SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : I am so sick of the easy-believism that is so prevailant in American Christianity!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 Next Page )
PosterThread
vico

Re:

brother, just a little exhortation; beware of what you say when talking about brother in the Lord. Life and death are in the power of the tongue, and the pen is mightier than the sword. encourage one another and build each other up.

personally, i've been very blessed by listening to sermons by Paul Washer! I would encourage you to listen to more of his sermons, maybe that way you can get a broader perspective on where he's coming from.

anybody have any suggestions on a few sermons he could listen to?

Love in Christ,
~vico

2007/3/5 9:01Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
anybody have any suggestions on a few sermons he could listen to?

Listen to Keith Daniels. Yesterday I listened to "America's Only Hope" and it was one of those sermons that gets stuck in your brain like a pesky pop corn kernel stuck in your teeth! Actually, I have not heard any of his sermons that were not worth your time.

ginnyrose

2007/3/5 9:21Profile
ChrisJD

Philadelphia PA

Re:

Thought this qoute from J.C.Philpot might be good for balance. He says

"But promises are not the only parts of the Word which the voice of Christ addresses to those that fear God. The threatenings and warnings contained in the Scriptures He speaks home to the soul as well as the promises. The shepherd drives his flock at times before him, as well as draws them at others by going before them. The wise parent chastises his child when needful; as well as fondles it. There is much presumption, pride, hypocrisy, deceit, delusion, formality, superstition, will-worship and self-righteousness to be purged out of the heart; and "as the blueness of a wound cleanses away evil, so do stripes the inward parts of the belly" Pr 20:30. I look upon the road to heaven as a narrow path that lies between two hedges, and that on the other side of each hedge is a bottomless ditch. One of these ditches is despair, and the other is presumption. The hedge that keeps the soul from falling into the pit of despair is that of the promises; and the hedge that keeps the soul from sinking into the abyss of presumption is that of warnings, precepts and threatenings. Without the spiritual application of the promises the soul would lie down in despair, and without the spiritual application of the precepts and warnings it would be swollen with arrogance, puffed up with pride, and ready to burst with presumption."

2007/3/5 9:24Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

Quote:
or listen to Britney Spears your not really a christian because your not very holy.

Sir, from what the news tells me about this female, I cannot in my imagination believe any godly person will be attracted to her performances, or music or whatever she does. From the news reports I have seen she is so ungodly...

Consider Romans 1:32: Who knowing the judgment of God, that they which commit such things are worthy of death, not only do the same, but have pleasure in them that do them." The things this reference is talking about is listed in v. 29-30: all unrighteousness, fornication, wickedness, covetousness, maliciousness; full of envy, murder, debate, deceit, malignity; whisperers, Backbiters, haters of God, despiteful, proud, boasters, inventors of evil things, disobedient to parents, Without understanding, covenant breakers, without natural affection, implacable, unmerciful.

I cannot imagine any godly person defending Britany Spears...Or even looking at photos of her very long without becoming contaminated!

ginnyrose

2007/3/5 9:36Profile
JaySaved

Missouri

Re:

J-Bird I think I know where you are coming from but I do not agree with you about Paul Washer. I echo what mom23beagles wrote earlier

Quote:
Wow, I didn't sense any judgment from Paul Washer in his message. His emphasis was more that the "once saved, always saved" doctrine is not biblical and you can't just go on your merry way and sin as you like and never repent just because you prayed the sinner's prayer. Maybe it's just me?

and Compton
Quote:
I don't think Paul Washer is questioning the simplicity of faith in Christ or trying to add man-made hurdles to make it hard to be a Christian. I think he is more concerned about how 'easy' it is these days to claim the Christian faith while not sharing in or imitating any of Jesus' nature.

2007/3/5 10:17Profile
JennRich

Alabama

Re:

If J-Bird were to meet Bro. Paul, I think he would be shocked to find such a humble man who can deliver such "offensive" sermons. He is very soft-spoken and has the countenance of one who is broken-hearted. He has such a passion for God's glory and is deeply grieved over America's brazen sinfulness.

My conviction is that America, [i]in general[/i], is so self-consumed, so opinionated, so ignorant of God and His holiness, that Bro. Paul was just scratching the surface in that sermon. Praise God for prophets who will bravely "hold a mirror up" before the people to show them what they really look like. And that is the most [i]loving[/i] thing a preacher could do -- exposing sin, and proclaiming the one divine remedy for it.

I would encourage people to listen to other sermons by Bro. Paul -- there are many that delve deeply into the richness of God's love for us, that could melt the heart of the most rebellious sinner.

2007/3/5 10:37Profile
roadsign

Re: Paul Washer

I certainly believe that there is a place for Paul W’s message! I share his burden over alarming prevalence of easy believism. He carries the burden of the Lord, for sure. Of course God will continue to shape him and refine him, and season him. I pray that Paul will keep his eye on the Lord, and not merely the troubles in the world. May the joy, hope, and goodness of the Christ remain rooted beneath his intense burden.

Here is a good point:

Quote:
The shepherd drives his flock at times before him, as well as draws them at others by going before them. The wise parent chastises his child when needful; as well as fondles it. There is much presumption, pride, hypocrisy, deceit, delusion, formality, superstition, will-worship and self-righteousness to be purged out of the heart; and "as the blueness of a wound cleanses away evil, so do stripes the inward parts of the belly" Pr 20:30.

So true, whatever it takes to purge the evil from our hearts is worth it! Yet we are all different, and no size fits all – even at all times. Also, what works for one may drive another away. You can’t push sheep. They move best by following. I admit, that I have never taken well to strong and forceful rebukes. It has the opposite effect on me that it may have on others. The Spirit can have me on the floor in brokenness and tears with the quietist of whispers or even an expression of his goodness. On the other hand, when I feel a threat to my psyche, I just bristle up and try to hide in a corner (figuratively). Strong, abrasive words moves me towards self-defence rather than openness and honesty. I see a lot of people like that – even ones that try to look tough and resilient.

I admit I felt overwhelmed when I listened to Paul’s opening words. It was like: “Red alert! Hang on folks! You are about to embark on the riskiest ride of your life. And you may hate it. And you may get angry. But your not going to escape.”

Now, having said that, I know that some people would not feel that way at all. Maybe many are so accustomed to strong speech that even this message may be like water off a duck’s back. Also, I admit that if I had heard this sermon 30 years ago I would have passed under the radar – and viewed myself as DEFINITELY not one of those bad sinners out there (or in the pew beside me) Self-righteousness is a strong repellent, indeed! It’s always safer to accept strong words of rebuke as a great and awesome message for SOMEBODY ELSE – or something the CHURCH needs to hear….. But what about me?

Really we are left at the mercy of God – for only he can save!! The Spirit is still the one who brings ultimate conviction – and uses all kinds of people and means. He knows exactly how to break us out of our blindness and resistance, and bring us into glorious conviction and freedom in Christ.

Let us praise God for people like Paul Washer. He said, “I speak as a dying man to dying people”. With that self-view, we can expect more and more that his listeners will be drawn to Christ. The proof is in the outcome:

Do the listeners say, “What a great preacher!” or do they say, “What a great Savior” ?

Diane

2007/3/5 10:42Profile

Re:

Paul Washer speaks nothing but biblical truth in this message. The road is much more narrow then the carnal man would like for it to be.

1 John 3
4Everyone who sins breaks the law; in fact, sin is lawlessness. 5But you know that he appeared so that he might take away our sins. And in him is no sin. 6No one who lives in him keeps on sinning. No one who continues to sin has either seen him or known him.

7Dear children, do not let anyone lead you astray. He who does what is right is righteous, just as he is righteous. 8He who does what is sinful is of the devil, because the devil has been sinning from the beginning. The reason the Son of God appeared was to destroy the devil's work. 9No one who is born of God will continue to sin, because God's seed remains in him; he cannot go on sinning, because he has been born of God. 10This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not a child of God; nor is anyone who does not love his brother.

In Christ - Jim

2007/3/5 11:29
Koheleth

NC

Re: Paul Washer

Quote:
Bro. Paul . . . [is] such a humble man . . . very soft-spoken and has the countenance of one who is broken-hearted. He has such a passion for God's glory and is deeply grieved over America's brazen sinfulness. . . . Bro. Paul was just scratching the surface in that sermon.

I wish to add that this is my discernment from afar and my own spiritual experience when listening to Paul Washer. I truly wish there were more like him.

2007/3/5 11:48Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

(Major Ian Thomas)
The Lord Jesus Christ did not shed His blood so that you could have a release from a guilt complex, so that you might escape the puny consequences of your sin.
The Lord Jesus died upon the cross not just to get you out of hell into heaven.
He died upon the cross to get God out of heaven into you.
And the measure in which you are saved is the measure which God out of heaven in you is in function:
Actually calling the shots;
Actually controlling what you do with your hands;
Actually controlling where you go with your feet;
Actually controlling what you say with your lips;
Actually controlling what you think with your mind;
Actually controlling the decisions that you make;
That is the measure in which you are saved.
So don’t kid yourself.
Just because 10 years or 15 years ago you walked down the aisle or raised your hand and [you’ve been paying your tithe?] you’ve been praying your tide and you’ve been through the tarp, don’t fancy that constitute your salvation.
There are hundreds of thousands of men and women who troop to church every Sunday who’ve gone through all of that and they are not even regenerate.
They are unsaved believers.
They are conforming to denominational patterns that have become a substitute for a personal spiritual relationship to Jesus Christ, and they know nothing, nothing really, of the life that is the birthright of the newborn.
And there are going to be some tragic surprises in the day the dust has settled.

here are some more sermons i belive everybody who says they are saved should listen to, they have been a great blessing for me ,

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=1507&commentView=itemComments]If You Agree - Paris Reidhead[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=3981&commentView=itemComments]Knowing Jesus - Major Ian Thomas[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=131&commentView=itemComments]What is it to accept Christ? part1 -A.W Tozer[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=132&commentView=itemComments]What is it to accept Christ? part2 -A.W Tozer[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=6704&commentView=itemComments]What is your life? Leonard Ravenhill[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=7347&commentView=itemComments]Suffer here or suffer there- Leonard Ravenhill[/url]

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/singlefile.php?lid=12124&commentView=itemComments]Chosen to be holy - Alan Redpath[/url]

2007/3/5 12:04Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy