SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes 6

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

A. W. Tozer - "The man who remains in his sin will be damned just as surely as the sun comes up in the east and goes down in the west" - /clientimages/31831/firstchurchoftheconvertedswineherders.wma

Leonard Ravenhill - "Until the church is holy there'll be no rapture - I don't care what theory of the rapture you have" - /clientimages/31831/noraptureuntilthechurchisholy.wma

Vance Havner - "We're suffering from a believism that never has believed and a receivism that never has received and it leads to deceivism" - /clientimages/31831/believismthatneverhasbelieved.wma

Vance Havner - "The last word of our Lord to the church was not the Great Commission. The last thing He said to the church was "Repent." He said that to five out of seven" - /clientimages/31831/excerpt1fromwewouldseejesus.wma

Vance Havner - "The first step towards the evangelizing of the world is the christianizing of the church" - /clientimages/31831/excerptfromtheunfinishedworkofchrist-1.wma - this is an excerpt from Havner's sermon, The Unfinished Work of Christ. It is two minutes and fifty three seconds in length and you will see that all of the quote is quotable.

Vance Havner - "They tell us now even in some evangelical circles that we ought to hobnob with Sodom and get chummy with Gomorrah in order to convert them...and these dear people are not turning the light on in Sodom, they're just getting used to the dark" - /clientimages/31831/excerpt1fromgettingusedtothedark.wma

Vance Havner - "It's possible to fraternize with unbelievers until false doctrine becomes less and less objectionable; until we come to terms with it and incorporate it eventually into the fellowship of truth" - /clientimages/31831/excerpt2fromgettingusedtothedark.wma

Vance Havner - "There was a time when ministers spoke forth-rightly and named things. We don't name anything anymore. Finney had a sermon on How to Preach so as to Convert Nobody. He said preach on sin but never mention any of the sins of your congregation - that will do it" - /clientimages/31831/excerpt3fromgettingusedtothedark.wma

Vance Havner - "I'm convinced that a large percentage of people that we call worldly Christians are perhaps not Christian to begin with and that may be the trouble" - /clientimages/31831/excerpt1fromthechristianandthisworld.wma

Vance Havner - "God's not out to save civilization today...civilization is a goner" - /clientimages/31831/excerpt2fromthechristianandthisworld.wma

Vance Havner - "Some say that you have to compromise with this world in order to influence it..." - /clientimages/31831/excerpt3fromthechristianandthisworld.wma

Paris Reidhead - "Our day is the day in which the ruling philosophy is pragmatism" - /clientimages/31831/excerpt1fromtenshekelsandashirt.wma

Paris Reidhead - "Our generation is prepared to honor with signal honor anyone that is successful...the philosophy of the day became humanism." - /clientimages/31831/excerpt2fromtenshekelsandashirt.wma

Paris Reidhead - "Humanism is a philosophical statement that declares the end of all being is the happiness of man" - /clientimages/31831/excerpt3fromtenshekelsandashirt.wma

Paris Reidhead - "And so it had gotten down to the place where salvation was nothing more than the assent to a scheme or a formula" - /clientimages/31831/excerpt4fromtenshekelsandashirt.wma

Paris Reidhead - "This is the betrayal of the ages and it is the betrayal in which we live" - /clientimages/31831/excerpt5fromtenshekelsandashirt.wma

Paris Reidhead - "This philosophical postulate that the end of all being is the happiness of man has been sort of covered over with evangelical terms and biblical doctrine until God reigns in heaven for the happiness of man, Jesus Christ was incarnate for the happiness of man, all the angels exist and ...everything is for the happiness of man - and I submit to you that this is unchristian" - /clientimages/31831/excerpt6fromtenshekelsandashirt.wma

Warren Wiersbe - "Do you want to be a popular preacher or a spokesman?" - /clientimages/31831/popularoraspokesman-1.wma

from: http://www.devcobaptist.org/templates/System/details.asp?id=31831&PID=363564

2006/8/23 1:05Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Bring thy lust to the gospel, not for relief, but for further conviction of its guilt: look on him whom thou hast pierced, and be in bitterness. Say to thy soul, ‘What have I done? What love, what mercy, what blood, what grace, have I despised and trampled on! Is this the return I make to the Father for his love, to the Son for his blood, to the Holy Ghost for his grace? Do I thus requite the Lord? Have I defiled the heart that Christ died to wash, which the blesses Spirit hath chosen to dwell in? And can I keep myself out of the dust? What can I say to the dear Lord Jesus? How shall I hold up my head with any boldness before him? Do I account communion with him of so little value that for this vile lust’s sake I have scarce left him any room in my heart? How shall I escape, if I neglect so great salvation? In the mean time, what shall I say to the Lord? Love, mercy, grace, goodness, peace, joy, consolation; I have despised them all, and esteemed them as a thing of naught, that I might harbour a lust in my heart.

‘Have I obtained a view of God’s fatherly countenance that I might behold his face and provoke him to his face? Was my soul washed that room might be made for new defilements? Shall I endeavour to disappoint the end of the death of Christ? Shall I daily grieve the Spirit whereby I am sealed to the day of redemption?’

Entertain thy conscience daily with this treaty. See if it can stand before this aggravation of its guilt. If this make it not sink in some measure, and melt, I fear thy case is dangerous.

- The Mortification of Sin by John Owen, p. 122

2006/8/23 17:45Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

J. B. Phillips
said of the first chapters of Acts

"This is the church of Jesus Christ before it became fat and out of breath by prosperity.
This is the church of Jesus Christ before it became muscle bound by over organization.

This is the church of Jesus Christ where they didn't gather together a group of
intellectuals to study phycho-sematic medicine, they just healed the sick.

This is the church of Jesus Christ where they did not say prayers,
but they prayed in the Holy Ghost." There's a vast difference.

2006/8/26 14:16Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

"Prayer is sincere, sensible, affectionate pouring out of the heart of the soul to God, through Christ, in the strength and assistance of the Holy Spirit, for such things as God has promised, or according to His Word, for the good of the church, within submission in faith to the will of God."

-John Bunyan

2006/8/28 15:22Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

“The invasion of the Church by the world is a menace to the extension of Christ's Kingdom. In all ages conformity to the world by Christians has resulted in lack of spiritual life and a consequent lack of spiritual vision and enterprise. A secularized or self-centered Church can never evangelize the world.”
-John R. Mott

2006/8/29 23:33Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Great Quotes 6

We religious leaders need to look very much more deeply. We can so easily have talks with people, and they can say we have helped, write us grateful letters, even stand steady for a time till the juice we have put into them runs out; but, we may have brought them no hunger for God-because that hunger is no ache in our own heart-nor brought them anywhere near to the end of self.

... Florence Allshorn (1887-1950), Notebooks [1957]

http://www.cqod.com/

2006/9/12 15:55Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

"press them to believe on Him immediately, intersperse prayers with your exhortations preacher and thereby call down fire from heaven even the fire of the Holy Ghost, speak every time my dear brother as if it were your last, weep out if possible every argument and as it were compel them to cry 'behold how he loveth us'! "
-George Whitefield

2006/9/12 18:59Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Great Quotes 6

[i]It is sown a natural body; it is raised a spiritual body. If there is a natural body, there is also a spiritual body.[/i] 1 Corinthians 15:44 (ESV)

Not for that we would be unclothed, but clothed upon, that mortality might be swallowed up in life. These are words by which the slanderers of the nature, of the body, the impeachers of our flesh, are completely overthrown... We do not wish to cast aside the body, but corruption: not the flesh, but death. The body is one thing, corruption another; the body is one thing, death another... What is foreign to us is not the body but corruptibility.

St. John Chrysostom (345?-407)

2006/9/13 0:25Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re: Great Quotes 6

"The serious urgency of this duty is created by several facts: First, the utter incompatibility of any measure or kind of sin with holiness. Second, there is a spurious kind of sanctification, which, like Antinomianism, allows itself seemingly to palliate sin. Vice may occur, but it is at once neutralized, or somehow loses its character, by faith or the blood, in connection with a sanctified nature. An egregious error. Sin in the saved is the same as sin in the unsaved. It invalidates the profession of holiness, brings condemnation, and necessitates forgiveness. Third, there is a degree of holiness which is made to comport with the milder forms of moral obliquity. Certain appetites, vanities, and fashionable follies are allowed, fostered, and extenuated; and yet full salvation is claimed and professed. This is a delusion. It is morally impossible for God to sanctify, so long as we toy or tamper with sin. Faith can no more grasp the blessing of sanctification while under the embargo of cherished sin, than the hand can perform its functions under paralysis..."

-Asbury Lowrey

2006/9/13 10:47Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

"I do not think it possible for a man to love holiness who loves novels, or craves the staple matter of our secular newspapers. Nor is it possible for a man to find zest in sanctified and sanctifying literature who frequents the theater and other common resorts of worldly men. The same may be said of those who participate in popular amusements or mingle in the hilarities of fashionable society. Such frivolities and vices create revulsions to holiness. And wherever Christians make worldly customs and tainted literature their element, soul-hunger for purity is sure to die out. A candle cannot burn in the foul air that settles in old wells and cisterns. No more can a flame of holy love exist in an atmosphere of un-Christian habits though not grossly wicked."

-Asbury Lowrey

2006/9/13 10:47Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy