SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : street corner preaching

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

Quote:
"Jesus' first sermon made people try to throw him off a cliff but other times they would follow him any where. If they reject you it is because they have rejected God."

Quote:
"Brother Jesse, I hate to disagree with you so much but you are using many examples that are extreme and shouldn't be applyed in this way."

Explain please. It's not right to say that and then not explain. Which way was it applied wrong?

John 15:18 "If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hates you. If you were of the world, the wold would love its own. yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you, 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also." Jesus Christ

2004/4/10 21:24Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Lazarus,

You do not have any right to begin to throw accusations like this at someone you have absolutely no idea of. I would be very, very careful in doing so.

For one it is with the wrong spirit.
Two, you have not the faintest idea of how devoted Chanin is to the Lord. She is an inspiritation to many of us here and she needs not to defend herself. But I certainly will.
In fact I will say that she put's many of us to shame in wholeheartedness.

Certainly you have your own zeal and that's wonderful. But to start making character judgements in such a short time that you have been here is unwise and unloving.

Also, I submit the following for consideration as it applies to this topic:

[i]Act 6:1 In those days, as the number of the disciples was growing larger and larger, a complaint was made by the Hellenistic Jews against the Hebraic Jews that their widows were being neglected in the daily distribution of food.
Act 6:2 So the twelve called the whole group of disciples together and said, "It is not desirable for us to neglect the word of God in order to wait on tables.
Act 6:3 Therefore, brothers, appoint seven men among you who have a good reputation, who are full of the Spirit and wisdom, and we will put them in charge of this work.
Act 6:4 Then we will devote ourselves to prayer and to the ministry of the word."
Act 6:5 This suggestion pleased the whole group. So they chose Stephen, a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit, Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolaus, a gentile convert to Judaism from Antioch.
Act 6:6 They had these men stand before the apostles, who prayed and laid their hands on them.
Act 6:7 So the word of God continued to spread, and the number of disciples in Jerusalem continued to grow rapidly. Even a large number of priests became obedient to the faith.[/i]

2004/4/10 21:30Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

Your right, I don't know her. But if I didn't care about her then I wouldn't have said anything. All I know is what she has written.

She wrote: Quote "I do not really have a heart to evangelize and I really don't feel guilty anymore that i don't." moreofhim

Thats all I know of her. It's not so much that I accused her as it is that she herself confessed with her own words.

Quote "For one it is with the wrong spirit." crsschk
Now that is an accusation. Bro, there is nothing but love on this end. I assure you of that.

2004/4/10 21:35Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

The one thing that we have to keep in mind is the nature of posting in this forum. It can be easy to misunderstand thing's as they don't always get expressed the way they may be intended at the first. Sometimes it takes a couple of replys to straighten things out. We are not all authors and some of us really fumble around for words and expressions sometimes, especially yours truely.

I believe this is a case in point as Chanin followed up with her replys.

2004/4/10 21:51Profile
moreofHim

Re:

Lazarus, you are welcome to visit my website anytime. www.moreofhim.net I am sure that I may have evangelized a tiny bit there. You can also join my mailing list and be "evangelized". :-D

It's not that I don't have a heart for evangelizing. I hope I do that everyday. I just don't have a calling to go out to every person I meet and tell them they are going to hell.

Do you not agree that there are different gifts and different callings? My gift is not in "evangelism" as some would think evangelism is supposed to be.

Quote:
1 Now concerning spiritual gifts, brethren, I do not want you to be ignorant: 2 You know that F38 you were Gentiles, carried away to these dumb idols, however you were led. 3 Therefore I make known to you that no one speaking by the Spirit of God calls Jesus accursed, and no one can say that Jesus is Lord except by the Holy Spirit. 4 There are diversities of gifts, but the same Spirit. 5 There are differences of ministries, but the same Lord. 6 And there are diversities of activities, but it is the same God who works all in all. 7 But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to each one for the profit of all: 8 for to one is given the word of wisdom through the Spirit, to another the word of knowledge through the same Spirit, 9 to another faith by the same Spirit, to another gifts of healings by the same F39 Spirit, 10 to another the working of miracles, to another prophecy, to another discerning of spirits, to another different kinds of tongues, to another the interpretation of tongues. 11 But one and the same Spirit works all these things, distributing to each one individually as He wills.

Quote:
27 Now you are the body of Christ, and members individually. 28 And God has appointed these in the church: first apostles, second prophets, third teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, administrations, varieties of tongues. 29 Are all apostles? Are all prophets? Are all teachers? Are all workers of miracles? 30 Do all have gifts of healings? Do all speak with tongues? Do all interpret? 31 But earnestly desire the best F41 gifts. And yet I show you a more excellent way.

In His perfect love, Chanin

2004/4/10 21:57Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

quote "Do you not agree that there are different gifts and different callings?"

Yes and no. Yes there are different callings but no evangelism is not a gift. It is a learned skill. I had to read books and study it because I did not have the "gift of evangelism" put on my lap.

According to Ephesians an "Evangelist" is "for the equiping of the saints for the work of ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ." So an evangelist teaches "the saints for the work of the ministry." An evangelist teaches christians how they are to evangelize.
Every Christian is not to be an Evangelist, but scripturally speaking every Christian is to evangelize.

You said you don't "go out to every person I meet and tell them they are going to hell."
I don't do that either but I believe that I really ought to, atleast if they are unsaved ofcoarse. :)

2004/4/10 22:05Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

You know, I found this site a bit more edifying and enjoyable when everyone seemed to quote something they agreed with and just typed encouragements. That was great and that was all I wanted to do at first (read my very first posting on this thread) I would like to get back to that.

Confused just a tad

Quote:
"Jesus' first sermon made people try to throw him off a cliff but other times they would follow him any where. If they reject you it is because they have rejected God."

Quote:
"Brother Jesse, I hate to disagree with you so much but you are using many examples that are extreme and shouldn't be applyed in this way."

Explain please. It's not right to say that and then not explain. I'm left confused. Which way was it applied wrong?

John 15:18 "If the world hates you, you know that it hated Me before it hates you. If you were of the world, the wold would love its own. yet because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. Remember the word that I said to you, 'A servant is not greater than his master.' If they persecuted Me, they will also persecute you. If they kept My word, they will keep yours also." Jesus Christ

2004/4/10 22:14Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Yes repentance needs to come to the church, and the first thing that needs to be repented of is the hearts that don't care enough about the lost to tell them how they can recieve everlasting life.

Jesse your comments are abit wearysome, did you even read some of my posts, it seems you are directly the conversation on only what you want and doing that quite abruptly. It would be nice for you to mediatate and think over what other people say and even pause and pray about it. We all have alot to learn, I understand that you are zealous about street preaching but don't let it blind you please be considerate to others, Chanin is a wonderful sister in the Lord and has truly been a blessing in my life more than words can explain. She is sold-out for God in a wonderful way and is listening to God's heart more than many that I know. Jesse I know your young and I would ask you also to respect elders and speak accordinly, some peoples conversation in these forums are convered with the [b]fragerance[/b] of Christ and its beautiful to see.

I would also ask you review the last 2 paragraphs of my post on [i]page 3[/i] of this thread, I hope you read them with an open-mind.

Quote:
Confused just a tad

Please also have patience, forums usually don't go as fast as live chat sessions, etc today I have not been that busy so I have time to prayerfully delve into this discussion thread. Please think about what is being said and reply accordingly, I have re-read many peoples posts here to ensure I haven't been getting ahead of what is being said. 'Explain please. It's not right to say that and then not explain. I'm left confused. Which way was it applied wrong?' did you go back and read that passage again prayerfully? Let us come to God's word with reverence and humblness to recieve our daily manna, the Lord surely gives to those who are 'broken in spirit' and have a 'contrite heart'.

Quote:
Jesus' first sermon made people try to throw him off a cliff but other times they would follow him any where. If they reject you it is because they have rejected God.

[b]Luke 4:14-30[/b] - Jesus returned to Galilee in the power of the Spirit, and news about him spread through the whole countryside. He taught in their synagogues, and everyone praised him. He went to Nazareth, where he had been brought up, and on the Sabbath day he went into the synagogue, as was his custom. And he stood up to read. The scroll of the prophet Isaiah was handed to him. Unrolling it, he found the place where it is written: [color=CC0000]"The Spirit of the Lord is on me, because he has anointed me to preach good news to the poor. He has sent me to proclaim freedom for the prisoners and recovery of sight for the blind, to release the oppressed, to proclaim the year of the Lord's favor."[/color] Then he rolled up the scroll, gave it back to the attendant and sat down. The eyes of everyone in the synagogue were fastened on him, and he began by saying to them,[color=CC0000]"Today this scripture is fulfilled in your hearing."[/color] All spoke well of him and were amazed at the gracious words that came from his lips. "Isn't this Joseph's son?" they asked. Jesus said to them, [color=CC0000]"Surely you will quote this proverb to me: 'Physician, heal yourself! Do here in your hometown what we have heard that you did in Capernaum.' " "I tell you the truth,"[/color] he continued,[color=CC0000]"no prophet is accepted in his hometown. I assure you that there were many widows in Israel in Elijah's time, when the sky was shut for three and a half years and there was a severe famine throughout the land. Yet Elijah was not sent to any of them, but to a widow in Zarephath in the region of Sidon. And there were many in Israel with leprosy in the time of Elisha the prophet, yet not one of them was cleansed--only Naaman the Syrian."[/color] All the people in the synagogue were furious when they heard this. They got up, drove him out of the town, and took him to the brow of the hill on which the town was built, in order to throw him down the cliff. But he walked right through the crowd and went on his way.
---

You cannot use that as a scapegoat to preach anything you wish from the bible and then say if people reject me so what! its God they are rejecting. First off Jesus wasnt preaching law and about hell or eternal damnation, he was clearly just showing His messiahship and His calling from God. He quoted from Isaiah that He has come to preach good news and freedom to captives. God longs and loves His creation, He desires that none are lost. Are you willing to share this sorrow? Are you pleading with tears?

"There is no power like that of availing prayer. It turns ordinary mortals into men of power. It brings fire, it brings rain, it brings life, it brings God."
-Samuel Chadwick

"Mr. Chadwick was right. When God comes and visits His people, we begin to feel what's on His heart. And what is on God's heart? The Bible says, "When He saw the crowds He had compassion on them." The heart of Jesus breaks for the multitudes who are without a shepherd in life. When God comes in power to our churches and our personal lives we will begin to feel the very passion of Christ for a lost and dying world."
-Sammy Tippit

Finney and other great preachers never considered themselves adequate unless God was on them in power. Finneys main work was to get the church praying for souls (revival). Travailing and perserving in prayer for lost souls.

"However, there was one thing missing at the conference that is often present in their worship - weeping. North American Christians are good at telling jokes, but terrible at weeping for souls. We know how to laugh, but have forgotten how to cry. Somehow, in the midst of our Christian work, we've lost our passion, especially our passion for souls. Consequently, we stand in need of revival."
-Sammy Tippit

"How long has it been since you wept over the eternal destiny of people?"
-Sammy Tippit

2004/4/10 22:53Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Hey, it's alright brother.

You did say:

Quote:
What do u guys think?

:-)

As they often do, these threads will evolve as other questions come up. It still can be edifying even if there are different points of view.

The reason I brought up the Acts verse's was that it is really pretty interesting if you think about it. One of the ones they chose to wait on tables was Stepehen.

What a fascinating guy!
He is marked out at the begining as "[i]a man full of faith and the Holy Spirit[/i]" and still humble enough to wait on tables and let the others go on to prayer and ministry of the Word.

It goes on to state "[i] full of grace and power, was performing great wonders and signs among the people.[/i]"

Full of faith, the Holy Spirit, grace and power, no wonder he was doing these things!

Being that the text only tells us of the one 'sermon' he preached, I wouldn't want to read into it one way or the other only to point out that the others "had gone on..."

But what a 'sermon'!
What an evangelist, even if it was only for one day!

Had planned on going further with this, but this deserves it's own topic.

What I wanted to point out was that there are different ways of going about things, different callings at different times. If we were all as prepared as Stephen was it wouldn't make any differance how or when or by what means we went about evangelising, we would be leaving a lasting impression.

Also have to remember those who stayed back as waiters (Philip, Prochorus, Nicanor, Timon, Parmenas, and Nicolaus).

And lastly, the impression of all that took place on the notorius Saul of Tarsus.

Just food for thought...

2004/4/10 23:48Profile
lazarus

Connecticut

Re:

One, I want to say that I believe with all my heart absolutely everything I have written and stood for in this forum. I think my thoughts wisely and say my thoughts. I share only what comes from my heart.

Yea I've actually weeped right infront of the crowds on the streets while preaching in the open air. I can't help it. Often I cry in my prayers but sometimes I'll just be like walking through the house and not even thinking about anything spiritual and then the Spirit will come upon me and I will just fall to the ground into a little ball and weep uncontrollably.

When the early church wasn't doing what they were suppose to do God sent persecution and Philip the table waiter became Philip the revivalist who won atleast one entire city to the Lord.

quote "You cannot use that as a scapegoat to preach anything you wish from the bible and then say if people reject me so what! its God they are rejecting." If you preach the truth, and people reject the truth, they are rejecting you and your message because they have decided to reject the truth. If they rejected Jesus then I would expect that if I am like Jesus I will be rejected. The more you share in His labors, the more you share in His sorrows. Ravenhill - "How is it that the world couldn't get on with the holiest man that ever lived but it could get on with you and me?"

2004/4/10 23:55Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy