SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Exodus 4:24???

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
PosterThread
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re:

Quote:
It says here that he did have God's word

NUMBERS (NAS)

22:12
God said to Balaam , "Do not go with them; you shall not curse the people , for they are blessed."

22:20
God came to Balaam at night and said to him, "If the men have come to call you, rise up and go with them; but only the word which I speak to you shall you do."

22:22
But God was angry because he was going, and the angel of the LORD took his stand in the way as an adversary against him. Now he was riding on his donkey and his two servants were with him.

22:35
But the angel of the LORD said to Balaam , "Go with the men, but you shall speak only the word which I tell you." So Balaam went along with the leaders of Balak.

What we see here is God's perfect timing. In each instance, Balaam was given instruction based upon the timing. God had developed a plan, but Balaam was unaware of that plan. In addition, through this incident, the Lord taught Balaam to wait for His Word before doing anything. In verse 20, God basically tells Balaam, "don't do anything until I tell you." It was important for Balaam to wait precisely for the Lord to send His Word.

When reading this, it does seem confusing. I am sure Balaam was confused about the entire incident while it was happening. Until the Lord opened his eyes, he may have thought, "What do I do? Do I go or not? I thought you told me to go?"

When the Lord open his eyes, Balaam realized his mistake. He needed to wait on the Lord precisely and only speak exactly as the Lord tells him. He was to speak no other words. Through this incident, Balaam learned this. When Balaam arose, he left as the Lord commanded the night before. He thought he was doing the right thing. However, he did not wait for the Lord to give him the word to go. The Lord was trying to show Balaam that he is to do nothing until the Lord tells him. ("but only the word which I speak to you shall you do.")

I think many times in our modern day, we do the same. We read the bible and think, "I should go do this." We are quick to act thinking we are doing the right thing. However, the Lord has perfect timing. We really need to wait precisely for His command. The Lord may tells us what we are to do in the future. But, we should not act hastily. We should wait...."but only the word which I speak to you shall you do." In this, the Word of the Lord is not hindered.

Balaam should have waited that morning for the Lord to speak and tell him what to do. Instead, Balaam went without waiting. In this way, he displeased the Lord.

Hope that helps Goldminer,

In Christ,

Blake

2007/3/29 17:11Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

“And they slew the kings of Midian, beside the rest of them that were slain; namely, Evi, and Rekem, and Zur, and Hur, and Reba, five kings of Midian: Balaam also the son of Beor they slew with the sword.”
(Num 31:8 KJVS)
Did you notice the association between the Midianites and Balaam. What we have here is religion with revelation but no relationship. Balaam did have revelation but he used it for his own profit and not for the glory of God or the good of the people.

He was the hireling prophet. 2Pet. 2:15 (KJVS) Which have forsaken the right way, and are gone astray, following the way of Balaam the son of Bosor, who loved the wages of unrighteousness;
Jude 11 (KJVS) Woe unto them! for they have gone in the way of Cain, and ran greedily after the error of Balaam for reward, and perished in the gainsaying of Core.
Rev. 2:14 (KJVS) But I have a few things against thee, because thou hast there them that hold the doctrine of Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumblingblock before the children of Israel, to eat things sacrificed unto idols, and to commit fornication.
Balaam was determined to do what he wanted and to get that money. He could not bring a curse but he thought of a way to get God to curse them. His was was to get the Midianites to send out their women folk. The Israelites sinned and it brought the curse upon them.Num. 31:8 (KJVS) And they slew the kings of Midian, beside the rest of them that were slain; namely, Evi, and Rekem, and Zur, and Hur, and Reba, five kings of Midian: Balaam also the son of Beor they slew with the sword.
Num. 31:16 (KJVS) Behold, these caused the children of Israel, through the counsel of Balaam, to commit trespass against the Lord in the matter of Peor, and there was a plague among the congregation of the Lord.
Deut. 23:4 (KJVS) Because they met you not with bread and with water in the way, when ye came forth out of Egypt; and because they hired against thee Balaam the son of Beor of Pethor of Mesopotamia, to curse thee.
Josh. 13:22 (KJVS) Balaam also the son of Beor, the soothsayer, did the children of Israel slay with the sword among them that were slain by them. When the Israelites entered the promised land one of the first things they did was to execute Balaam.

2007/3/29 17:49Profile
beenblake

Tennessee, USA

Re:

Quote:
Did you notice the association between the Midianites and Balaam.

Not at first, however, I read further into this.

In the reading of the old testament account in relation to the comments made in the new testament, it is apparent there is more to the story. Revelations says, "Balaam, who taught Balac to cast a stumbling block before the children of Israel," and from this verse it seems Balaam is taking blame for the sin of all Israel.

When we read through Numbers 22-24, we discover that Balaam obeyed God precisely. Balaam spoke as the Lord commanded. He did not curse Israel. And He did not receive payment.

And yet, when we read Numbers 25, we discover that Israel "joined himself unto Baalpeor", thus committing adultery. They began worshiping false Gods. As a result, the Lord ordered the death of everyone who was "joined unto Baalpeor." This event is attributed to Balaam in Revelations that suggests he taught Balak how to curse the people by means of sin. As such, he sold out as indicated by 2 Peter 2:15 where he speaks about the "wages of unrighteousness", and in Jude 11 where it speaks of "reward."

Balaam must have been lead astray through greed and in turn, lead the people away from the Lord. He was executed for this. Though, the whole story of this event is obviously not recorded in detail in the old testament. We know in part.

The Lord told Balaam to speak only what he is told. Thus, the Lord told Balaam plainly not speak anything more. At first, Balaam did speak just as the Lord commanded. However, through these other passages, we learn that Balaam did not obey the Lord. He was bought out, and then proceeded to tell Balak how to curse the people through sin. The Israelites were drawn by beautiful women and lured to worship false gods. As a result, God punished all who followed.

Clearly, Balaam's heart was set on this from the beginning. This would explain why the Lord was angry that Balaam left. He was angered by Balaam's motives, not his actions. Indeed, Balaam obeyed the Lord, but his heart was far from the Lord. Balaam went with the men because he was seeking riches and reward, not because he loved the Lord. The obedience of Balaam was not a result of love, but a result of selfish greed.

The Lord did tell Balaam to go, and did use Balaam to speak. However, the Lord also knew what was in Balaam's heart. And so, by going, the Lord also exposed the sinfulness of Balaam's heart. The Lord could have stopped Balaam from going and from committing this sin. The Lord even tried by using the donkey. But Balaam did not love the Lord. Alas, the Lord had Balaam go only to expose his sinful heart.

Balaam, if indeed he had received the Word of the Lord, would have heeded the Lord's words in his heart, and said only what the Lord commanded. Instead, Balaam obeyed outwardly to achieve his own selfish end.

Is this more or less what you are trying to say Philogos? If so, I agree.

In love,
Blake

2007/3/29 20:32Profile
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Balaam

Thank you philologos for taking the time to relate these events. This is just as I have heard it before, that is the reason I spoke what I spoke. Balaam wanted the bribe. He kept asking until he got what he wanted.

2007/3/30 0:22Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Quote:
beenblake on 2007/3/30 1:32:57
Is this more or less what you are trying to say Philogos? If so, I agree.

Yes... I keep trying... ;-)

2007/3/30 6:30Profile
dohzman

Re:

Quote:
Most of the above is ‘speculation’. It is my ‘best fit’ hypothesis

Good speculation. Almost like saying that God has chosen faith as one of the principles with which we operate eh'?

2007/3/30 11:34Profile
strawrifle

uk

Re:

Hi thks for all the great replies.. it really helped me with the verse..andy

2007/4/1 19:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy