SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "Desiring the 'gifts' of The Spirit"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

No Sis - I said, "one thing [b]I'm[/b] learning.

That went along with my prayer request I posted to Jeannette.

I'm learning - but I feel - too slowly.

I appreciated your post, sincerely.

Thank you for it. It spoke to me.

2008/1/20 12:12
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Dorcas,

What I think has been implied here is that those who do seek after gifts are not following God as Christ did.

And this is why I think it is comparable to those in the openening of the letter who said they were 'of Christ'. Not that they thought He was an earthly teacher, but that they thought they followed Him, and the others didn't, because they were of Paul, or Apollos, or Cephas.

Does that make sense at all?

Chris

2008/1/20 13:54Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

To everyone,

I would like to ask here, that if I have said anything evil, or that I have sinned against anyone, to please write to me.

Thank you very much,

Chris

2008/1/20 13:56Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Chris, from my prospective on this thread I don't see thats there is anything you have said that was out of line either worldly or spiritually but thats just my opinion, hey brother don't beat yourself up over all this stuff, we need your feedback and your ideas here just like anyones else's, remember it really don't matter anyway God loves us all the same and there is none not one that totally understands it all absolutely anyway...Well except for Jesus.
Take Care
Brother

2008/1/20 14:09Profile

Re:

Brother, take time to look UP at "the sky". HE's up there and I was grateful when you added "the cosmos" to that particular thread. It helped me personally and That's the Truth.

You've said nothing "evil" in my eyes - it was just questioning why I would start such a thread, when there are so many other threads on so many other topics.

I couldn't understand why this doctrinal issue would offend anyone and from what I hear - it's done just the opposite - because we want to be The properly functioning "Body" and One - as HE intended us to be.

No where in this thread did I come anywhere near saying that we are not to desire to be used as He was on this earth. That includes as many gifts as He sees fit to use us in -- "severely as He wills".

I think we just need to read each other's posts a little more carefully or with less suspicion.

Love was Paul's main message through-out this discussion and I like your signature.

GOD Bless you Brother.
Keep Looking Up. :-)

2008/1/20 14:11
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Annie and Bill, thank you both for your replies.

Chris

2008/1/20 14:27Profile

Re: 'Desiring the "gifts" of The Spirit'

Hi ChrisJD,

I'll try to put something together here, which may help express any division Annie may have had in mind at the beginning of the thread. There (p1) she had said:

Quote:
To say it directly - once our eyes are on "the gift", we'll go off.

Any Saint, that has gotten their eyes off of themselves - dying to self - can potentially be used in all of the above, as He Wills - because they will be on this earth, just as He was. He lowered Himself and took our form. Dependent on The Father to direct His every thought, word and action.

We won't be looking to see if we are being used in a gift - nor take notice when we are - we'll just "walk in Him" and the works that He did, any Saint may do also - to the degree that we decrease so that He will increase - seeking His Glory and His Will only and to live for others only, as He did.

To look at oneself for what gifts we are being used in is Not From Him.

To desire to be like Jesus. To be transformed into His Image. To have His Mind. To be full of Truth and nothing but His Truth - that is our goal - not "gifts" - but to be like Him.

I believe this was an attempt to make Christ the focus of our attention, rather than the gift [i]per se[/i].

As I understand it, even from Geraldine over here in a different city, the fashion for men calling themselves 'Prophet' or 'Apostle', is what Annie was resisting. I do see it is possible to construe, from a purely biblical perspective, that she was [i]actually saying[/i] not even to do what Paul exhorts here:

1 Corinthians 14:1
Follow after charity, and desire spiritual [i]gifts[/i], but rather that ye may prophesy.

I believe the Greek is better translated as the [i]graces[/i] [charismata], (but of course, that [i]does[/i] sound a bit Greek mythological) or, simply 'the spirituals' - in much the same way as 'the heavenly places' can be translated 'the heavenlies' (Eph 1 and 2).

I hope Annie will come in here and say if I've gathered that distinction she was making, where men finding themselves just slightly used in a gift, have made it into a big carnal label by which to lord it over their flocks in a most unChristlike way. Or, if I have also misunderstood... I'm sure she'll say.

Chris, can I ask.... how do you read 1 Corinthians 14:1?

How would you interpret it to your own heart, or to ours sharing here?

2008/1/20 14:49
psalm1

Re:

I'm beginning to think this transparency is getting contageous.
Can you imagine the brethren loving each other?
I hope it starts with me.
I see all of you in a whole new light!!!
Is this false love?......just kidding!

David

2008/1/20 14:59Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Dorcas,

About the verse,

I think love seeks to find a practicle expression that is adaquate to meet the needs around it.

Chris

2008/1/20 18:57Profile

Re: 'Desiring the "gifts" of The Spirit'

Hello ChrisJD,

Good reply, bro. It struck straight home to something deeper and rather unexpectedly topical for me. Thank you.

:-)

2008/1/20 19:15

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy