SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "Desiring the 'gifts' of The Spirit"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

psalm1 wrote:
I also apologize for any harm to my brethren....
My points are just "points"
And i dont know how in the world my size 12 shoe fits completely in my mouth but ....it does!

David

Hi David

I get the impression that you do have "an honest and good heart". That makes all the difference in the world.

Don't beat yourself up about a bit of misunderstanding and minor disagreement, or not putting things as well as maybe you could have.

As Bill says, we all do it.

Blessings

Jeannette

2008/1/20 8:35
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Everyone,

I would like to share something here.

Annie said,

"If we stop our autonomous way of thinking and living - as He walked totally dependent on the Father for every word, thought and deed - then it won't be "gifts" that we'll be looking for, but just to obey the Father in whatever He would have us to do, think or say and "gifts" are just part of Him living His life through us."

So does this not imply that people who do desire and seek after gifts are not following God, or are somehow less spiritual than others, or that that could be?

How is this different than those, who in chapter one said

'we follow Christ'?

Was it not implied by them then that everyone else did not follow Christ?

Is that not implied here?

2008/1/20 9:09Profile

Re:

Jeannette, David apologized in a very kind PM.

Just wanted you to know.

My Outlook Express has been hit by something so I can't Send and all emails received/saved are blank. I did manage to put one in My Documents though before they went blank.
Would appreciate prayer for that and for the after affects of a major 6 month long spiritual attack.
After the tsunami type prayer. Thanks!

Discerning of spirits mixed with 'mercy' has the potential to wipe one out. Others have discussed that here.
Just one more lesson on 'gifts' and their misuse in the naive.

PRAY ONE FOR ANOTHER - this type stuff is only the beginning of such phenomena. Wise as serpents and harmless as doves is a hard one.

LOVE HIM 1st !!!

2008/1/20 9:31

Re:

The Word of God is complete and everything you ask has been covered Chris.

Have a nice Sunday.

2008/1/20 9:33

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
Everyone,

I would like to share something here.

Annie said,

"If we stop our autonomous way of thinking and living - as He walked totally dependent on the Father for every word, thought and deed - then it won't be "gifts" that we'll be looking for, but just to obey the Father in whatever He would have us to do, think or say and "gifts" are just part of Him living His life through us."

So does this not imply that people who do desire and seek after gifts are not following God, or are somehow less spiritual than others, or that that could be?

Of course not!

Quote:
How is this different than those, who in chapter one said

'we follow Christ'?

Was it not implied by them then that everyone else did not follow Christ?

Again, of course not!

in Him

Jeannette

2008/1/20 9:39

Re:

Quote:

HE_Reigns wrote:
Jeannette, David apologized in a very kind PM.

Just wanted you to know.

Praise the Lord!

Quote:
My Outlook Express has been hit by something so I can't Send and all emails received/saved are blank. I did manage to put one in My Documents though before they went blank.

Have you tried OE help, or is that gone too? Or in help menu try "troubleshoot Outlook Express"?

There's a way of correcting some faults by system restore, (think that's what it's called) but I can't remember how, or if it's likely to help with this. The problem is if you reinstall Outlook Express you will probably lose all the emails already there. That's one reason I use Yahoo, it doesn't depend on my computer but can be accessed from anywhere.

Any computer experts out there?

Quote:
Would appreciate prayer for that and for the after affects of a major 6 month long spiritual attack.
After the tsunami type prayer. Thanks!

Discerning of spirits mixed with 'mercy' has the potential to wipe one out. Others have discussed that here.

Just one more lesson on 'gifts' and their misuse in the naive.

PRAY ONE FOR ANOTHER - this type stuff is only the beginning of such phenomena. Wise as serpents and harmless as doves is a hard one.

LOVE HIM 1st !!!

YES!

2008/1/20 9:54

Re:

I tried Outlook Express Help, and it showed this:

Of course, you may not be able to contact your ISP because OE doesn't work, but it may help.

This is the answer I got to the nearest option
on Help (the exact problem wasn't shown)

[u]"I can connect to my ISP, but I can't send or receive e-mail."[/u]

"Check your e-mail account settings

On the Tools menu, click Accounts.
Select the e-mail account, and then click Properties.
On the Servers, Connection, and Advanced tabs, check the settings against those given to you by your Internet service provider (ISP).
If your settings match the ISP information, contact your ISP to verify that you have the correct information and that the ISP servers are operating correctly. Also, make sure your ISP server supports PPP, SMTP, and POP3 or IMAP protocols.

Did this fix the problem?

Yes. Close the troubleshooter.

[color=000066][u]No. I want to contact my ISP."[/u][/color]

Hope that helps

Jeannette

2008/1/20 10:06

Re: 'Desiring the "gifts" of The Spirit'

I Cor 1
12 Now I say this, that each of you says, "I am of Paul," or "I am of Apollos," or "I am of Cephas," or "I am of Christ."
13 Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you?

Hi ChrisJD,

I want to take this real slow and see where we can get to. You said

Quote:
people who do desire and seek after gifts are not following God

I do see where you're going with the whole sentence you wrote, but I feel you've begun it with an oxymoron.

The way you wrote your question, implies there is something wrong with being able to recognise error, and that those who did, in pointing to Christ, were at fault. But, I accept that Paul found them all at fault, possibly reducing Christ to an equally human teacher as the others. In these circumstances, it took a word from Paul to help them [i]all[/i] see the bigger picture. And clearly, he was in favour of the operation of the gifts of the Spirit [i]by the Corinthians[/i]. Not everyone's spiritual gift is for the church meeting, though. It may function more obviously during some other part of the week.

Quote:

And if it is.... what? It is an offence to urge others to seek Christ-likeness? :-?

When Jesus distributed to the servants in His parable, they were [i]expected[/i] to seek increase. This was basic to God's promises of worldly prosperity associated with the keeping of the Old Covenant. Under the New Covenant, the increase is spiritual. Paul's exhortation in Ephesians 5 amounts to 'be being [continuously] filled with the Spirit' (v 18), the idea being that the fuller one is of the Spirit, the more one is able to walk worthy of the vocation to which one has been called.

Your query brings to mind the saying (which God might have inspired at some past time) that 'if one wants to get something done, ask a busy man to do it'. How much more in the things of God, do we need to be firing on all cylinders and taking on fuel at the same time?

2008/1/20 10:16

Re:

Thank you Jeannette, all is restored - plus some.

I could receive, but couldn't send.
THANKS!

Quote Dorcas: "How much more in the things of God, do we need to be firing on all cylinders and taking on fuel at the same time?"

Amen.

Sis, one thing I'm learning more than ever is - the enemy knows we need that "time" alone with HIM for this - so the enemy will send overload situations into your life to keep you VERY BUSY.

Hmmm !

When you're running on fumes - look out. :-(

No matter how long we are saved - the enemy is still wiser than us. We're constantly learning his tactics - if we're wise enough to know that we don't know everything. ha - trying to laugh.

Even if you shut your ringer off on your phone - have your email shut down - there's always another way that he can wear out the saints.

Wise as serpents and harmless as doves IS tough - but all the more to learn, the weapons of our warfare is not carnal.

GOD Bless!

2008/1/20 11:33

Re: 'Desiring the "gifts" of The Spirit'

Annie said

Quote:
Sis, one thing I'm learning more than ever is - the enemy knows we need that "time" alone with HIM for this - so the enemy will send overload situations into your life to keep you VERY BUSY.

Hmmm !

When you're running on fumes - look out.

Point taken. Am I sounding bossy? It's a cover-up. My life is totally out of control on the ground, apart from the wonder of having God as my Father. Every day I'm doing one more thing to wrench things back into control.

I remember years ago that it came to scientific analysis, that computer programmers and those working with computers, usually had two issues to contend with. One was that time ran away from them as they got such a buzz out of their 'work'. The other was, that no computer ever answered back, and it was a refuge from past or present emotional strains, to get later and later for dinner at home.

So meanwhile, I'd like to apologise to anyone who's choking here.

2008/1/20 11:56

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy