SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Is speaking in tongues...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Is speaking in tongues ...

contd.

Moving on to the Holy Spirit as light: there was a group of believers in seventeenth century England, the Latitudinarians, who used this verse

Psalms 18:28
For thou wilt light my candle: the LORD my God will enlighten my darkness. {candle: or, lamp}

to justify their subtle rebellion against being told what to do by first one State religion and then another (Catholic or Protestant).

I think one may have some sympathy which what they were getting at, because even Paul mentions 'conscience' (Rom 2:15) as if this is an innate faculty for judging one's own state of rightness with the undefined authority of God. But, even in those days, the work of the Holy Spirit was widely recognised, and one cannot but conclude this is not what Latitudinarians taught.

Fyi, a while ago there was a thread about conscience in the Scripture and Doctrine forum which explored conscience in scripture.

Your statement about 'INNER LIGHT' offers nothing conciliatory towards Jesus' claim and John's testimony that He is the Light of the world, who makes His dwelling with a believer through the Spirit, with the Father (John 17).

John 9:5
"As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world."

Matthew 5:14
"You are the light of the world...

So now, how do you reconcile all these verses with a post in which you also claim to bow your mind to the [u]whole[/u] counsel of scripture?

Honestly, I'm not trying to be clever. Some people here on SI know their Bible's far better than I, and much of what you state is exactly what I also believe, but, for the sake of those reading, (at times) in over two hundred countries around the world, it behoves all of us to try to read what we've written as if we were an examiner, looking for clarity of expression and [u]facts[/u], in the answers given by a candidate, and sometimes, as if we had never heard them before. There is no hurry on my side, for you to reply today.

In my next post, I want to share what I understand about sanctification, especially since you have used alluded to our being sanctified by the word, which (doctrine) I believe can be based only upon Jesus own statement in John 15:3.

"Now you are clean through the word which I have spoken unto you."

To make sense, this cannot mean [i]only[/i] the written word. (?)

2007/9/25 9:20

Re:

Ephesians 5
1Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children;

2And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour.

3But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints;

4Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks.

5For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.

6Let no man deceive you with vain words: for because of these things cometh the wrath of God upon the children of disobedience.

7Be not ye therefore partakers with them.

8For ye were sometimes darkness, but now are ye light in the Lord: walk as children of light:

9(For the fruit of the Spirit is in all goodness and righteousness and truth;)

10Proving what is acceptable unto the Lord.

11And have no fellowship with the unfruitful works of darkness, but rather reprove them.

12For it is a shame even to speak of those things which are done of them in secret.

13But all things that are reproved are made manifest by the light: for whatsoever doth make manifest is light.

14Wherefore he saith, Awake thou that sleepest, and arise from the dead, and Christ shall give thee light.

15See then that ye walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise,

16Redeeming the time, because the days are evil.

17Wherefore be ye not unwise, but understanding what the will of the Lord is.

18And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;

19Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;

20Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;

21Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

22Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

23For the husband is the head of the wife, even as Christ is the head of the church: and he is the saviour of the body.

24Therefore as the church is subject unto Christ, so let the wives be to their own husbands in every thing.

25Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,

27That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.

28So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. He that loveth his wife loveth himself.

29For no man ever yet hated his own flesh; but nourisheth and cherisheth it, even as the Lord the church:

30For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

32This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

33Nevertheless let every one of you in particular so love his wife even as himself; and the wife see that she reverence

2007/9/25 12:04
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
why are people being mean spirited to each other on this thread?

Katy and others,

If discussions cannot be handled accurately then the thread will be locked and if members who are given admonishments continue to deflame anyone's character or argue with a divisive spirit then after a firm warning that account will be removed.

I encourage everyone to read these:

[b]MUST READ: SermonIndex Forum Disclaimer / Community Rules[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14144&forum=13&4

[b]Some notations regarding "This Forum"[/b]
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=19700&forum=13&4

2007/9/25 12:10Profile

Re:

Dorcus, here is my answer to your previous question about the Inner Light. I hope that will answer it for you.

Love in Christ
Katy-Did

Striking parallels exist between Quaker silent worship and the practice glossolalia [modern Pentecostalism]. At its best Quaker silent worship involves a kind of letting go, a lack of strain or effortful attention, a willingness to "flow" with the leading of the Spirit and with the larger movement of the entire meeting. ... As in the case of glossolalia, the process of speaking out of the silence and of listening in the silence involves a resting of the analytical mind, a refusal to let deliberative, objective thinking dominate the meeting. Rather, one tries to "center down" and become open to the ''inner light" within himself, to "that of God in every man,'' to the "leading of the Spirit.'' (Perspectives on the New Pentecostalism, Spitter, Richard A. Baer, 1976, p 154)
This kind of letting go of self be let the spirit flow, is present in many occult world religions like Subud. The Quaker religion is historically occult like the Shakers.

PS: added, this came from a web site He Reigns posted on the Matthew 24 Blog concerning mystics.

2007/9/25 13:47

Re:

Hi Sis Katy, I would like to ask you - I love Apologetics and what some call Discernment Ministries and discussions of "those days" and most especially [b]Christology[/b] - but my dear sister and friend - I was Baptised with The Holy Spirit three years after I was saved and pray in tongues - so, am I still your friend? ;-)
I do believe that 1Corth. chpt.s 12-14 are relevent for today - but I pray we can except one another over this particular issue - as I posted in a reply to someone else, back on the "Matthew 24 Watch" thread - I wouldn't care in the least if this whole forum 'was' "Baptist". :-D
Peace Sister. With all due respect & Love in Christ.

2007/9/25 13:59

Re:

Greg Said:

Quote:
If discussions cannot be handled accurately then the thread will be locked and if members who are given admonishments continue to defame anyone's character or argue with a divisive spirit then after a firm warning that account will be removed.

Dear Family

I know that we all can be quite zealous in the things that we hold dear. However, let us consider Greg's admonition carefully. If what we know is to be the TRUTH, then why are we showing signs of the flesh? That alone is a good indicator to see if we are in the truth. Because he that saith he is in the light, and hateth his brother, is in darkness even until now 1John2:9. If we are throwing rocks at one another, how is that showing the love of Christ?
Quote:
James 1:20 For the anger of man worketh not the righteousness of God.

When replying a post, if we are typing faster than we normally do, probably a good sign to check our blood pressure. ;-)

2007/9/25 15:31
Search_Me

Re:

Quote:

HE_Reigns wrote:
I wouldn't care in the least if this whole forum 'was' "Baptist". :-D

i go to a baptist church with friends and it's a great church and the assistant pastor recently spoke in tongues for the first time at an icm conference and the senior pastor does not speak in tongues but believes in all of the gifts. the baptist church isnt as non charismatic as most think.God always moves beyond denominational walls and its just that many baptists arent as hyper as pentecostals and the charismatic church lol i'm teaisng about the hyper part or am ? lol :-)

2007/9/25 15:49Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

What a good God we have.

Miccah

2007/9/25 17:24Profile

Re: Is speaking in tongues...

Quote:
What a good God we have.

|Amen! :-D

2007/9/25 18:04

Re:

Quote:
but my dear sister and friend - I was Baptised with The Holy Spirit three years after I was saved and pray in tongues - so, am I still your friend?

Absolutely He-Reigns. Did I ever once here say I didn't believe? Not even ONCE did I say this.

Would it be fair here, and would you still be my friend if my comment was originally to a comment someone made that one MUST have the evidence of tongues at least once, if not again, to prove they have received the Holy Spirit?

You see, I too have received the Baptism of Fire Jesus Baptizes with, and never once spoke in an unknown tongue, or prayed in an unknown tongue.

I also received the spirit of the Life of Christ that set me free from the Law of Sin and death the day I was Born Again. But no, never tongues. Oh I have a spiritual Gift, but not tongues.

These forums at times remind me of a game we played when children. You know, the one where you get in a circle, and wisper something in the persons ear next to you, and they have to repeat the EXACT thing to the next, and next and next. By the time the last person is to say out loud what the original sentence was, it was COMPLETELY distorted from the original first sentence.

Maybe we still play that game and don't realize.

Love in Christ
Katy_did

2007/9/25 18:44

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy