SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : SermonIndex Announcements : EVENT: A Call to Fast (3 day fast)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 Next Page )
PosterThread
Maria

USA

Interesting

I read somewhere today:

A blind man once said, "I do not believe in 'the power of prayer.' I believe there is power in the Presence of God, therefore I pray."

Interesting!

2004/3/2 16:29Profile
Maria

USA

Something the Lord laid on my heart during this fast.

(Something the Lord put on my heart during this fast.)

The Rocks Will Cry Out

"The apostles had avoided all appeal to the senses, trusting in the power of the Word alone. The Church, she said, resorted to pictures only when her power had gone." - Elisabeth Elliot, "A Chance to Die, The Life and Legacy of Amy Carmichael."

Many who have seen Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of the Christ” declare that their lives have been forever changed. I’m sure this is true in many respects. It isn’t very often that we are visually exposed to the sufferings of our Lord Jesus Christ. I am supportive of the movie even though I have not yet seen it. I believe that God is Sovereign and that He commissioned Mel Gibson to make this film. I also believe that it will indeed impact many lives, but as always, when God comes on the scene not everyone is changed for the better.

I believe only those who “hear what the Spirit is saying to the Churches” will be divinely affected by this film. The Scripture says we have a choice: we will either be, broken and changed by His appearing, or we will be hardened and eventually crushed.

But Jesus looked at them and said, "What then is this that is written: ‘THE STONE WHICH THE BUILDERS REJECTED, THIS BECAME THE CHIEF CORNER stone'? Everyone who falls on that stone will be broken to pieces; but on whomever it falls, it will scatter him like dust." Luke 20:17-18

I’ve heard it said, “The Church today has almost lost her voice.” I would take it a step further. The professing church of Jesus Christ has already lost her voice. It is evident through the making of this film. Because we have refused to hear Him, because we have refused to preach the cross, because we are in love with the gods of this world, He had to send a picture to bring us back to our knees. Not only a picture, but a movie made by a “movie star.” (Not bashing Mel Gibson as I deeply admire what the Lord is doing in His life.)

Movies are incredibly powerful. They are captivating and all of them are eventually life changing. Unfortunately, most of them are not clean. They are not at all “true,” “honorable,” “right,” “pure,” “lovely,” “of good repute,” “excellent” or “worthy of praise” (see Philippians 4:8) and those who belong to Christ have no business entertaining themselves with the filth of secular society. Nevertheless, God has chosen to speak to His people through their idol. He says, “You won’t proclaim my suffering’s to the world? I will. You won’t talk about the cross, I’ll find someone who will.”

And that’s what He has done.

The message of the cross is more than forgiveness; it is sanctification. “For, on the one hand, there is a setting aside of a former commandment because of its weakness and uselessness (for the Law made nothing perfect), and on the other hand there is a bringing in of a better hope {Jesus}, through which we draw near to God.” (Hebrews 7:18-19 NASB) That is, the Law made nothing complete. Jesus Christ is our Redemption, Justification, and our Righteousness. He completes us. He died so that we might know Him and be reconciled to His Father. Because the church has given up her purity and forsaken the way of the cross there is a lack of good teaching. People don’t know the Gospel. Sure, they may know that Jesus died on the cross for their sins, but they don’t know the full story. God says, “My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge.” (Hosea 4:6 NASB)

It is a shame that the professing church has failed to present an accurate picture of Jesus Christ to a rapidly decaying generation. It is a shame that many sit in pews week after week and never have an encounter or revelation of the cross of Christ. It is a shame that professing Christians are numb, even stunned, when they walk out of the theater. Should a Believer be moved? Absolutely. Should a Believer be shaken? Maybe. The fact is that Believers should have already been shaken by the Living and enduring Word of God. They shouldn’t have to see a film to “wake up,” they should already be awake. For Believers the film should only solidify the sufferings of Christ and remind us that we, also, are to humbly take up our cross.

My intention is not to downplay this film. As stated earlier, I believe this film has God’s fingerprints all over it. I am merely pointing out it is shameful that it is taking a movie to shake and awaken many in the church. Furthermore, I am convinced that many who were “shaken” will not be changed. Many who have seen this movie simply have had another emotional experience; they won’t be changed because they don’t even realize they need to change! They say, “Oh, I am so blown away that Jesus would suffer for me that I could be forgiven and go to heaven!” That’s only part of the story! Mel Gibson beautifully portrays the rest of it by having Jesus say: “Behold, I make all things new.”

If we understand the Gospel our reaction will be this: “Jesus took up His cross in order that I might know God. Father, give me the Grace to take up my cross:

And He was saying to them all, “If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow Me.” (Luke 9:23)

“Live crucified to the world:

But may it never be that I would boast, except in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ, through which the world has been crucified to me, and I to the world. (Galatians 6:14)

“And forsake its lusts:

Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body so that you obey its lusts, and do not go on presenting the members of your body to sin as instruments of unrighteousness; but present yourselves to God as those alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. For sin shall not be master over you, for you are not under law but under grace. (Romans 8:12-14 NASB)

“May I come out from among them and be separate so that the world might know of Your forgiveness and Your power to free them from sin.”

I believe this movie is a cry to all nations to repent. God says, "Here I am. This is what I did. It's time to believe." I also believe this movie is a testimony against a stubborn, backslidden, church. A church whose lips speak His Name, yet whose actions deny His power. (See 2 Timothy 3:1-5)

God is calling His Church back to the cross. Will we heed His Voice?

May we receive His message and begin to walk as Jesus did.

The one who says he abides in Him ought himself to walk in the same manner as He walked. (1 John 2:6 NASB)

Hidden in Him,

"Maria"

www.stephaniestaples.com

2004/3/2 16:33Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Re: Something the Lord laid on my heart during this fast.

Quote:
Also, we need to pray that the Lord gives us (America) more time!!

I had a strong burden for this very thing in prayer this morning.

Judgment is at the door for a nation that has killed millions of innocent babies, a nation that now laregely denies the One who has blessed it so bountifully, and a church that is fat and lazy.

I believe this judgment may be forstalled but not avoided. But thank God, His judgments are always redemptive! He is preparing a people now to be His light in the darkness, to the Jew and the Gentile.

In Christ,

Ron

2004/3/2 17:08Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Judgment is at the door for a nation that has killed millions of innocent babies, a nation that now laregely denies the One who has blessed it so bountifully, and a church that is fat and lazy.

What a comment brother. I am feeling this burden quite heavy at times, but as Leonard Ravenhill once said: "no burden is too heavy, no trial to hard for the one that died for us."

I am feeling that this fast is becoming a very personal time of reflection for me. The Lord is dealing with specific things in my heart such as: "Fear" and "Obedience". I listened to the sermon [url=https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/visit.php?lid=3824]Is God Calling You To Be A Deliverer[/url] by Teresa Conlon, last night! It was a tremoundous blessing for me as faith rose up in my heart to believe God can use me as an Ezra to this generation. I will not fear the Kings commands but will arise in the power of the Lord to share the truth with His church and with the world. As I prayed along with the message I really felt the Lord do a work in me. I am very highly anticipating the rest of the fast and the time with the Lord tonight. Speak Lord for your servant is listening.

2004/3/2 18:06Profile
moreofHim

Re:

My prayer for everyone during this fast - is for guidance and direction.

I think we all know the signs of the times and the state of the church. Let us listen to the One who orders the stars and all things. He already knows how these things are going to be played out. What part are we going to play in it? Only He knows and we must seek Him out for His will for each of us.

We all know what's wrong with everything- let us ask Him to fill us like an empty vessel- to be used by Him in whatever way He sees fit.

I am praying to get rid of pre-conceived ideas. I want His will to be done and I don't want my own ideas, my own agenda, my own pre-conceived thoughts on things to limit what He wants to do - and in what way He wants to do it.

I pray that our focus is on Him and Him alone. Fill us with MORE OF YOU so we will be less of ourselves. WE only get in the way.

Drench us in humility, Lord!
It's all about You and not us!

In His perfect love, Chanin

2004/3/2 18:28Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
My prayer for everyone during this fast - is for guidance and direction.

Yes. I am really also praying for these 2 things in my heart. I am not sure if I should go to Bible School, continue full-time working on the SermonIndex Ministry full-time, go into the Secular Work Force, or a mixture of all the above. I have had some clear signs from the Lord but I really want it to be definetly the Lord's will. I am still young (24) and really want to honour God with my choices in my youth for it can sculpt much of my future in this world (fading like a flower). As Leonard Ravenhill once said, "A better question than this text, What is your Life?"

As for prayer requests for other people during this fast:

I am praying for a friend (Paul) who doesn't know God and seems not that intrested in Him, but I will have many opportunities to speak to him during the next week or two, so I am believing God for convict of sins and a need of God. Lord use me as a broken vessel, through my faults and errors even let your light of your glory shine through.

My Parents (Jim and Joan) and my half-brother (Tim). Me and my sister (who is participating in the fast) are praying for my immediate family with a burden for their salvation and for them to come to a knoweldge of the truth that is in Jesus. We are praying for alot of specific things we believe the Lord has laid on our heart for each of our parents and really desire for our entire household to come into freedom and to be able to glorify the Lord.

2004/3/2 18:58Profile
djones6153

Re:

I am continuing in this fast. Our nation needs a touch from God. God's people need to humble themselves and cry out to God for healing. This has been my prayer throughout the day.

In Christ,
Dave Jones

2004/3/2 20:03Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
[b]Revival.[/b] A true outpouring of Your Spirit on your creatures. We seem to be accomplishing little. In our own flesh, nothing. Lord, how can we go forth if You be not with us? It is futile. Fill us Holy Spirit with Yourself and with Your desire. Rend the Heavens and come down, interupt the masses who have been blinded and draw them to Yourself.

But where will they go when You do this?
We have failed You, Your Church, by relying on our own reasoning and not on You. Forgive us this sin Lord. Oh God restore Your church!
We turn and seek You.

Mike, I echo a loud AMEN to your comments on Revival and they are greatly appreciated. I am hoping this time the Lord will show favour on the land, city, families of those involved in this fast. Yes in our own efforts and flesh it will avail nothing unless we are rooted deeply in the purposes of God and it being His power that is actually acomplishing the task.

On the whole idea about us being esther's speaking out boldly in the name of the Lord and on behalf of his people. Thats a great thing but my heart is grieved to hear and see all the people who are claiming to already do this with a multiplicity of devotion and doctrine in their lifes. They are confirming the deep things of God but then in the next breath are entertaining foolishness. A house divided cannot stand, salt water and fresh water cannot come out of one spring. Raise people from this fast Lord that will be wholly devoted to your and your purposes, let our prayer be: If not me Lord, who? If not now, When? If not here, Where? [b]Send Revival.[/b]

2004/3/2 21:51Profile
Paulus

Celbridge Kildare Ireland

Re: Fast

Just checking in from Ireland.

I listened to Yarib:deliverer of the people by Pastor Neil. Hallelujah for Christ Victories.

I have been praying over the past year about a church plant and the Lord has shown me today that it was a fear of failure that was holding me back altough I had covered it by saying I was being "careful and prayerful". Also I read in Esther last night " if you wont someone else will"
what an awful prospect if I stand before Jesus and He asks what have I done with my "talent".

The Lord has also shown me that the fear of failure was also a fear of being exposed, because in my flesh I was seeking my own glory and not His.

Anyway must go and do some secular work, have cancelled all my business meetings so I can stay at my desk and work and pray.

Just felt led that we should really pray for your next President, that he will be truly the one that God has chosen.

Paul

2004/3/3 5:06Profile
v1ct0r1a

New Jersey, USA

Re: march 2 service at TSC

Hello,
It has been a blessing and encouragement to read all the posts in this thread. I am from Time Square Church and I would just like to share what happened in last night's service.

Due to an almost hour-long traffic, my dad and I got to church right as service was about to beginning. My brother, Mark, already reserved seats for us and my mom and my youngest brother, Herrard, in the main sanctuary. The service began with Pastor Carter Conlon calling out for people to come forward. Because we were a bit late, I was unable to hear the altar call. Then there was a time of worship. The Lord's presence was just so apparent. Then Pastor Carter came up again to pray for those who came forward. And we worshipped some more.

There was no clear format to the service but our pastors did as they were led by the Spirit. After worship, we had communion. THen Pastor Carter called on Pastor Gary Wilkerson, our founding pastor's son, to bring us to the Word. Pastor Gary stepped out to pray while we sang a worship song.

Pastor Gary prayed before he began to share the word. In his sermon, he first addressed something the Lord impressed on him - that there were people, guests, who came to church that evening because of seeing the movie, "The Passion of the Christ". He related that a pastor friend of his told him that there was a record number of people who went to churches this past Sunday, maybe as much as those who came after 9/11, and the reason being that they watched this film. Pastor Gary wanted to clarify something to these people who came because of the film. He told them that what they saw in the film was like Act 2 of a 3-act play and that it was important that they know of the 1st and the 3rd Acts.

The 1st Act goes all the way back to Creation, when God made us(humans) because He so desired to fellowship with us. But then sin entered the world and because of it we could not be in right relationship with God. So came Act 2, where Jesus, the Son of God, became human to die to pay the price for our sins. Pastor Gary related how the film shows us a glimpse of the end of Act 2. But the story does not end with our Savior dying. In Act 3, we know that He rose again and is alive and seated at the right hand of the Father. And because of His victory over death on the cross, we can have the victory over sin and anything that we may encounter and struggle with.

Pastor Gary related how he truly accepted Christ in his life when he was 19. He shared how even if he grew up in a Christian home and his father and grandfather were pastors, he was confused and was not right with God. At one point in his life, he was considering believing the Baha'i teachings, whose doctrine states that all roads lead to God - Jesus, Buddha, Allah, and Confucius. He even told this to Pastor David and he was sure that his father prayed so hard that God would open his eyes. And He did. The Lord gave him a choice, it's either Jesus alone on the mountain(of his heart) or he can have Buddha, Allah and Confucius on the mountain. There was only one choice. "I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, no one comes to the Father except through Me." Jesus is the only way. And it was made real to Pastor Gary. After sharing this, he made an altar call asking anyone who wanted to have Jesus in his life and have Jesus reveal himself to him. He led people in a prayer for salvation. Pastor Gary shared that his own prayer, when he was 19, was simpler. It was just "Jesus help me".

Then, Pastor Neil Rhodes spoke and asked people who accepted the Lord for the first time to raise their hands. Praise God, there were 3 people, among the many who came forward, who raised their hands. THey were asked to go to an exit, on the leftside of the stage, so that an elder could give them a bible and explain more to them about what they had just prayed. Normally, this taking people aside does not happen but Pastors Neil and Carter were moved to do so last night.

After this, elders and Sister Teresa Conlon came up to lead the congregation in prayer. We were all just encouraged to pray out loud about people and situations the Lord was putting in our hearts to pray for. We prayed for people's salvations and that we be used in the lives of those around us at work, in the community and in the home. Some of the things prayed for on the pulpit were: students(middle schoolers, high school and college students) and women who have influence on children or young people(for them to cast out the fear, and to go beyond legalism and to speak words of life to them). We were also asked to pray in groups of 3 or 4 to pray for one another and specific needs. During this time, my family came together to pray. I was so blessed that all five of us were there. My mom had just come from work in UNICEF, my brothers from school(Herrard from NYU and Mark from Rutgers in Newark,NJ), and my dad from work, who dropped by to pick me up from the house. We called out by name each of our relatives as well as friends(both here in the US and in the Philippines) who needed to know Jesus as their personal savior. We all took turns to pray and when it was my turn the Lord really impressed on me that He wants to use us but that if we want to be we need to be set apart and be right with Him. Because with defilements in our hearts, there will be no authority. We all were just moved to give thanks to the Lord, that all 5 of us were saved and that He has been just so gracious to us.

I have never really fasted before so this liquid fast is a first for me. On the way to church, I felt sick. I text messaged brother Mark to ask him to pray for me because I was not feeling well. And I prayed as well and the Lord was just so good. After praying, I really felt better. I prayed that the Lord sustain me and help me fulfill my commitment to fast these 3 days. And going to church last night was indeed well worth the effort. I am going to church tonight and tomorrow. And if I am able to, I will share again tomorrow how things went tonight.

The Lord will surely reveal His heart to us as we seek Him. I pray that He will deal with each one us and show us the areas of hearts that He wants deal with. And I pray for His grace and strength to respond to what He is calling us to do.

God bless you all. Have a great day! :)

Victoria

2004/3/3 10:55Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy