SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Is everyone here Dispensational in their Eschatology?

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
-David

Is everyone here Dispensational in their Eschatology?

I'm Amillennial and partial or "moderate" preterist. My intention with this question isn't to debate the subject but just to see the views held by others here.

-David

2004/1/11 14:53Profile
Chosen7Stone

FL, USA

Re: Is everyone here Dispensational in their Eschatology?

Hi David.
I'm not a dispensationalist. But to be completely honest, I'm not 100% clear on pre-, post-, or a- millenialism yet. As far as when Jesus returns, however, it's up to God. ;) He's got perfect timing, and He'll come when He comes. I don't believe we'll be raptured before the tribulation, however.
And as for as this question not being up to debate...lol, just wait. ;)

2004/1/11 15:53Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
I'm Amillennial and partial or "moderate" preterist. My intention with this question isn't to debate the subject but just to see the views held by others here.

I find it very hard to fit my views from what I have seen in the bible to a certain theological stance. I have read up quite well on alot of Eschatology and all the major viewpoints given. I am quite firmly against the popular idea of the pre-tribulation rapture. And in view to the Millinum I tend to think its a literal 1000 year period that will commence after the judgement of the world and the return of Christ.

2004/1/11 15:56Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Hi David
I suspect I am pretty close to your description. For a number of years I was a passionate pre-trib, pre-mill advocate and had everything worked out neatly.

The thing that changed almost everything for me in my understanding was the comprehensiveness of the New Covenant. The more I saw its fullness the less I was inclined to fit in a Jewish post script.

I have studied the topic quite a bit over the years but as each advocate gets to their punch line I find myself saying "I'm not convinced". I find myself in the odd position of being much more clear about what I don't believe that what I do. I am particularly suspicious of those who build contemporary church phenomena into their eschatological schedules eg manifested sons etc.

2004/1/12 12:21Profile
lwpray

Sweden

I became a Christian some thirty years ago by the eager help of dear, then young, friends in the Jesus Movement. Of course we were expecting Jesus to come back any minute.
Today I try to keep myself within the framework of 1 Thessalonians 1:10, waiting for Him to come, being made ready by the Spirit, filled with anticipation, the tougher the better – the Cross at work
Like Ron, I have to say that none of the systems regarding the time of the arrival are watertight.
Waiting keeps me occupied to the utmost.
Lars

2004/1/12 12:39Profile
almondBranch

Tralee, Ireland

Hi David, I suppose I too am a partial preterist, although some of my beliefs might be described as dispensationalist (I wouldn't use that term myself). I do believe that the kingdom of God will be visibly manifest on the earth at some time, as to how it all fits togheter I am uncertain. But look forward with great hope to the time when all things become new.

Jon Zens hosted an "end times" conference last July, there were pre-mils a-mils preterists and others who gave there views and were questioned by the other speakers and congregation. the tapes are available from: www.searchingtogether.org

2004/1/12 13:49Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

almondbranch's reference to the conference reminded me of something that happened to me some years ago. I had been invited to speak at the OICCU (Oxford Universities Christian Union) on 1 Thess 4. This would not have been my choice but I consented. I then received a standard disclaimer from OICCU that as there was a wide representation of Christian viewpoint represented in OICCU I was required to undertake that I would not preach extremes to the exclusion of other viewpoints.

I wrote back, accepting the disclaimer, and promising that I would endeavour not to offend the pre-millennialists, post-millenialists, a-millennialists, pre-tribulationists, mid-tribulationists, post-tribulationists, or even the partial rapturists. I also suggested that if I succeeded they might recommend my services to the United Nations where such diplomatic skills could clearly be put to useful purpose!

The session went well and no more martyrs were added to Oxford's lists.

2004/1/12 14:20Profile
Alexis

Cyprus

Re:

I never knew there were so many categories, it's a good thing there are only two events to think of...the millenium and the tribulation.

2004/1/12 14:45Profile
Alexis

Cyprus

Re:

Quote:
I also suggested that if I succeeded they might recommend my services to the United Nations where such diplomatic skills could clearly be put to useful purpose!

Haha.... then you could solve the Cyprus problem as well!

2004/1/12 14:47Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Haha.... then you could solve the Cyprus problem as well!

I think we have some good mutual friends in Cyprus. Give my regards to John P when you are home. Do you have any links with the Cypriot groups in North London?

2004/1/12 16:28Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy