SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : News and Current Events : "Killing on the battlefield is not a sin."

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Should a Christian serve his country and fight in a war and possibly kill other christians and non christians?

Wow, this is one of those questions that has a million and one different circumstances... there is no generic one size fits all answer.

When the Muslims were invading europe and threatening to destory Christianity, wasn't it a good thing that there were Christians who took up arms alongside non-christians to defend their lands and in turn our faith?

2007/3/6 16:48Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

Quote:
When the Muslims were invading europe and threatening to destory Christianity, wasn't it a good thing that there were Christians who took up arms alongside non-christians to defend their lands and in turn our faith?

No.

2Co 10:4 For the weapons of our warfare are not carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;

2007/3/6 16:53Profile

Re:

Ian... also, was it wrong for the Allies to fight against Nazi Germany? I challenge anyone to say that it was wrong. That we should have just let Hitler run amuck and done nothing.

Krispy

2007/3/6 16:53
PreachParsly

Arkansas

Re:

Here is a part of George Fox's journal.

The time of my commitment to the house of correction being very nearly ended, and there being many new soldiers raised, the commissioners would have made me captain over them; and the soldiers cried out that they would have none but me. So the keeper of the house of correction was commanded to bring me before the commissioners and soldiers in the market-place, where they offered me that preferment, as they called it, asking me if I would not take up arms for the Commonwealth against Charles Stuart. I told them I knew whence all wars arose, even from the lusts, according to James’ doctrine; and that I lived in the virtue of that life and power that took away the occasion of all wars.

Yet they courted me to accept of their offer, and thought I did but compliment them. But I told them I was come into the covenant of peace, which was before wars and strifes were.

They said they offered it in love and kindness to me because of my virtue; and such-like flattering words they used. But I told them, if that was their love and kindness, I trampled it under my feet. Then their rage got up, and they said, “Take him away, jailer, and put him into the prison amongst the rogues and felons.” So I was put into a lousy, stinking place, without any bed, amongst thirty felons, where I was kept almost half a year; yet at times they would let me walk to the garden, believing I would not go away.

2007/3/6 16:54Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Tours

Quote:
Many modern historians maintain that the Battle of Tours was one of the most important battles during the Umayyad conquests. As a devastating defeat for the Umayyads, it helped trigger their downfall, and this battle determined that Europe would be Christian, not Muslim.

2007/3/6 16:55Profile

Re:

People often quote the "wrestle not with..." verse as meaning that we should never fight physically... such as in a war. This is not what this verse is talking about at all. It is not a condemnation of all physical fighting (i.e. war). It is exhorting us to use spiritual discernment and realize that our true enemy is Satan. It is telling us to not lose sight of what is really going on. But it should not, nor do I believe it was meant to be, a condemnation of physical warfare.

Krispy

2007/3/6 16:57
vico

Re:

Quote:
Many modern historians maintain that the Battle of Tours was one of the most important battles during the Umayyad conquests. As a devastating defeat for the Umayyads, it helped trigger their downfall, and this battle determined that Europe would be Christian, not Muslim.

John 18:36 "Jesus answered, My kingdom is not of this world: if my kingdom were of this world, then would my servants fight..."

2007/3/6 16:58Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

How amazing is that sometimes even non-christians have found that the key of the victory is not force (carnal), here is what Napoleon Bonaparta said:

"Alexander, Caesar, Charlemagne, and myself founded empires; but what foundation did we rest the creations of our genius? [b]Upon force.[/b] Jesus Christ founded an empire [b]upon love;[/b] and at this hour millions of men would die for Him."

2007/3/6 17:01Profile
vico

Re:

Quote:
People often quote the "wrestle not with..." verse as meaning that we should never fight physically... such as in a war.

absolutely right! But...

what it does say that our warfare is not against flesh and blood. they are not our real enemies. His kingdom is not of this world.

We're just strangers and pilgrims passing through this land. Our vision (hopefully) is set on things above, and not on the things of this world.

If i'm seeing this wrong, or if you think I'm not making some things clear; teach me. I'm always open to the Truth.

2007/3/6 17:05Profile
iansmith

Wheaton, IL

Re:

Maybe it's because I was raised in a military family. Every generation of my family that has lived in the United States has answered the call when the need arose.

My Grandfathers both fought the Japanese in the pacific. One was storming beaches in the Philipines, the other was one of the first on the ground in Nagasaki after the surrender.

My Father flew Cobra helecopters in Vietnam, and continued to serve for twenty more years after the war.

I am the first male in my family to go to Asia without a rifle in his hands -I was carrying a sword, the Word of God.

I have chosen a different path than my forefathers, but will not take away anything from the service that they gave to their country. It would certainly be a wrong application to suppose that the bible condemns all men for serving in the military -there are countries in the world with forced conscription, like South Korea, Singapore, Switzerland etc... there are plenty of men who are in the military AND Christian.

2007/3/6 17:14Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy