SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : My theology: Love God first, then you are free to live as you please.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

My theology: Love God first, then you are free to live as you please.

[b]Love God first, then you are free to live as you please.[/b]

That was the title of my teaching this past Sunday. Do y'all realize that the Christian life is just that simple? It is! How freeing is that?

Meditate on this. I did... for several days last week that was my meditation: Love God first, then you are free to live as you please.

Before you misunderstand what I'm saying... think about it. If you love God first, what will please you? Pleasing Him!

When you meet that special man or woman, and you realize you're in love, you'll lay awake at night thinking of ways you could please that person.

Do we do this with the Lord?

If you truly love God, then those things that dont please Him will be repulsive to you as well.

If you truly love God, holiness is not an issue for you. It's a pleasure to live in holiness.

How much do you love God?

Krispy

2007/12/4 9:22
Pursuit101

Re: My theology: Love God first, then you are free to live as you please.

This makes your love the measuring rod in moral issues, this makes your love the measuring point in ethics, this makes your love the measuring rod between you and God – you could stay being a humanist, Buddhist, communist or any other “ist”.

The Kingdom of God is marked by God’s love in operation through the Holy Spirit in our hearts – a very different approach.

Indeed Pursuit 101

2007/12/4 10:09Profile
mml

Quote:
If you truly love God, then those things that dont please Him will be repulsive to you as well.

Quote:
If you truly love God, holiness is not an issue for you. It's a [b]pleasure[/b] to live in holiness

:)

2007/12/4 10:12Profile
Compton

Hi Krispy,

Your theology reminds me of Galatians 5. But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

So in a very real way, we could say that the law is not for Christians, but for those who do not have the fruit of the Spirit.

You might enjoy [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?viewmode=flat&order=0&topic_id=10455&forum=35&post_id=&refresh=Go]this[/url] from Diane.

Blessings,

MC

2007/12/4 10:45Profile
Tears_of_joy

Quote:
How much do you love God?

Prior to this question is to answer and know what it means to love God.

I am afraid of sentimentalism, emotionalism and abstract use of terms like "pleasing God", "holiness", "love God". And also of illusion of thinking that we please Him, when we please our fleshly desires.

Spurgeon prayed this prayer and we should also:

"I pray that we may be able [u]to prove constantly by our acts,[/u] that Jesus Christ is He whom our soul loves."

We need to examine ourselves and look into the mirror of the simple and pure Word of God, and then ask ourselves, do we love God and how much we love Him, or we are just in great delusion.

Jam 1:23 For if any be a hearer of the word, [b]and not a doer,[/b] he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a glass:
Jam 1:24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
Jam 1:25 But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, [b]but a doer of the work,[/b] this man shall be blessed in his deed.
Jam 1:26 If any man among you seem to be religious, and bridleth not his tongue, but deceiveth his own heart, this man's religion is vain.
Jam 1:27 [b]Pure religion and undefiled before God and the Father is this,[/b] To visit the fatherless and widows in their affliction, and to keep himself unspotted from the world.

1Jo 3:17 But whoso hath this world's good, and seeth his brother have need, and shutteth up his bowels of compassion from him, [b]how dwelleth the love of God in him? [/b]

2007/12/4 11:00Profile

Re:

Quote:
This makes your love the measuring rod in moral issues, this makes your love the measuring point in ethics, this makes your love the measuring rod between you and God – you could stay being a humanist, Buddhist, communist or any other “ist”.

You did a fine job of missing what I was saying. :-)

...try again.

(Read Compton's post. He got it.)

Welcome to SI, by the way. Glad your here!

Krispy

2007/12/4 11:36

Re:

Quote:
I am afraid of sentimentalism, emotionalism and abstract use of terms like "pleasing God", "holiness", "love God". And also of illusion of thinking that we please Him, when we please our fleshly desires.

Dont think you're getting my point either. Just meditate on what I've written... and then maybe you'll get it. It takes some thinking. Thats why I dwelled on it for so long last week... when the thought first ran thru my mind I knew my first response was rather shallow and that there was something deeper to be had.

It's ok, because I dismissed this when I first thought it (or when the Holy Spirit planted the seed... whichever). But the more I dwelled on it the deeper things got, and it got really profound after awhile.

And thats all the help I'm gonna give everyone... I want to spark some thought and insight. It's a very simplistic thought, really. But if you're like me, initially you'll try to get all intellectual and theological about it... but it really isnt.

It's very simple, like the gospel. It's us who try to make it difficult.

Krispy

2007/12/4 11:42
davym

I feel this thread is well worth expanding on.

Quote:
Love God first, then you are free to live as you please.

This point is so simple yet so profound and is effectively the working out of our salvation. The problem is that none of us by nature want God. It takes us to be born again by the Spirit of God and this only comes by faith in the Lord Jesus Christ as our Saviour!

Many professors of Christianity if they search their hearts will discover that they only really seek the ‘blessings’ God can give us, but don’t seek God. Many churches have exploited this hunger for ‘blessings’ at the expense of the salvation of souls. If and when these ‘professors’ realise their error and repent of not just this sin, but all their sins and trust Christ for their salvation then we trust they will be born again and then capable of truly loving God (who has revealed Himself to us through His Son)

Believers must get a firm grip on the book of Romans! It will truly bless them. Below is an excerpt which I feel summarises the discussion on the thread so far. I feel we could discuss it on this thread until the end of time and still not get to the bottom of it. It’s wonderful! (especially v 23-26)

Romans 3 v 10-31 (KJV)
10As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:
11There is none that understandeth,[b] there is none that seeketh after God.[/b]
12They are all gone out of the way, they are together become unprofitable; there is none that doeth good, no, not one.
13Their throat is an open sepulchre; with their tongues they have used deceit; the poison of asps is under their lips:
14Whose mouth is full of cursing and bitterness:
15Their feet are swift to shed blood:
16Destruction and misery are in their ways:
17And the way of peace have they not known:
18There is no fear of God before their eyes.
19Now we know that what things soever the law saith, it saith to them who are under the law: that every mouth may be stopped, and all the world may become guilty before God.
20Therefore by the deeds of the law there shall no flesh be justified in his sight: for by the law is the knowledge of sin.
21But now the righteousness of God without the law is manifested, being witnessed by the law and the prophets;
22Even the righteousness of God which is by faith of Jesus Christ unto all and upon all them that believe: for there is no difference:
[b]23For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
24Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
25Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
26To declare, I say, at this time his righteousness: that he might be just, and the justifier of him which believeth in Jesus.[/b]
27Where is boasting then? It is excluded. By what law? of works? Nay: but by the law of faith.
28Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith without the deeds of the law.
29Is he the God of the Jews only? is he not also of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also:
30Seeing it is one God, which shall justify the circumcision by faith, and uncircumcision through faith.
31Do we then make void the law through faith? God forbid: yea, we establish the law.

2007/12/4 11:53Profile
Pursuit101

Re:

No, we do not miss your point. . .
If what you do for Christ and what you do for men only stems from your love, it is really inadequate, even sentimental.
It is not touched by the cross of Christ, which declares that man is inadequate – a dying is needed and a resurrection and a living unto God in his power, including his love is necessary.
If we preach man’s love as adequate, we do not preach the cross, which is God’s power unto salvation and, thereby, to adequate standards in ministry to both God and man.
This we pursue.

2007/12/4 11:57Profile

Re:

Pursuit... perhaps it is me that missed your point, instead of the other way around. Good points you make.

Davy... thats exactly what I'm looking for here. Excellent points!

Krispy

2007/12/4 12:06

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy