SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : house church benefits

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

dear openlife,

what my dear brother danielj was saying was that the office of "senior pastor" and "clerical hierarchy" is not a biblically founded..

while scripture does mention the function of a pastor (being an elder, caring for sheep, loving the flock) the bible does not show us that there is 1 main pastor that everyone follows and listens to.. in america, the pastor is the "head" of the church and everything is usually ultimately ran through them, whereas in scripture, in any given church, there were many pastors that function because it is not something we do, but something we are..

we think of elders as usually a group of people that are "under" the pastor, but biblically the elders and bishops and pastors all were the same thing.. it was not 3 offices, but 3 different words that describe the same function..

there is so much more, but that is not what this post is about, but i would love to discuss this with you or anyone that would like to talk onn a private message or new thread..

thank you openlife for being willing to discuss something like this and not getting offended about it..

2007/6/21 22:53Profile
theopenlife

Re:

A new thread is now begun.

Hidden in Him,

2007/6/22 1:45Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

thank you for starting a new thread.. i will write on it as soon as i get a good bit of time..

but i still desire people on this site that are involved in home churches to write of the many benefits they personally experience..

i long and hunger for that kind of fellowship..

2007/6/22 11:11Profile

Re:

I have been blessed to have spent the last year fellowshipping, studying, praying with, ministering to the homeless and street preaching with a "hosue church", though we're more of a street church, in the Detroit area.

God has used this time to personally revive me from my half dead state by bringing me out of babylon (the North American Evangelical Church System) and into Acts style Christianity.

I will warn everyone that satan always has a counterfit waiting for you, even in the house church movement. many wolves prowl around there, especially the "emergent church" crowd.

Find people who are willing to forsake all to follow Christ, care for the orphans and widows and preach the gospel to all creation... and dont compromise by taking part in unclean alters. Better to be in the wilderness, fellowshipping only with the Lord Jesus Christ then to compromise and have a false fellowship with those who do not walk in the light.

In Him - Jim

2007/6/22 11:25
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

dear jim,

i am not to familiar with the "emergent church movement", how does it differ from the biblical fellowshipping of the NT??

2007/6/22 17:19Profile

Re: house church benefits

LoveHim asked

Quote:
i would like to know what are some of the real benefits of meeting in a house church.. i have only read about them, but i would like for people who have met in them or are meeting in them to write and tell us all of the benefits of them..

I was involved with a congregation of thirty or so that met at a community hall gymnasium complete with sterile white walls and flourescent lights. During a prayer group, some of the church members discussed their wish for a new place to gather for service on Sundays. Someone suggested the intimacy afforded during our prayer groups could be extended to the rest of the congregation if we met in a house. We prayed to the Lord, and the very next Sunday, we met at an elder's house in the mountains, surrounded by beautiful trees and the fresh pine air...

I'll take a house over a man made temple any day of the week.

2007/6/22 21:44
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

nice, thanks corey.. i appreciate the post.. how has meeting at the elder's home been better than meeting in a gym or "chhurch "building"??

in what ways has it been better???

2007/6/22 22:46Profile

Re:

The home is better than a church because:

1. You can sit on a couch, carpet, wherever, light a fire, brew some coffee, and commune for hours if the host is gracious enough;

2. Have an impromteu Bible study or prayer session;

3. Communion becomes lunch, drinks and meaningful conversation with the congregation, not simply crackers and juice;

4. Relaxed and casual, not formal and stuffy - no need to wear masks (best clothes, makeup, etc);

5. Saves everyone a whole lot of money in tithes.

I no longer attend that church due to doctrinal reasons - but it was great while it lasted!

2007/6/23 0:15
HopePurifies

Georgia, USA

Re:

Quote:

LoveHim wrote:

dear jim,

i am not to familiar with the "emergent church movement", how does it differ from the biblical fellowshipping of the NT??

If he doesn't mind I'll answer for him. The emergent church is a very very dangerous movement (or as they would call it "conversation"). It is based on the postmodernist mindset- absolute truth is unknowable and cannot be discovered. It is ecumenical in nature, that is, trying to promote unity with the cost of good doctrine. (I'm using the big words because you'll come across them again).

Christianity today has an article supporting the emergent church. He says there are "five themes that characterize the emerging movement. I see them as streams flowing into the emerging lake." To summarize it the emergent church wants to reshape church (Hence the house church stuff etc. They often will call themselves Christ-followers instead of Christians to set themselves apart). Also, they seek to engage postmodernists- saying we cannot know absolute truth. The article claims only some groups of emergents are postmodernists while some are trying to free people from post modernism but I'm not so sure how true that is. Emergents also seek to make services fresh and new, with incense burning, pretty lights, hip music, laid back atmosphere. And of course the most shocking is that they embrace this, quoted directly from the article "...what really matters is orthopraxy and that it doesn't matter which religion one belongs to, as long as one loves God and one's neighbor as one's self." So thats what that article said, as a supporter.

Edit:

Excerpt from the Emergent Manifesto of Hope:
Can it be that the teachings of the gospel are embedded and can be found in reality itself rather than being exclusively isolated in sacred texts and our interpretations of those texts? If the answer is yes, can it be that they are embedded in other stories, other peoples’ histories, and even other religions?...
God’s table is welcoming all who seek, and if any religion is to win, may it be the one that produces people who are the most loving, the most humble, the most Christlike. Whatever the meaning of “salvation” and “judgement,” we Christians are going to be saved by grace, like everyone else, and judged by our works, like everyone else…
For most critics of such open Christianity, the problem with inclusiveness is that it allows for truth to be found in other religions. To emerging Christians, that problem is sweet… Moreover, if non-Christians can know our God, then we want to benefit from their contribution to our faith. (192, 195,196,)

2007/6/23 1:17Profile
LoveHim

Indiana, US

Re:

dear brothers,

thank you hopepurifies for the update on the emergent church.. that's some crazy stuff. do they not believe in the Word of God?? or do they think that the Bible is just up to whoevers interpretation of it?? it's amazing what this world is coming to and what "new modern christianity" is proclaiming..wow.

thanks corey for the 5 benefits of meeting in the home church. i'm sorry that you don't fellowship there anymore, but have you found a house church now that is a little closer with your doctrine??? if so, how is that going??

if anyone else has met themselves or know of people that met in a house church, i would love to hear about it and the benefits that they've experienced from such a fellowship..

2007/6/23 11:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy