SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Paul Cain

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
PosterThread
Goldminer

Alabama

Re: Paul Cain

Dear by unseen_call,

You are totally correct that this digressed into a free for all. You were asking a legit question and didn't receive much help. Forgive us for that.

Even though Paul Cain lapsed into sin, as did Peter, he had many things worth hearing and reading available on his web site that our moderator posted after your first post.

God did many awesome things through the man and I for one pray He will again. I don't want to write anyone off because of failure because I would have to write off the entire body, including myself. God called David a man after His own heart even though he had a man killed and stole his wife. Also the testimony about his (Paul Cain's) mother's healing is glorious, also available on his site.

I think that this will be my last post on this thread because God doesn't call us to vain disputings. I just want to say that I too do not believe Rick Joyner or the people I know associated with them are false prophets. In fact Rick Joyner doesn't even call himself a prophet. Yes he has prophecied, but he does not claim the office of a prophet, anyone who has really checked into his ministry would know that. I believe he genuinely loves and tries to build up the body of Christ. I also believe he loves his Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Is he perfect, certainly not, but neither is anyone who made comments on this thread. One of the things Rick Joyner refuses to do is to criticize another ministry, he believes in building up rather than tearing down. However after over a decade of reading the MorningStar Journel and all his books I know he isn't soft on sin the devil or hell.

I also would like to say MorningStar Ministry is probably trying to instruct immature people in how to operate in the gifts of the Spirit so what happened to this family with the brain damaged relative doesn't happen. I have never heard them say go out an indiscriminately spit out whatever comes into your head. I thing they want people to wait on God and speak only what they hear Him speaking. To blame an over zealous person on Rick Joyner is not right, especially if you don't give him a chance to defend himself.

I want to stand on the side of love and mercy because that is what I want people to show me. I think MorningStar is doing a good work. Yes they bring in money with tapes, books,etc. But so do many other preachers that are listed on this site. Should we down them all for that. The only one I know who doesn't is George Warnock who won't sell his books but gives them away free as long as he finacially can.

I just want to leave this thread with a couple of scriptures and pray that we will love and have mercy on other brothers and sisters who are just like us, vessels that contain a great treasure. The vessels aren't much, the contents are awesome.

----------------------------------------------

For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also [is] Christ.

1Cr 12:13 For by one Spirit are we all baptized into one body, whether [we be] Jews or Gentiles, whether [we be] bond or free; and have been all made to drink into one Spirit.

1Cr 12:14 For the body is not one member, but many.

1Cr 12:15 If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

1Cr 12:16 And if the ear shall say, Because I am not the eye, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?

1Cr 12:17 If the whole body [were] an eye, where [were] the hearing? If the whole [were] hearing, where [were] the smelling?

1Cr 12:18 But now hath God set the members every one of them in the body, as it hath pleased him.

1Cr 12:19 And if they were all one member, where [were] the body?

1Cr 12:20 But now [are they] many members, yet but one body.

1Cr 12:21 And the eye cannot say unto the hand, I have no need of thee: nor again the head to the feet, I have no need of you.

1Cr 12:22 Nay, much more those members of the body, which seem to be more feeble, are necessary:

1Cr 12:23 And those [members] of the body, which we think to be less honourable, upon these we bestow more abundant honour; and our uncomely [parts] have more abundant comeliness.

1Cr 12:24 For our comely [parts] have no need: but God hath tempered the body together, having given more abundant honour to that [part] which lacked:

1Cr 12:25 That there should be no schism in the body; but [that] the members should have the same care one for another.

1Cr 12:26 And whether one member suffer, all the members suffer with it; or one member be honoured, all the members rejoice with it.

-----------------------------------------------

Rom 14:4 Who art thou that judgest another man's servant? to his own master he standeth or falleth. Yea, he shall be holden up: for God is able to make him stand.

-----------------------------------------------

2007/1/13 0:20Profile
chadster

Re:

I want to apologize for my post to this thread yesterday and ask forgiveness of my brothers and sisters and especially King Jimmy, against whom I brought a judgment. That was so wrong of me. God alone knows our hearts and He is the just and rightoeus judge. He calls us to unity and asks that we reflect His likeness and his attitude of grace and mercy. So I humbly apologize and ask for forgivness. I didn't need to come to anyone defense, for God will always vindicate His righteous servants, and worse yet, it was not my place to judge anyone. Oh wretched man that I am, who shall deliver me from this body of death? I am truly sorry and ask for everyone's forgiveness.

2007/1/13 15:14Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Ramifications

Quote:
... because someone with the gift of Prophesy told her that ...

Pulled from a few responses back, this is the very trouble and often a cry from my heart about the sheer ramifications of these things. That it is often they think there to be none or do not just think period, I do not know.

Would go out on a limb here and state that if anyone out there is about to be 'prophesised' over I would stop them before they even got started. This is just a travisty and abuse of the scriptures to be teaching this sort of thing in this fashion. One would think it strange that these things are almost always an appeal to the ego, to some great upcoming feat, to one's 'ministry', being 'greatly used' or twisted and contorted outright against scripture itself, as is the case mentioned earlier here. The opposite being rarely the case, I.E. Act 21:9 and following.

And to address these abberations is needed and right to do so, it need not be full of malice or other conjecture as KingJimmy well pointed out. Let a more Godly minister speak wisdom to us about this;

"Hence also it is that men do so magnify their own opinions, and are as censorious of any that differ from them in lesser things, as if it were all one to differ from them and from God. They expect that all should conform to their judgment, as if they were the rulers of the Church's faith; and while we cry down papal infallibility, [i]too[/i] many of us would be popes ourselves, and have all stand to our determination, as if we were infallible. It is true, we have more modesty than expressly to say so. We pretend that it is only the evidence of truth in our reasons, that we expect men should yield to, and our zeal is the truth and not for ourselves. But as that must needs be taken for truth which is ours, so our reasons must needs be taken for valid. And if they be but freely examined and be found fallacious, as we are exceedingly backward to see it ourselves because they are ours, so we are angry that it should be disclosed to others. We so espouse the cause of our errors, as if all that were spoken against them were spoken against our persons, and we were heinously injured to have our arguments thoroughly confuted, by which we injured the truth and the souls of men. The matter is come to this pass through our [b]pride[/b], that if an error or fallacious argument do fall under the patronage of a reverend name (which is nothing rare), we must either allow it the victory and give away the truth, or else become injurious to that name that doth patronize it. For though you meddle not with their persons, yet do they put themselves under all the strokes which you give their arguments; and feel them as sensibly as if you had spoken of themselves, because they think it will follow in the eyes of others, that weak arguing is a sign of a weak man. If, therefore, you consider it your duty to shame their errors and false reasonings by discovering their nakedness, they take it as if you shamed their persons. And so their names must be a garrison or fortress to their mistakes, and their reverence must defend all their sayings from attack.

So high indeed are our spirits, that when it becomes the duty of any one to reprove or contradict us, we are commonly impatient both of the matter and the manner. We love the man who will say as we say, and be of our opinion, and promote our reputation, though in other respects, he be less worthy of our esteem. But he is ungrateful to us who contradicteth us and differeth from us, and dealeth plainly with us as to our miscarriages and telleth us of our faults. Especially in the management of our public arguings, where the eye of the world is upon us, we can scarcely endure any contradiction or plain dealing. I know that railing language is to be abhorred, and that we should be as tender of each other's reputation, as our fidelity to the truth will permit But our [b]pride[/b] makes too many of us think all men condemn us, that do not admire us, yea, and admire all we say, and submit their judgments to our most palpable mistakes. We are so tender that a man can scarcely touch us but we are hurt. We are so high-minded that a man who is not versed in complimenting and skilled in flattery above the vulgar rate can scarcely tell how to handle us so observantly-and fit our expectations at every turnwhithout there being some word or some neglect which our high spirits will fasten on and take as injurious to our honor."

Richard Baxter

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=10733&forum=34]Jonathan Edwards - Undiscerned Spiritual Pride[/url]

2007/1/13 16:15Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

No problem chadster. Be blessed.

2007/1/13 23:59Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Quote:

In fact Rick Joyner doesn't even call himself a prophet. Yes he has prophecied, but he does not claim the office of a prophet, anyone who has really checked into his ministry would know that.

How does the old saying go? If it walks like a duck, talks like a duck, then it must be... a duck. This is a problem I have with many in the "prophetic" movement. They don't claim to be prophets, yet go all around the country prophesying. Not only that, but they write lots of books about their prophetic revelations, dreams, visions, oracles, etc. Yet, they don't claim to be a prophet.

This is called speaking out of both sides of one's mouth.

Not only is this bad logic, but it is also bad theology. I know, many teach there is a difference between somebody who simply has the "gift" of prophecy vs. that of somebody who has the "office" of prophet. But this is no where conceived of in Scripture. Throughout the Scriptures the individual who has the "gift" of prophecy is regarded as a prophet. Numerous examples abound, even for those who simply operated in the gift once in their life time.

For example, the seventy elders of Israel prophesied, "and did not do it again." When it was reported to Moses that this phenomenon occurred, he declared, "oh that all the Lord's people would be prophets!" Then there is Saul, who, when the Spirit of the Lord came upon him he prophesied, and it was said of Saul, "Is Saul among the prophets?" And yet again, in 1 Cor. 14 when giving guidance to the church in Corinth on the use of spiritual gifts in the church, Paul equates the person who has the gift of prophecy as being a prophet.

So, Joyner and company can attempt to spin this all they want. But like most of what is taught in the prophetic movement, it simply has no foundation in Scripture.

Quote:

I also would like to say MorningStar Ministry is probably trying to instruct immature people in how to operate in the gifts of the Spirit so what happened to this family with the brain damaged relative doesn't happen. I have never heard them say go out an indiscriminately spit out whatever comes into your head. I thing they want people to wait on God and speak only what they hear Him speaking. To blame an over zealous person on Rick Joyner is not right, especially if you don't give him a chance to defend himself.

Right, I know, such persons are labeled within the prophetic movement as simply being "immature" in their gifting, and that they need further instruction in how to more accurately hear from God and speak for Him. Few would ever label such activity as being sinful, and fewer would label such persons as being false prophets. Rather, they "just missed one." But, it's ok, these over zealous people meant well. They were just stepping out in faith! Their heart was in the right place after all! I'm sorry, one cannot falsely prophesy and have their heart in the right place. Nor should such activity be considered zeal.

And no, Rick Joyner is not false simply because somebody is going around and attributing their actions to him in some way. Joyner would be no more guilty than Jesus is for the Spanish Inquisition or crusades. And no, Rick Joyner is not teaching people to just go around and spit out whatever thought pops in their head.

But where Joyner and the rest of the prophetic movement enter into error is that they think they can actually teach somebody to prophesy, and that there is some learning curve to operating in such gifts. Thus, younger prophets won't be as accurate in their prophecies as older prophets like Bob Jones or Bill Hammon. You can no more teach a prophet to prophesy than you can a fish to swim. A fish swims because it has the ability to swim. A prophet prophesies because he has the God enabled gifting to prophesy.

That's not to say one cannot teach various prophetic principles by which a prophet should understand his call and operate in his gifting. Much like Samuel didn't realize he was hearing from God until Eli pointed it out to him that he was. But this is a far cry from what is taught in the prophetic movement today. Today it is taught that the young prophet might not know how to hear God quite as accurately. Thus, because he can't hear as accurately, his prophecies might be a little off. But as he "grows," he'll hear more accurately and thus prophesy more accurately. It's taught that because the principalities, powers, other demonic agencies, and our flesh gets in the way, and acts as a sort of cosmic static we have to learn to overcome, and only then can our prophetic gifting increase. Thus, at the Morning Star school of the Spirit I attended once, of the 6 or 7 folks they paraded on stage to take turns prophesying, these "prophets" (though they refused to label them such) got up there and gave the most idiotic utterances I've ever heard in my entire life, and were applauded for it! Thus, one woman got up there and said, "God said to me there is a woman here by the name of Mary...Marie...Maria... I'm not sure on the exact pronunciation... well, but God says..."

But such simply isn't Biblical. Never is the idea entertained in Scripture of a "prophet" growing in his prophetic gifting to become more and more accurate. Never is it taught in Scripture that we can come to hear God more accurate. Jesus said My sheep hear my voice. Either you have heard from God or you have not. And Moses promised that when God wanted to speak through a prophet, He would "put His word in their mouth." Thus, not only will they have fully understood what God has said, but they will have the fully enabled ability to speak what God has said through the gift of the Spirit.

So much more could be said. But, time doesn't afford me the chance to do so. I would encourage all of you who are interested in the prophetic, and believe God has gifted you with such, that the greatest thing you could do is to flee the error of men like Rick Joyner, Paul Cain, C. Peter Wagner, Bill Hammon, Cindy Jacobs, Bob Jones, Kim Clement, Steve Shultz, and the countless other false prophets who are robbing you and the rest of the body of Christ of what you could actually be in Christ. Failure to do so will cause you to enter into a never ending cycle of error, and cause much harm to not only yourself but those around you. Or, if I could be more plain: repent!

2007/1/14 0:46Profile

Ian

thank you for your heartfelt apology regarding Mister Cain.

As I might have said, I have no idea who he is, or really who Rick Joyner is, or what the whole "prophetic movement" is all about.

all that different stuff to me is just religion.

I like reading the Bible, and talking with and praying to Jesus, but thats just me. I'm accountable to God for me, as Paul Cain is accountable to God for himself and I pray that he be restored in the Eyes of the Lord. amen.

you know what, bro? and I'm not talking about you, there are too many pharisees on this forum, may God freeze their keyboards up.

I mean that.

neil

2007/1/14 1:50

King Jimmy

you wrote:

Quote:
Paul Cain going under "restoration" through Rick Joyner is like Richard Nixon receiving counseling from Bill Clinton

what kind of spirit is that statement?

as I said to Ian, I have no idea who Rick Joyner, or Paul Cain, or what the "prophetic movement" is, but I know this, as I pray for Ted Haggard to be restored, so I pray for Paul Cain, thats called grace, thats called love.

answer me this question....does a "humble servant of Christ", put the title "King" before his name and choose that as a moniker to post and rail about others?

Grace and love, try walking in it, or at the VERY least, resist the urge to hit the keyboard.

2007/1/14 2:05
CJaKfOrEsT

Melbourne, Australia

Re: King Jimmy

Quote:

bartle wrote:
answer me this question....does a "humble servant of Christ", put the title "King" before his name and choose that as a moniker to post and rail about others?

Firstly bartle, don't you realise that "Jimmy" is a modification of "James" (ie, "King Jimmy" = "King James")? Jimmy Humphreys isn't claiming to be royal, but is referring to a Bible translation in his handle.
Quote:

you wrote:

Quote:
Paul Cain going under "restoration" through Rick Joyner is like Richard Nixon receiving counseling from Bill Clinton

what kind of spirit is that statement?

as I said to Ian, [b]I have no idea who Rick Joyner, or Paul Cain, or what the "prophetic movement"[/b] is, but I know this, as I pray for Ted Haggard to be restored, so I pray for Paul Cain, thats called grace, thats called love.
(emphasis added - AI)

Wouldn't it be wiser to find out why Jimmy wrote this, than to criticise out of ignorance? If you have a problem with this, then why do you have an issue with the comparison being with "Nixon and Clinton"? After all, that could be complimentary, for all you know.

I am increasingly growing sick and tired of the Body of Christ masking complacency with a false notion of "grace and love". Grace is God's supernatural enabling that makes it possible to be saved, not some sentimental overlooking of wrong doing, because God thinks that we're more special than those He has to send to hell, for aligning themselves with the prince and principles of this world. And agape love requires absolute honesty, and therefore is conditional.

To say that warning people of potential sin, as displayed in "church leadership", is to say that both Christ and Paul sinned, when scripture leaves no such accusation. These people set themselves up as an example, and ask others to emulate them, as they emulate Christ, but then when they fall, which is almost always long before they confess any wrong doing, they expect everyone to be quiet and let them scurry off into the shadows. How much incalculable damage is done, when people emulate such a one, who is concealing his sin? We cannot choose what will and will not be copied.

2007/1/14 3:46Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Prophetic

Quote:
Firstly bartle, don't you realise that "Jimmy" is a modification of "James" (ie, "King Jimmy" = "King James")? Jimmy Humphreys isn't claiming to be royal, but is referring to a Bible translation in his handle.

My recollection is that this was a nickname given him quite sometime back ...
Quote:
Some insight behind the name:

At Bible college, especially last year, I had a great habit of paraphrasing the Bible in discussions. Once, I did it and received a funny look, and people wondered what version I was quoting. Since my name is Jimmy, I jokingly said "The King Jimmy Version." From that point on, one student started calling me "King Jimmy" on a regular basis, and making regular devotion and homage to me, e.g. bowing, allowing him to kiss my ring finger, etc. I still make a habit of paraphrasing the Bible... and why not, even people in the Bible did it... so :)

[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=2035&forum=13&start=10&viewmode=flat&order=1]PreachingToCannibals -> KingJimmy[/url]

Note the date of the post.

And I must agree with much of this sentiment. There is far too much in the way of ramifications of this whole prophetic business that I have seen and experienced as well. A post like Ian's precisely and yet just an example of where this can all lead. Whatever one's particular take on this 'gift' that it has turned into what it has ... It is just deeply grievous.

Quote:
as I said to Ian, [u]I have no idea[/u] who Rick Joyner, or Paul Cain, or what the "prophetic movement" is, but I know this, as I pray for Ted Haggard to be restored, so I pray for Paul Cain, thats called grace, thats called love.

The 'manner' and the 'matter' of dealing with these things the whole point of Baxter's admonishen brought up here for our consideration.

Think it also warrants putting this definition out here for others to consider, from Philologo's reply to a very important question;

Quote:
I don't completely understand the purpose of a New Testament prophet,

We have discussed this at some length at different times but perhaps it doesn't hurt to say one or two things again. I don't think any folk today are claiming to be scripture-writing prophets of the Isaiah or Jeremiah kind; at least I hope not. There is a simple definition of a prophet is in the story of Samuel[color=0000ff]“(Formerly in Israel, when a man went to inquire of God, he spoke thus: “Come, let us go to the seer”; for he who is now called a prophet was formerly called a seer.)” (1Sam 9:9 NKJV)[/color]He was someone who 'saw' things that other people didn't see. His 'vision' was a God's eye-view of things. Because of that it might be past, present or future and was not necessarily predictive. It's interesting that the Jews placed the book of Joshua among their prophetic scriptures. It is a God's eye-view of history, not necessarily predictive but the way God sees things.

I love this little example of a prophet [color=0000ff]“And it came to pass, when the children of Israel cried out to the LORD because of the Midianites, that the LORD sent a prophet to the children of Israel, who said to them, “Thus says the LORD God of Israel: ‘I brought you up from Egypt and brought you out of the house of bondage; and I delivered you out of the hand of the Egyptians and out of the hand of all who oppressed you, and drove them out before you and gave you their land. Also I said to you, “I am the LORD your God; do not fear the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell.” But you have not obeyed My voice.’ ””
(Judg 6:7-10 NKJV)[/color] This man has 'insight' from God and delivers it with conviction as 'thus says the LORD'. This man is claiming that God is speaking through him.

In the NT period there are references to itinerant prophets, the best known being Agabus: [color=0000ff]“And in these days prophets came from Jerusalem to Antioch. Then one of them, named Agabus, stood up and showed by the Spirit that there was going to be a great famine throughout all the world, which also happened in the days of Claudius Caesar.” (Acts 11:27-28 NKJV)

“Philip the evangelist, who was one of the seven, and stayed with him. Now this man had four virgin daughters who prophesied. And as we stayed many days, a certain prophet named Agabus came down from Judea. When he had come to us, he took Paul’s belt, bound his own hands and feet, and said, “Thus says the Holy Spirit, ‘So shall the Jews at Jerusalem bind the man who owns this belt, and deliver him into the hands of the Gentiles.’ ”” (Acts 21:8-11 NKJV)[/color]This is a useful reference in that it speaks of people who 'prophesy' and of one who is a 'prophet'. Not everyone who prophesied was a prophet, not everyone who preached the gospel was an evangelist. It seems that some became well known for their 'gift' to such an extent that the gift characterised the man and some became 'prophets'. As far as I know, no one in the NT received a prophetic commission of the kind we read about in Isaiah or Jeremiah. Their ministry proved them to be prophets not their claims. There is a sobering warning of folk who claim things that we find in the book of the Revelation;[color=0000ff]“...And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars;” (Rev 2:2 NKJV)[/color]Very frequently the word is found in the plural [color=0000ff]Acts 11:27 (KJVS) And in these days came prophets from Jerusalem unto Antioch.
Acts 13:1 (KJVS) Now there were in the church that was at Antioch certain [u]prophets [/u]and teachers; as Barnabas, and Simeon that was called Niger, and Lucius of Cyrene, and Manaen, which had been brought up with Herod the tetrarch, and Saul.
Acts 15:32 (KJVS) And Judas and Silas, being [u]prophets[/u] also themselves, exhorted the brethren with many words, and confirmed them.
1Cor. 12:28 (KJVS) And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily [u]prophets[/u], thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues.
1Cor. 14:29 (KJVS) Let the [u]prophets[/u] speak two or three, and let the others judge.
Eph. 4:11 (KJVS) And he gave some, apostles; and some, [u]prophets[/u]; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers; [/color]... and it is interesting that when functioning in the local church Paul insists that their utterances should be assessed by their peers; 1Cor 14:29 It seems to me that we never find prophets working in independence or isolation; there is collective accountability.

It is important to distinguish between the occasional prophetic utterance in which [color=0000ff]“...you can all prophesy one by one, that all may learn and all may be encouraged.” (1Cor 14:31 NKJV)[/color] and the settled authority of a man identified as 'a prophet'.

Those referred to as 'prophets' in the NT are not wearing badges, they are identified as prophets because of their life and ministry. Words like 'apostle' and 'prophet' (and pastor!) were never used as titles or badges in the NT; they are simply descriptions of what they do. The modern phenomena of self-styled prophets is something quite different from the NT history. Such men usually claim to be 'prophets' to enhance their status and reception by others, rather than being called 'prophets' by others who have recognized a unique gifting in God.

As regards 'purpose'... they brought divine 'insight' into the gatherings of the saints.

From;
[url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/newbb/viewtopic.php?topic_id=14096&forum=35]Prophets Playing with Fire...[/url]

2007/1/14 7:52Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re: King Jimmy

Quote:

as I said to Ian, I have no idea who Rick Joyner, or Paul Cain, or what the "prophetic movement" is, but I know this, as I pray for Ted Haggard to be restored, so I pray for Paul Cain, thats called grace, thats called love.

I pray for those in the prophetic movement, as it is something that has touched my life and the life of those around me in a mostly negative way. I got caught up into it for a while, and am convinced that most of the leaders in it are false. My point was simply that Paul Cain going under a process of restoration through Rick Joyner is like Richard Nixon going under restoration through Bill Clinton. It's a hyperbolic statement to simply show the absurdity of it. For a false prophet will not "restore" a false prophet. Or as Jesus said, it's the blind leading the blind, where both will fall into the pit.

Quote:

I was given the name "King Jimmy" in Bible College. My real name is Jimmy, and when I was in Bible college we would sometimes be discussing something in class. Then, because my knowledge of the word wasn't very strong, when I would quote a verse I would tend to paraphrase it. Eventually one day somebody asked me back in class "What translation are you quoting?" To which I responded, "The King Jimmy Version." Over the next two years at school many of the students called me "King Jimmy." So, my handle has nothing to do with me thinking of myself as some monarchical figure.

Quote:

Grace and love, try walking in it, or at the VERY least, resist the urge to hit the keyboard.

You shouldn't be so proud.

2007/1/14 7:57Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy