SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Jesus' "Pinnacle" temptation

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread

Jesus' "Pinnacle" temptation

Matthew 4:5ff
[color=003366]5 Then the devil took Him up into the holy city, set Him on the pinnacle of the temple, 6 and said to Him, “If You are the Son of God, throw Yourself down. For it is written:
‘He shall give His angels charge over you,’
and,
In their hands they shall bear you up,
Lest you dash your foot against a stone.’ ”
7 Jesus said to him, “It is written again, ‘You shall not 1tempt the Lord your God.’ ” [/color]

If I had been in Jesus' position I would have gleefully pointed out the next verse of the Psalm Satan quoted!

[color=003366] 13 You shall tread upon the lion and the cobra,
The young lion and the serpent you shall trample underfoot.[/color]

Why didn't He, I wonder?

Just a thought. I find it somehow challenging that He didn't. There was a reason...

The only thought at the moment is that Jesus wasn't interested in scoring points, or answering back to Satan. That, to me, IS challenging, cos I'm terrible to keep on arguing :oops: !

Jeannette

2007/4/4 19:21
dohzman

Re: Jesus' "Pinnacle" temptation

I think that we all argue at times :-o So you're not alone. I think if you look at Jesus and the temptation experience and go back to the first Adam and compare, you may have a window into the purposes of Christ through this wilderness experience. Than consider this verse of scripture 1Jo 2:16. What do ya think???

2007/4/4 22:52Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Jesus responds the way that he does because Satan isn't saying anything wrong, he's got the wrong motives in saying it.

Satan is himself quoting scripture word for word... Psalm 91:11 if you didn't already know. What the Psalm says about Jesus is true, God would do this, if it was part of God's plan -but it isn't.

You see, Jesus replies the way he does here because, although the scripture is correct, the interpretation on the behalf of Satan is wrong. Jesus COULD do this, but that would be leaving the will of God. God's will is for Jesus to go to calvary, Jesus knows this.

Satan is trying to get Jesus off of the road to calvary, and he's using scripture to do it. The scripture isn't wrong, so Jesus isn't necessarily disagreeing, he's just saying it's not the right way.

I think he answered perfectly based on the circumstances (face it, Jesus is perfect).

2007/4/5 2:47Profile
dohzman

Re: look closer

Quote:
Jesus responds the way that he does because Satan isn't saying anything wrong, he's got the wrong motives in saying it.

Are you sure here? Look at the whole statement of satan and re-think through this whole scenaro. Note the little word "if" and than reformulate your statement.

Quote:
Satan is trying to get Jesus off of the road to calvary, and he's using scripture to do it. The scripture isn't wrong, so Jesus isn't necessarily disagreeing, he's just saying it's not the right way

1Co 2:8 Which none of the princes of this world knew: for had they known it, they would not have crucified the Lord of glory.
Are you sure that satan wanted Jesus off the road to calvary? I personally don't believe that devil has the ability to fore know, or fore knowledge.

2007/4/5 6:40Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
iansmith wrote:

Satan is himself quoting scripture word for word... Psalm 91:11 if you didn't already know. What the Psalm says about Jesus is true, God would do this, if it was part of God's plan -but it isn't.

No, he isn't quoting scripture word for word!

Satans' "quote" He shall give his angels charge concerning thee: and in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone.
[b]Psalms 91:11[/b] [color=990000]For he shall give his angels charge over thee, [b]to keep thee in all thy ways.[/b]
[b]12:[/b]They shall bear thee up in their hands, lest thou dash thy foot against a stone.[/color]

Satan perverts the Scripture to make it say what he wants.
"to keep thee in all thy ways." is to keep one in the way of rightousness.

2007/4/5 16:13Profile

Re:

Some helpful thoughts, thank you all.

However, no one has yet dealt with my main puzzle. Why did Jesus not quote the next part of the Psalm against Satan? I've heard "faith" preachers shout "The Devil is under my feet! The Devil is under my feet!" and go stomp, stomp, to show the believer's victory over Satan. But Jesus, who really does have that victory, didn't remind Satan that the same Psalm said He was going to squash Satan (the serpent etc) and all his hoards!

I would have wanted to say something about it, but Jesus didn't.

Why?

2007/4/5 18:48
dohzman

simplicity

Simply put Jesus didn't quote the next line, He "did" the next line!

2007/4/5 21:00Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
LittleGift on 2007/4/5 23:48:13
However, no one has yet dealt with my main puzzle. Why did Jesus not quote the next part of the Psalm against Satan?

I don't think He was trying to win an argument. There is a sense in which none of his 'answers' are crushing arguments against the tempter but are the expression of his own personal choices to live his life before God.

We can be too clever in our contests with the enemy. The simplest and surest line is "resist the devil and he will flee..."

2007/4/6 11:08Profile
Logic

Re:

Quote:
philologos wrote:
I don't think He was trying to win an argument. There is a sense in which none of his 'answers' are crushing arguments against the tempter but are the expression of his own personal choices to live his life before God.

We can be too clever in our contests with the enemy. The simplest and surest line is "resist the devil and he will flee..."

That is very wise!

None of us mortals are smart or even clever enough to out wit the eney, so we must only o Jesus and say, "the lord rebuke you" not take the enemy on our own.

2007/4/6 11:35Profile
rowdy2

Southern USA

I believe that to do what the devil ask to justify ones self, is to mock God.

Eddie

2007/4/6 12:35Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy