SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : They Sold Their Souls for Rock N' Roll

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
moreofHim

Re: legalism-holiness

sdb,

you always have some great little comments 8-)

2004/5/17 22:51Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

Sky Angel Christian Tv is a pretty good alternative for secular TV. There are good clean shows, there is a fair share of bad teachers (Jim Bakker is back on TV), but it beats watching cable. We watch the clean sitcoms, movies, and Christian music videos. PBS is pretty good too.

2004/5/18 1:43Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: You All Have Good Things To Say

So now we're on the subject of TV. Yeah, I haven't had cable, or access to any channels for I don't know how long. I remember when the 9/11 thing happened, I didn't find out about it until I came to work and everyone was praying about some great catastrophe. I thought there was another school shooting or something.

Those of you with families and kids, I see where you're coming from with how your kids get influenced by TV. In my house though, it's a little bit of a different situation. I still live with my parents, but we're all adults. My brother's an adult now too and was living with us, but moved out recently. We still don't have "TV". I mean, we have one, but we can only play movies on it that we check out from the library or rent. So for me, watching a movie is a way to spend time with my parents. And my mom is VERY picky with what she checks out. They're mostly old, black and white films. And then when I watch movies at friend's houses or we go to the theater, it's a way to hang out with them. So I'm not getting bombarded with the world's crud 24/7. I spend more time in a Christian atmosphere than I do in a worldly one. I mean, I work at a church all day long and watch these movies like what, one day a week on the weekend!

I do agree with being careful with what you put into your mind and what you see through your eyes. After watching some movies I've felt horrible and weighed down and had to pray that God would remind me of the truth.

My whole point of the eating food offered to idols example is, like what Chanin said, I think, you gotta be careful what you tell people they can't and can do. For you it may be a heavy conviction not to own a TV, where someone else doesn't have a problem. Funny thing is, I'm one of those people who technically don't own a TV, so what point am I trying to make... just be sensitive I guess. The same as you would want someone to at least see where you're coming from, pay that same respect. You don't change your standards because someone else has different ones, but you at least are open to what they have to say.

Again, you guys all have good input.

2004/5/18 15:36Profile
eagleswings

Connecticut, USA

Re: t.v. or not t.v.

Greg wrote:
“I am not trying to be negative but rather somber on this issue. I know that you will not stay sensitive to the Holy Spirit if you continue to subjugate yourself to things that grieve the Holy Spirit of God. … I went through a season where I did not even look at the TV for 1 minute for about 6-8 months and rather spent time in Gods word and praying. I had such a sensitivity to sin that if I was in a situation that was grieving the spirit I would literally tremble and shake, It's a different shaking then I could possibly describe but I know it was God jealously guarding over his elect. yes God is jealous over us and wants us to be Holy and set apart to Him.”

Greg,
Good words. You remind me of the 9th chapter of Watchman Nee’s Love Not the World where he writes:

“Those whose eyes have been really opened to this world's true character find they must touch everything in it with fear and trembling, looking continually to the Lord. They know that at any moment they are liable to be caught in Satan's entanglements. Just as the drug which, in the first instance, is welcomed to relieve sickness may ultimately become itself a cause of sickness, so equally the things of the world which we can legitimately use under the Lord's authority may, if we are heedless, become a cause of our downfall. Only fools can be careless in circumstances like these.”

http://www.worldinvisible.com/library/nee/lovenottheworld/chapter%209.htm

For those not familiar with the concept of “the world” as John uses it in his Gospel and elsewhere, Nee’s book is valuable.

Roger

2004/5/18 16:07Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Different Parts of the Body

Just a question, we're not living in fear here, are we? And I don't mean fearing the Lord. That's a good, healthy respect. But I mean living in fear of Satan all the time. Yes, without God we are nothing against the enemy.

Okay, here's an example. Kurt Cobain... before I was a Christian, at age 12, I got influenced a lot by the band Nirvana, in a very bad way. Looking back, I know there was evilness involved in that. A couple years ago, I started hearing my brother play songs from Nirvana on our computer or from his room. It grieved me so much. To me, Satan was laughing in my face like, "I don't have you anymore, but now I got your brother!" Whenever I heard any of their songs, I was like chained to the memories of the hold Satan had in my life before I knew God in a relationship sort of way.

But one day, I don't remember when, how, or why, but it's like a light bulb came on inside my head. My brother was once again playing Nirvana, and I realized that I was practically cowering in a corner. Why?! Jesus didn't die so that I could be chained to past memories of when I was in bondage. He set me free, and I needed to start living like it! I can't tell you how freeing that felt!

But you know, that's me personally. That's something God did in me. I believe that there's all kinds of Christians out there. I believe we need all of them, and I'm not talking about the carnal ones that are pretty much MIA (missing in action). I love the fact that not everyone is like me. I believe I am the way I am for a God given reason, and so is the rest of the body of Christ. Yes, God has much more molding to do in all of us, but thank Him for all the different walks of life we come from.

2004/5/18 17:28Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

What we have to decide (hopefully following the Spirit) is, is the good in this movie worth the swearing/violence/sexuality?

This is compromise. It says "I'll put up with the swearing/violence/sexuality as long as the plot and theme of the movie is good." Or in otherwords, "the end justifies the means", also known as utilitarianism. The end never justifies the means.

2004/5/18 17:43Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re: Different Parts of the Body

[b][size=small]VICTORY "101"[/size][/b]
[size=xx-small](An Excerpt)[/size]

Beloved, I would answer it by saying that if the enemy is roaming like a roaring lion- it would be good to be vigilant. Do I fear my vulnerability to SIN? ABSOLUTELY! Much of my life is spent guarding my own heart (and soul). And the rest of it- it seems is spent seeking the waterbrook where the enemy looses my scent. I have known many who underestimated the power if sin and were indeed caught in it. It happens slowly and progressively and the plan is called 'wiles' in the KJV. I believe Satan loves it when TV preachers get on TV and start taunting him. Friends we must not think ourselves to stand- we must take heed at every time of day- lest we fall.

You are the watchman of your own soul. There is no such thing for me as being too cautious unless I take things to such an extreme that I have stopped up the joy of the Lord. We are to abstain from all appearance of evil. We are to EXERCISE our senses to discern good and evil (Hebrews 5). This is a teaching that is virtually absent in Christendom. We are also to lay aside EVERY weight and the sin that does so easily beset us (Hebrews 12).

Running the Race

The Greeks used to run nude and I have heard would even shave their heads to improve in the wind resistance. We are running as it were from SIN. Weights allow sins that easily beset us to catch us and knock us down. Following Hebrews 5 and 12 can take a sin that does "so easily beset us" and fortify us until it very rarely if ever will beset us. This is the same thought that David proclaimed in Psalm 101 when he said he would set no evil thing before his eyes. He then went on later in the passage to say that he would not allow sin to 'cleave' unto him. That Hebrew word means to "catch by pursuit." Follow the progression- if we set evil before our eyes the enemy will catch us by pursuit. This corresponds to Hebrews 12.

Sometimes people fall before the Lord having been tripped by the sin that pursued and caught them. Rather than dropping the weights and running will all their strength they try to pick them up off the ground (as it were) and their besetting sin is right behing them kicking their legs out again. We need to DROP the weights and FLEE these things.

Friends I believe many people think they can handle certain 'weights' and refuse to get rid of things. Personally I have found that the 'flesh' can survive on almost anything 'evil' or 'compromising' you put in front of it. Seeds of sin are sown in subtle ways into your eyes and ears, etc. You can be sitting at the Barber shop and pick up a magazine and the process of the 'flesh rising up' can begin. Our senses are the gateways to our heart. That is why we are to EXERCISE (control) them. We are to discipline them to turn away from the sin before the words and images, like seeds, find a lodging place.

Laying aside the weights, exercising your senses, and taking the ways of escape when God makes them are 3 of 10 things we can do, biblically, to fortify ourselves against temptation. If timothy needed to flee youthful lusts- so do we. If Paul needed to metaphorically black his bodies eye and lead it away prisoner- so do we. If Paul could become a castaway (adokimos disqualified, reprobate, rejected)- so can we.

Understand that if you starve the sin nature it will remain weak. If you feed it- it will get stronger and aquire a greater appetite in terms of volume of sin and also potency of sin. This is 'sowing to the flesh' as Paul called it. For me, secular TV and Radio sows to the flesh no matter what it is. its enough trouble to keep turning from sin on my way home from work as I see all the various wicked billboards. REPENTANCE is turnng from sin everytime it appears in front of you. As long as sin is in the world we will have to keep turning away from it. it will be in our face in this world- but we don't have to set it before our eyes.

God Bless and Best Regards in Christ!

-Robert

2004/5/18 18:12Profile
Yodi

Escondido, California

Re: Food for the Spirit

Quote:
Understand that if you starve the sin nature it will remain weak. If you feed it- it will get stronger and aquire a greater appetite in terms of volume of sin and also potency of sin.

Totally agree! What I think is helpful, what's helped me at least, is to find a local Christian radio station, whether they play Christian music or broadcast Biblical teachings. Here's some links I know of:

http://calvarychapel.com/effectradio/
http://www.air1.com/
http://www.kwve.org/
http://www.klove.com/

If you guys know of any other, please feel free to post!

2004/5/19 14:02Profile
moreofHim

Re: music

We have air1 and klove here. Sometimes air1 is too hard and klove too fluffy- but it's much better than secular.

My kids (especially my son loves air1) We like to go on the computer and research the different groups and artists to see if they really are "living the Christian life". We can usually tell by the words, but not always.

If I hear a song that doesn't really line up with what we believe (which is rare), I make sure I mention something about it and why we believe this is true or not.

Our family is totally into music, though. We have so many c.d.s that we don't need the radio very much. :-) Plus we have Arielle to play and sing for us! It's our own worship service when ever we want it! :-D

I try to imagine the Lord looking down at our house seeing the aroma of worship coming up from the house- not just in song - but daily living.

In Him, chanin

2004/5/19 14:18Profile
earnestlycontend

Flinstone, GA

Re:

on the whole thought of secular entertainment:

I think that we are desensitized to a scary extent when we entertain ourselves with actions (sin) that others are going to hell for

If we laugh at what God weeps over, we as a people are in trouble.

It reminds me of Romans 1. After Paul mentions this moral slippery slope, the 32nd verse says "who knowing the judgment of God that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them."

By entertaining ourselves with filth are we taking pleasure in those that commit sins worthy of death?

2004/5/19 22:30Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy