SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : NASB

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re:

Quote:

tjservant wrote:
I would say that most serious study would come from a reference edition Bible. I wish the Thompson chain was available in NASB. I will get it in KJV.

Thomspson is available in the NASB.

2007/1/21 18:00
repentcanada

Re:

"NASB....that's the Greek word for nasty", Leonard Ravenhill.

2007/1/21 18:15Profile
euangelion

Snellville GA

Re:

Quote:
Quote:

tjservant wrote:
I would say that most serious study would come from a reference edition Bible. I wish the Thompson chain was available in NASB. I will get it in KJV.

Ormly's correct but I don't think it's the Updated edition. At least mine is not.

2007/1/21 18:25Profile
tjservant

Indiana USA

Re:

Quote:

That would be a powerful rebuke...had it come from the Apostle Paul. Coming from Ravenhill it makes me smile…I sure can hear him saying that.

I mean no disrespect to the late Mr. Ravenhill. Please do not read that into my comment.

TJ

2007/1/21 18:34Profile

Re:

Quote:

euangelion wrote:
Quote:
Quote:

tjservant wrote:

Ormly's correct but I don't think it's the Updated edition. At least mine is not.

I believe I stated that it was the older version they are offering free, wanting you to get it so they then get you to update to version 7, which is also great. i have used them both. 50 bucks, and worth it. I paid 37US for version 5. I love it. Can't be beat for any price.

Oops! I see you are refering to the hard copy NAS Bible. Sorry 'bout that. The CD, both versions, I speak of has both NASB and NASB-U. All the Thompson references use the NASB. You can search for a word and be amazed where it is located in the scriptures never imagining where they got the references. Even in harmony with other translations the verses will be pulled up as well though the word not be used within them; even verses with the implied idea, will be accessed.

Did I mention that is a whole library of books included?

2007/1/21 18:40

Re:

Go here!!

http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product?item_no=213090&netp_id=352813&event=HPT&item_code=WW

Here's another great deal with a CD that places the whole thing on your computer making it interactive to a plethora of helps and extras. A fantastic tool that will greatly aid anyone searching for Biblical understanding. Forget all the selfhelp/improvement books. These two programs are all you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Works-Oswald-Chambers/dp/157293039X/sr=8-1/qid=1169425477/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-2119371-0753605?ie=UTF8&s=books

2007/1/21 19:01
Jacob19

Re:

Quote:

That's so funny I was totally about to write that, until I saw you did! Someone should compile some of Ravenhill's Bible Translation jokes like :
" I use the living bible...The King James!"
or
" I am going to read a text from the NIV, wait a minute... thats the Never ImproVed, King James"

ha ha I love Ravenhill...

2007/1/21 19:54Profile
SeanHobson

Cleveland, OH

Re:

Quote:

:)

That "I use the living bible.....the king james" made me chuckle first time I heard it also.

2007/1/21 20:56Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: NASB

Quote:

i know there where a discussion about bible translations that got out of hand recently, thats not what i want i dont want argument, i just want some input on how it is, i own a KJV, i have some other versions on the computer, so i thought id go whit this one, as i understand this version is translated word by word?

what does that meen ? that they got rid of gramatical rules?

I personally use the NASB. I've used it for several years now, and have come to really cherish it. By in large, I have found it to be the best Bible to study from. And based on my knowledge of Greek, in the places I have compared it with, it seems to painstakingly try to be as "word-for-word" as possible. My pastor who has a much better handle of Greek than myself personally attests to the same thing.

What is meant by "word-for-word" translation is that the translators attempt to be as plain and as possible in their translation. In other words, they don't do a lot to "help" the reader out, by giving modern "dynamic equivalents" for various idiomatic phrases from antiquity.

Also in the NASB translation, they try to retain as much as possible the various Greek tenses in their translation to English. This is by no means a simple task, and isn't always possible. For this, the NASB translation loses a little fluidity in reading, and isn't as smooth and polished as other translations. Many would say it's not a very good "devotional" Bible as a result. But such is a rather vain sense of "devotion" in my opinion. For true devotion consists in worshiping God in spirit and truth. It is a manner of life, not of poetry.

2007/1/21 23:26Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

well its orderd now :) The Thompson chain reference Bible, im looking forward to it, but as A W Tozer said

While it is important that the translations be accurate and faithful, yet better versions do not make better men.

and he also said

Sometime he'll have to face up to the meaning of things, no matter in what version they are expressed. As I write I can see fifteen versions before me without turning my head and there are many more stashed about here and there. And they all say the same thing to me; namely, that I must trust Christ Jesus the Lord as my Saviour, love God with all my heart, soul and mind, and my neighbour as myself. They all say that I must be holy, humble, obedient, prayerful, pure, kindly, courageous and faithful. They all say that God is my Father and the Holy Spirit the inhabitant of my nature through the mystery of the new birth. And they all end with the cry for Christ's returning. I really don't need any more new versions, but I'll probably buy the next one that comes out.

so i pray this "new version" will by the Holy Spirit make me get to know God more, and bless my soul that thirst after him and his word

thank you all who helped me in this matter
God bless you no matter what version you read ;)

Christian

2007/1/22 5:07Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy