SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Articles and Sermons : John Wesley Quotes...

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
PosterThread
Combat_Chuck

Re:

Quote:

Forevidence wrote:
"Fire is the symbol of love; and the love of God is the principle and the end of all our good works. But truth surpasses figure; and the fire of divine love has this advantage over material fire, that it can re- ascend to its source, and raise thither with it all the good works which it produces. And by this means it prevents their being corrupted by pride, vanity, or any evil mixture. But this cannot be done otherwise than by making these good works in a spiritual manner die in God, by a deep gratitude, which plunges the soul in him as in an abyss, with all that it is, and all the grace and works for which it is indebted to him; a gratitude, whereby the soul seems to empty itself of them, that they may return to their source, as rivers seem willing to empty themselves, when they pour themselves with all their waters into the sea.”

-John Wesley

I just want to echo this. This is beautiful. John Wesley surely was very intimate with our Lord.

2006/5/28 5:31Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

"When I have money, I get rid of it quickly, lest it find a way into my heart."
-John Wesley

2006/5/28 6:19Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: John Wesley Quotes...

"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, at all the times you can, to all the people you can, as long as ever you can."
-John Wesley

2006/5/28 6:20Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

"When you set yourself on fire, people love to come and see you burn."
-John Wesley

2006/5/28 6:20Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

"Wherever riches have increased, the essence of religion has decreased in the same proportion. Therefore I do not see how it is possible in the nature of things for any revival of religion to continue long. For religion must necessarily produce both industry and frugality, and these cannot but produce riches. But as riches increase, so will pride, anger, and love of the world in all its branches."
-John Wesley

2006/5/28 6:24Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re:

"I value all things only by the price they shall gain in eternity."
-John Wesley

2006/5/28 6:26Profile
Tears_of_joy

Re: about worldliness...

"Anything that cools my love for Christ is the world.”
-John Wesley

2006/5/28 6:34Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

" If, after having renounced all, we do not watch incessantly, and beseech God to accompany our vigilance with his, we shall be again entangled and overcome.”

-John Wesley

2006/5/30 14:27Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

"If we were not utterly impotent, our good works would be our own property; whereas now they belong wholly to God, because they proceed from him and his grace: While raising our works, and making them all divine, he honours himself in us through them.”

-John Wesley

2006/5/30 14:28Profile
Forevidence

Riverside

Re:

" The words of St. Paul, 'No man can call Jesus Lord, but by the Holy Ghost,' show us the necessity of eyeing God in our good works, and even in our minutest thoughts; knowing that none are pleasing to him, but those which he forms in us and with us. From hence we learn that we cannot serve him, unless he use our tongue, hands, and heart, to do by himself and his Spirit whatever he would have us to do.”

-John Wesley

2006/5/30 14:29Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy