SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : They Were All Virgins

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
PosterThread
roadsign

They Were All Virgins

“…ten virgins... took their lamps
and went out to meet the bridegroom.” Matt. 25:1

The parable of the ten virgins is about two groups of people who are nearly identical:

They were all virgins. They had never surrendered their bodies to a man. They had never defiled their souls by compromising with the world, or selling themselves to the faulty religious systems of the day. They reserved themselves for one Man – their Husband. None of them had forgotten who they were, to whom they rightfully belonged. They were all waiting for him to come and get them, trusting that they were ready for him. And so they set out on the journey of life, to meet him, completely expecting him to come and get them at any moment. They were all virgins.

But the ten virgins comprised two distinct groups - with one big difference between them: One group had oil and the other did not.

There are also two main groups of people within the household of God. On the surface, they may be quite imperceptible; but in the end it makes an eternal difference. One group has the Holy Spirit and the other does not. In the end, those who enter heaven are the ones with the Spirit, that is, the Spirit of Christ who is our Life – birthed within his people.

Many professing Christians go through life living vicariously off of the faith of others. They enjoy the benefits of the Spirit, the showers of blessings. They feel very much a part of the family of God – united with those who actually do have the Spirit. These people feel very secure in their illusion. They can talk the talk, act the act. They can tell you what’s wrong with the JW’s, PDL’s, WOF’s, RC’s, and the XYZ’s. They keep away from all that, and stay close to where the Oil is flowing. But they do not have their own Oil.

On the final day all the blessings - that is, the light and warmth from of the Oil won’t do them any good. On that Final Day, they will no longer be able to look to the church, or anyone else and beg: “Give us some of your oil, our lamps are going out.”

Here are some personal questions for each of us to ask ourselves:

Am I a a wise virgin - and have the Oil?
How can I tell?

Am I deceived - a foolish virgin - dependent on someone else’s Oil rather than my own?
How do I tell?

What light does Scripture reveal to all of us regarding this subject?

Diane

2006/9/28 9:12Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Re: They Were All Virgins

Concerning your questions after your article, to know if we are wise or unwise.

1 Cor 3v16 Do you not know that you are the temple of God and that the Spirit of God dwells in you?

We should know. If not, then verse 18 tells us, 'Let no one deceive himself. If anyone among
you seems to be wise in this age, let him become a fool that he may become wise.'

This speaks in terms of worldly wisdom. However,
if we can be deceived by worldly wisdom, how much more by church attendance, reading the word, praying. Didn't the Pharisees do those things? Yet, they were living in hypocrisy. Don't be deceived. That is the opening admonition in this text.

Hebrews 5v14 tells us 'But solid food belongs to those who are of age, that is, those who by reason of use have their senses exercised to discern both good and evil.

Discernment is needed to guard against going cold in the things of God. Don't leave your first love.

God bless.

2006/9/28 9:38Profile

Quote:
"But the ten virgins comprised two distinct groups - with one big difference between them: One group had oil and the other did not."

I am persuaded that you are starting from a wrong understanding consequently you will draw a wrong conclusion. Try this out for a beginning senario:

They all [10] had white robes signifying salvation. They all [10] had oil, signifying the Holy Spirit. Now what does Paul say [to the born again]except,"Do not quench the Spirit" 1 Thes. 5:19 (NASB-U)

See where your thinking takes you with that view on things.

;-)

2006/9/28 9:41
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
Am I a a wise virgin - and have the Oil? How can I tell?

I think a lamp speaks of the testimony of Jesus. For me to testify of someone, I must have first hand knowledge of them, hearsay will not do. To me this speaks of a living, vital relationship with Christ through the Spirit. How can I tell? I think Romans 8:14-16 is a good way to test. Those verses show that the sons of God walk in an upward path, an outward expression, and an inward peace.

Also, the foolish virgins lamps have gone out, indicating they were once lit. I think these are those who started in the spirit and tried to finish in the flesh. The testimony was there at one time.
And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for our lamps are gone out.
(Mat 25:8)

In Christ,

Ron

2006/9/28 9:49Profile
enid

Nottingham, England

Romans 8v9 tells us 'But you are not in the flesh but in the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God dwells in you. Now if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ he is not His.'

Either you have the Holy Spirit or you don't.

As it says in Galatians 3v3 'Are you so foolish? Having begun in the Spirit, are you now being made perfect by the flesh?'

These virgin were called foolish. They had not taken care of their salvation.

We can start off right and finish wrong.

Let's be wise. God bless.

2006/9/28 10:02Profile
OverSeer

Geneva, Alabama

Re:

ormly wrote:

Quote:
I am persuaded that you are starting from a wrong understanding consequently you will draw a wrong conclusion.

Just as you have done dear brother. The Bible clearly says that the five foolish "took [b]no oil[/b] with them" (Matthew 25:3).

And from your wrong understanding you conclude:
Quote:
They all [10] had white robes signifying salvation. They all [10] had oil, signifying the Holy Spirit.

Not so according to the Bible. They did not all have oil and when the five foolish "trimmed their lamps" their lamps went out = they had form without fuel! These five do not represent "loss of salvation" but they represent false Christians who hold to a form of godliness but have denied its power.

We should never change what God's word says to make it fit our doctrine - we should change our doctrine to make it fit God's word.

The Text: Parable of Ten Virgins
How they are alike:
1. All had been invited to the banquet – they were all anticipating a banquet when the bridegroom came. These people had heard the gospel invitation
2. All had responded positively to the wedding invitation. This is demonstrated by the fact that they are waiting for the bridegroom’s appearance
3. All were part of what we would call the visible church. They had joined the fellowship of those who were waiting for the Lord.
4. All believed in the return of the Lord.
5. All got drowsy and fell asleep while the bridegroom was delaying.
6. All trimmed their lamps – they all thought that they were light bearers.

How they are different:
1. Five were foolish and five were wise
2. The foolish took no oil for their lamps; the prudent took oil in flasks along with their lamps.
3. The five prudent went in with the bridegroom to the wedding; the five foolish were locked out of his presence.

This is a picture of those who have a form of godliness but deny its power. They have form (lamps) but no fuel (oil).
This is a picture of those who profess faith but do not possess faith. They are powerless professors of the faith.
This is a picture of those who did not do what the Bible tells us to do – “Test yourselves to see if you are in the faith; examine yourselves” (2 Corinthians 13:5) and “Therefore, brethren, be all the more diligent to make certain about His calling and choosing you” (2 Peter 1:10).
This is a picture of those who responded to a false gospel of philosophical humanism and wanted to be saved from hell but had no interest in being saved from sin. Again they did not do what the Bible tells us to do – “Contend earnestly for the faith which was once for all handed down to the saints. For certain persons have crept in unnoticed…ungodly persons who turn the grace of our God into licentiousness” (Jude 3-4).
This is a picture of those still in the dark although they appear to be in the light.

What are you basing the certainty of your salvation on?

Grace and peace
Olan

2006/9/28 11:03Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

We have to be careful not to try too hard to map every part of a parable to a truth. Allegories are like that but not parables. These 'virgins' were simply 'young women' and thoughts of 'separation' to their one man does not come into this parable.

The bridegroom in question will only have one bride, ever.

2006/9/28 11:59Profile

Re:

Quote:

OverSeer wrote:
ormly wrote:
Quote:
I am persuaded that you are starting from a wrong understanding consequently you will draw a wrong conclusion.

Just as you have done dear brother. The Bible clearly says that the five foolish "took [b]no oil[/b] with them" (Matthew 25:3).

But they did have oil in their lamps, correct?

What does that tell you? Oil repesents the Holy Spirit.... How is it they had some?

;-)

Quote:

Not so according to the Bible. They did not all have oil and when the five foolish "trimmed their lamps" their lamps went out = they had form without fuel! These five do not represent "loss of salvation" but they represent false Christians who hold to a form of godliness but have denied its power.

We should never change what God's word says to make it fit our doctrine - we should change our doctrine to make it fit God's word.

I'm sure you have much scripture to support your "fitted" doctrine?

:-o

2006/9/28 12:42
OverSeer

Geneva, Alabama

Re:

Quote:
But they did have oil in their lamps, correct?

According to you - but not according to the Lord Jesus! The oil wasn't taken in the lamps - it was taken in flasks and the foolish didn't take [b]any[/b]!
Quote:
I'm sure you have much scripture to support your "fitted" doctrine?

Yep! That's how God "fitted" it for me - SCRIPTURE - "[b]All[/b] scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for [b]doctrine[/b], for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness" (2 Timothy 3:16).

Grace and peace
Olan

2006/9/28 13:00Profile

Re:

They didn't take extra oil, my friend, extra. That is inferred if not stated.

"Then [b]ALL those virgins arose, and [u]trimmed their lamps[/u][/b]. And the foolish said unto the wise, Give us of your oil; for [b]our lamps are gone out."[/b] Matthew 25:7-8 (KJV)

I accept your apology in advance.

:-o

2006/9/28 13:32

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy