in your bible, you may like me in the end after painfully realize you made so much notes you "destroyed" that bible and underlined almost the whole bible to the point it doesent make sense any more.... well i have found articles like this helpful in perusing a more structured way of making notes and underlining and so on, i still seek new ways to make it "better" but maybe someone will benefit from this "MAKING NOTES IN YOUR BIBLE"

This is very helpful to me. I haven't been very judicious in the marking of my Bibles in the past. I will certainly be more-so in the future.

2008/1/17 23:02Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy