SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Compilations are ILLEGAL?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread

Re: Ron Bailey

My British brother, here's the link to the audio Bible I use:

http://www.audiotreasure.com/webindex.htm

May God bless you RICHLY today is my prayer, bartle

ps...its David Williams that reads it....my elevator doesn't go to the top floor all the time,

2006/8/24 13:49
Saddened

Re: Compilations are ILLEGAL? What does the law say?

There is a lot of speculation about copyright laws, but no real evidence. It seems like it is easier for someone to "ask for forgiveness" if we ignorantly infringe on someone's copyright, then it is to ask for permission, because that takes a lot of work.

According to the US Copyright Office (http://www.copyright.gov/):
"Do I have to register with your office to be protected?
"No. In general, registration is voluntary. Copyright exists from the moment the work is created. You will have to register, however, if you wish to bring a lawsuit for infringement of a U.S. work."

and

"What does copyright protect?
"Copyright, a form of intellectual property law, protects original works of authorship including literary, dramatic, musical, and artistic works, such as poetry, novels, movies, songs, computer software, and architecture. Copyright does not protect facts, ideas, systems, or methods of operation, although it may protect the way these things are expressed."

Therefore sermons and music would hold copyrights, whether registered or not. It seems to me that whenever we manipulate sermons into compilations, add background music without permission even for the "edification of the body" we are breaking US Copyright Law. God has called us to obey the laws of the government in his word. It does not matter how good the intent is, the law of God supercedes good intent.

Even as I write this I stand guilty, so after I post this I need to go delete a clipped version of one of the sermons I downloaded and go home and throw away the compilation sermon. Beware lest we harden our hearts against the conviction of the Holy Spirit and rationalize our sins.

Brothers and sisters let us confront our sins that we might walk in holiness, and thank God that conviction through His word.

Let us be men and women of integrity.

2006/8/24 15:39Profile
Andrew_Strom

Re: Compilations are ILLEGAL?

My name is Andrew Strom, and just to add to this discussion from a "preacher's" perspective - I LOVE compilations. I think they are a great invention.

My preaching has been used in a number of compilations on the Internet - and I do not mind at all - in fact I think anything new that gets the message out is a good thing. I don't mind at all that my preaching is "chopped up" - and I have never yet found one that is objectionable. I am sure almost all preachers would feel the same way. So go for it, people!

Regarding the "music" situation - yes this is a little dicey using 'comercial' music. But I have studied "Fair Use" a little - and probably the comps are OK if they are free on the Internet. But it is better to find some 'Copyright-free' loops or music if possible.

All in all, I encourage everyone to make MORE comps - not less!! If you want some fiery sermons to "chop up" and use, then feel free to come to-
http://www.revivalschool.com -and use our MP3 sermons there - or whatever you like.

God bless you all.

Andrew Strom.

2006/8/24 16:25Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
Even as I write this I stand guilty, so after I post this I need to go delete a clipped version of one of the sermons I downloaded and go home and throw away the compilation sermon. Beware lest we harden our hearts against the conviction of the Holy Spirit and rationalize our sins.

I don't think that the clipping of sermons is in question in this thread but rather the music behind them. For most of the speakers I have full permission to use them freely. Some speakers such as: Keith Daniel and David Legge do not want their voices clipped into compliations and that is being respected and adhered to.

Quote:
Regarding the "music" situation - yes this is a little dicey using 'comercial' music. But I have studied "Fair Use" a little - and probably the comps are OK if they are free on the Internet. But it is better to find some 'Copyright-free' loops or music if possible.

I agree Andrew. Great to see you on the site discussion board, feel free to post comments more if you feel led. I am not sure if you are aware Andrew, that there is a great compilation with some clips of your sermons in them:
So Great A Salvation - Part 1 (compilation)
So Great A Salvation - Part 2 (compilation)

Andrew Strom's sermons can be found here on SI:
https://www.sermonindex.net/modules/mydownloads/viewcat.php?cid=520

2006/8/24 16:53Profile
Compton

Re:

Hello Andrew,

After hearing and reading some of your sermons, it's great to see you here 'in person'!

MC

2006/8/24 17:04Profile
MisterCheez

Colorado

Re:

Quote:
I don't think that the clipping of sermons is in question in this thread but rather the music behind them.

As the originator of this thread, 'yes' the clipping of the sermons and the music is in question.

Again, don't get me wrong, I'm not out to destroy compilations. I love compilations and have been moved by many of them.

My concern was, and is, that we need to be more careful when assembling compilations. Excellent content doesn't negate breaking copyright law.

I propose that those doing compilations create a centralized web page which lists pastors and musicians who have no problem with their material being used. These should be backed up with some type of proof of correspondence.

We all know a few clips from Keith Daniel set to epic music could drive just about anyone to the floor, but he does not wish for his material to be used in such a way. Is it then righteous to assume all speakers' and musicians' material is fair game unless they find out and have a dispute?

This discussion is not pleasant but are we heading toward revival and the promised land with little idols tucked into our pockets?

Compilations can be powerful and effective and I'm not suggesting forsaking them. I'm suggesting greater accountability, and maybe even guidelines (to prevent completely misrepresenting a speaker)so we aren't guilty of breaking the law and/or hurting people.

2006/8/24 17:27Profile
hmmhmm

Sweden

Re:

well can agree whit many things...and i have now asked in e-mails permisssion to use the background music to the copyright owners and companys....in my compilation... and since all the speakers in them have passed on to eternity i feel it would be ok to use their voices.
and if it would turn out for my comp it wouldent be ok to use the music i will not, and just in case im working on a "musicfree" version....but if anyone know of some copyrightfree music webpage or something similar it would be great...

gods peace to you
christian

2006/8/24 17:34Profile
Andrew_Strom

Re:

As I said, as a preacher whose sermons are used
sometimes in compilations - I really think we need to encourage the concept more. Because the devil is out there using every form of media for evil day and night. In a very real sense we are "competing" for the hearts and minds of this generation.

Yes, by all means use "copyright-free" music if possible. However, apart from 2 specific preachers who are named in this thread, I believe that all preachers living and dead should be assumed to *WANT* the word that they have brought to go out in any and all ways possible. I certainly wish to see anointed preaching go further and further - and personally I am fine with 'clips' being taken to do that. I believe we need to assume the same of all preachers - unless we are told otherwise.

Else this is going to put a "damper" on something new and exciting that God wants to do to reach this generation. There is nothing worse than losing a 'weapon' for good - when we need every weapon we can get. Please do not go "overboard" and kill the whole 'comp' concept by making it too hard to make them easily. I believe that is playing right into the devil's hands.

-Andrew Strom.

2006/8/24 19:01Profile

Re: Compilations are ILLEGAL?

Hello brothers and sisters, I have been wanting to set up an account for a while, so here I am with my first post. I began creating comps a few months ago and did quite a bit of investigation into the legal issues addressed here. I also handle the copyrights and patents for my department at work, though I am far from an expert.

All that to say section 107 of the US copyright act was specifically created and designed to allow clips of copyrighted material to be used in new works without infringing on the original work it was clipped from. This of course would not cover a whole song used as background music, but would cover the sermon clips (which belong to the Lord anyway).

If a song is availbale for free download on the internet and has no copyright restriction notice I have used it as background music, though I will rethink this based on comments made in this thread.

Quote:

Under section 107, the fair use of a copyrighted work is not copyright infringement, even if such use technically violates section 106. While fair use explicitly applies to use of copyrighted work for criticism, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, or research purposes, the defense is not limited to these areas. The Act gives four factors to be considered to determine whether a particular use is a fair use:

the purpose and character of the use (commercial or educational, transformative or reproductive);
the nature of the copyrighted work (fictional or factual, the degree of creativity);
the amount and substantiality of the portion of the original work used; and
the effect of the use upon the market (or potential market) for the original work.[4]
The Act was later amended to extend the fair use defense to unpublished works.

needless to say, absolutely no way are all comps illegal, and we should all research fair use before we make blanket statements. Of course the Holy Spirit convicting your conscience trumps all...

In Christ - Jim

2006/8/24 21:25

Re:

I want to know what others think about this idea and Lord willing I shall create music for it. Other musicians and I can create some instrumental music and perhaps Sermonindex can make a folder of free created music that brothers and sisters have made for the use of compilations. This way comp makers can download non-copyrighted homemade-instrumental music and it can be used in comps.

I suggest their be a condition though. Whatever comps created must not include preachers such as...(a list of preachers who have requested that their sermons be not used in comps) and it must edify the saints. see Php. 4:8

What thinkest thou?
-Abraham

2006/8/25 4:24

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy