PosterThread
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Evan Roberts by David Smithers

[img align=left]http://www.watchword.org/smithers/evanroberts.jpg[/img]
[b]Evan Roberts[/b]
[i]by David Smithers[/i]

The seeds of revival are always nurtured in the hearts of the humble. And so it was with the great Welsh Revival of 1904. It was in a young coal miner named Evan Roberts that God imparted a burning vision for spiritual revival. Evan Roberts did not possess the gifts of a great intellect or eloquent speech, but simply a burning passion for Jesus. While other young men were sailing boats in the bay, young Roberts was faithfully attending prayer meetings.

Though only 26 years old, Evan Roberts had no time for youthful entertainment and pleasure. "Day and night without ceasing, he prayed, wept and sighed for a great spiritual awakening . . ." Roberts writes, "for ten or eleven years I have prayed for revival. I could sit up all night to read or talk about revivals." Eventually Evan Roberts was turned out of his lodging by his landlady who thought that in his enthusiasm he was possessed or somewhat mad. "He spent hours praying and preaching in his room until the lady became afraid of him, and asked him to leave."

The role of Evan Roberts in the Welsh revival was anything but conventional. Often he would simply lead the people in prayer or read the Scriptures. Then at other times he sat silent, while, one after another, people confessed their sins or gave testimony of Christ's victory and power. There were also glorious times of worship which lasted literally hours. Roberts merely gave humble instruction from time to time and let the Holy Spirit do the rest. He was a constant example not of how to preach, but of how to be led by the Spirit.

The Welsh revival was a mighty invasion of the Spirit; God's Kingdom radically manifested on earth. "The earnings of workmen, instead of being squandered on drink and vice, were now bringing great joy to their families. Outstanding debts were being paid by thousands of young converts. Restitution was the order of the day. The gambling and alcohol business lost their trade and the theaters closed down from lack of patronage. Football during this time was forgotten by both players and fans, though nothing was mentioned from the pulpits about it. The people had new lives and new interests. Political meetings were cancelled or abandoned. They seemed completely out of the question since nobody was interested. The political leaders from parliament in London abandoned themselves to the revival meetings. The man-made denominational barriers completely collapsed as believers and pastors worshipped their majestic Lord together." One of the outstanding features of the revival was the confession of sin,not among the unsaved only, but among the saved. All were broken down and melted before the cross of Christ.

Throughout the revival, Evan Roberts constantly stressed the necessity of dealing honestly with sin, complete obedience to the Holy Spirit, and the preeminence of the Lord Jesus Christ. Evan Roberts was instrumental in bringing healing to an entire country because he cared and wept and prayed. He embraced the broken heart of God and offered it back up to Him through prayer and intercession. As a result "wherever he went, hearts were set aflame with the Love of God!"

2004/1/9 23:16Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re: Evan Roberts by David Smithers

Quote:
"Day and night without ceasing, he prayed, wept and sighed for a great spiritual awakening . . ." Roberts writes, "for ten or eleven years I have prayed for revival. I could sit up all night to read or talk about revivals." Eventually Evan Roberts was turned out of his lodging by his landlady who thought that in his enthusiasm he was possessed or somewhat mad. "He spent hours praying and preaching in his room until the lady became afraid of him, and asked him to leave."

[b][size=small][color=FF3300]![/color][/size][/b]

2004/1/10 10:49Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

YES Mike, it seems remarkable to me the passion and zeal possessed by this young man. He had been praying for revival since he was 12 and his favorite thing to do was 'read and talk about revivals.'

Quote:
As a result "wherever he went, hearts were set aflame with the Love of God!"

What he had was contagious. The Love and devotion he had for God was like a fire and it spread whereever he went.

Quote:
He spent hours praying

I am trying to read more about this remarkable man given to God. I have heard so far that God used to wake him up at 1am and 5am in the mornings to pray to him. He sometimes was caught up to heaven in visions. He lived in the supernatural.

2004/1/10 10:55Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

Quote:
He lived in the supernatural.

Where the real living is!
I want to move there,.....permanently!

2004/1/10 11:13Profile
moreofHim

Re:

What a wonderful example!

When the Lord first began speaking to me, He used to wake me up at all hours of the night. Many times, I didn't know what to pray for and I would just pray that his will be done in the earth. Many times He would lead me to a specific scripture to pray about for His people, His church.

As a mom, I got very tired. I think this is why He has let up on this a bit. :-D

I can really see why Paul said it would be better if all could be single like him - to give their whole time to the Lord. When you have family, or a time consuming job, it is a bit hard. But it's all for a season.

In Him, Chanin

2004/1/10 11:42Profile
sermonindex

Canada

Online!
 Re:

Quote:
When the Lord first began speaking to me, He used to wake me up at all hours of the night. Many times, I didn't know what to pray for and I would just pray that his will be done in the earth.

YES, the Lord sometimes used to wake me up in the middle of the night to read some chapters out of the bible. I am praying to get back to that place where He can have His way with me in that regard.

2004/1/10 12:41Profile
crsschk

Santa Clara, CA

Re:

:-D 4:00 a.m. The sacred hour.(Been awhile for me as well)
Pray that we all could be in that place, that no matter what time, we could be awakened even if we are [i]awake[/i]!

By the way, you guy's are just blessing me to no end with all these recent posts!
Just downloaded and printed that little book by Robert Burnell for tonight's enjoyment.

Much thanks to you guy's, Chanin, Greg, Mike, everyone!

Mike

2004/1/10 23:22Profile
Christian

Washington DC

All night praying

I had asked the lord to speak to me and reveal truth, as to how I should live my life. I was greatly grieved with storing crying, that when I had talked to Mark (who died) there was little conviction. But it was not the speaking of words but the lack of prayer that convicted me even though I had been keeping the 4am prayer hour. What is needed is all night prayer, week after week, month after month, year after year, until revival comes.

The lord convicted me that all I say is but a sounding gong because I have not loved Jesus. The tremendous love one has for Jesus will produce all night praying. I had always though that if we did not love others we would be a sounding gong, but it had become clear that it was love for Jesus. Oh, lord that I may love Jesus to the point that all night praying would result. I will look to the book of Daniel for guidance. Peggy Smith, from 10:00 on Tuesday 10:00 on Friday would wait upon God until 4:00am. She was 82 and blind and her sister with her was a cripple. After several months the revival came to Lewis Scotland.

The only thing that can sustain all night praying is love for Jesus. Peggy said to Duncan, if you were as near to God as you aught to be you would know what God was doing also.

Evan Robert went before a group of 800 people, sat down and prayed for 3hours then stood up and spoke for 15min and the spirit of god fell mightily upon them. Then he left and spent the rest of the night in prayer!

“This evil people , which refuse to hear my words, which walk in the imaginations of their heart, and walk after other Gods, to serve them, and to worship them, shall ever be as this girdle, which is good for nothing, jer 13:10

2004/1/10 23:39Profile
Christian

Washington DC

PRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:

As a mom, I got very tired. I think this is why He has let up on this a bit.

HE! not so it's you! PRAY!!! Read about John and charals Wesleys mother. I pour my heart out for my children every morning. I will not rely on another to prayer for them. I have rebuilt the family alter and as for my house we will read the bible and pray always together! Ravenhill said we are sitting back and letting our children go to hell! TV! If Christians spent as much time in prayer as they do watching TV there lives would be completely transformed and would save there children form hell.

I say turn the TV of and pray! Our families eternal lives are a stake.

2004/1/10 23:50Profile
Christian

Washington DC

Re: An Instrument of revival

I have in my hand the book "An Instrument of Revival" the complete life of Evan Roberts by Brynmor Pierce Jones. I will start reading when I finish the William Gurnall "The Whole Armour of God. "Christian, look whenever thou comest forth to public duty, that thou hast a call. It is obedience to be ready to answer when God calls thee forth, but it is pride to run before God speeks."Gurnall 1617-1679.

2004/1/11 0:05Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy