SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Another Minister Spending Habits Exposed

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 Next Page )
PosterThread
Sharlene

Houston, Tx

Another Minister Spending Habits Exposed

Spending raises questions.......This is a Pastor of a very large church in San Antonio

A reporter did contact several longtime church members upset by some of Godwin's spending habits, but they said they have felt intimidated to say so publicly.

Godwin wouldn't grant requests for an interview with a San Antonio Express-News reporter about church finances, including his travel and gifts, so it's unknown whether he has reimbursed the church for any of these expenses or accounted for them as compensation, in keeping with the 2005 audit recommendation

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/metro/stories/MYSA111807.01A.church.2a4b302

2007/11/18 16:41Profile

Re: Another Minister Spending Habits Exposed

Hi Sharlene, the link that you gave is dead as, "File not found". Is there another source?

2007/11/18 17:03
Sharlene

Houston, Tx

WOW, sorry, sure is maybe this will work

http://www.mysanantonio.com/

San Antonio Express-News is the name of the newspaper

2007/11/18 17:06Profile
lastblast

Michigan

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/religion/stories/MYSA111807.01A.church.2a4b302.html

2007/11/18 17:28Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

uh oh...

Greetings in Jesus' Name dear saints by Whose BLood we are Saved.AMEN.

it seems the recent revelations of instability in the U.S. economy/markets given the write downs of major financial companies due to the subprime mess, the fact that China is looking to further diversify its forex holdings to "stronger currencies" as the dollar weakens is set to do a number on us in short order. i have no idea how many billions of dollars the fed has printed to keep this thing afloat but if you want an idea of what having too much paper in the economy or can do, look at mexico and Zimbabwe...The prosperity gospel is about to be undone and i believe there are going to be a lot of angry people as a result...

things such as this ought to not surprise us, but i believe the greater thing to do, or what is required of us is to examine ourselves all the more closely to ensure that we are as clean as can be. it's easy to go off on a tear about this shady things but let's have God check us and cleanse us lest we be found to be worse than these...

God cleanse us.AMEN.

Grace and Peace are ours in JEsus.AMEN.

2007/11/18 19:00Profile
Compton

Re: our turn

What if our spending habits were exposed brethren? This coming weekend we kick off the biggest buying day of the year; a day referred to by some retailers as "black friday" because of the feeding frenzy.

Soon we will be celebrating the birth of the one who told us that life does not consist in the abundance of possessions, by loading our automobiles with possessions. (Not to mention loading our credit cards as well.)

Don't do it!

MC

2007/11/18 20:07Profile

Re:

Give and shall be given to you.

2007/11/18 20:38

MC said

Quote:
Don't do it!

Ive just discovered that the church I'm going to right now, is tending towards a prosperity gospel, based on 'the blessings of Abraham'.... yet again that pernicious mix of Old and New Covenant, which has the potential to lead brethren to destruction rather than life. I'm praying, now, I will be able to help them see something more worthy of their prayers.

chandras said
Quote:
Give and shall be given to you.

Brother, I wonder if you have listened to the excellent message by Esther Ibanga called 'Money and the New Move of God'? Sounds interesting, doesn't it? (Find it on the Home Page of SI, right hand side menu.)

I (personally) have never heard anything like it before. It has changed my life to know how [i]clear[/i] the Bible is on this matter. :-D

2007/11/18 21:05
lastblast

Michigan

Re: uh oh...

Quote:
The prosperity gospel is about to be undone and i believe there are going to be a lot of angry people as a result...

Hi Ironman,

I think there will be alot of HURTING, DISILLUSIONED people out there who will need compassion and truth in love. I have seen the damage done from the Church without Walls ministry of Randy/Paula White. When the divorce news broke, all the spending habits of the two was also exposed and many, many who gave to that ministry were so very hurt.

All of us need to speak the truth about these "wolves" among us who teach that Godliness is gain, but we also need to walk in compassion, knowing that many have been deceived by such. When they are exposed many are hurt..........some blame God. They need brothers and sisters around to love and assure them it was not God who let them down, but fallen man/woman who did not seek after the things of God, but the things of the flesh.......

2007/11/18 22:29Profile
Compton

Re:

Amen here

Quote:
...walk in compassion

We might remember that many who have followed the prosperity teachings, are not wealthy to begin. The propsperity Gospel does not attract just the middle and upper classes. Many people who are attracted to this promise are struggling already. For these superstitous people, their only mistake is the thought that these teachers might have some kind of spiritual solution to the crippling financial struggles in their lives. When poverty holds onto you like a spiritual curse, it's not so hard to believe there is a spiritual cure.

Yet how is it that poor and destitute people believe they have something to bargain with? All it takes to work their mojo is to pull the levers and turn the knobs of the pernicious bi-covenental gospel that Doracs mentioned. So we must be clear in our own Gospel, that there are no levers and knobs and that only bankrupt people need apply for grace..and then enjoy the life of Jesus without condemnation.

If we ourselves are not resting in richness of God's grace, we might be tempted to sell forgiveness for at least an emotional price. Yet consider how even misplaced anger can actually reinforce their misguided hope in prosperity; if God can judge them materially according to their behavior then doesn't that prove the theory that he can bless them materially too?

So when we issue forth specific condemnation we should be careful that it does not come from the force of our own spirit or we might very well deepen their confusion. Afterall, many of these people have never really grasped the Gospel! The deliverance for me was not my changing of behavior. Only when I dispaired in the utter futility of trying to please God in my own nature, and surrendered under the unfolding realization of my total condemnation, did I begin to finally see those first piercing rays of light that was the glory of the Gospel.

It is not their greed or avarice that condemns them...but their whole unnacounted sin. Likewise, it is not their 'repentence' that abates holy wrath, but it is the unfailing love of God, hung on an undeserved cross, that set's man free from his bargaining superstition. Now as long as there remains some notion of good in them, they still might have a chance to get something good and not something bad according to their behavior. But Divine Grace spares no illusions kept alive, offers no humanistic comfort that there is useful goodness abiding naturally in even the most hopeful religous person.

And after this inward collapse of man's spiritual economy, hasn't God embraced the humble bankrupt Christian, regardless of past debts and defaults, into his abundant heart? Then likewise, we must learn to encourage one another freely, and leave the blessing/cursing bargaining to the prosperity wolves. What we have been given isn't earned or merited...and so it isn't for sale or trade even for emotional currency.

MC

2007/11/19 1:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy