SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : A Breif Exhortation Concerning Theology and Division

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
EvanSchaible

"No Certain dwellingplace"

A Breif Exhortation Concerning Theology and Division

In recent times I have seen amongst dear brothers and friends a very tragic scenario played out. Something of which we read in the 1st epistle to the Corinthian church when Paul makes a staggering accusation calling the brethren there carnal.

"Now this I say, that every one of you saith, I am of Paul; and I of Apollos; and I of Cephas; and I of Christ. Is Christ divided? was Paul crucified for you? or were ye baptized in the name of Paul?" (1Co 1:12-13)

Recently there has been a resurgence of the study of theology. This in and of itself is not a bad thing and is actually a sign that a near revival may in fact be on the horizon as a hunger for the apostolic faith always proceeds and results in historical revival. So the hunger for a return to the apostolic way is actually a sign of the times as we can expect a great reviving of the church of God before the return of Christ to set up His millennial kingdom. However, the saddening thing is that we have not just witnessed a hunger for truth, we have also seen a sharp division, if not actual and vivid, hidden and vague. The division may not be in causing visible sects and groups; the division may very well be a sectarian mindset that leaves us mentally divided and maybe even unconsciously anathematizing certain brethren simply because their view of this or that thing differs slightly than ours.

The saddening thing is that we have many people who are strikingly similar to aspiring cult leaders. The classic mindset of unity in the essentials has been lost in our uncanny ability to major on the minors. The forest has been lost in our microscopic examination of why certain birds prefer to nest in birch tree rather than willows. I think it is time we take a step back in retrospect and find out where exactly we lost our love for the forest and the other observers, even if they may disagree with our limited knowledge of the intricacies of each point of study.

I have said before that the modern church is like the ancient Greek Areopagus, always searching for that new idea. Sadly the new idea, and each modern theological development is in actuality a step away from true apostolicity. Rather than seeking the new we need the old. Jesus said that "no man having tasted the old wine straightway desires the new". So the question has to be asked whether or not the ones we see constantly seeking the newest strain of popular thought have actually tasted of the old time apostolic reality. When we cut through the hazy fog of complicated theology and regain the simplicity that is in Christ, returning to a sense of the vital reality of God, division disappears with our insatiable appetite for the newest doctrinal development.

Never in history have we seen such a shift in the doctrinal winds; and never in history have we seen such a large number of influential men and woman get blown away with the winds. It seems that as the westerlies of heresy begin to blow, we are hearing in greater number the snap of sails blown taught as the spinnakers of man's wisdom cause many a immature believer to crash into the rocks of confusion and division. We must learn again to rightly divide the truth so that we don't wrongly divide the church.

So we must be careful to heed the words of scripture rather than reasoning with them. In our systematizing we have become hearers of the word, but not doers. We have lost the preciousness of the words of Christ. Jesus said that the doctrine is known to be true if we are doers of the word. So let us concentrate on the classic words of the hymn "Trust and obey for their is no other way". One day someone will pick up the Bible and simply believe, and when they do all of our perceived intelligence and presumption will be squashed by a demonstration of power, rather than simply a dry and powerless logical progression.

Let us take heed as the time quickly approaches.

- Evan Schaible
http://GetWisdom.net

2007/12/24 18:40Profile

Re: A Breif Exhortation Concerning Theology and Division

Thanks Evan, I always enjoy your articles. I have a question for anyone who cares to answer. I know apostles are for today. How do we recognize one, in what manner do they come as far as in the body of Christ and how do you think they will play a part in the last days?

2007/12/24 20:02

Could I ask... by 'apostolicity' do you mean 'apostleship' , with which term I am more familiar?

Or, how do you explain the difference (perhaps using another word which ends 'city', as an example)?

Acts 1:25
That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.

Romans 1:5
By whom we have received grace and apostleship, for obedience to the faith among all nations, for his name:

1 Cor 9:2
If I be not an apostle unto others, yet doubtless I am to you: for the seal of mine apostleship are ye in the Lord.

Galatians 2:8
(For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:)

2007/12/24 21:34
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Recently there has been a resurgence of the study of theology. This in and of itself is not a bad thing and is actually a sign that a near revival may in fact be on the horizon as a hunger for the apostolic faith always proceeds and results in historical revival.

Quote:
and each modern theological development is in actuality a step away from true apostolicity.

[b]Apostolicity[/b] its actually a catholic word but I like the way brother Evan used it, I use it myself to declare the apostolic original in the book of Acts.

[b]Apostolicity[/b]
http://www.newadvent.org/cathen/01648b.htm

Quote:
We must learn again to rightly divide the truth so that we don't wrongly divide the church.

Great article.

2007/12/24 21:47Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Quote:
So we must be careful to heed the words of scripture rather than reasoning with them.

I would guess this lies at the heart of all apostasy...when we begin to argue with scripture we are in trouble....Hey, let'a admit it: we all are tempted to do it when God is asking something of us we just simply do not want to do! And we have found to our own hurt it does not pay to argue with God because we will never win!

Good article, Evan.

ginnyrose

2007/12/24 21:59Profile
theopenlife

Re:

Quote:
The saddening thing is that we have many people who are strikingly similar to aspiring cult leaders. The classic mindset of unity in the essentials has been lost in our uncanny ability to major on the minors. The forest has been lost in our microscopic examination of why certain birds prefer to nest in birch tree rather than willows.

That found a place in me.

Thanks, Evan.

The question is, which are the majors?

For me, it is
- Christ the sin bearer and full atonement
- salvation by grace through faith alone
- sanctification inseparable from assurance of salvation

What else?

2007/12/25 1:07Profile
davyman

Re:

Quote:

theopenlife wrote:
Quote:
The saddening thing is that we have many people who are strikingly similar to aspiring cult leaders. The classic mindset of unity in the essentials has been lost in our uncanny ability to major on the minors. The forest has been lost in our microscopic examination of why certain birds prefer to nest in birch tree rather than willows.

That found a place in me.

Thanks, Evan.

The question is, which are the majors?

For me, it is
- Christ the sin bearer and full atonement
- salvation by grace through faith alone
- sanctification inseparable from assurance of salvation

What else?

Thanks Michael,

I agree with you. Perhaps the five solas of the reformation would describe the essentials:

Grace alone
Faith alone
Christ alone
Scripture alone
To God alone be the glory.

SDG,

Dave

2007/12/25 6:37Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Quote:
Rather than seeking the new we need the old.

The heart beat of SermonIndex ...

Well said Evan. Something that has been rattling around in the background for some time, this area you are speaking to.

Quote:
In our systematizing ...

This is what concerns perhaps the most because it tends, if not out right, to color and shade how we disseminate things. Preconceived notions that are well trenched are hard to dislodge and the tense is to find just exactly what we are looking for to keep the buttress standing.

Wish I could find it, but it may be in the interview with Leonard Ravenhill and forgetting the exact structure of his words, the emphasis was that his great love for the classics had to do with "wanting to know what they knew" and that allowed a cutting across all kinds of grains and constructs ... "abominations" (denominations).

Guess I never do get tired of saying it, but I could but pray for some more theological ignorance in this fashion. By that I do certainly mean systematized and rigid. Christianity was never meant to be a study of academia but of the heart, a much more strenuous and exacting school if I may say so.

Quote:
One day someone will pick up the Bible and simply believe, and when they do all of our perceived intelligence and presumption will be squashed by a demonstration of power, rather than simply a dry and powerless logical progression.

Thank you brother.

2007/12/25 9:46Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

Re:

Hello and Merry Christmas to all.

My thoughts were along the same lines as crsschk

Around the world there are millions of builders but most are carnal and are not building by faith in the Word of God. The word of God has been rejected and put at naught by this generation of builders who are building again a carnal tower of theology built by theologians and scholars on the great religions of the words of man.
They preach that the prophetic words of our Lord found in the Gospels were written after John’s vision on the island of Patmos of the Judgment of Judea and the destruction of Jerusalem and Herod’s temple.

Do we believe God by faith or are we in allegiance with those that are Herod want a bees not willing to turn their eyes upon Jesus and to step out on living waters by faith and become members of the House of Prayer.

Do I say that those that attend church are little Herod’s? Heaven forbid. Thank God for houses of prayers, but keep in mind that we along are the Temples of our Living God.
True religion is found in the Book of
James 1: 27 Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

Do we believe the Bible and gather to praise God and His Word becoming living epistles from Christ and His Apostles, with the Words of God’s alive in our hearts sent to a lost world?

My prayers will be answered when the whole earth is of one language, and of one speech, The Word of God.

2007/12/25 11:57Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

True religion may be found in the book of James, but true LIFE is only found in Christ.

James 1:23-27 For if any be a hearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass: For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was. But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed. If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain. Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this, To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

This is true, but with out the Life of Christ in the believer there is only religion, not the life of God in the believer.

Galatians 2:14-21 But when I saw that they walked not uprightly according to the truth of the gospel, I said unto Peter before them all, If thou, being a Jew, livest after the manner of Gentiles, and not as do the Jews, why compellest thou the Gentiles to live as do the Jews? We who are Jews by nature, and not sinners of the Gentiles, Knowing that a man is not justified by the works of the law, but by the faith of Jesus Christ, even we have believed in Jesus Christ, that we might be justified by the faith of Christ, and not by the works of the law: for by the works of the law shall no flesh be justified. But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor. For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me. I do not frustrate the grace of God: for if righteousness come by the law, then Christ is dead in vain.

In the same way we may do the things of James and Religion, and try to build again the things that Christ has come to destroy, being that all good works originate from above through the Christ that is in us. We can do everything to take care of the widows and orphans and still not be in the center of God's will. That center is Christ in you the Hope of Glory. Then we can seek the things which are above and we will be in the will of God.

Colossians 1:26-29 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints: To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory: Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus: Whereunto I also labour, striving according to his working, which worketh in me mightily.

This is when true religion, which is not James but the Christ that is in you, begins Then we, in Christ, and I emphasize "In Christ", Then and only then are we able to do the Will of God.

Not our works, but His in us. Then true religion will be aaccomplished.

1Pe 4:11 If any man speak, [let him speak] as the oracles of God; if any man minister, [let him do it] as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.

Truly this is the answer to all the problems in the church. Philippians 4:6-9 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.

Philippians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

But without The Christ that is in us and the Holy Spirit revelation in the Mind of Christ we can do nothing.

Jhn 5:19 Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise.

We are the same in Christ: Jhn 15:5 I am the vine, ye [are] the branches: He that abideth in me, and I in him, the same bringeth forth much fruit: for without me ye can do nothing.

In Christ: Phillip

2007/12/25 17:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy