SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : "Desiring the 'gifts' of The Spirit"

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread

"Desiring the 'gifts' of The Spirit"

I believe it may be very important to have an accurate view of the 'gifts'.

The verses in these 3 Chapters [u]must[/u] each be read in context - as they were written. Just as each sentence begins with a conjunction for that purpose. To seperate these verses from the context - from the surrounding verses, is to mis-interpret the subject of the gifts.
These three Chpt.s cover 'His' Body which is ONE Body, of which He is The Head --- Main Point.

- the 9 Manifestation gifts.

1Co 12:4 Now there are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit.

1Co 12:5 And there are differences of administrations, but the same Lord.

1Co 12:6 And there are diversities of operations, but it is the same God which worketh all in all.

1Co 12:7 [i]But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal.[/i]

1Co 12:8 For to one is given by the Spirit the [u]word of wisdom[/u]; to another the [u]word of knowledge[/u] by the same Spirit;

1Co 12:9 To another [u]faith [/u]by the same Spirit; to another the gifts of [u]healing[/u] by the same Spirit;

1Co 12:10 To another the working of [u]miracles[/u]; to another [u]prophecy[/u]; to another [u]discerning of spirits[/u]; to another [u]divers kinds of tongues[/u]; to another the [u]interpretation of tongues[/u]:

1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man [b][u][i]severally as he will.[/i] [/u]

1Co 12:14 For the body is not one member, but many.

1Co 12:15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

1Co 12:16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

1Co 12:17 If the whole body were an eye, where were the hearing? If the whole were hearing, where were the smelling?

1Co 12:18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, [u]as it hath pleased Him.[/u]

1Co 12:19 And if they were all one member, where were the body?

1Co 12:20 But now are they many members, yet but one body.

1Co 12:21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

1Co 12:22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:

1Co 12:23 And those members of the body, which we think to be less honorable, upon these we bestow more abundant honor; and our uncomely parts have more abundant comeliness.

1Co 12:24 For our comely parts have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honor to that part which lacked:

1Co 12:25 That there should be no schism in the body; but that the members should have the same care one for another.

1Co 12:26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honored, all the members rejoice with it.

1Co 12:27 Now ye are the body of Christ, and members in particular.[/b]

- the Motivational Gifts.

Rom 12:1 [b]I beseech you therefore, brethren, by the mercies of God, that ye present your bodies a living sacrifice, holy, acceptable unto God, which is your reasonable service.

Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what is that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

Rom 12:3 For I say, through the grace given unto me, to every man that is among you, not to think of himself more highly than he ought to think; but to think soberly, according as God hath dealt to every man the measure of faith.

Rom 12:4 For as we have many members in one body, and all members have not the same function:

Rom 12:5 So we, being many, are one body in Christ, and every one members one of another. [/b]

Rom 12:6 Having then gifts differing according to the grace that is given to us, whether [u]prophecy[/u], let us prophesy according to the proportion of faith;

Rom 12:7 Or [u]ministry/serving[/u], let us wait on our ministering: or he that teacheth, on [u]teaching;[/u]

Rom 12:8 Or he that exhorteth, on [u]exhortation[/u]: he that [u]giveth/giving[/u], let him do it with simplicity; he that [u]ruleth[/u], with diligence; he that showeth [u]mercy[/u], with cheerfulness.

Rom 12:9 Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

the 5 Ministerial Gifts.

Eph 4:1 I therefore, the prisoner of the Lord, beseech you that ye walk worthy of the vocation wherewith ye are called,

Eph 4:2 [b]With all lowliness and meekness, with longsuffering, forbearing one another in love;

Eph 4:3 Endeavoring to keep the unity of the Spirit in the bond of peace.

Eph 4:4 There is one body, and one Spirit, even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;

Eph 4:5 One Lord, one faith, one baptism,

Eph 4:6 One God and Father of all, who is above all, and through all, and in you all.

Eph 4:7 But unto every one of us is given grace according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

Eph 4:8 Wherefore he saith, When he ascended up on high, he led captivity captive, and gave gifts unto men.[/b]

Eph 4:9 (Now that he ascended, what is it but that he also descended first into the lower parts of the earth?

Eph 4:10 He that descended is the same also that ascended up far above all heavens, that he might fill all things.)

Eph 4:11 And he gave some,[u] apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers[/u];

Eph 4:12 For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:

Eph 4:13 [b]Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ:

Eph 4:14 That we henceforth be no more children, tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine, by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;

Eph 4:15 But speaking the truth in love, may grow up into him in all things, which is the head, even Christ:

Eph 4:16 From whom the whole body fitly joined together and compacted by that which every joint supplieth, according to the effectual working in the measure of every part, maketh increase of the body unto the edifying of itself in love. [/b]

To say it directly - once our eyes are on "the gift", we'll go off.

Any Saint, that has gotten their eyes off of themselves - dying to self - can potentially be used in all of the above, as He Wills - because they will be on this earth, just as He was. He lowered Himself and took our form. Dependent on The Father to direct His every thought, word and action.

We won't be looking to see if we are being used in a gift - nor take notice when we are - we'll just "walk in Him" and the works that He did, any Saint may do also - to the degree that we decrease so that He will increase - seeking His Glory and His Will only and to live for others only, as He did.

To look at oneself for what gifts we are being used in is Not From Him.

To desire to be like Jesus. To be transformed into His Image. To have His Mind. To be full of Truth and nothing but His Truth - that is our goal - not "gifts" - but to [i]be like Him.[/i]

The "gifts" will manifest without self being involved, through any Saint that is dying to self. To the degree that they die to self - to that degree they will do what He did.

He had All the "[i]gifts[/i]" - we are to be as He was in the world.
He depended 100% on the Spirit. If we stop our autonomous way of thinking and living - as He walked totally dependent on the Father for every word, thought and deed - then it won't be "gifts" that we'll be looking for, but just to obey the Father in whatever He would have us to do, think or say and "gifts" are just part of Him living His life through us. They are not to be glorified - He is.

Luk 10:19 Behold, I give unto you power to tread on serpents and scorpions, and over all the power of the enemy: and nothing shall by any means hurt you.
Luk 10:20 [i]Notwithstanding in this rejoice not, that the spirits are subject unto you; but rather rejoice, because your names are written in Heaven. [/i]

God Bless.

2008/1/2 10:46
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re: "Desiring the 'gifts' of The Spirit"

Reply to HE_Reigns

The willingness to lay down your life and serve others is commensurate on the amount of the gifts of love and charity that motivates you to serve others. Don’t bury your gift, began to serve others as much as the gifts of love and charity allow you.

2008/1/2 11:16Profile

Re:

Hia Brother.

There are "gifts" and then there are "Commandments".

Charity [i]is[/i] "Agape"/Love.

To Love and sacrifice oneself is a commandment.

Love is not listed as a "gift", wherein, some are 'gifted' with more love than others are.

Love is a "choice".

We don't "choose" our 'gifts' mentioned above.
We can desire - but God chooses.

2008/1/2 11:34
suzy

Devon, England

Re: "Desiring the 'gifts' of The Spirit"

Quote:
once our eyes are on "the gift" we'll go off

Praise God! At last someone is saying what I have always believed to be true and what I was taught when I first became a Christian. We are to be available to God to be used in any of the Gifts of the Spirit as and when He sees fit.

I am so fed up with people asking "what is your gift?" and people trying to discover their gift(s). What nonsense!

The Gifts belong to God to use as and when He wants and through whomsoever He wants. We just need to be empty and willing vessels. The Gifts of the Holy Spirit are not just for “meetings” – we should expect God to use us as we go through our ordinary daily lives.

Suzy

2008/1/2 11:45Profile

Re:

Hi Suzy, I think you'll enjoy this as I do, by Paul then Leonard Ravenhill. :-)

[b]Php 3:7-14 But what things were gain to me, those I counted loss for Christ. Yea doubtless, and I count all things but loss for the excellency of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord: for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and do count them but dung, that I may win Christ, and be found in him, not having mine own righteousness, which is of the law, but that which is through the faith of Christ, the righteousness which is of God by faith: that I may know him, and the power of his resurrection, and the fellowship of his sufferings, being made conformable unto his death; if by any means I might attain unto the resurrection of the dead. Not as though I had already attained, either were already perfect: but I follow after, if that I may apprehend that for which also I am apprehended of Christ Jesus. Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before, I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.

Quotes by Leonard Ravenhill

My goal is God Himself.
Not joy.
Not peace.
Not even blessing, but Himself, my God.
It is His to lead me there, not mine but His,
At any cost, dear Lord, by any road.
So faith bounds forward to its goal in God and love can trust our Lord to lead her there.
I pray by Him my soul will follow hard ’til God has at last fulfilled my deepest prayer
No matter if the way become sometimes dark.
No matter if the cost be often great.
He knoweth how I best should reach the mark.
The way that leads to Him must need be straight.
One thing I know, I cannot say to Him nay.
One thing I do, I press toward my God.
The secret of the life of the apostle was this - you want to know – it’s "this one thing I do" - he never got into sidetracks.
He never got into business like so many preachers do.
This one thing I do, it will be hell to get there.
I forget – one of the old puritan preachers said in the 1600s - you have to go through hell to get to heaven.
You have to lose everything in order to become the part of the Bride of Jesus Christ.
One thing I know, I cannot say to Him nay.
One thing I do, I press toward my Lord.
My God, my glory here from day to day.
And in the glory then, my great reward. [HIM]

Christianity hasn’t been tried and found wanting…
It’s been tried and found difficult and rejected.[/b]

2008/1/2 13:05

Re:

Ah, one more by A.B. Simpson - 1904 ~

[b]Once it was the blessing,
Now it is the Lord;
Once it was the feeling,
Now it is His Word;
Once His gift I wanted,
Now, the Giver own;
Once I sought for healing,
Now Himself alone.

Refrain

All in all forever,
Jesus will I sing;
Everything in Jesus,
And Jesus everything.

Once ’twas painful trying,
Now ’tis perfect trust;
Once a half salvation,
Now the uttermost;
Once ’twas ceaseless holding,
Now He holds me fast;
Once ’twas constant drifting,
Now my anchor’s cast.

Refrain

Once ’twas busy planning,
Now ’tis trustful prayer;
Once ’twas anxious caring,
Now He has the care;
Once ’twas what I wanted,
Now what Jesus says;
Once ’twas constant asking,
Now ’tis ceaseless praise.

Refrain

Once it was my working,
His it hence shall be;
Once I tried to use Him,
Now He uses me;
Once the pow’r I wanted,
Now the Mighty One;
Once for self I labored,
Now for Him alone.

Refrain

Once I hoped in Jesus,
Now I know He’s mine;
Once my lamps were dying,
Now they brightly shine;
Once for death I waited,
Now His coming hail;
And my hopes are anchored
Safe within the veil.

Refrain[/b]

Bless GOD!

2008/1/2 13:12
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re:

Welcome back Annie! Glad your "retirement" went into retirement. :-)

Quote by HE_Reigns on 2008/1/2 10:34:02

Hia Brother.

There are "gifts" and then there are "Commandments".

Charity is "Agape"/Love.

To Love and sacrifice oneself is a commandment.

Love is not listed as a "gift", wherein, some are 'gifted' with more love than others are.

Love is a "choice".

We don't "choose" our 'gifts' mentioned above.
We can desire - but God chooses.

-----------------------------------------------
Very well said.

Perhaps this should be transferred over to the several threads regarding "prophets".

Sad that so many are focused upon "MY" gift, rather than His "unspeakable Gift" (see 2 Corinthians 9:15) and rather than merely seeking God until He commands, period! Paul undoubtedly was the most "gifted" Christian that has ever lived in intellect, spiritual gifts, anointed energy and zeal for God, and etc... and no doubt served at the Lord's leading in all the above gifts... But, as other threads here have pointed out, his focus was upon the "ONE THING I DO". And his focus was not upon what he HAD done, past tense, but upon continually and constantly and consistently seeking to know the Lord Jesus Christ, counting any and all suffering in that quest as unworthy of mentioning, for the sheer joy of pleasing Christ.

Those who would aspire to exercise some "gift" will no doubt find with the minimal research in church history that the "gift" of suffering, being crushed, being mutilated as far as this flesh is concerned (as Peter also says) is usually (not always) the prerequiste to the fragrance of Christ coming out in their lives.

Clint

2008/1/2 13:19Profile
broclint

West Monroe, LA

Re:

Wow you folks can type/post fast!

mine was supposed to be right after the quote... too slow :-)

2008/1/2 13:29Profile

Re:

Hey Brother Clint. I'm glad you were 'pokey'. :-)

Look you posted Phil 3. By 2 or 3 is something established. (paraphrased)

This past summer, the Lord spoke to my spirit about "olives being squashed to the max, to get the olive oil out". Yes Sir - what you've said on "suffering, being crushed, being mutilated as far as this flesh is concerned" is right on target.

And as you wrote - "constantly and consistently seeking to Know the Lord Jesus Christ" - Amen.

No greater gift can we give Him than ourselves, as a living sacrifice, to do with us as He pleases. Even if it's just cleaning commodes at the Church. Amen!

Dying to self - as Suzy wrote.

"That I might Know Him" - the rest is just the by-products.

I do pray this year though - that "discernment" will increase through-out the Church, with that proper measure of [i]mercy[/i] combined.

All believers should learn/know HIS Voice, as well as their own - John 10.

And then John 16:13 will be the by-product of knowing His Voice well.

He promised to 'all' of His own, 'The Spirit of Truth' and the Overcomers, 'the testimony of Jesus, which is the spirit of prophecy'.
John 10 - John 16:13 and Rev 19:10 go hand in hand and are for all of His Elect - everyone of them.
Pray discernment between truth & error for The Saints, during this apostasy and until He Comes.

Bless God and [u]Thank you[/u] Brother.

"....for the sheer joy of pleasing Christ." :-)

2008/1/2 14:28
suzy

Devon, England

Re:

HE_Reigns - Thank you for the challenging passage from Phillipians and Leonard Ravenhill’s comments. Here is the hymn from which he is quoting. I have not sung it for a very long time. They are words I would not want to sing unless I meant every word.

My goal is God Himself, not joy nor peace;
Nor even blessing, but Himself, my God.
'Tis His to lead me there, not mine but His...
At any cost, dear Lord, by any road.

So faith bounds forward to its goal in God,
and love can trust her Lord to lead her there.
Upheld by Him, my soul is foll'wing hard,
Till God hath full fulfilled my deepest prayer.

No matter if the way be sometimes dark,
No matter though the cost be oft-times great,
He knoweth how I best shall reach the mark,
The way that leads to Him must needs be straight.

One thing I know, I cannot say Him nay;
One thing I do, I press on towards my Lord.
My God, my Glory here from day to day,
And in the glory there, my Great Reward.

- Frederick Brook

Love is also one of the Fruits of the Spirit

Galatians 5 v 22-23

“But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance (self-control): against such there is no law.”

The fruit contrasts well against the works of the flesh in verses 19 – 21.

Fruit develops on the trees, so sometimes our fruit may be a little ‘immature’, but the fruit will develop and improve over time as we go through life’s trials and pleasures. We need to allow the Lord to develop this fruit in our lives. He will!

A good friend of mine used to preach that people should be able to come and 'pick' the fruit as they needed. Something to think about - can people do that from the fruit in my life? Will they find peace with me when they have found strife, or gentleness where there was harshness? There is so much hatred and turbulence in life today; O to be an oasis of the Fruit of the Spirit.

Suzy

2008/1/2 14:42Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy