SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Christian Foster Parents Lose Foster Child - They Refused to Teach Him About Homosexuality

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Christian Foster Parents Lose Foster Child - They Refused to Teach Him About Homosexuality

[b]Foster child to be taken away because Christian couple refuse to teach him about homosexuality[/b]

They are devoted foster parents with an unblemished record of caring for almost 30 vulnerable children.

But Vincent and Pauline Matherick will this week have their latest foster son taken away because they have refused to sign new sexual equality regulations.

To do so, they claim, would force them to promote homosexuality and go against their Christian faith.

The 11-year-old boy, who has been in their care for two years, will be placed in a council hostel this week and the Mathericks will no longer be given children to look after.

The devastated couple, who have three grown up children of their own, became foster parents in 2001 and have since cared for 28 children at their home in Chard, Somerset.

Earlier this year, Somerset County Council's social services department asked them to sign a contract to implement Labour's new Sexual Orientation Regulations, part of the Equality Act 2006, which make discrimination on the grounds of sexuality illegal.

Officials told the couple that under the regulations they would be required to discuss same-sex relationships with children as young as 11 and tell them that gay partnerships were just as acceptable as heterosexual marriages.

They could also be required to take teenagers to gay association meetings.

When the Mathericks objected, they were told they would be taken off the register of foster parents.

The Mathericks have decided to resign rather than face the humiliation of being expelled.

Mr Matherick, a 65-year-old retired travel agent and a primary school governor, said: "I simply could not agree to do it because it is against my central beliefs.

"We have never discriminated against anybody but I cannot preach the benefits of homosexuality when I believe it is against the word of God."

Mrs Matherick, 61, said they had asked if they could continue looking after their foster son until he is found a permanent home, but officials refused and he will be placed in a council hostel on Friday.

She said: "He was very upset to begin with. We are all very close, but he's a mature young man and he's dealing with it."

The couple, who have six grandchildren and one greatgrandchild, are both ministers at the nonconformist South Chard Christian Church.

When they first started fostering they took in young single mothers and their babies.

More recently they have been caring for children of primary school age.

Mr Matherick added: "It's terrible that we've been forced into this corner. It just should not happen.

"There are not enough foster carers around anyway without these rules.

"They were saying that we had to be prepared to talk about sexuality with 11-year-olds, which I don't think is appropriate anyway, but not only that, to be prepared to explain how gay people date.

"They said we would even have to take a teenager to gay association meetings.

"How can I do that when it's totally against what I believe?"

Religious campaigners say the couple are the latest victims of an equality drive which puts gay rights above religious beliefs.

Christian, Jewish and Muslim leaders have complained that the rules force them to overturn long-held beliefs.

The Mathericks are planning to fight their case in the courts with the backing of the Lawyers' Christian Fellowship.

The same organisation is backing Christian magistrate Andrew McClintock who resigned from the family courts in a row over gay adoption.

He says he was forced to resign because he was not allowed to opt out of cases where he might have to send a child to live with gay parents.

The Mathericks' case comes at a time when there is a chronic shortage of foster parents, who work on a voluntary basis.

An extra 8,000 are needed to plug the gaps in the service.

Researchers have found that continually moving children from home to home can have a devastating impact on their education and general welfare.

But a report last year revealed that the shortage of carers meant that some children in care are being forced to move up to three times a year.

David Taylor, Somerset County Council's corporate director for children and young people, said: "No decision has been made about the deregistration of Mr and Mrs Matherick.

"The council is committed to promoting the interests of children and young people and welcomes foster carers from all backgrounds and faiths.

"[url=http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=489285&in_page_id=1770]Original Link - Daily Mail UK[/url]

2007/10/25 3:48

Re: Christian Foster Parents Lose Foster Child - They Refused to Teach Him About Homo

Wow... I assume this is in the UK? I can see it coming to the US in the near future. How pathetic. Foster parents are hard enough to find... and when they have a loving couple willing to open up their home to help these kids they get denied because they refuse to go along with the sodomite agenda? My my my...

Krispy

2007/10/25 7:45

Re: Christian Foster Parents Lose Foster Child - They Refused to Teach Him About Homo

What if the 11 year old doesn't want to have this gay propaganda pushed on him? But then again, he is a foster child and property of the state, he has no rights.

It used to be that democracy was "we the people" the majority, now it's "we the perverts" the minority, is demanding.

People have gone absolutely crazy.

They should do a mount Carmel test. Take two gay men and put them on one island, and take a man and a woman and put them on another island and lets see who survives. Lets see how "normal" this lifestyle really is.

2007/10/25 11:03

Re:

Well... homosexuality is one way of controlling the global population. They are not very good at reproducing.

Krispy

2007/10/25 12:05

Re:

Krispy said

Quote:
Foster parents are hard enough to find... and when they have a loving couple willing to open up their home to help these kids they get denied because they refuse to go along with the sodomite agenda? My my my...

Compliments said
Quote:
What if the 11 year old doesn't want to have this gay propaganda pushed on him?

It's not mere propaganda to further an agenda, they're seeking "converts" to their "religion".

I somehow doubt they'll stop at just teaching your kids this trash.

2007/10/25 13:41
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

This upsets me so bad, it about makes me vomit! ...ya better move back...pheufff! ..this just about drives me crazy! No common sense at all. Dumber then dumb, for sure...Makes me wonder how God can even stand it?! And to think in some quarters this philosophy has the support of a "church", not the one that belongs to Jesus, but the one the devil had infiltrated and now controls.

ginnyrose

2007/10/25 15:33Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

After posting my initial reaction to this info, I got to thinking more and this I want to share.

The times are getting worse and worse, this is no news and yet when we hear how bad it is it sickens one. Then I am reminded how God is in control, he knows all about this and I am wondering whether the church is at a Red Sea with an enemy behind and body of water before with no means of crossing it. Is he asking Believers to trust Him for deliverance from these legal restrictions?

I am now reminded of a story....I cannot verify it - it has been so long. Many years ago in Communists countries the government has removed children from godly homes and put them in orphanages. In one such incidence, these chidren took their training with them and spread the gospel among the children.

So, instead of trying to figure out how God could/would redeem this trying time, would it not be better to cast this situation at His feet to see how He would have the godly deal with it? We have lived in a comfortable culture so long which protected our rights as parents, but these are gradually being removed and the day will come - unless the LORD intervenes - when parents will have to depend totally on the LORD for His protection in maintaining a home.

These are some of my scattered thoughts...

ginnyrose

2007/10/25 18:20Profile
JelloTaster

Winnipeg MB

Re:

A brother I know believes that at some point we as Christians will be able to run orphanages again because the demand for child care will be so great. I'm not sure if or when this will happen but if it does, we'll all need to be ready to take on some of the load.

A bit of a parallel to this situation. I've been reading James Dobson's book about raising boys and he says in one chapter that the goal of the education system is no longer to teach academic basics, but rather the homosexual and other agendas. The goal of the foster care system is no longer the welfare of children but the indoctrination of them. Very sobering indeed.

Also, very encouraging that this couple stood for the truth. Chris

2007/10/25 19:50Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

This topic has bugged me ever since I read it. It is alot like a popcorn kernel stuck between two teeth that will not be dislodged.. :-o

It seems to me that Believers will be forced to be more creative in how to deal with children from disfunctional home or orphans. How can the church or individual Believers take the initiative in caring for these little ones? Seems to me we will be forced to think outside of the box - think in non-traditional ways. And what wicked men intended for evil might in fact be used for good by God - we are just ignorant of how that could be possible. "Where sin abounded, grace did much more abound" is still true today and we may soon be in situations where we will see this demonstrated on a regular basis. In the meantime, we are to live life to the full by staying close to the LORD.

ginnyrose

2007/10/26 11:17Profile
psalm1

corey, I borrowed this story to post on a blog here in town. A christian woman has been tried for murder for killing her 4 yr old foster son.
She gave him spices and water. he died the next day.
It came out in the trial that she didnt knowingly harm him.

She was convicted for not calling 9 11.
They say she withheld treatment.
LIFE IN PRISON WITHOUT THE POSS OF PAROLE.
This christian couple is under horrific attack due to their faith.

my city shamefully did this to them
Her name is Hannah overton. Google it and pray and post.

...David

2007/10/26 14:31Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy