SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Carnal Christian

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
artemioL

Carnal Christian

I recently read in article on Way of the Master against the "Carnal Christian." The argument seemed kind of weak. Recently, I heard Paul Washer say there is no such thing as a carnal Christian. Can someone bring in some hard Biblical evidence of this? Thank you.

2006/8/21 15:04Profile
roaringlamb

Santa Cruz California

Re: Carnal Christian

Yes, this is something I've wondered as well. Even Paul wrote to the Corinthians that they were "carnal", yet he did not say they were lost, or were they?
And since "carnal" means fleshly, would this simply be a person who continues to live according to the flesh?
This is gonna be good :-D

2006/8/21 15:13Profile
myfirstLove

good question, artemiol

i agree with paul washer. to say that christians can be carnal is going agaist the rest of the word. goes agaist the cross of Christ. Jesus was pretty clear of those who are true disciples.

read romans 8
Romans 8:5-7

5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit, the things of the Spirit. 6 For to be carnally minded is death, but to be spiritually minded is life and peace. 7 Because the carnal mind is enmity against God; for it is not subject to the law of God, nor indeed can be.

galatians also speaks of that those who PRACTICE sin will not enter the kingdom.

if you read all of 1 and 2 cor. paul was very harsh to the corithians. i believe he still calls them christians because they did have a true conversion so he treats them still as brethrens. but you see later in 2 cor. chapter 7 that the corithians repented because of pauls's strong message to them. so this shows that they were backsliding pretty bad and in need of repentance or else.

2 Corinthians 7

The Corinthians’ Repentance

2 Open your hearts to us. We have wronged no one, we have corrupted no one, we have cheated no one. 3 I do not say this to condemn; for I have said before that you are in our hearts, to die together and to live together. 4 Great is my boldness of speech toward you, great is my boasting on your behalf. I am filled with comfort. I am exceedingly joyful in all our tribulation.
5 For indeed, when we came to Macedonia, our bodies had no rest, but we were troubled on every side. Outside were conflicts, inside were fears. 6 Nevertheless God, who comforts the downcast, comforted us by the coming of Titus, 7 and not only by his coming, but also by the consolation with which he was comforted in you, when he told us of your earnest desire, your mourning, your zeal for me, so that I rejoiced even more.
8 For even if I made you sorry with my letter, I do not regret it; though I did regret it. For I perceive that the same epistle made you sorry, though only for a while. 9 Now I rejoice, not that you were made sorry, but that your sorrow led to repentance. For you were made sorry in a godly manner, that you might suffer loss from us in nothing. 10 For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation, not to be regretted; but the sorrow of the world produces death. 11 For observe this very thing, that you sorrowed in a godly manner: What diligence it produced in you, what clearing of yourselves, what indignation, what fear, what vehement desire, what zeal, what vindication! In all things you proved yourselves to be clear in this matter. 12 Therefore, although I wrote to you, I did not do it for the sake of him who had done the wrong, nor for the sake of him who suffered wrong, but that our care for you in the sight of God might appear to you.

God bless,
lisa

2006/8/21 15:47Profile
lovegrace

Re:

I just thought I'd throw out their a opinion on something that I've been thinking about lately.

Hmm, Paul. Wrote about abstaining from idols, homosexuality, etc. But he wrote to who? the sinners? NOPE, but the Saints, the people of God. Could it be you can do abominable sins, and still be Christian? (I'm not saying this, nor denying this, just a 'thought')

Carnal Christians is the 'Christianese' term, and such, but I don't know. Just thought I'd throw something out there in the mix 'to think about' brother.

Love ya in Christ,
Joshua

2006/8/21 23:17Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Sister Lisa quoted Romans 8:5-7...

If I may add to Paul's teaching where he continues in Romans 8:12-13...

"Therefore, brethren, we are debtors--not to the flesh, to live according to the flesh, for if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live."

In this section of Scripture we find that Paul is speaking to the brethren who have been born again. Here Paul teaches that we who have been born from above have a choice. If we continue to live according to the flesh we will die. But if by the Spirit we "put to death the deeds of the body," we will live.

A carnal christian is biblical. If the Bible states it, it is true. Jesus taught this same principle in John 8:31-36.

In this section of Scripture Jesus gives us a choice also. One can choose to remain a slave to sin or one can choose to hear the truth. Those who continue in bondage to sin do not live in the house forever. Those who are set free do remain in the house forever.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/8/21 23:59Profile
artemioL

Is there a difference between the idea of Carnal Christian and backsliding? Now I was talking to my sister about the whole pereserverance of the Saints thing(which might be a whole nother topic in itself), and she brought about the cases of Lot and Saul. I know they are OT cases, but..I'm not [u]sure[/u]if Lot ever got right with God, and Saul committed suicide, and I think he was saved. How would those 2 cases be? If there was no such thing as a "Carnal Christian" and the perserverance of the saints deal.

2006/8/22 0:02Profile
rookie

Savannah TN

Re:

Proverbs 14:14

"The backslider in heart will be filled with his own ways, But a good man will be satisfied from above."

Here we see the choice of seeking the things of the flesh or the things of the Spirit.

Those who perservere have grown to love what the Spirit is doing in their lives. Those who seek to satisfy the flesh cannot understand the love that God has for them for they choose not to walk with Him.

In Christ
Jeff

2006/8/22 12:11Profile

Quote:
and she brought about the cases of Lot and Saul. I know they are OT cases,

I think you have to be very careful not to mix up the Old and New Covenants.

Not sure what gave you the idea of Saul being 'saved' either. He was disobedient and God took away the kingdom from him as a direct result.

Try Hebrews 11 for a list of people who did make it though, and notice the reasons they did.... Then tag on the last couple of verses of that chapter, and you have THE link between the Old and New Covenants - between some of them - and [u]us[/u].

2006/8/22 12:55
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Amen Dorcas,

A carnal Christian is only carnal when he or she is attaining their own salvation by means other that Christ. If a Christian depends on the Christ that is born again in them how can they be carnal. They may sin because of the pulls of the old nature they had but in spirit they are a new creature. We have an advocate with the Father, and forgiveness is just sin is just a confession away, and by the Spirit of Christ and the Holy Spirit Teacher and God the Father we are cleansed from all unrighteousness.

Seek Christ and the things above and the carnal things of this world will grow strangely dim. That is the Christ in you has taken over your spirit and our minds are being renewed to the Mind of Christ by the Holy Spirit Teacher. Being carnal is not trusting Christ as our new life but depending on our own works to get to heaven and complete our salvation. Our works carnal, Christ and His works in us by the Power of the Holy Spirit, not carnal. In doing this carnality is gone and sin grows dimmer and dimmer, but still still carnality is doing it my way. Jhn 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them gave He power to become the sons of God, [even] to them that believe on His name: Carnality has nothing to do with salvation, but in working our salvation with fear and trembling instead of works self acknowledgement. Like Frank sang it, I did it my way, this is our carnality.

Wonder why Frank did not sing this? Ephesians 2:8-10 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God: Not of works, lest any man should boast. For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus unto good works, which God hath before ordained that we should walk in them.

As even to non Gentiles, we should give spiritual things, that is, by Grace God has saved you in Christ Jesus, by giving birth of Jesus Christ in those that are now of a New Spirit in Christ Jesus. Romans 15:27 It hath pleased them verily; and their debtors they are. For if the Gentiles have been made partakers of their spiritual things, their duty is also to minister unto them in carnal things. Salvation by Grace not by works.

Even Paul confirming this to the Corinthians: 1Cr 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, [even] as unto babes in Christ.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/8/22 18:24Profile
RevKerrigan

South Central Kentucky

Re:

I would say that there is no such thing as a Carnal Christian. I think there are times when a Christian will act out in the flesh, but he will NOT stay that way for any extended period of time or he is NO Christian at all (1 John 3:9). A True Christian has repented and therefore thinks the same about sin as God does...he hates it. He wants nothing to do with it. As we look at certain passages such a 1 Corinthians 3:1-4 and Hebrews 5:11-14 that talk about "Carnal Christians", we must keep in mind a couple of things: Just because these letters are written to local Churches, doesn't mean that everyone within each local Church is a Christian. I am sure that we can all testify to that by experience (Matthew 7:21-23). Just about every letter written in the N.T. (I can't think of an exception) was written to talk about 3 groups of people: the saved, the ones who heard the Gospel and were yet not Born Again (Counterfeit Christians) and those who knew they weren't saved. There may be exceptions to this, but 1 Corinthians and Hebrews are definitely NOT exceptions to this. Just remember that the letters were written as a whole letter. When people read them after they received them, they wouldn't read it a chapter or verse at a time (of course there were no chapters or verses yet), but would read the letter as a whole. That is exactly what you and me would do if we received a letter from someone today. If you look at just 1 Corinthians 3 and Hebrews 5 though, you can see that the writers (Paul and whoever) were rebuking the people for their conduct. The writers weren't say that their state was ok...that is for SURE. In fact, if you read on to 1 Corinthians 6:9-10, Paul states who DEFINITELY will NOT inherit the Kingdom of God. I think that qualifies what he says in 1 Corinthians 3. Just because he didn't say it in 1 Corinthians 3, doesn't mean he is saying that they ARE Christians. Then in his second letter to the same local Church, he admonishes them to check themselves to see if they truly ARE in the faith or not (2 Corinthians 13:5). Plus, you also have Paul's letter to the Galatians in chapter 5:19-21 where Paul again says that those who live in such a way will NOT inherit the Kingdom of God. Then in Hebrews 5, it doesn't necessarily say that the people the writer is talking about aren't saved...but then if you read on in Hebrews 6:4-6 and 10:26-27, you will see that it is qualified. When it comes down to it, Paul was calling them to examine themselves and so was the writer of Hebrews. There is NO SUCH THING as a Carnal Christian. The Word of God makes this much clear. How can there be one when the Spirit of God lives inside such a person? Aren't they forever changed (2 Corinthians 5:17, Ezekiel 36:25-27, Jeremiah 32:38-41)? Paul also wrote Romans 6 and Romans 8. One of the main principles of Biblical Hermeneutics is to interpret unclear passages (1 Corinthians 3 and Hebrews 5) in light of clear passages (all the other ones I mentioned). Hope this helps...God Bless!

2006/8/22 21:59Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy