SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : what do you think about Chirstaian book store?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

BTW, just so people know, the book I was searching for (and found) was 'The Last Days Ministries Collection' and there are several more copies on the bookfind page already listed.

2007/3/20 11:50Profile

Re:

I have built up my library quite a bit via ebay and bookfinder... highly recommend. The stuff I'm looking for gets me a blank stare by the people working at the Christian bookstore... and after an awkward silence I say to them "Nevermind, I'll just get it online".

Every once in awhile you can find a treasure at a yard sale, or estate sale. Ya never know...

Krispy

2007/3/20 14:23

Re:

Quote:
I have built up my library quite a bit via ebay and bookfinder... highly recommend. The stuff I'm looking for gets me a blank stare by the people working at the Christian bookstore... and after an awkward silence I say to them "Nevermind, I'll just get it online".

Hahahahahahahaaa!!! Amen Brother!!!

We've got two bookstores to choose from in this city. When I asked for any books by A.W. Tozer, the first bookstore had a devotional, the second, his biography. Pitiful.

Sure are a lot of Purpose Driven books, harlequan-looking "Christian" novels, and Christian rock CDs... which reminds me, next time you're in a Christian bookstore, check out the "posters" - I'm amazed how many modern "Christian" musicians are covered in tattoos... ugh...

2007/3/20 14:57

Re:

The rare books that I get, I usually get at the local used book store. The book owner know me well and they are eager to show me their collection. I have better reaction from these folks, than I do with the Christian book sellers, go figure, eh?

2007/3/20 15:09
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

I work in a Christian ministry that works with other Christian ministries... I call a lot of people and rarely recieve a call back.

When I worked in the insurance industry it was common courtesy to call someone back if they left a message, even if you weren't interested in what they said. In fact my company enforced a four hour call back rule; call back in four hours no excuses.

It gets really frustrating some times when the secular world seems more 'genuine' than the Christin culture.

2007/3/20 15:42Profile

Re:

Quote:
It gets really frustrating some times when the secular world seems more 'genuine' than the Christin culture.

Yea, those dawg-gone humans have a way of messin' up our culture! :-)

Krispy

2007/3/20 16:19
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

I was playing around with a way to say that without making it accusatory towards everyone =P

But frankly I feel that people were at an entirely different level of courtesy and respect in the insurance industry... when I talk with Christian organizations they're 'nice' but not necessarily courteous. That is the crux of my observation.

2007/3/20 16:48Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

Maybe we think how silly it would be to have the book store that everyone is talking about. But is it? What if it was MINISTRY and not a store to make money. There got to be people standing up for the holy things! WE must stand for truth.
maybe it has to start with prayer. That people will hunger this, and have eyes opened to the lies. But shouldn't we speak out! Pray and pray more, besides saying that just the way it is, oh well. We are called to action.
How can you fight for our nation and stand for Hoilness?
in his love
charlene

2007/3/21 1:55Profile
UniqueWebRev

Southern California

Re: what do you think about Chirstaian book store?

Charlene,

You are really asking some great questions. They sound simple, but they are hard to answer.

I had to think a bit about my ideal Christian book store, knowing that even Christian's have to make a living.

You know, the first thing I would do is dedicate the store to God.

The second thing is, if I was going to have a book store, I would sell books, not knicknacks. If I wanted to have a variety store, it would have to be next door.

And the third thing I would do is try to get one copy of every good Christian book written, new and used, carry all the best bible software, have loads of DVD's of Christian movies, particularly for children, and I would specialize in getting books and Bibles for children and teens.

Then I would plant the store nearby to several churches, and put an outlet inside each church - they're so worldly these days, I imagine I could talk them into it for a fee.

And then I would ask God to help me plant His Word, and books about the Word into all the right people. And of course, I would advertise.

God won't do all the work, you know. 8-)

Blessings,

P.S. The best Christian Bookstore I've ever been to is run by a retired pastor. And he knows his books, inside and out! Alas, economics requires knicknacks and t-shirts, as well as framed pictures with quotes. Still, it's a good store!

2007/3/21 9:26Profile

Re:

Here's a thought... if people spent as much time reading their Bibles as they do reading books [i]about[/i] the Bible, or reading Christian novels, or listening to the latest Christian CD... we wouldnt be having this discussion because the bookstores would be out of business.

(and no... I'm not saying we should pray for Christian bookstores to go out of business...)

Krispy

2007/3/21 9:57

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy