SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : Catholic Church to Pay $660 Million for Abuse

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:
You made my day!

I’m here to serve. :-D

2007/7/17 15:44Profile

Re: Catholic Church to Pay $660 Million for Abuse

Hi tj,

You made my day as well. I laughed louder than Corey!

I think what I'm trying to say is that if every survivor had the financial support they might need to make it through each day looking like they are normal and don't have multiple needs deep down inside their beings, you would be shocked at how much that would cost.

This is one reason survivors [u]do[/u] [i]take the money[/i], even though it is a very false way of estimating what they have lost in human terms.... I do agree... and any appearance of poverty caused by this particular settlement is entirely a public relations exercise, I believe, on the part of the local diocese.

Thanks for your clarifying comments. :-)

2007/7/17 15:54
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
Maybe some day I will learn to just read these forums.

That should never be an issue here brother, and smilies aside I do take some umbrage at disparaging comments insinuated in this manner:
Quote:
While your statement is completely true, and I realise I'm about to make what may strike you as a sweeping (and therefore unjustifyable) generalisation, you are demonstrating ...

It is unjustifiable and unnecessary, what is it that you are demonstrating here?

2007/7/17 16:05Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Mike

I’m confused, and before anyone says it…I know it’s nothing new. ;-)

You have quotes from two different sources on your last post. The first one was from me.

Quote:
Maybe some day I will learn to just read these forums.

I have not the skill with words to be as clear as I would like and I feel that at times I become a stumbling block and maybe it would be wiser to withhold posting. I was just expressing exasperation with my inability to communicate effectively.

Why was my saying this offensive?
It was not intended to be.
I apologize to all hurt and/or offended.

The second quote is not mine.

2007/7/17 17:10Profile

Re: Catholic Church to Pay $660 Million for Abuse

Quote:
... I do take some umbrage at disparaging comments insinuated in this manner

Brother Mike,

I think you're over-reacting.

I guessed from previous [i]friendly[/i] correspondence with tj, that he knew more than he had put in the thread so far. This made his fixation with 'the money' make even less sense - to my mind.

I could have said what was on my mind [u]without[/u] offering a context, and this might have looked as if I [i]believe[/i] tj knows nothing - which I think both he and I know is not true. Is this making sense yet?

But, as this topic is generally poorly understood due to denial across all societies, it was a wonderful opportunity to open out some of the more delicate issues around the assumptions tj [i]did seem[/i] to be making. So far so good?
Quote:
what is it that you are demonstrating here?

I hope I have explained this in the previous paragraph. Or.... was that a rhetorical question? .... Oops.... Oh well... I hope you don't mind an answer, if it was... :-?

2007/7/17 17:19

Re:

Quote:
Why was my saying this offensive?
It was not intended to be.
I apologize to all hurt and/or offended.

Nothing you said was offensive.

The mod's on the warpath is all (he did the same thing today on my Japan Quake thread in the 'News' forum).

2007/7/17 17:19
Warrior4Jah

The Netherlands

Re:

Speaking about those priests...

1 Cor 7:9 "but if they cannot contain, let them marry: for it is better to marry than to burn."

Guess thats a bit too late for some of them, however I do hope those priests really turn to God in repentance and then there is forgiveness!

[edit]The Lord reminded me of Proverbs 24:17. I prayed for those priests. Almost fell in a trap here.

2007/7/17 18:40Profile

tjservant

Quote:
I wonder how many will drop their checks into the offering plate.

that's not right brother.

Under the laws of this land, those who have been victimized, are entitled to redress AND compensation, this is called justice.

It might not be Godly justice, that is for Him to decide with the victimizer at the Judgement bar, but in the courts of this nation, sometimes justice is administered punitatively through financial penalties, not as Corey insinuated through a lynch mob. That is not justice, that is not democracy or jurisprudence, that is mobacracy and it is murder. That's what Mike Balog might have taken umbrage with, as I do.

2007/7/17 19:43
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re: tjservant

Quote:
that's not right brother.

I should not have phrased it as I did…I see that now. I did not mean to imply what some are thinking I meant. I was just commenting on the fact that if they say “it’s not about the money” why do they want so much of it? I was talking about not keeping it if it meant nothing to them. I should not have used the terms I did. I apologize for offending you. It was not intentional.

Please read the rest of the thread. I tried to clarify that.

Quote:
Under the laws of this land, those who have been victimized, are entitled to redress AND compensation, this is called justice.

Money = Justice ???

No amount of money will ever be able to compensate what happened to these people, only God’s healing hand will fix this injustice.

The purpose of a lawsuit is to provide someone who has suffered a loss at the hands of another party with the legal means to recover property or other damages from the offender. This was not achieved in this case.

God's Word teaches us to surrender our rights and put others first, even if we feel they are wrong. Sometimes this attitude is costly and results in personal loss.

I think every means, short of a lawsuit, should be pursued in trying to resolve the situation (beginning with Matthew 18:15-17). Once all the options have been exhausted and the situation still isn't resolved, God's Word teaches that the offender should be forgiven. That means the offense needs to be "written off" and the results left in God's hands.

You have every right to defend yourself if someone brings a suit against you. Paul defended himself against unjust claims many times (see Acts 16:37, 22:25 and 25:11).

Paul defended himself and even recited Roman law that was applicable to his case. As long as our motives are right and we are NOT seeking retribution, we can defend ourselves.

Biblically, Christians are not prohibited from suing non-believers, but that doesn't mean they should exercise that right. "All things are lawful, but not all things are profitable. All things are lawful, but not all things edify" (1 Corinthians 10:23).

U.S. citizens have the legal right to sue. However, a Christian's primary purpose is to serve God. If we really want to pursue righteousness, rather than going to the courts of this world with issues of personal injustice, we should turn to God regarding the injustice and leave the results to him.

my 2 cents

2007/7/17 20:36Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
you are demonstrating literally no comprehension of the effects of sexual abuse in childhood

Quote:
your focus on the money may be betraying you.

Quote:
Your previous assertion that survivors should be getting help from the church, from 'the saints', also suggests your idealism is not matched by your realism in respect of this particular subject.

Quote:
you have need of patience - a lot of it - if you are to walk with a survivor who knows the Lord

[i]Your[/i], 'you' ...

Assumptions to things not stated nor implied by TJ

2007/7/17 22:33Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy