SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : David Wilkerson

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Runoff

David Wilkerson

I found this article of David Wilkerson and I just wanted to run it by you guys because I have no idea really about it. Any thoughts?

---

http://www.geocities.com/asterisktom/wilkerson

I have a hard time writing about David Wilkerson for two reasons:

1. He is a mixed bag. Some of his sermons and writings have a lot of good points.
2. His book, "The Vision" is the one that I had just finished reading when I first turned to Christianity. This was in 1975, in my bedroom in the village of Langenselbold, West Germany. So, for the longest time it was hard for me to be impartial. Yet when assessing teachings and teachers of our faith, we need to hold them to the same Biblical standard (Acts 17:11).

This article will look at David Wilkerson's prophecies and teachings. After we have seen examples, we can make conclusions based on our open-Bible policy.

PROPHECIES

1. NO MORE GOSPEL ON TV BY 1999?

He preached this in the Solomon Church in December of 1994:

"Right now I sense in my spirit that in less than 5 years there will be no more so-called gospel television networks. They will all fall into bankruptcy and absolute ruin."
2. 1000 FIRES IN NEW YORK CITY DUE TO RACE RIOTS IN 1993?

From a prophecy of September 7, 1992:

"I have had recurring visions of over 1,000 fires burning at one time here in New York city. I am convinced race riots will soon explode! New York City is right now a powder keg-ready to blow!...federal and State Welfare cutbacks will be the spark that ignites the fuse. Next year, New York City could have over 100,000 angry men on the streets, enraged because they have been cut off from benefits....Federal troops will have to move in to restore order. New York City will have tanks running down its avenues....Churches will be closed for a season because it will be too dangerous to travel about. Fires will rage everywhere."
Although Wilkerson set the expiration date of this prophecy himself - " Next year" (i.e. 1993), he now says that this is yet future. This is a common tactic of "prophets" who move the goal-posts, hoping that others will forget by then.

3. FINANCIAL CRASH IN 2000?

On April 15 of that year, Wilkerson prophesied this:

"For the last two years I have been crying aloud, warning all who would hear that America is receiving her last call and that judgment is at the door. I did not say this was the end of the nation, but the last call before a financial crash."
"I am writing this letter to you on Saturday, April 15, 2000. I have on my desk the headlines in yesterday's paper: "BLACK FRIDAY - BIGGEST ONE-DAY DROP IN HISTORY." The Dow fell 618 points - the Nasdaq fell 355. I do not know what is coming in the next sixty days. If the market bounces back, I can assure you it will be temporary. THE CRASH IS INEVITABLE - NOTHING CAN STOP IT."

To his credit, he admitted his mistake after the non-event, after the market instead of crashing, reached a record high on May 22 of that year:

"In prayer, I have told the Lord I am ready at any time to confess I am wrong - that I must have spoken from my own fears or that I have spoken unadvisedly. Recently, when the market reached record highs, I wondered if those calling me a false prophet were right."
He admits that he was motivated by fears when he gave this warning. I am not advocating that we kick a man when he is down, or that none of us are human. It is good that he admitted his mistake. But let me ask you this: When times get rougher than they are now, do you want to consult a prophet/teacher who is motivated by fears the next time he says "Thus says the Lord". I don't. We need to tear our eyes and hearts away from all authority figures and look to the Bible. If we listen to teachers and preachers, it must be the same way that the Bereans listened to Paul and Silas - with open Bibles and a determination to use them intelligently. In my mind, Wilkerson has already lost credibility by his mis-prophesying.

TEACHINGS

1. TWO PENTECOSTS

"God's last-day church ...will be even greater than that [the first-century church,] ... mightier, stronger, and even GREATER revelation of Jesus. A greater unction from the Spirit than ever, GREATER EVEN THAN PENTECOST....As I see it, the gospel of Jesus Christ has not been fully preached in this generation!"
(God's Vision for the Last Day Church 5-23-94)
There are plenty of verses that tell us that this just isn't so. In the last days we will face ever greater apostasy and confusion. To expect a mighty revival is to set yourself up for major deception. Read Luke 18:18.

2. SUFFERING GOSPEL

This is a hard aspect to write about because a lot of this is subjective. You may read this and say - "So what?" In fact I weeded out a lot here that I could not substantiate to my satisfaction. At any rate, this is where Hannah Hurnard comes in. Dave Wilkerson is the sponsor and founder of Mount Zion School of Ministry, a school that makes free use of Hurnard's work in the chapel. Her work is spoken of as "inspired by the Holy Spirit". Personally, I see a lot of her "suffering is the way to heaven" teaching influencing Dave Wilkerson. In his book "Hungry for more of Jesus", he says that personal suffering and cleansing is the way "we win His eternal Love" and "win His heart." But this is not Scriptural. We can never win God's heart. We love Him only because He first loved us (1st John 4:10, 19). There was nothing in any of us that could have made God choose any of us over anyone else. It is true that Peter says that if we suffer according to the will of God we glorify Him (See 1st Peter 4 as well as 2:18- 25). But this does not win His love for us. It is only our reasonable service. It is an outworking of what God has worked in us. It is nothing less than Christ being formed in us, our sanctification.

I have read from a number of sources where the emphasis at this school is on mysticism, on "breaking the inner self" and a "long process of introspection" to make them ready for union with Christ.

This has been a kind of incomplete appraisal of Dave Wilkerson. Hopefully it is enough to give us a good view of the man. I don't put him in the same class as Hannah Hurnard, or as some of the others I plan to write about. But I believe that he has greatly deviated from where he started out. I felt he was worth writing about for this reason.

2006/9/29 11:45Profile

Re: David Wilkerson

I would start by asking if you have taken these "specific" concerns to David w. himself or his ministry? If you are going to wqrite something like this I would hope that you or someone close to you addressed these points with him. I would like to think he would give you honest answers to these point's. One of the things he always says is he is not a prophet but a watchman. That may or may not give him an out but it is something to keep in mind.

The points brought up are of course very concerning in one sense. But again I await your reply.
God bless, John

2006/9/29 12:11
Runoff

Re:

well a friend sent this to me and truthfully I wasn't really sure. I'm sure a lot of people here know a lot more about David Wilkerson and have heard him speak more than I do, so I just wanted to post it up to see I guess what others thought. I don't really have a stance, but I'm more just networking and posting it up to people who know more about David Wilkerson. Thanks

2006/9/29 12:40Profile
MikeH

Re: David Wilkerson

Quote:
3. FINANCIAL CRASH IN 2000?

On this point alone, he wasn't far wrong. It is hard to get the precise details as it is now nearly 7 years ago, but most of the finanical pages on the classic search engines will show enough. The Nasdaq nearly reached 6000 in early 2000. It then plunged to 1100 or so in the next two years. The Dow lost relatively less but still a lot, and the NeuMarkt in Germany dropped from from around 9000 to 900. It was so embarrassing they closed the index. If you had any financial dealings in the US in those years you would have seen a lot who lost a lot of money; in some cases billions. It was the bursting of the Internet bubble.

2006/9/29 12:47Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

My best friend goes to Mt. Zion School of ministry. This school is right on target, NO mysticism, he has been changed drastically.

2006/9/29 12:50Profile
boomatt

fredericksburg, Virginia

Re:

I would read these great articles about him.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Wilkerson

http://www.acadc.citymax.com/page/page/2495014.htm

2006/9/29 13:01Profile
Runoff

Re:

great articles boomatt! The drug study was really amazing. and at the end of the wikipedia article:

Quote:
Wilkerson has faced increasing criticism from many sources, many of whom voice concern that the threats of upcoming disasters have led many of Wilkerson's followers to take preemptive action that they later regretted.

the article I posted is probably one of those hm?

2006/9/29 13:15Profile
BeYeDoers

Bloomington, IN

Re:

David Wilkerson has been quite influential in my life. I ran across this article last year and it concerned me. I didn't want to be following a false teacher, so I did a google search on him. The only negative things I could find were this article and bits and pieces of this article. I have come to the conclusion that the writer of this article has a personal vandetta against him. Many of the quotes are taken out of context and false assumptions are made about things he said resulting in poorly drawn conclusions. At one point, the author of the article takes quotes from Wilkerson's "Hungry for More of Jesus" And concludes that he is teaching some sort of Eastern Mysticism. Well, I own the book and can assure you there is not even a semblance of such. I don't see how anyone who read more than a few [i]words[/i] of the book could say such a thing.

I certainly wish anyone with more information on this topic please share.

2006/9/29 14:05Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
On this point alone, he wasn't far wrong. It is hard to get the precise details as it is now nearly 7 years ago, but most of the finanical pages on the classic search engines will show enough. The Nasdaq nearly reached 6000 in early 2000. It then plunged to 1100 or so in the next two years. The Dow lost relatively less but still a lot, and the NeuMarkt in Germany dropped from from around 9000 to 900. It was so embarrassing they closed the index. If you had any financial dealings in the US in those years you would have seen a lot who lost a lot of money; in some cases billions. It was the bursting of the Internet bubble.

I think this brother is rigth on with this statement, right now america is one of the poorest nations in the world per person, yes you heard me right. The average american is so far in debt something like $20-40,000. America is living on borrowed time, its mostly a facade.

As for the wilkerson post, I would resound the posts after saying look into it yourself, talk to the ministry. I know from personal experience that much of what wilkerson has prophiesed has come true and these random prophieses people pull out to discredit his ministry are not worth focusing on.

I have been reading much of the gospels of late and it is amazing to see how the people that could not heed to the voice of the prophet (Jesus) could not either imagine how his prophecies could be true.

I recommend for everyone if they haven't yet listen to this recording of wilkerson:

A Call to Anguish by David Wilkerson

2006/9/29 16:52Profile
tinluke

New England USA

Re:

Not sure if this is gossip... but my brother-in-law goes to Mt Zion. I heard from my mother-in-law that the man who wrote this article had a son that went to Mt Zion and was asked to leave the school. Sounds to me like this man just had a bone to pick.

2006/9/29 18:48Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy