SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Translations of the Bible

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Translations of the Bible

Members,

I am not looking to get a controversy going, I just wanted to make an observation.

I use an NIV translation and I am thinking about getting a KJV translation. (Krispy would be so proud, LOL).

I was reading the purpose driven thread and how Rick Warren used so many translations and paraphrases to get the quotes that fit his purposes.(Ha Ha). But it really surprised me to see how different the newer translations were in their interpretation of the scriptures.

That's all for now!

Murray

2006/9/14 13:43Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re: Translations of the Bible

I know that there were 2 strains of manuscripts, the older and more complete were done at "antoich" which are commonly called the Textus Receptus. The KJV version was translated from that manuscript strain. ALL other modern day translations have been taken from the other strain of manuscripts called the "Alexandrian". I think it is worthy for the church to decide on which "strain" is the best and stick to it, I have decided that the manuscipt from "antioch" is best and therefore my choice of using the KJV version. I use NIV to get alternative readings in a more contemprary langauge so that is useful but the KJV is my main platform that I teach, read and do devotions from.

2006/9/14 13:47Profile
murdog

Fort Frances, Ontario

Re:

Greg,

That is so cool, right after I posted my translations of the bible statement. You posted Spurgeon's article about altering the Word of God. God is so amazing!

Murray

2006/9/14 13:50Profile
IRONMAN

IN HEAVENLY PLACES WITH JESUS

Re:

bro Murray
i read the good news, i also use the NIV and have been learning to use the KJV. our Lord has ministered to me through them all and i've found that although some things are lost in translation, Holy Spirit communicates exactly what the Father intends irrespective of what version i use. on s.i. i do use the KJV when i have to quote scripture since most people use that version and it has Krispy's seal of approval! :-P

2006/9/14 14:27Profile
Dougmore

Hi Murray,

I also read the NIV but found verses missing. I didn't want anything to with a "Bible" that was missing verses. So I switched to the NASB, "Not Always Scriptural Bible", Ha! And left it to. I didn't like the KJV so I went to the NKJV. After all this the Lord spoke to me and I accepted the KJV and haven't looked back. I find that I have a more sure faith in what it says. The problem... Now I have memory verses from NLT, NIV, ESV, NKJV, and KJV. I get them confused sometimes with other translations and the end result is frustrating. I stick with the KJV now.

I also had one of those guys that writes Chick tracts call me a rebel for using a modern translation. That was funny!

bro Doug

2006/9/14 17:37Profile
PaulBenson

Kalispell Montana USA

I have a book I offer for free to all who request it. It is titled 'Is the Bible you read: The True Sayings of God?' In it I show almost 500 places the bibles founded upon the alexandrian manuscripts delete or alter the Word.
If interested send your request to:
True Witness Press
P.O. Box 5519
Kalispell, MT. 59903
or e-mail [email protected]
P.S. I also have a booklet showing the error of a pre-trib rapture. Lord Bless :-)

2006/9/14 21:05Profile

Re:

Dougmore, thats funny I went through nearly the same process, 1st english bible,then nkjv then niv then nasb then nkjv and now resting in KJV.To all I have said this before I am KJV "PREFERED" not KJV ONLY. Big difference in my book.

2006/9/15 1:59

Re:

Oh boy... this just made my day. I got up this morning with a lot of personal things rolling around in my head. Nothing bad, just a lot going on with football and everything. So as is my custom, I checked in to SI to see if there was anything being discussed... and I found this thread. And as I read thru the posts, y'all made me chuckle right out loud! So thanx for the humor! ;-)

Just call me "Good Housekeeping" (seal of approval!)

I dont have anything to add at this point, but I do give glory to God that He has used me to bring this issue to the forefront, and that people here have actually given consideration to the things I have brought up concerning the KJV and the modern versions. The more I dig into the Word of God (using the KJV) the more the rich treasures come alive in my soul. Captain Jack Sparrow has nothing on the Bible when it comes to buried treasure!

Let's keep in mind that there are two types of KJV-Only.

1.) KJV is THE Word of God, and is perfect in everyway, and there need be no other translation. It is so perfect that it actually corrects errors in the Greek & Hebrew. Anyone who rejects the KJV as God's perfectly preserved Word of God is not saved.

2.) The Textus Receptus is the preserved Word of God, and the KJV is the most excellent translation in English that we have. Since Engish is an ever evolving language, a retranslation of some passages today would be beneficial for clearer understanding so long as the retranslation was based solely on the Textus Receptus. It also recognized that people can be saved using a modern version, and that those who hold to modern versions are our brothers.

I fall into catagory #2. I think catagory #1 is wrong, especially when it comes to how they view other believers who do not stand on the KJV. I believe with all my heart that modern versions are grossly corrupted, and as long as I draw breath I will work to show and convince others of the same... but as I have demonstrated on this forum since the day I arrived here, I do not break fellowship with those who disagree with me.

Krispy

2006/9/15 7:30
lovegrace

Re:

I suggest the NASB. It correctly translates words in ways that the KJV fails. (Likewise the other way) but in my studies NASB has shown itself as a better translation than KJV. So I recommend the NASB. (New American Standard Bible)

2006/9/18 0:30Profile
Kedric

Re:

As a student of New Testament Greek I have to also make sure that it is mentioned that the Alexandrian texts are found to be much older than the Byzantine text (Textus Receptus).

The Alexandrian text are from the 4th Century A.D. These text were the text believed to be read by the earliest church fathers. When studying these texts compared with the other found text families (Byzantine, Western, Caesarian) it can be seen how the other texts evolved from the Alexandrian.

The verses in the KJV that people say were "deleted" or "cut out" were not in the newer translations because they were not in the Alexandrian text. Nor are they found in the other text. So it is believed that these verses came from monk scholars who wrote notes next to the text. Then when the next generation was copying the text they couldn't distingush between some of the notes and the text and included these notes in the new manuscript. They were added in. However I am not denying that it couldn't have been the work of the Holy Spirit.

I just thought it would be a good idea to cover the tradition of the manuscripts. I didn't like the idea of just mentioning that "newer translations use the Alexandrian text" and "newer translations exclude some verses" without explaining why.

I personally use the NIV. NIV is used almost everywhere in America. When I am preaching and I use a verse, I want the church to be able to follow along in the pew Bibles.

Kedric

2006/9/18 6:00Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy