Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : Matt 22

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
hmmhmm

Sweden

Matt 22

I have i question , iposted it in another thread here but havent got an awnser so i made a new one. My question is this in

Mat 22:12 And he saith unto him, Friend, how camest thou in hither not having a wedding garment? And he was speechless.
Mat 22:13 Then said the king to the servants, Bind him hand and foot, and take him away, and cast him into outer darkness; there shall be weeping and gnashing of teeth.

why did this guy get thrown out? i know he had no wedding garment... but what does that symbolise here? in the beginning he says that the parallel is marrige=kingdom of god but can one enter and then get thrown out?

christian

2006/6/26 11:13Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re: Matt 22

The first thought that comes to mind is that Jesus warning those who would try to enter in without His righteousness... without being clothed in His white garments.

2006/6/26 12:54Profile
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

John 10:1-10

Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber. But he that entereth in by the door is the shepherd of the sheep. To him the porter openeth; and the sheep hear his voice: and he calleth his own sheep by name, and leadeth them out. And when he putteth forth his own sheep, he goeth before them, and the sheep follow him: for they know his voice. And a stranger will they not follow, but will flee from him: for they know not the voice of strangers. This parable spake Jesus unto them: but they understood not what things they were which he spake unto them. Then said Jesus unto them again, Verily, verily, I say unto you, I am the door of the sheep. All that ever came before me are thieves and robbers: but the sheep did not hear them. I am the door: by me if any man enter in, he shall be saved, and shall go in and out, and find pasture. The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.

2006/6/26 12:57Profile

Hi JFEdgar,

'Verily, verily, I say unto you, He that entereth not by the door into the sheepfold, but climbeth up some other way, the same is a thief and a robber.'

In this passage, I believe Jesus is discussing false shepherds.

I've heard it expounded as if it refers to the ordinary sheep, but recently when I was reading John, the Spirit made me understand a much greater sense to the whole section, if it is simply a dissertion on who is trustworthy and why (or why not). He is giving the Father's perspective on the whole matter, as well as His own.

I think you are right when referred to the robe of righteousness in your first post. The wedding garment is also that of the suffering Church, who is ready and willing to lay down her life for her Lord, who has already laid down His life for her. By this unlikely outcome of the shedding of blood, through Him, her robe is purified until it is holy and without spot, wrinkle or blemish. By her hoping to the end (death) for the salvation which shall be brought to her in the last day, He is vindicated in His sacrifice for her.

hmmhmm, I'm not sure how the man gets into the wedding feast without his garment on. (Apparently the garment is sent in good time for it to be worn on the festive occasion) but, it is also sign that the person has esteemed the host worthy of his humble presence, that he complies with the host's request to wear the robe.

When the man doesn't wear the robe, he is showing he does not respect the host, nor the invitation he received, nor the expense on his behalf of providing a wedding garment specially reserved for him. The invitee is behaving as if the host is beneath his dignity. Little wonder he gets thrown out, then, by the host, the Lord of Glory, who is Righteous, and our righeousness.

2006/6/26 13:11
JFEdgar

Wellington, Ohio

Re:

I agree...
I guess my view is that those who attempt to enter in without His robe of righteousness, and those who Jesus calls false prophets are really one in the same. A person does not have to hold an 'official' position to be a false prophet.

2006/6/26 13:39Profile
InTheLight

Phoenix, Arizona USA

Quote:
why did this guy get thrown out? i know he had no wedding garment... but what does that symbolise here? in the beginning he says that the parallel is marrige=kingdom of god but can one enter and then get thrown out?

I think this is just a picture of someone who deceives himself that he has a place at the feast but is really a false friend.

It's interesting to note that Jesus used some similar language when Judas betrayed him as Matthew tells us, "And Jesus said unto him, Friend, wherefore art thou come?" (Matt 26:50)
Judas was among His followers, a "friend", but he never entered in to life. He claimed to be a follower of Christ but his whole heart was not in it. So I think this is someone who was never truly converted in the first place.

In Christ,

Ron

2006/6/26 14:10Profile
philologos

Reading, UK

Re:

Here are some [url=http://www.spurgeon.org/sermons/0976.htm]thoughts from Charles Spurgeon[/url] on the topic, and from .[url=http://gbgm-umc.org/umhistory/Wesley/sermons/serm-120.stm]John Wesley![/url]

2006/6/26 15:02Profile
habakkuk3

Virginia

Re:

And [url=http://www.godrules.net/library/clarke/clarkemat22.htm]Adam Clarke[/url] and [url=http://www.godrules.net/library/henry/henrymat22.htm]Matthew Henry[/url]. A great parable to pray over. It's interesting to note the differences in what the English word "friend" mean when looking at the original Greek in the context of different scriptures.

Enjoy!

2006/6/26 17:49Profile
Christinyou

Ca.

Re:

Gal 3:27 For as many of you as have been baptized into Christ have put on Christ.

Rom 13:14 But put ye on the Lord Jesus Christ, and make not provision for the flesh, to [fulfil] the lusts [thereof].

Isa 61:10 I will greatly rejoice in the LORD, my soul shall be joyful in my God; for he hath clothed me with the garments of salvation, he hath covered me with the robe of righteousness, as a bridegroom decketh [himself] with ornaments, and as a bride adorneth [herself] with her jewels.

Christ is our garment, the outsider did not have Christ to put on. All that don't have Christ are cast out.

In Christ: Phillip

2006/6/26 22:29Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

Quote:
Here are some thoughts from Charles Spurgeon on the topic, and from .John Wesley!

Thanks for sharing these. I have found them most moving, especially Spurgeon's message. I think it is most powerful in light of so much 'so-called' [i]easy-believism[/i] in our times. I cannot think of a more convicting sermon I have ever heard or read. It much reminds me of Edward's "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God."

2006/6/27 15:50Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy