SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Did Jesus Carry His Cross?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Did Jesus Carry His Cross?

This was presented to me by a brother while were fellowshipping on a bus the other day, that Jesus never carried His cross to Calvary!

I've watched the movies the depict Christ carrying His cross and I was stunned to find out in scripture that He did not carry it. Matthew, Mark and Luke tells the story, while John is a little vague, but because of the witness of the other three gospels we need to believe that the 'he' that John spoke of was Simon.

Tradition tells us that Christ fell half way to Golgotha and Simon the Cyrene took up His cross.

Let me put the scriptures forth for your examination from all three.

MATTHEW'S GOSPEL:

Quote:
Matthew 27:24 When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this [b]just Person[/b]Matthew 27:31 And after that they had mocked Him, they took the robe off from Him, and put his own raiment on Him, and led Him away to crucify Him.: see ye to it.32 And as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear His cross.33 And when they were come unto a place called Golgotha, that is to say, a place of a skull,

MARK'S GOSPEL:
Quote:
Mark 15:14 Then Pilate said unto them, Why, [b]what evil hath He done?[/b] And they cried out the more exceedingly, Crucify Him.20 And when they had mocked Him, they took off the purple from Him, and put His own clothes on Him, and led Him out to crucify Him.21 And they compelled one Simon a Cyrenian, who passed by, coming out of the country, the father of Alexander and Rufus, to bear His cross.22 And they brought Him unto the place Golgotha, which is, being interpreted, The place of a skull.

LUKE'S GOSPEL:
Quote:
Luke 23:22 And he said unto them the third time, Why, what evil hath He done? [b]I have found no cause of death in Him[/b]Luke 23:25 And he released unto them him that for sedition and murder was cast into prison, whom they had desired; but he delivered Jesus to their will.: I will therefore chastise Him, and let Him go.26 And as they led Him away, they laid hold upon one Simon, a Cyrenian, coming out of the country, and on him they laid the cross, that he might bear it after Jesus.27 And there followed Him a great company of people, and of women, which also bewailed and lamented Him.

JOHN'S GOSPEL:
Quote:
John 19:6 When the chief priests therefore and officers saw Him, they cried out, saying, Crucify Him, crucify Him. Pilate saith unto them, Take ye Him, and crucify Him: for [b]I find no fault in Him[/b].John 19:16 Then delivered he Him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led Him away.17 And he[Simon the cyrene] bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:

[emphasis mine]

The [b]BOLD[/b] words that you see of Pilate saying that Jesus is innocent. The reason why I placed them there is because according to Roman law a criminal must bear his own cross, but Pilate knew that Jesus was innocent and did not allow Jesus to carry His cross.

It is my opinion that Simon the cyrene was a Jew coming to the feasts that was taking place at that time. The name Simon is a Jewish name. But don't let my opinion thwart this thread.

2007/7/19 10:05
jordanamo

Re: Did Jesus Carry His Cross?

We are all to bear the cross of Christ like Simon. It is not for Christ alone to bear. And it's not a one time act, it's everyday. There's something essential to your Christian understanding here... because here Simon totally shared in the rebuke and suffering of Jesus.. and he was innocent, just as Jesus was! (Although in a different form of innocence, of course)

2007/7/19 10:14Profile

Re:

Keep in mind also that Jesus was not unable to carry the cross the entire way... He could have, but he chose to humble Himself by accepting human limitations. If He had wanted to He could have picked up that cross and hurled it at the Roman soldiers. But that was not His Father's will.

Krispy

2007/7/19 12:17

Compliments, I never saw this and I think the LORD allowed me not to see until NOW because I really needed this right now.

Your post brought me to complete tears ~ THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH BROTHER !!!

Quote:
[b]The reason why I placed them there is because according to Roman law a criminal must bear his own cross,[u] but Pilate knew that Jesus was innocent and did not allow Jesus to carry His cross. [/u][/b]

BLESS HIS HOLY,HOLY,HOLY NAME !

Thank you.

P.S. edit: As I was just typing this, the song "I Can Only Imagine" by MercyMe is playing.

Oh Yeah !!!

2007/7/19 14:42

Re:

Annie I am so thankful that you were blessed, it's always a joy when we lift up the name of Jesus together. Thanks for the encouraging words. :-)

2007/7/20 12:03
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Pilate may have to carknow that Jesus was innocent, But Jesus did carry His won cross until He was outside the Gate, or scripture is wrong. Then Simon the cyrene was compelled to carry His cross the rest of the way because He could not and the Romans did not want Him to die before He was crucified or He was taking to long.

Mat 27:32 And as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear his cross.

Hebrews 13:12 Wherefore Jesus also, that he might sanctify the people with his own blood, suffered without the gate.

Matthew 27:32 And as they came out, they found a man of Cyrene, Simon by name: him they compelled to bear his cross.

Jesus carried His own Cross outside the Gate then Simon carried it or helped Jesus carry it.

John 19:15-17 But they cried out, Away with him, away with him, crucify him. Pilate saith unto them, Shall I crucify your King? The chief priests answered, We have no king but Caesar. Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led him away. And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:

All of us deserved the Cross and it should be Jesus standing at the bottom of the Cross, not His blood, saying Father your Judgement is true. But God in His infinite Love and will desired that Jesus be the One that would suffer outside the Gate, that we might have eternal life and the Grace of God the Father through Jesus Christ and His Cross, He was guilty but not His own guilt, it was our guilt and guilty plea that He suffered for. We were judged guilty and Jesus Christ took the condemned sentence of death upon Himself that God had decreed that we might be set free from any condemnation.

Verdict: Not Guilty by way of the Cross of Christ by whom He has set us free, that we were crucified with Him in our Sin through Him that we might live. Resurrection Power? To the Utmost. We live because He lives. Galatians 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Are we crucified to sin? Galatians 2:17-18 But if, while we seek to be justified by Christ, we ourselves also are found sinners, is therefore Christ the minister of sin? God forbid. For if I build again the things which I destroyed, I make myself a transgressor.

We are not sinners, that is why "He that is born of God does not sin", or else we are building again what Christ has killed at the Cross, that is the sin that dwells in us. "It is no longer I who live but Christ who lives in me", He is no sinner. Now we can appreciate the Cross even more, He died and we died to sin with Him, That we might live unto God. Gal 2:19 For I through the law am dead to the law, that I might live unto God. The Law condemned me, the Cross Set me free.

Praise God I do not have to carry my own cross ever again, for it only leads to death, and He did that once and never again. Rom 6:10 For in that he died, he died unto sin once: but in that he liveth, he liveth unto God.

Rom 7:9 For I was alive without the law once: but when the commandment came, sin revived, and I died

We died once with Him, we now liveth unto God. Praise God and Amen, now I can love Him as He wants and deserves, by the Power of the Son of God that is born again in me.

Father I love you by the Christ in me: Phillip

2007/7/20 16:47Profile

Re:

Quote:
Philip said:But Jesus did carry His won cross until He was outside the Gate, or scripture is wrong.

Can you give one verse of scripture that they laid the cross on Jesus and He carried it? Please no assumptions or traditions, just bible. I want to read where it says that they actually laid it on Him. The crown of thorns was put on His head, thats recorded. They scourged Him, thats recorded, but where does it say they laid the cross on Jesus?

2007/7/20 17:20

Yes.

John 19
16 Then delivered he him therefore unto them to be crucified. And they took Jesus, and led [i]him[/i] away.
17 [u]And he bearing his cross went forth[/u] into a place called [i]the place[/i] of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha:
18 Where they crucified him,

Remember, John was actually there. Peter, on whose testimony Mark's is based, had gone out to weep and Matthew had run away.

Now, this doesn't mean that Simon didn't carry it part of the way, but, Jesus did carry it to start with.

2007/7/20 18:24

Hey Compliments!

I just looked at your leading post and see you [i][b]added[/i][/b] Simon of Cyrene's name into John's gospel.

:-o

Isn't that strictly forbidden [u]and[/u] [i]not at all[/i] scholarly?

2007/7/20 18:28
PaulWest

Dallas, Texas

Re: Busting the "theory"

Quote:
17 And he[Simon the cyrene] bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull

Brother, something is wrong here. Why did you insert Simon's name in those brackets? Verse 16 flows smoothly into verse 17, and verse 16 speaks of Jesus Christ only. He was delivered up to be crucifed...and he bore his cross and they led him away. A child can read and understand this. Why then the bracketed convolution? Jesus said earlier that if anyone wished to follow him they would have to pick up their [i]own[/i] cross and follow him. The Captain of our Salvation asks us to do nothing that he hasn't already done. Your theory implies that God requires us to do something he never did. I cannot accept this.

I believe that Jesus not only carried his cross for an undetermined length of time after his scourging, but that he was also stripped nude and nailed to it. Did "Roman Law" permit innocent men to be nailed to a cross after the legal nicety of allowing someone else carry it for them? Why didn't Pilate adjudicate the innocence of Christ there as well and overrule the actual [i]crucifixion?[/i]

I hope you are not teaching new converts that Christ didn't carry his cross. It may not seem like an important issue to stress, but, brother, this is just how Satan slips the dagger in. It starts out with a little fox like this, but that little fox can turn quickly into a wolf. Please be careful, brother. My humble advice is to not be taken up so fast by these [i]new[/i] discoveries. Always measure scripture against other scripture to achieve a proper, coherent balance. See, if such a revelation of this magnitude were indeed true, it would have already been accepted among the old paths and by the small remnant of God's holy saints throughout the generations.

It was not and is not.

Brother Paul

2007/7/20 20:46Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy