SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : street corner preaching

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Words are powerful, and death and life are in the power of the tongue. When we curse, demean, diminish, or belittle with our words, we speak lies—Satan's language. When we speak the truth of God's Word into people's lives, we bless them.

Hi Chanin you are totally right in your post and in what you are saying. I am not trying to say that Jesse's (lazarus) comments are all 100% perfect, but after speaking to the brother I really feel his heart is in the right place. The biggest problem here is communication and Jesse (lazaurs) comments are usually quite abrupt and don't really explain themselves clearly even though he has great intentions. Please have the benefit of the doubt and patience with him. Where you able to read the testimony I posted on page 5 of this thread!!

I used to be quite abrupt in my posts on the forums but now I seem more long-winded. :-P If Jesse spent the time writing out in paragraph form what he means, insted of just quoting the one side of what he is saying then I am sure you would be saying AMEN to alot of his posts. I pray and hope that everyone can put what was discussed aside and start afresh in fellowship with this brother, I think he has alot of good to say and contribute.

2004/4/12 11:39Profile
rookie

Re:

I was feeling sorry for myself all weekend. I gave up everything I had been working for. I gave up being an elder, children's ministry leader, bible college, and soon to be pastor within the congregation. This site, (The Church), has caused me to consider my ways.

'We preach Holiness, however, and the ones that get most upset by our preaching are usually professing Christians who are living in sin. That kind of preaching helped bring me out of my "sinning Christianity," and it brings some to conviction. It may be the case that we're going to have to evangelize the church before we can turn fully to evangelizing the heathens."

There is much to repent of in this days church.

I am on old fart, being radicalized by you kids! Jesus has a hold on you all. I thankyou for your faithfulness to our Lord Jesus Christ. I hear Him in your words. Lazurus you have raised me out of the grave of self pity this morning.

In Christ
Jeff

2004/4/12 13:13Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

Dear Jeff

"Lazurus you have raised me out of the grave of self pity this morning"

That's a really powerful statement. I um.... well I don't know what to say to that besides thank you.

jesse

2004/4/12 18:31Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

A comment about "old people not changing," that is a general comment, of course no statement outside of the bible is absolute. If you have gone out into your neighborhood, or talked with extended family members, or talked to any other people you meet throughout the day, and you witness to them about bible things: sin, justice, God, Jesus' payment on the cross, bible things, etc. If you go out and witness, you will find that younger people are much more open than people in their 30's and older. This comment is pretty common among others who witness to strangers regularly.

It's just a general comment, my mom witnesses of her faith to strangers all the time, and has experienced this. Even though she is mocked all the time, younger people are at least a little more open than the older ones. Older professing christians have even told my mom to stop talking bible things in public.

Let's use this knowledge to our advantage, warning those ignorant of future judgment, punishment in hell without repentance of sins. The stiff-necked need Jesus too, but let's focus more energy on those seeking Truth. Praise Jesus for the laborers! The harvest is plentiful, the workers are few. Lord, please thrust laborers into Your harvest fields who will faithfully, truthfully, and lovingly preach the Gospel completely and biblically. In Jesus' Name I pray, Amen.

2004/4/15 19:20Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

Rookie quoted 'We preach Holiness, however, and the ones that get most upset by our preaching are usually professing Christians who are living in sin. That kind of preaching helped bring me out of my "sinning Christianity," and it brings some to conviction. It may be the case that we're going to have to evangelize the church before we can turn fully to evangelizing the heathens."

There is much to repent of in this days church. " end quote

I've noticed this problem, I am a new Christian (3 year) and haven't been much of a churchgoer before that. As an outsider coming into church, I seem to notice things that people growing up in church all their life don't seem to think about or analyze.

I asked a different forum, "Is it just me or are there not a lot of genuine God-fearing, God-loving Christians?" Because I really thought it was just me. Someone wrote back, that unforunately, a lot of churchgoers are not truly saved. A missions magazine also said the church pews are a harvest field that still needs to repent and turn to Christ.
I think church should be a place for sinners to turn to, that's great. But what is up with those comments about all these churchgoers? Is this the case at your church? Do you meet people at church who act totally worldly outside of church?
If you do and you are a Christian, do you know what the bible says to do about that (it has answers) Going along with those people, pretending they are fine and dandy with God is helping them go to hell. I hope you are honest with yourself and with God about your own commitment to Christ. If you are not helping Him, you are scattering. Hypocrisy is ssoooooooooooooooo easy to see. Hypocrits don't fool anyone, especially kids. Kids know it and see it faster than anyone. I knew my whole life my dad wasn't following the Bible, even though he went to church every Sunday. I was shocked to see a Jesus plaque in the house one day, turned out my Buddhist mom put it in there, she told my dad, "If you're a Christian, show it." He still doesn't.

Don't go along with sinning Christians (those who practice sin on purpose habitually). Christians need to be honest and speak the truth in love. It may not seem loving to sinners to hear the truth, but the Bible says, 'For you were once darkness, but now you are light in the Lord. Live as children of light (for the fruit of the light consists in all goodness, righteousness, and truth) and find out what pleases the Lord. Have nothing to do with the fruitless deeds of darkness, but rather expose them. For it is shameful even to mention what the disobedient do in secret." (Eph 5:8-12)
Proverbs says "open rebuke is better than hidden love." Don't just go along with sinning churchgoers and pretend that pleases God, it doesn't.
I have met way too many smoking, cussing, drug-abusing, Jerry Springer-type professing "Christians" to not talk about this. I am disgusted by people who call themselves Christians but live like the devil at home.

Be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves, but don't pursue peace with man so much that you disobey God.

2004/4/17 0:45Profile
bigdaveusa

Re:

Oilpanter,
I will speak for myself about unbelief in the church; it's a difficult thing to address a person's spiritual condition when the preachers around them tell them that they are saved because they went forward at an alter call and said a prayer. I love what Ray Comfort preaches about working out your salvation with fear and trembling, and making your election true. That's at the heart of the matter. There is no repentance or mourning over our sinful condition. People seem to be saying the "sinners prayer" so that they can have God fulfill their wishlist for this life. I am sick over it.....

2004/4/17 13:44Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

quote: "Older professing christians have even told my mom to stop talking bible things in public."
That's a sad story. It's true that time does not equal maturity. The problem has not been speaking the truth in public but rather the opposite.

quote: "Do you meet people at church who act totally worldly outside of church?
If you do and you are a Christian, do you know what the bible says to do about that (it has answers)…"
Some of the worldiest people there are come from our churches today. They are more worldly then others because they hear the truth yet they go on in the wrong way. I only have three words for us: Guard your fellowship.

The answer is in 1 Cor 5:9-13 "I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioneres, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone NAMED A BROTHER, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortioner, NOT EVEN TO EAT WITH SUCH A PERSON. For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those whoa re inside? But those who are outside God judges, Therefore "PUT AWAY FROM YOURSELVES THE EVIL PERSON." You may not be able to control who comes into your church, but you can control who you let into your own personal fellowship.

Quote: "I am disgusted by people who call themselves Christians but live like the devil at home"
AMEN AMEN AND AMEN

2004/4/17 17:40Profile
bigdaveusa

Re:

Quote:
"I only have three words for us: Guard your fellowship. "
That is an excellent reminder and well supported by scripture. Your posts get better everyday....

;-)

2004/4/17 21:11Profile
rocklife

usa

Re:

yes, bigdaveusa, I know what you mean. When I was confirmed in the Lutheran church as a teenager, the church leaders told me I was a Christian. I knew I wasn't a christian, because I was secretly vandalizing church property and smoking behind the building. Unfortunately, others believe what they are told by their church leaders (like my 24 year old brother), especially when the church leaders repeatedly tell them they are a Christian because they've done certain things (prayer, baptism, etc).

I don't judge others' Christianity, that's between them and God, only God knows who loves Him wholeheartedly. But I call sin "sin."

About fellowshipping, those are good comments. I have had to separate from so many people because of those verses. I evangelize and reach out to sinners, but I don't hang out with them while they do drugs or whatever sins, ya know. I've even had to turn down job offers because I couldn't be around the bosses and condone their behaviors that I knew about (I told them what was up with their sinful ways-they were professing Christians, and they told me to take a hike anyway. A note: the people I've had to say something about a severe lapse in judgment, has so far been people I've known personally for at least a year, and prayed a lot about, we must exercise wisdom with that sort of thing). We are to be in the world, but not of the world. We must be salt and light to this evil world, but we can't do that if we totally avoid the ungodly.
We can't hang out with them just to hang out, but we should be available to the ungodly for help or guidance, ya know. Wisdom must be exercised about that, if you're not a wholehearted committed christian, don't even try evangelizing and reaching out to the ungodly, the hypocrisy is way too obvious. Genuine love is so rare, but fake love is everywhere. If you're fake about it, the ungodly know, I know because I used to be sooo ungodly and I saw hypocrisy everywhere in church.

2004/4/17 21:14Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

For almost two years I have been preaching open-air here in CT and never had any problems with the police...until recently. In the past two weeks I have had three encounters with the police. They are basicly trying everything they can to shut me down. It's really sad and they really have been picken on me and being remarkably petty. If you could pray when you get a chance that they stop so the gospel can be heard without interuption that would rock.

jess

2004/4/18 17:55Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy