SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : what do you think about Chirstaian book store?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: what do you think about Chirstaian book store?

I have had a desire to start a Christian bookstore for a long time and even did a bit of it online for a while.

I was sick of the junk available, fluff, watered down and just plain heresy.

I started a web site with most of the authors titles available on SI and more. I also sold on Ebay. I did pretty well, but not enough to make a living with, plus my husband didn't have a vision for it, so wouldn't allow me to pay the money I needed to get on some search engines, so I ultimately closed it up. So I don't get a bunch of rebukes, my husband wanted me to do it, but didn't want to put much into it.

I was amazed when a local owner of a Christian Bookstore wanted me to buy her store, she said she didn't want to do what she needed to do to stay in business, she would have to bring in books on the Holy Spirit. She also said she never read the books in her store she prefered the fiction section in Books A Million.

She had almost nothing worth reading in her store, she did have Bibles. However it was all the popular prosperity big name preachers. I didn't even want her stock. There was nothing I would sell. She said she didn't agee with their teachings but you had to have them to run a bookstore. I couldn't run that kind of a bookstore.

A large church I attended also had a bookstore that had worthwhile books to purchase at reasonable prices.

I think it is a shame to sell junk.

2007/3/19 13:29Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

John173 wrote:
The so called Christian book stores today are symptomatic of how wordly the church has become. They exist because they succeed at turning a profit. All the junk they sell is there because it does indeed sell. America is obsessed with materialism.

Because Christians are no longer lead to an intimate personal relationship with the Father and Son, the void in their hearts remains. Purchasing endless books, knick knacks, wall hangings ad infinitum is an attempt to fill that void. Sad isn't it?

I would love to have a bookstore filled with nothing but the classics. I'd have as much puritan writings as I could find, as well as Murray, Tozer, Torrey etc etc. Unfortuneately, such a store would go into bankruptcy.

Deep heavy sigh,

Doug

It's so sad, but true. It's so depressing to see how reliant Christianity has become on materialism. "The Church" is so screwed up in the area of money that it has become a second god, quite contradictary to Scripture!

2007/3/19 13:39Profile

Re:

Quote:
I think it is a shame to sell junk.

I would take it one step farther and say it is treason against God to do so knowingly.

In Christ - Jim

2007/3/19 13:40
John173

Omaha

Re:

This brings to mind Jesus reaction to the moneychangers selling sacrifices in the temple. It also reminds me of purchasing indulgances that will reduce your or a loved ones time in "purgatory". Good grief, mankind will buy into just about anything!

2007/3/19 13:45Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

You know.... I was just thinking about this just now...

Does anyone see the irony with putting WWJD on a little stone and then selling it for several dollars?

What Would Jesus Do? Well, He certianly wouldn't carve WWJD on a little stone and then sell it.

2007/3/19 14:07Profile
free2bee63

Re:

WWJD was a fad where I come from. It isn't around anymore.

What I thought was funny about it was the fact that youth weren't taught about being led, but instead, taught to think about what Jesus would do.

2007/3/19 14:15Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

so I have a aother question.
There are many ministry that are supported by
people who faithfuly support them. Could there not be a ministry, on line that had books, video , wedsite and such, for Chirstain to buy. Having all the great preacher of the past and day. Just like our sister started a while ago? If there where those who came together and help put it together, it could happen. If God can support missionary, He could allow this to be supported to. You are right there lots who love the worlds waterd down junk. Somtimes I wonder if the evil puts fear in our hearts, telling it can't be done. YOu know I think he is right. Who wants to buy good books? But I know honors the man you stands for hoilness. So maybe with manm it would close, but with God he make it happen? but there are still those who are seeking and wanting God is more real ways.
I pray that there could be somthing like that started again. Lord knows how we truth! America is so lost. With man it may be impossiable but with God with can be done.
Maybe we should pray for these book stores in our towns, I think I am going to go there and pray for those going in and out. Oh that we might pray. Maybe I could go in and prayer over the wrong teacher, I don't know. My heart is weak, when I think how so little people really don't want God. WE must pray.
I love what you had to say
in his love charlene

2007/3/19 14:19Profile
awakenwithin

AZ

Re:

I agree WDJD, I don't think he would do that.
in his love
charlene

2007/3/19 14:21Profile
BenBrockway

Re:

Quote:

free2bee63 wrote:

What I thought was funny about it was the fact that youth weren't taught about being led, but instead, taught to think about what Jesus would do.

Yup. It's such a shame.

This would make a great book title -
CHRISTIANITY: FOR FUN & PROFIT

2007/3/19 14:24Profile

Re:

I think you're better off visiting an occult bookstore... at least there you know what they're all about. In Christian bookstores there are so many false teachers (wolves in sheeps clothing) being peddled, merchanidise over charged, etc etc...

Remember what Jesus said:

Joh 2:16 And said unto them that sold doves, [i][color=FF0000]Take these things hence; make not my Father's house a house of merchandise. [/color][/i]

Krispy

2007/3/19 14:39

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy