SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : what bibletranslation to get?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 Next Page )
PosterThread
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hello...

I would like to interject that these "missing" or "added" verses are not [i]deleted from[/i] or [i]added to[/i] the NIV. They simply were not present in the majority of the text sources and ancient manuscripts used in the NIV. In the end, all of these variations are simply the differences between the sources used for the basis of the translations.

As for the superiority of the Textus Receptus, Alexandrian text sources, or other sources (Dead Sea Scrolls, etc...), I simply do [u]not[/u] believe that there is enough evidence to make a final, ultimate verdict in the matter. That is why I personally study both the NIV and the KJV -- which I believe represent the best, and most academic translations of their sources.

Of course, I will always study with my KJV due to the great amount of FREE resources available. The plethora of readily available sources are a wonderful means for serious study of God's Word.

:-)

2007/5/11 13:19Profile

Re:

Quote:
I would like to interject that these "missing" or "added" verses are not deleted from or added to the NIV. They simply were not present in the majority of the text sources and ancient manuscripts used in the NIV. In the end, all of these variations are simply the differences between the sources used for the basis of the translations.

Absolutely correct. I agree. The fault is w/ the sources they used, which results in these verses not showing up in the modern versions.

Quote:
As for the superiority of the Textus Receptus, Alexandrian text sources, or other sources (Dead Sea Scrolls, etc...), I simply do not believe that there is enough evidence to make a final, ultimate verdict in the matter. That is why I personally study both the NIV and the KJV -- which I believe represent the best, and most academic translations of their sources.

This is where we differ. I think there is enough evidence to convict.

Quote:
Of course, I will always study with my KJV due to the great amount of FREE resources available. The plethora of readily available sources are a wonderful means for serious study of God's Word.

Absolutely right... and I'm glad you brought that up. The KJV has no copyright on it. We are free to quote from it in written, spoken and published material without having to pay royalties to the copyright holder. This is [b]not[/b] true of the modern versions, all of which is copyrighted, and you can not use without permission and/or paying someone.

This is why I question the motives of the publishing companies. Money is the issue.

Who owns the copyright to the NIV? The International Bible Society holds the copyright, but Zondervan has exclusive rights to the NIV, which means thats where the majority of royalties go. Who owns Zondervan? There are a couple levels above Zondervan... but the buck stops (literally) at Rupert Murdock. Owner of Fox... an unbeliever who is responsible for much of the trash on TV.

Krispy

2007/5/11 13:29
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
The KJV has no copyright on it. We are free to quote from it in written, spoken and published material without having to pay royalties to the copyright holder. This is not true of the modern versions, all of which is copyrighted, and you can not use without permission and/or paying someone.

This is why I question the motives of the publishing companies. Money is the issue.

Who owns the copyright to the NIV? The International Bible Society holds the copyright, but Zondervan has exclusive rights to the NIV, which means thats where the majority of royalties go. Who owns Zondervan? There are a couple levels above Zondervan... but the buck stops (literally) at Rupert Murdock. Owner of Fox... an unbeliever who is responsible for much of the trash on TV.

Krispy this is misleading. The KJV does have a copyright on it.

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_James_Version#Copyright_status]Source[/url]

Quote:
In most of the world the King James Bible has passed out of copyright and is freely reproduced. This is not the case in the United Kingdom.
In the United Kingdom, the rights to the Authorized Version are held by the British Crown.

Also please read this [url=http://www.baptistpillar.com/bd0548.htm]article.[/url]

Quote:
If the fact that the King James Bible is not under copyright in the US indicates that it is the word of God and not the words of men, as the newer versions are indicated to be by virtue of their copyright, does that also mean, as the KJV is under copyright in England, that it is not the word of God in that country? To me, the copyright argument does not prove anything other than that currently if you want to print the NIV you have to pay to do so, but you do not have to receive anyone's permission to print the KJV in this country. However, one hundred years from now (or even 75 years from now) the copyright on the NIV will cease and anyone can print it without permission or payment. Will the NIV be a better or more accurate version in 50 or 75 years when its copyright expires?

I don't think so. The argument dealing with copyright is weak at best, and deceitful at worst. There are so many good reasons to believe in the superiority of the King James Bible, it seems odd to me to use a false argument to support a book of Truth.

2007/5/11 13:42Profile
ccchhhrrriiisss

Re:

Hi Krispy...

Yes, we certainly disagree about whether the evidence is present to discredit one set of sources, and ultimately, the versions translated from it. I have read many arguments, pro and con, about the sources used for the NIV. I am inclined to test the sources of such dispute. Currently, a majority (from what I understand) of translators, archeaologists, linguists and manuscript historians support the unbaised authenticity Alexandrian Texts. Does this make it right? Or course not. However, in my opinion, there is enough reason to abstain from making a final judgment in the matter.

The KJV is not without similar criticism. Issues have been historically raised concerning the instructions that were given to the translators of the KJV. For instance, they were instructed to use a questionable version (the "Bishop's Bible") as the basis of the "new" version. Some traditional terms and phrases were retained, seemingly against the wishes of some of the translators. Additionally, some have criticized the translators' exclusive use of "formal equivalence" (word-for-word translation, rather than the "dynamic equivalence" style that conveys thought). Anyone who has translated a passage from Spanish to English (or vice versa) realize the problems associated with exclusive use of either formal equivalence or dynamic equivalence. And of course, there are scholars who believe that the Alexandrian text and other sources are intrinsically superior to the Textus Receptus.

One problem that I have noticed with the KJV is the lack of footnotes. The translators certainly noted areas of dispute -- but they are not included in the finished manuscript. The NIV is quick to include the debated passages, phrases or words with an footnote signifying such rationale and alternative explanations.

As for Zondervan, I'd like to also let it be known that they were independent at the time that the New International Version was published (in 1978). They were not purchased by HarperCollins (which is now owned by NewsCorp) until 1988. No one in Fox, NewsCorp, HarperCollins, or any other secular corporation had any input into the translation.

*EDIT...

- As far as a "copyright" is concerned, you may want to consider that the works by David Wilkerson, Leonard Ravenhill, etc... are protected by copyrights. In addition, certain other works are also legally protected or copyrighted (including the KJV of the Gideon Bibles found in hotels). Does this mean that they are "in it for the money?" Of course not. They simply are protecting their own name. Since it was published, the NIV is allowed to be used in a work up to 500 verses (or less than 25% of a total work). This is not to simply "make money" off of a version -- but to protect it from being commercially reproduced or used in a malignant manner.

:-)

2007/5/11 13:52Profile

Re:

Jay... I'm not being misleading. A copyright held by the "crown" of England is far different from one being owned by a publishing company.

First off, as an American, the "crown" of England is meaningless to me. (sorry philologos!)

Secondly, you dont have to pay royalties to the Royalty, or have their permission to reproduce this.

Once again, Jay... your putting apples beside oranges.

There is no comparison here.

Also, I dont use the copyright issue to proove the KJV is the Word of God. My point about the copyright is that money is involved, and if there is any reason for the over [b]80[/b] modern English versions produced in the last 120 plus years... it's publishing rights. And when there is a copyright on what is supposed to be God's Word, and that copyright generates money for a secular entity... I say there is a problem there.

And yes... I have a problem with a KJV (which has no copyright royalties) costing the same as an NIV at the bookstore.

Krispy

2007/5/11 14:37
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Krispy, the only reason the United States (as one of many) does not recognize the KJV copyright is because of the number of years that has passed since it was created.

Let me put it this way, Go to the United Kingdom and start creating copies of the KJV and "her majesty" has every right to sue you.

Also, in about 90+ years we can all enjoy the NASB, the NIV, the ESV etc. as Public Domain.

2007/5/11 15:03Profile

Re:

Quote:
First off, as an American, the "crown" of England is meaningless to me.

As a Canadian it means alot, GOD SAVE THE QUEEN!! ;-)

2007/5/11 15:27
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Krispy,

I don't want you to think I am picking on you with this, but it is (as the article before said) weak at best and dishonest at worst to use the copyright argument against modern versions.

Basically, the purpose of the copyright is to protect a company like Crossway (ESV), Lockman (NASB), and Zondervan (NIV) from having another company print, distribute, and sell the translation that they spent their time, talent, and treasures creating.

2007/5/11 15:39Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

Quote:
First off, as an American, the "crown" of England is meaningless to me.

:-) I agree, but that is another discussion for another time. haha

2007/5/11 15:40Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

quite a list..... will take a little time to go through.....

thanks Krispy

2007/5/11 15:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy