SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Christians won't work on Sunday's but they expect others to.

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:
It's part of the Ten Commandments. Why use the other nine like obeying parents if the Sabbath doesn't apply?

All Ten Commandments apply to us in spirit, but DO NOT apply to the outworking of that law thru the flesh. If you honour your father and mother because you have to, your not honouring Christ and what He did on the cross. You honour them because you love them. Your source is not by means of the law working thru the flesh, but by means of the holy Spirit working thru your spirit. The same goes for the Sabbath, if you can keep it without demanding the same from others and if you can keep it WITHOUT thinking that what you are doing is rightous before God because your obeying the law, the grace of God will continue to flow.

If you have to do something by means of a regiment, it's a law to you. But if you demand that people keep your law to be in right standing before God, the grace of God has no effect on you. By placing wieghts on people, you've become an enemy to God, because Christ came to lift off wieghts not put them on.

2007/6/26 19:12
Nile

Raleigh, NC

Re:

Quote:
It's part of the Ten Commandments. Why use the other nine like obeying parents if the Sabbath doesn't apply?

We are not under any of the Ten Commandments. No one is in fact, not even the unbelievers. The Ten Commandments were given to the Jews and to them only. The Gentiles were never under the Ten Commandments. Furthermore, when Christ died, the Ten Commandments were made null for even the Jews.

We are under the law of the Spirit now. That is our only law.

Nile

2007/6/26 21:08Profile
jlosinski

North Pole, Alaska

Re:

I happen to have Sundays off, but I work in the healthcare profession in a support role, security officer, there is always a need for nurses and doctors 7 days a week, especially in the ER, but then what about the need for cafeteria workers to feed the patients ect...
They may not have a direct care role with patients but their job is critical as well, you could go on and on...

How far do you take it with restricting work? Just a thought

2007/6/27 1:05Profile
Talkn2u

Re: Christians won't work on Sunday's but they expect others to.

I absolutely LOVE Sundays and cannot wait to be in the House of the Lord...it is definetly a day set apart from the others.

The subject of working on sundays is of deep interest to me. Personally I think that all establishments should be closed on that day...business should cease and the churches should be full of people having a mind set on God and on the sacrifice and life of Christ, fully committed to walking after the Spirit....

I believe strongly that the corruption of Corp America has risen to the extreme and height of where it stands today, because in the Retail world at least, Sundays is the greatest day of revenue.

People are paid a "premium" if they work on Sundays....I am surrounded by fellow employees who would not think of giving up their "sunday pay". They depend on their "sunday pay"

I work a management position in retail. When I interviewed for the job. I "requested" that I not work sundays because I go to church and believe in setting that day aside.
They asked me that if there was an occassional sunday they needed me to work, would I be willing. I told them, "yes".
I was told at first that I had to work at least one sunday a month.
I agreed to this.

People have come to realize that I am a Christian....I am not allowed to "talk religion"...so I must live Christ...and it has been an incredible experience. He lives HIS Spirit out of me. Daily, fellow employees and customers are affected....

Thru this "life" that I have been displaying, there has been a tremendous show of respect toward my profession of Christianity. And because of this my request to have Sundays off, has become a known fact...I am NEVER asked to work on sundays, never.

However, this past Easter, my assistant said she did not want to work on that Sunday so she could be with her family.
I was called up to the office, to meet with my Manager and the Asst Mgr.

They said, "You will have to work on Easter, you are the dept manager and that is your responsibility if there is no one to cover."

I said that I understood that, and in a respectful, quiet strength I said "This is very difficult on me...because this is Easter Sunday, the most important day of the year to recognize...due to my faith, I believe that there should not be one store open on Easter. Because of what took place on Easter Morning we are able to live and breathe and exist. It is the most celebrated day of the year to me. But you are my authority and I respect your position. I will do as you ask."
Immediately my assistant manager (who is a full on professed lesbian living in a "marriage type" partnership) asked me what church I go to...and she said to my manager..."I know about that church and their services are at least 2 to 2 and a half hours long. How about if we have Bonnie come in right after church is over?"

And I agreed to it.
Easter Sunday at church was glorious...and off to work I went for the rest of the day and my heart was full of JOY !!!
Management later on that week, came to me and thanked me for my attitude and flexibility....

Sundays to go to church and Sundays set aside as a sabbath are two different things...
At work they look at it like "as long as we give Bonnie time to go to church, she is ok."
But the entire day has always been set aside in my life....it was always a day unique to the other days of the week; because everything regular and hectic and demanding was put to rest on that particular day...we then would go to Sunday School, church, take it easy in the afternoon, and return to church in the evening.
It remains to this day my favorite day of the week, that strengthens and refreshes me for the work week ahead....
I believe that God honors our STOP of regular life, to dedicate unto Him.

God also says that we are to respect our authority. My Employers are an authority set over me by God.
That is important to keep in mind also.

We have a tremendous responsibility to the world, that if we are going to carry the name of Christ, we must live the life of Christ in front of them...it is NOT the words we say but rather the life we live, that will draw them to us and they will inquire....and YES they DO inquire.

In Summation:
Innumerable times, I have been asked, "Why are you always so happy? we work in a treacherous environment, the stress is unbelievable, yet you are always smiling and laughing"
and I say, "It is because I have HOPE."
people will literally stop in their tracks when I say that....
AND THEY DO come up to me and ask me Why I have HOPE...

Peter 3:13-15 is Excellent! The Word tells us to not be fearful of what others fear; who can harm us? Setting our hearts apart unto Christ our Lord....and being prepared to give an answer to anyone that asked "What is the reason for your Hope?"

I'd say don't demand to have rights as a Christian unless you are living the Christian life, rightly.

Look at the end of verse 15 of 1 Peter 3 in regards the manner in which we are to give our reason for Hope...
(kjv): with meekness and fear...
(niv)with gentleness and respect.
that is key!

B

2007/6/27 11:10Profile

Re:

Quote:
Krispy, we get this "law" from Genesis, it was before the Mosaic law even. God rested on the seventh day. This however is not a "law" insofar as it is a precedent.

Then why do you observe it on Sunday, and not on the original Sabbath day... Saturday? You're contradicting yourself by observing Sunday instead.

Krispy

2007/6/27 13:27

Re:

How do we know that the original Sabbath was a Saturday?

2007/6/27 13:36

Re:

Quote:
I absolutely LOVE Sundays and cannot wait to be in the House of the Lord...it is definetly a day set apart from the others.

Talkn2u.. I used to love this too! Morning and evening services for me! However, have you not read that

"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands"

and

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God?"

Quote:
"This is very difficult on me...because this is Easter Sunday, the most important day of the year to recognize

I do not see anywhere that their are special days for those who are walking in the kingdom... this is part of that babylonian traditon that has been handed down to us by our forfathers...

Everyday should be lived within the resurrection power of Christ. I would encourage everyone who is trapped by the religous traditions of babylon to come out from her, read the book of acts and apply what you read to your life. There is a better way then that handed down by the compromised generations before us!

Quote:

It remains to this day my favorite day of the week, that strengthens and refreshes me for the work week ahead....

That is good sister.. I do hear what you are saying, but we do not need settle for a one or two day a week pick me up... the gates of heaven are open for us to worship Him in spirit and in truth daily.

Quote:

I believe that God honors our STOP of regular life, to dedicate unto Him.

God honors those who are washed by His blood and live daily for His kingdom. If you have to STOP your regular life to dedicate something to Him then I would say that is a huge problem...

I am not picking on you at all, this is more for all of the other readers that agree with you and is not personal... I just want to encourage everyone that is in bondage to our babylonian religous system and traditions that there is something far more glorious then living like this... a quick read through Acts will reveal this to be true.

May we all grow in grace and freedom to live the normal Christian life!

in Christ - Jim

2007/6/27 14:07

Re:

Quote:
How do we know that the original Sabbath was a Saturday?

We do know that our traditional Sunday was NOT the Sabbath day. Anyone with a remedial understanding of the Bible can see that for themselves. Thats not rocket science.

People often say "Well, Paul went to the Synagogue on the Sabbath." Of course he did! There was a crowd there. And what did he do? He used it as an opportunity to preach Christ to them. There is nothing to indicate he went there to observe the law of the Sabbath. I will not argue this with anyone either... all the great commentaries, and writings of the church fathers declare this to be the case.

And to back this up... if Paul thought we needed to observe the Sabbath on a particular day of the week, why did he write the following?

Col 2:16-17 Let no man therefore judge you in meat, or in drink, or in respect of a holy day, or of the new moon, [b][u]or of the sabbath days[/u][/b]: Which are a shadow of things to come; but the body is of Christ.

Rom 14:5-6 One man esteemeth one day above another: another esteemeth every day alike. [b]Let every man be fully persuaded in his own mind[/b]. He that regardeth the day, regardeth it unto the Lord; and he that regardeth not the day, to the Lord he doth not regard it. He that eateth, eateth to the Lord, for he giveth God thanks; and he that eateth not to the Lord he eateth not, and giveth God thanks.

Gal 4:9-10 But now, after that ye have known God, or rather are known of God, how turn ye again to the weak and beggarly elements, whereunto ye desire again to be in bondage? [b]Ye observe days[/b], and months, and times, and years.

Now... as I said, I believe in the principle of sabbath rest. Man does need rest one day a week. And I believe part of the rest should involve honoring and worshipping God. Worship is NOT church attendance, altho that can be a vehicle for it. But Paul makes it abundantly clear that it doesnt matter what day it is we do it on!

Maybe that waitress that served you at Shoney's after church on Sunday takes her "sabbath" rest on Tuesday. Paul tells her to not let YOU judge her.

Someone who does the Sunday thing isnt any more holy OR obedient than someone who works on Sunday and spends Tuesday resting and worshipping the Lord.

We all need to shake off these traditions we hold on to. Especially the traditions that Paul specifically addressed... such as this one. If we'd all spend as much time reading and studying His Word as we do holding to our traditions we'd be much better off, and better equipped to serve Him.

Krispy

2007/6/27 14:58
running2win

Bowmansville Penssylvania USA

Re:

Quote:
We do know that our traditional Sunday was NOT the Sabbath day. Anyone with a remedial understanding of the Bible can see that for themselves. Thats not rocket science.

I don't think this is even the heart behind the matter. I think it's pretty plain in scripture that God desires that we set aside a day dedicated to worshipping Him and doing His pleasure. Why would you want to be out working 7 days a week? I find that I need to take a day a week to worship or I start to dry up spiritually. An hour in the morning and evening is just enough to get me through the week but I need some more by the end of the week. Kinda like those jobs where you only get paid once a month. Whether someone wants to worship on Saturday or Sunday what does it matter as long as they [i]are[/i] setting aside a day for God. We are commanded to not forsake assembling ourselves together however and this is traditionally done on Sunday in our land.
Quote:
We all need to shake off these traditions we hold on to.

There's no virtue in just getting rid of traditions for the sake of getting rid of traditions. If they aren't against scripture then there's absolutely nothing wrong with them as long as you're not in bondage to them and making them scripture to yourself. Do you wear a wedding ring? Did you light a unity candle at your wedding? Do you celebrate birthdays? Or Thanksgiving? Tradition. All of it. Sure it might have some symbolic value but so does worshipping on Sunday because Christ rose from the dead on the first day of the week. Just some of my thoughts anyway.

2007/6/27 15:55Profile

Re:

Quote:
There's no virtue in just getting rid of traditions for the sake of getting rid of traditions. If they aren't against scripture then there's absolutely nothing wrong with them as long as you're not in bondage to them and making them scripture to yourself. Do you wear a wedding ring? Did you light a unity candle at your wedding? Do you celebrate birthdays? Or Thanksgiving? Tradition. All of it. Sure it might have some symbolic value but so does worshipping on Sunday because Christ rose from the dead on the first day of the week. Just some of my thoughts anyway.

The very title of this thread shows that believers even on this site, who generally have a deeper walk with the Lord than the average pew warmer, shows that there is a prejedice against those who may not observe a day of rest or worship on Sunday.

That is an unscriptural tradition... so yes, my words are very relevent to this conversation.

What if the waitress works on Sunday because she has to, but takes a rest on Tuesday?

How is a Christian sinning if they go to a resteraunt on Sunday and someone waits on them? If I worship and rest on Thursday, no one would consider me sinning if I stopped by Denny's on Thursday afternoon for lunch.

But whoa unto them who do it on Sunday? No... we need liberation from these "traditions". We need to take scripture at it's word. We are not bound by the religious system of the OT. Sunday is no more holy than any other day of the week... until we decide "I will worship the Lord and take my rest in Him... on this day." Then that day is holy unto the Lord.

Sunday is just another day until that happens.

You think you understand your freedom in Christ... but I suspect most of us havent even come close to grasping it. Wrapping our minds around it. Myself included.

Go to the lake on Sunday... have some fun. Worship God and rest on Monday. It's ok, folks! It's not a sin!

Those who house church understand what I am saying. Those in traditional churches have a much harder time with this concept.

Krispy

2007/6/27 16:52

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy