SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "Desiring the 'gifts' of The Spirit"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

Christinyou wrote:
Who is the Gifted One?

Who distributes the Gifts as He pleases.

None of the gifts will be used unless it is Christ in you that wants them used and the Holy Spirit makes sure they are as Christ says.

John 15:4-5 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

The Vine is the gifted One, the Holy Spirit is the One that distributes the Gifts of the Gifted One Jesus Christ.

John 15:4-5 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit of itself, except it abide in the vine; no more can ye, except ye abide in me. I am the vine, ye are the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

Then the Holy Spirit can distribute the Gifts as He Pleases.

John 16:13-15 Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come, he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come. He shall glorify me: for he shall receive of mine, and shall shew it unto you. All things that the Father hath are mine: therefore said I, that he shall take of mine, and shall shew it unto you.

We are not the gifted ones. He that is in us is the only Gifted One and a mind given to Christ and presenting your bodies a living sacrifice are the only way through Jesus Christ that a gift may be operated, not as we choose but as He chooses.

In Christ the only Gifted One: Phillip

AMEN! As someone said, the Gift of God is [i]GOD[/i]!!!

2008/1/19 16:52

Re:

Quote:

psalm1 wrote:
HE-Reigns, I am not an English teacher but if i had a bowl of different fruit on my table and someone said "look at that bowl of fruits",wouldn't you correct them?
Reindeer is plural and singular is it not?
Maybe I am wrong but this stuck out to me

David

I've heard it explained this way:

LOVE is the fruit, because God is Love. [i][b]Within[/b][/i] that fruit called "Love" are all the manifestations of that Love - joy, peace... goodness, kindness etc.

Not like a bowl of fruits on a table but [i]one[/i] wonderful sweet Fruit of Jesus' life in us, with many ingredients.

How many ingredients are there in your favourite fruit? Maybe it looks good, smells good, tastes delicious because it is sweet and juicy. It contains vitamins and other nutrients that do you good as well as improving the taste.

All in one fruit!

Blessings

Jeannette

2008/1/19 16:59

Re:

Quote:

psalm1 wrote:
Chris, I am not sure either but HE_Reigns did clarify something .
Normally I would tell anybody to "go for it" concerning the gifts.
But the massacre that has happened both with the tv preachers and the watchdogs has just about worked its way to "no gifts"
The major revivals that I attended [at tremendous loss and sacrifice] were like the gifts on steroids.
The brethren here have corrected me to the point that I am beginning to think they are in a position of "making the gifts anemic enough to where they will just fade into the sunset".
The gifts have become a theological debate.
we think it pious and so correct to say"I seek his face and not his hand" or "dont seek the gifts, seek the giver"
This has an ELEMENT of truth but is easily turned into "no gifts" by the people predisposed that way .
Now this is interesting......suppose the Antichrist calls down fire from heaven.
This is a false miracle.
I believe many people that reject Gods gifts for whatever reason have a greater chance of deception to the false than those that have spent countless hours in the presence of God and seen God work through miracles signs and wonders.

David

Hi David

Norman Meeten (whom Dorcas will know) used to call spiritual gifts, "Tools of Love".

The gifts [i][b]are[/b][/i] to be desired because of what the Fruit (= Love) can do with them!

1Cor 13 speaks of what happens if the Fruit is missing when the gifts are used.

I don't think anyone on this thread, least of all Annie, is disparaging the gifts, or saying that we shouldn't seek them, only that we should have the right [i]motives[/i] when we seek them.

Similar to when Jesus said, "Seek [i][b]first[/b][/i] the kingdom of God and his righteousness, [b]and all these things[/b] [food, drink, clothes etc] [b]shall be added...[/b]". He didn't mean we should despise the necessities of life, any more than we should despise spiritual gifts. If we seek Him [i][b]first[/b][/i] the gifts will follow. Or if we "earnestly seek the best gifts" in order to better [i]express[/i] His Love to others.

Gifts hung on a Christmas tree look pretty, but what use are they if they aren't taken off and used to bless someone?

Do we earnestly desire spiritual gifts to make ourselves "look pretty"? Or do we desire them for the sake of the Body?

I haven't seen anyone on this thread saying anything different from that, even if the wording has caused misunderstanding for some.

in Him

Jeannette

2008/1/19 17:13

Re:

Quote:
Hi Annie, you left out verses 4-6. How come?

"I thank my God always on your behalf, for the grace of God which is given you by Jesus Christ; That in every thing ye are enriched by him, in all utterance, and in all knowledge; Even as the testimony of Christ was confirmed in you:"

How come?

I left it out because I didn't want to come against you saying that Paul was praising them - He was praising GOD for the Grace given them and that they were in everything enriched by Him in those things, BY the Apostle and whomever else taught them and that they were Saved.

He then goes on to do both - exhort - correct - exhort - correct and exhort. Amazing how he left chpt 5 until chpt 5.

That one - I thought - would be the first to be addressed - but I'm not Paul - fer shur!

Quote:
Also Annie, if I could ask you this:

What do you hope to accomplish by this discussion? As I had asked before, what is the point for this thread, as you see it?

Thanks.

Because I love His Word. That's about it Brother. All of it blesses. Accomplish? Only what His Word can accomplish in us.

Thanks!!!

His Love for what He Loves.

God Bless!

2008/1/19 17:21
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi again Annie,

So Annie, you choosen to talk about a subject that is very controversial at the moment, in a public forum that is viewed in different parts of the world, because you love God's word?

Did I understand you correctly?

2008/1/19 17:28Profile

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
Hi again Annie,

So Annie, you choosen to talk about a subject that is very controversial at the moment, in a public forum that is viewed in different parts of the world, because you love God's word?

Did I understand you correctly?

Quote:
Annie wrote:
Because I love His Word. That's about it Brother. All of it blesses. Accomplish? Only what His Word can accomplish in us.

Thanks!!!

His Love for what He Loves.

God Bless!

Yes, I hope you understand.

The "gifts" are world wide - a from the same Bible topic. Much unlike some teachings of late.

And brother, if the topic is "controversial" --- but has been since at least Corinth --- then let's look at what His Word says in context together. No different than any other topic that concerns all His saints, everywhere.

LORD Bless!

2008/1/19 17:37
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Hi Annie,

No, I don't understand really.

So you don't feel any responsibility for creating controvery if it arises from your choice to post these things here?

Do you believe you have the right to do so, that is, introduce controversial subjects at your pleasure?

2008/1/19 17:41Profile

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
Also Annie, if I could ask you this:

What do you hope to accomplish by this discussion? As I had asked before, what is the point for this thread, as you see it?

Thanks.

Chris, why don't you just ask [i]the Lord[/i] what [i]He[/i] wants to say [i]to you[/i] through this discussion, and give Annie a break!

in Him

Jeannette

2008/1/19 18:38
psalm1

Re:

Annie, if it is in the word then I am compelled to apply what Jesus made available to me.
If Jesus said desire gifts then I know what to do.
And yes I do not know any difference in Jesus' Deity whether before ,during or after incarnation.
I dont draw the separation you do.
i wouldnt want to try and tell Elisha"you must not do what you are doing. You have to just seek God and he will somehow give you what he sees fit. You are worshipping that mantle"
The gifts wont come on us automatically as he sees fit.

Thats why Paul says earnestly desire the best gifts.
I dont know how desire becomes worship. I dont
come to that conclusion and dont understand those that do.

-----------------------------------------------

Quote:

HE_Reigns wrote:
Thank you LittleGift for that excellent analogy of the "fruit" of The Spirit.

Quote:

The emphasis still should not be "the gifts" and that is exactly why Paul had to write all of that to the Church at Corinth. They were Greeks and were going bonkers over there with these things. One needs to read those multiple chapters addressed to them in context to get the drift of what was going on there and why Paul ...

Annie, Is that why you left off vs 31 ? for context?

That is why Paul said "but covet earnestly the best gifts."
------------------------------------------------

Jesus depended on The Father to raise Lazarus. He "looked up and prayed to the Father for answer" before God rose Lazarus through Jesus. YOU cannot raise the dead
------------------------------------------------
Annie,
I dont see where Jesus prayedd for answer. Nowhere does the father speak.
In fact Jesus had just corrected her by saying "I am the resurrection and the life"
And his resurrection power is further testified of in that he actually raised himself from the dead.
"Desttroy this temple and in three days I will raise it up"

Jesus says I can raise the dead.
Mat 10;7&8
"And as you go.........Heal the sick,cleeanse the leopers,RAISE THE DEAD........"

David

2008/1/19 19:21Profile
MrBillPro

Texas

Re:

Quote:

ChrisJD wrote:
Hi Annie,
So you don't feel any responsibility for creating controversy if it arises from your choice to post these things here?
Do you believe you have the right to do so, that is, introduce controversial subjects at your pleasure?

Chris, read my signature line and it will explain that "NO ONE" understands its all perfectly, so sometimes rather we want to believe it or not it becomes opinions. I am sure we all try our best in good faith to explain things the best we can as to what we believe the Spirit of truth speaks to us, but even explaining it the best we can has to end up in a happy medium of opinion and truth, because even God tells us we will never totally understand it all. We should at some point learn to humble ourselves and not necessarily admit defeat because this should not be like a competition but meet each other half way if at all possible, because if we can't possibly totally understand it all anyway "God said that I did not", we should use this as a form of teaching even ourselves through others opinions and beliefs and with an open mind of understanding. Sometimes it's better here to just drop out of some discussions "trust me" than let the discussion get carried away to were it might cause some animosity, because if that happens it becomes a no win situation anyway, because at that point it doesn't matter who is right or wrong it does not Glorify God so we all lose even God.

2008/1/19 22:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy