SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Halloween!! The worst time of the year !!

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 Next Page )
PosterThread
Joshh

Re:

My cousin and her family go to a church that celebrates Reformation Day instead of Halloween.

2008/9/13 1:20Profile
Miccah

Wisconsin

Re:

Rivqah wrote:

Quote:

I'm just wondering if their is anyone here who has the problem of halloween in thier church other than mine? Our youth pastor dresses up as frankenstien and his wife dresses like Bat Woman and their not the only ones. It's really sick....

Respectfully, what does this tell you about the leadership that allows this to take place under their authority?

2008/9/13 10:38Profile
ginnyrose

Mississippi

Re:

When I was a child - am now 61 YO - children did 'trick or treating', dressing up in whatever they had on hand - no purchased costumes except for masks back then - that I recall. However, as time went on, people became more knowledgeable about what all Halloween represented and with lots of teaching on the matter it soon became 'verboten' in the sense that is something one did NOT do.

Rivquah, you all have a problem....how ignorant is the leadership on this issue?

Blessings to you, sister!
ginnyrose

2008/9/13 11:03Profile
NewCovWinDor

A Little Town In Iowa

Re: Halloween!! The worst time of the year !!

Brethren,

Originally, the 31st of October was celebrated by the Gallic Druids as the Festival of Samhain, the Celtic "lord of the dead" (as stated in a previous posting.)

The common belief was that it was a night the dead could walk abroad and haunt mortals. So, people would dress in disguises whenever they needed to go out on that the evening to prevent molestation by spirits. Another common practice was to leave offerings of food and drink on the doorstep for the Druid priests (some say the offerings were for the dead, but I can't quite remember whether that was the case or not.)

Then, as time went on, the church instituted November 1st as the "All-Hallows" or "All-Saints" holiday. Its intent was to celebrate/worship all the saints throughout the ages.

Consequently, the previous evening (October 31st) became known as the "evening of all-hallows." The common people naturally associated this with their pagan practices from days gone by, and carried on many of the traditions. It continued on, then, in a similar evil fashion to its predecessor, just in a little nicer clothes. This holiday's name was eventually shortened to "All-Hallows Eve," or "Hallowe'en." Sound familiar?

Currently, many covens and other occultic groups recognize the 31st of October as Satan's high unholy day... from what I've heard. It entails sacrifice and other rituals, but no one can seem to agree on exactly what happens. As far as human sacrifice, I'm sure it may go on, but we have to be careful of fanciful stuff that gets spread around on the internet. Caution, brethren, caution.

Please, correct me if I'm wrong in any points here. Don't want to pass on bad information due to my faulty memory!

Also, with regards to St. Paddy that was mentioned above, I would recommend a reading of David Bercot's book, Let Me Die In Ireland, an excellent, unbiased biographical work on Patrick, the great Briton evangelist. Though the established church corrupted his story, we let's not throw the baby out with the bathwater...

2008/9/13 11:29Profile
Nellie

Re:

Rivqua
Your Pastor is allowing this.
Since you said it was the Youth Pastor and his wife.
There is a Pastor over him.
It is called bringing the World into the Church.
Father, help us all.
God Bless
Nellie

2008/9/13 15:14Profile

Re:

Quote:

Nellay wrote:

Rivqah,

Your Pastor is allowing this.
Since you said it was the Youth Pastor and his wife.
There is a Pastor over him.
It is called bringing the World into the Church.
Father, help us all.
God Bless
Nellie

I realize that but it's good to be reminded.

2008/9/13 16:42

Re:

Quote:

Miccah wrote:

Rivqah wrote:
Quote:

I'm just wondering if their is anyone here who has the problem of halloween in thier church other than mine? Our youth pastor dresses up as frankenstien and his wife dresses like Bat Woman and their not the only ones. It's really sick....

Respectfully, what does this tell you about the leadership that allows this to take place under their authority?

Oh, sorry I missed your post brother, Miccah. That's what I would like to know. I guess only God knows the heart but how one deals with these issues is another story. I think a youth leader dressing like frankenstien is a bit pushing it and your right it's the leadership who voted him in even after my husband wrote them a letter.

Nelli and ginnyrose,

Speaking of screwing up the spelling on peoples names I really picked this Hebrew spelling of the name "Rebecca" because it was the only one available on SI, it turns out it was the right one.:-) I didn't know that was how you spelled Rebecca.

I would like to read up more on this but I guess that's another thread. There is actually a youtube video called "Rivqah". Ha, Ha....

2008/9/13 21:09
deltadom

Hemel Hempstead

Re:

Sorry to bring this time up again, but it is a time when are young children celebrate a festival that celebrates witchcraft.

Galatians 5
19 Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20 Idolatry,<b> witchcraft,</b> hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21 Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before , as I have also told you in time past , that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, 23 Meekness, temperance: against such there is no law

We need prayer as it also my pastors birthday! What we need is as many kids. With the Harry Potter phase which has made our society open to any satanic influence which it seems our society loves evil things!

Is it for us christians to stand up for what we believe in and have alternate halloween parties or anything so that people will not celebrate the devil.

I think in canterbury , knives were sold in the magic shop and these could be used for nothing else but death, Widgi Boards and occult stuff is rampant. Someone I think heard a report of ouija boards in Toys R US (http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2266493)

History of Halloween
http://www.jeremiahproject.com/culture/halloween.html

We need prayer this night !

2010/10/30 7:17Profile
twayneb

Joplin, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
I have always used it to give out tracks or tried to !! As so many kids are on the street!!! but I hate the festival if you understand anything about its history!! It took me along time to persuade even some christians not to dress up for halloween. Some kids use wegi boards. The devil is prowling around 365 days a year!! but on this day of the year it is open and in the street and in your face. I want to glorify the Lords name on this day. This day does need alot of prayer as kids get into alot of witchcraft!! God help us Dom

I am sure Paul and those traveling with him hated the rampant worship of Diana of the Ephesians. I am sure they did not at all like the festival. Yet there they were in the middle of it all being bold for Christ. I don't celebrate halloween and we taught our children the truth about it, but buy some candy and keep the lights on. Hand out some small new testaments or tracts. Don't hand out something called, "The evils of the terrible holiday called halloween". No one will read it. Hand out something that leads them to a saving knowledge of Christ. Talk to them. Be a witness for Christ. Remember that He that is in you is greater than he that is in the world.

I am reminded of an incident in the life of Smith Wigglesworth. He was awakened in the night and saw at the foot of his bed something that he could only describe as satan or a demon. He was a man filled with the Holy Spirit. He took one look, said, "Oh, it is only you.", closed his eyes and went to sleep.

2010/10/30 8:55Profile
Joyful_Heart

Re:

I hate Halloween also and for the reasons the Holy Spirit has shown most of us. I know some Churches have a harvest party but still dress up.

Thankful for the Church I am in as we are having a harvest meal after morning worship and the youth has invited the apt. complex. We are making soups, casseroles and homemade breads. We have prayed for the day. God be glorified in hearts.

I pray that Christians who are ignorant of this day that the Holy Spirit will truly open their eyes and hearts and they will see the truth of it and no longer find it enjoyable. And I pray that the Lord will protect the innocent. In Jesus Precious and Powerful Name. Amen Lets make it a day of prayer Saints.

2010/10/30 10:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy