SermonIndex Audio Sermons
Image Map
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Great Quotes 6

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 Next Page )
PosterThread
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

“O how willful will your destruction be if you should yet harden yourself in your sinful state! But none of you can say that you have not had fair warning. Yet I cannot leave you so. It is not enough for me to have delivered my own soul. What! shall I go away without my errand? Will none of you arise and follow me? Have I been all this while speaking to the wind? Have I been charming the deaf adder, or allaying the restless ocean with argument? Do I speak to the trees and rocks, or to men? to the tombs and monuments of the dead, or to the living? If you are men and not senseless stocks, stop and consider where you are going! If you have the reason and understanding of men, do not dare to run into the flames, and fall into hell with your eyes open; but stop and think, and set about the work of repentance. What, men? and yet run into the pit, when the very beasts will not be forced in? What, endowed with reason? and yet trifle with death and hell, and the
vengeance of the Almighty? Are men only distinguished from brutes in that these, having no foresight, have no care to provide for the things to come, and will you, who are warned, not hasten your escape from eternal torments? O show yourselves men, and let reason prevail with you.”

-Joseph Alleine

2006/7/27 12:37Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

“Alas, for such sinners! must they perish at last by hundreds? What course shall I use with them that I have not tried? 'What shall I do for the daughter of my people?' (Jer ix 7).”

-Joseph Alleine

2006/7/27 12:38Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

“Beloved, do not be your own betrayers. Do not decieve your own hearts, nor set your hands to your own ruin by a wilful blinding of yourselves. Set up a tribuanl in your own breasts. Bring the word and conscience together. To the law and to the testimony. Hear what the word concludes of your state. Oh, follow the search till you find how the case stands. Make a mistake here and you perish.”

“O searcher of hearts, set this soul searching, and help him in his search.”

-Joseph Alleine

2006/7/27 12:39Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

“I find by sad experience that such a spirit of sloth and slumber possesses the unsanctified that, though they are convinced that they are yet unconverted, often they carelessly sit still…
It is therefore of high necessity that I not only convince men that they are unconverted, but that I also endeavour to bring them to a sense of the fearful misery of this state.”

-Joseph Alleine

2006/7/27 12:41Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

“Could I bring paradise into view, or represent the kingdom of heaven to as much advantage as the tempter did the kingdoms of the world, and the glory thereof, to our Saviour; or could I uncover the face of the deep and devouring gulf of Tophet in all its terrors, and open the gates of the infernal furnace; alas, he has no eyes to see it. Could I paint the beauties of holiness or the glory of the Gospel; or could I expose to view the more than diabolical deformity and ugliness of sin; he can no more judge of the loveliness and beauty of the one, and the filthiness and hatefulness of the other, than a blind man of colours.”

-Joseph Alleine

2006/7/27 12:42Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

We are too busy to pray, and so we are too busy to have power.
— R. A. Torrey

2006/7/30 1:57Profile
sermonindex

"Pilgrim and Sojourner." - 1 Peter 2:11

Online!
 Re:

Christs true church is built of living stones, not of dead wood. ... Alexander Simpson

2006/7/30 18:49Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: Great Quotes 6

Ministers generally avoid preaching what the people before them will understand as addressed particularly to them. They will preach to them about other people, and the sins of other people, instead of addressing them and saying, "You are guilty of these sins; and, The Lord requires this of you." [u]They often preach about the Gospel instead of preaching the Gospel.[/u] They often preach about sinners instead of preaching to them. They studiously avoid being personal, in the sense of making the impression on anyone present that he is the man. Now I have thought it my duty to pursue a different course; and I always have pursued a different course. I have often said, "Do not think I am talking about anybody else; but I mean you, and you, and you."
-Charles Finney

2006/7/30 19:42Profile
Tears_of_joy

Ministers told me at first that people would never endure this; but would get up and go out, and never come to hear me again. But this is all a mistake. Very much, in this as in everything else, depends on the spirit in which it is said. If the people see that it is said in the spirit of love, with a yearning desire to do them good; if they cannot call it an ebullition of personal animosity, but if they see, and cannot deny, that it is telling the truth in love; that it is coming right home to them to save them individually, there are very few that will continue to resent it. If at the time they feel pointed at and rebuked, nevertheless the conviction is upon them that they needed it, and it will surely ultimately do them great good.
-Charles Finney

2006/7/30 19:45Profile
Tears_of_joy

I have often said to people, when I saw that they looked offended, "Now you resent this and you will go away and say that you will not come again; but you will. Your own convictions are on my side. You know that what I tell you is true; and that I tell it for your own good; and that you cannot continue to resent it." And I have always found this to be true.
-Charles Finney

2006/7/30 19:45Profile

©2002-2020 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy