SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Revivals And Church History : The 'Unnatural' Love ("The Betrayal of the Ages" Continued)

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
PosterThread
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

THE MAKING OF MANY 'sons'

Behold, what manner of love the Father hath bestowed upon us, that we should be called the sons of God: therefore the world knoweth us not, because it knew him not. Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is. And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure (I John 3:1-3).

We are the children of God by the grace of God, through faith in Jesus Christ. We have been born of God through an incorruptible seed, which is the word of God (I Peter 1:23). Out temples (body+soul+spirit) has been set in order and cleansed, endued with the living presence of God. Formerly our spirit was dead towards God, but now it has been quickened. The Holy Spirit is in contact with our spirit. For ye have not received the spirit of bondage again to fear; but ye have received the Spirit of adoption, whereby we cry, Ababa, Father. The Spirit itself beater witness with our spirit, that we are the children of God: (Romans 8:15, 16). As the children of Israel followed the fire and cloud in the wilderness, so also;

For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God (8:14).

As our Lord had said, "My sheep hear my voice and another they will not follow." This implies [i]personal relationship[/i]. Shepherds often give each of their sheep a name and call them by that name. This is more than knowing about God, it is knowing God in a personal way.

IN THE GARDEN

I come to the garden alone

While the dew is still on the roses

And the voice I hear, falling on my ear

The Son of God discloses

[u]Chorus[/u]

And he walks with me

And he talks with me

And he tells me I am His own

And the joy we share as we tarry there

None other has ever known

He speaks and the sound of His voice

Is so sweet the birds hush their singing

And the melody that He gave to me

Within my heart is ringing

[i]chorus[/i]

And he walks with me

And he talks with me

And he tells me I am His own

I'd stay in the garden with Him

'Tho the night around me be falling

But He bids me go; through the voice of woe

His voice to me is calling

[i]chorus[/i]

And He walks with me

And He talks with me

And He tells me I am His own

2006/5/19 7:53Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

FROM GLORY UNTO GLORY

We have a wonderful picture of what it means to be changed into His image from glory to glory again with Moses in the wilderness. In Exodus 24:1-4 God called Moses up unto Himself to give to him a covenant that according to Paul in II Corinthians 3:13 had a [i]fading glory[/i]. Aaron, Nadab, Abihu, and the seventy of the elders of Israel; were to come up with Moses, but were to worship ‘afar off’.

Moses [u]alone[/u] was allowed to come near. Why? We know later that Aaron would assist the people in the making of a golden calf (Exodus 32) and Nadab and Abihu would offer strange fire to the Lord (Leviticus 10:1). Moses had long since forsaken the trappings of Egypt, but it still dwelled in the hearts of these other men. We know with certainty that none of that generation save Joshua and Caleb entered the promised land.

Moses came near to God in as much as his face began to shine with the glory of God. It was when Moses was near that God gave Moses the Law on the tables of stone. In this I see a picture of the hearts of the people; [i]hearts of stone[/i]. This deals with the unwillingness of the people to 'hear'. We are given this WARNING in Hebrews:

Wherefore (as the Holy Ghost saith, To day if ye will hear his voice, Harden not your hearts, as in the provocation, in the day of temptation in the wilderness: When your fathers tempted me, proved me, and saw my works forty years. Wherefore I was grieved with that generation, and said, They do alway err in their heart; and they have not known my ways. So I sware in my wrath, They shall not enter into my rest.) Take heed, brethren, lest there be in any of you an evil heart of unbelief, in departing from the living God. But exhort one another daily, while it is called To day; lest any of you be hardened through the deceitfulness of sin.

If we read this passage in reverse we find that the deceitfulness of Sin was the 'means' by which the hearts of the people were hardened. It would appear that the deceitfulness of Sin had supplanted their faith in God and His Word. They listened to the enemies lies instead of listening to God. They would 'hear' the lies and 'hearden' their hearts against God. What has happened when something hardens? The water has gone out. It has been 'quenched'.

I have used the illustration of what it means to 'quench' the Spirit by referring to the sound that a hot poker makes when it touches a wet cloth. SHHHHHHHH. And if I might make the connection, it is no different when man quenches the Spirit. They have essentially put their index finger to their lips and told Him, "SHHHHH, I don't want to hear what you have to say!, I'm asserting MY will, not YOURS!" This, I think, is how we sear our conscience and harden our hearts. We tell the Holy Spirit His orders are not welcome. Charles Finney writes;

[i]What is it to harden the heart? It is to commit the will or mind against the claims of God and of humanity. To harden the heart is to commit the soul in a spirit of disobedience, and self-will, and stubbornness, against God and his government. It is always a voluntary act to harden the heart, and a voluntary state when the hardness of heart is continued.

The mind always assigns to itself some reason for taking this position of self-will, and for maintaining this position of stubbornness against God. It is a matter of consciousness that the will has indirectly a great control of the feelings. If the mind commits itself by an act of will to any position, the feelings are brought to adjust themselves to the will's position; not always directly and instantly, but the feelings will soon come to sympathize with the attitude taken by the will.

The reason is very obvious, the feelings are influenced by the thoughts, and the thoughts are directed by the will. When the will, then, is committed to a dishonest position, it will always use the intellect dishonestly; and by a dishonest use of the intellect will foster such thoughts as to prevent the feelings.

This is common experience, as every one knows who has paid any particular attention to his own state of mind. A voluntary stubbornness always locks up the sensibility, and closes it against that class of emotions that would naturally result from a different attitude of the will. If the mind takes a position against God, it will use the intellect to justify its position, or to excuse it; consequently it will indulge only in thoughts, and arguments, and reflections, that justify its position, and therefore that poison and pervert the feelings and bring them into sympathy with the will.

Men harden their hearts, then, by an uncandid and selfish use of the intellect, assigning to themselves such reasons for their conduct as to justify their taking this position. if you harden your heart and continue to do so, it will surely be fatal to you. There is no power in the universe that can save you, if you will persist in hardening your heart against God.[/i] (C.G. Finney HARDEN NOT YOUR HEART)

Can God write His laws into a heart that has made the Holy Spirit unwelcomed? Will man behave like Christ with his/her heart hardened as a stone? No. This is why man needed his stoney heart removed and a heart of flesh installed in its place. This is a heart with a readiness to 'hear', 'trust' and 'obey'. I love this connection in Paul's writings:

Forasmuch as ye are manifestly declared to be the epistle of Christ ministered by us, written not with ink, but with the Spirit of the living God; not in tables of stone, but in fleshy tables of the heart (II Corinthians 3:3).

Is Paul saying that because we are changed into His image from glory to glory that our faces will glow with a radiance? We are used to thinking of glory as a 'glowing' or 'light'.

What are we talking about? We are talking about real 'evidence'. Evidence that we have been with Jesus (Acts 4:13). When we keep our hearts tender and right towards God He can put His laws in them until they are woven into the very fabric of our personality. Our behavior will illuminate. Our actions will manifest the person of Christ. It is ‘His image’ that we are changed into from glory to glory.

2006/5/19 8:20Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

THE DIVIDING OF SOUL AND SPIRIT

For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart (Hebrews 4:12)

One of the first lessons we find in scripture is that of Cain and Abel. This lesson is among the first of many that comprise a body of revelation from God to man that we call the Scriptures (the Bible from [i]biblion[/i] ‘book’ ). The Bible is not intended to be a complete history of events, it is intended to convey specific truths about God and man. God carefully selected the stories and their characters for a [i]definite[/i] purpose.

Consider that billions of people's stories could have been recorded over the course of human history in the pages of scripture; but God revealed these specific events and story lines of the people of God and specifically Israel for our instruction and learning (I Corinthians 10:11). The backdrop of the New Testament is the Old Testament. Therefore, there are NO insignificant details in God word; not even the ‘begats’. Every entry has a purpose or it would not be recorded. The Bible is not a history book in the sense that it exhaustively records the details of peoples and nations existence; it is a specific selection of history meant to reveal God and His dealing with man. (R.B) This [u]is[/u] the revelation that is sharper than any two edged sword.

In order to gain a right perspective of God's dealing with man we have to look at the dividing asunder of [i]soul[/i] and [i]spirit[/i]. The real life story of Cain and Abel is one of the first pictures we get of the [i]dividing asunder of soul and spirit[/i]. Here were two brothers born first to the fallen race. At this juncture in history there is still 'some' dealings with God as both at some point brought to God an 'offering.' We are not told the details of why or how, but we are certain that they have been trained in the matter of offerings or they would not be bringing them. In either case, we understand that God accepted one offering and rejected the other. Cain is mentioned first that he brought an offering of the fruit of the ground. Abel brought a sacrifice to God according to God’s design and specifications, that is, the firstlings of his flock with its fat portions.

We can make some safe assumptions here while first looking at why Cain should have known fruits and vegatables are not an accptable offering to the Lord. First, may it be known, that God judges man based upon the light that he/she is given. If you know the right way or [i]should[/i] have known the right way, there is [u]no[/u] excuse (Romans 1). Adam and Eve did that what was right in their own eyes and sewed fig leaves together to cover their nakedness. God took animal skins to cover them. There is a bit of a mystery here. Yet we know with certainty that God revealed 'leaves' or the 'fruit of the ground' as insufficient to cover mans sin.

So why would Cain want to kick against the pricks? He knew that God had given a right way to approach Him. He knew what that path was. God only expected Cain to walk in the revelation he had available. He did not ask him to be Melchezidek.

Cain rejected revelation. He rejected knowledge. We could read some things into this behavior, but suffice it to say that Cain was in rebellion. Cain divised his [i]own method[/i] of coming to God as if God was supposed to accept any ole' offering from Cain. He had totally hardened himself to his own sinfulness and God's holiness.

Unregenerate man is in no position to offer God 'gifts' as he/she is eternally and immeasurably indebted to God in the first place. That would be like bringing a birthday gift to your banker while in default on a trillion dollar loan. There is only one posture to present yourself when in that condition and that is for total obedience and utter humility and denial of self. The right response? "Your wish is my command." But this was NOT Cain's attitude. He expected God to [i]accept[/i] his silly offering as if he were doing God a service or something. But it was Cain's own mind and will that put together what was right in [i]Cain's[/i] eyes. This is Cain's will and not God's. This is the essense of 'soulishness'.

What about Abel? He did that which was accepted. Why? Because he responded [u]rightly[/u] to what God had revealed. What could be more simple than to say that genuine faith is simply responding rightly to God will and way? It is NOT faith to try to come to God some other way. He gave the method and we follow it.

By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh. Hebrews 11)

This is the nature of the ‘spiritual.’ Cain brought to God what was right in his own eyes (Judges 17:6). This is the nature of man operating from the soul or ‘soulishly’. Abel walking in the light that he was given. That is all God asks. We have to [i]believe[/i] God. Not whats right in my own eyes. But God's prescribed means and methods [i]alone[/i]. Nothing added and nothing taken away.

2006/5/22 8:15Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

SOUL AND SPIRIT

Our passage states that the word of God is able to distinguish between the [i]soul[/i] and the [i]spirit[/i]. This is a most interesting passage in that folk are not generally thinking in terms of spiritual and soulish. When we talk about the spirit of man we are talking about that faculty that allows him to be conscious of God and the leading of the Holy Spirit. It is that which allows him to worship in spirit and in truth.

This human spirit is [u]dead[/u] towards God in the unsaved and [u]alive[/u] to God in the regenerate. The soul of man is that part that contains the mind, will, and emotions. At the center of the soul is the [i]heart[/i], which is the seat of the affections. Simply put, we find man’s will being established within his/her soul, while man is made conscious of God’s will by the Holy Spirit and through our human spirit.

Remember our text, [i]For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit.[/i] It takes the word of God to make the distinction because the issue is one of profound difficulty. Yet, the distinction must be made in order that we learn to walk in the Spirit and [u]not[/u] according to our own will and imaginations.

2006/5/22 8:27Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

SPIRITUAL GUIDANCE

There is a great difference between ‘figuring something out’ with your own reasoning skills and [i]discerning[/i] the mind of God through Divine revelation. The reasoning faculty of man is resident in the soul. When man operates on this ‘level’ he/she does things that 'make sense' to the natural man.

Man has a mind with the ability to take into account known facts and make judgments based upon the information available. This is man using his/her ability to decide [u]apart[/u] from God. This is in complete contrast to the leading of the Spirit. Yet, many believers direct their lives based upon their own [i]understanding.[/i] They say they are trusting in God, but their whole life is directed by their own natural logic of what seems best.

We have a early 'glimpse' of what it means to walk in the Spirit from Proverbs 3:5, 6;

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

The word ‘lean’ in Hebrew means to ‘rest upon’ or [u]‘rely’[/u]. This passage is conveying a concept that is [u]not[/u] the same as making decisions based upon what [i]looks[/i] like the [i]sensible[/i] thing to do. The world makes decisions like that and they are spiritually dead. This passage is about trusting God with all your heart, leaning [u]NOT[/u] upon your own understanding, and in everything God is acknowledged. These are the three prerequisites for walking in the Spirit and making spiritual decisions. If we do that, we have done our part. Can you trust God to direct your paths or do you feel like you need to keep control? Are you making decisions based on your own "mind, will, and emotions?" What makes sense, what you want to do or some emotion ranging from anger and on and on? For those bent on God's leading, there is no need to micromanage God, he [u]shall[/u] direct thy paths.

2006/5/22 8:37Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

THINGS YOU [u]DON'T[/u] NEED TO PRAY ABOUT

If God has already spoken on a topic and the answer is clear from the word of God, there is no further need to pray for a [i]different[/i] answer. God will not lead a person contrary to His word. You can pray about stealing something all you want, and God will still call it theft. You can pray about adultery all you want, but God still calls it wickedness. You can pray about covetousness all you want, and when you get up it will still be idolatry.

Prayer does [u]not[/u] change God’s word. And this is the crux of our subject, where is the prayer originating from? In the soul or the spirit? Is it man’s will or God’s will? In genuine prayer the Holy Spirit is leading a person through their human spirit to pray the will of God be done (Luke 11:2). In ‘soulish’ prayer there is a wish list that is [u]un[/u]anointed, based upon the desires of the heart of the person [i]apart[/i] from God. This is why we must pray until we 'touch God'. Tozer called it "praying until you PRAY."

If God puts the desire in your heart that is one thing, but when prayer and direction from God is sought in such a way as to bring man’s will to pass, God is [i]not[/i] glorified and most of the prayer is in vain. Why? Because you have not prayed until you can say, “THY will be done.” C.S. Lewis is to have said once that prayer does not change God, prayer changes us. There is a lot of truth in that saying. Do you pray with the intent on changing God as if you have a better and most acceptable method or way than His? Would it not be wise to accept the will of an all knowing and loving God as being the best possible route we could possibly take?

What if God had FULL control of a person's life? What if they were utterly dead to their own will? What if God's will was done in our lives as it is done in Heaven?

2006/5/22 9:06Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

GAINING DIRECTION FROM GOD

Most bad decisions are made by Christians because they did not truly seek God’s will in prayer. This is often rooted in an absence of a personal relationship with God. Not having a real 'revelation' of who God is, they want God to sign off on their plans, rather than their signing off on His.

A right understanding or apprehension of God will have a profound effect on our behavior. I often say that what we often need is a fresh revelation of God. God began revealing Himself to Israel through Moses as He desired to lead them from Egypt. They were given instructions on how to wait on the Lord (as it were) as they had not yet had a revelation of Him that would enable them to rightly relate to Him. This was about to change during the first Passover.

Our lifestyle should be such that we are ‘standing’ as Israel when they were consuming the Passover in Egypt. This was a taught behavior for them, but should be our very nature as the regenerate who have had a personal experience with God.

And thus shall ye eat it; with your loins girded, your shoes on your feet, and your staff in your hand; and ye shall eat it in haste: it is the LORD's Passover (Exodus 12:11).

This is a people awaiting 'marching orders' from God. This should be the [i]posture[/i] of our hearts. There should be a ‘readiness’ to do the will of God, not just because of what God has done for us, but because of who He is. It is 'logical' or 'reasonable' to present ourselves to the Lord as a living sacrifice; but more than that, because of the consciousness of God which we have, we should have a persistent attitude of reverencial awe and submission to Him.

You will notice that they had “done all” and were standing (Ephesians 6). We need to have ourselves ready to abandon all and do God's will. No obstructions, weights or sins. No incumberances, but an “instant in season and out of season readiness”. This means a readiness to manifest the person of Jesus Christ in every situation. This is constant denial of ‘self’.

When ‘self’ shows up in the situation SIN is lying at the door (Genesis 4:7). Satan, as we have mentioned in previous studies is always faithful to suggest that we ‘pity’ ourselves; but Jesus said we must [u]utterly[/u] deny ourselves (Matthew 16). This is the same Greek word as used in Peter’s denial. This is a picture of how we ought to deny ourselves.

How did Peter 'disown' the Lord? In so much that he went out and wept bitterly. He realized that he had denied the Lord in the way he was commanded the Lord to deny HIMSELF. What a picture! This is no mere coincidence. You will find that the only place that this specific Greek word is used is for denial of 'self' and Peter's denial of Christ. We are left to reckon with what it means to 'utterly' deny ourselves, take up our cross and follow Him.

2006/5/22 11:41Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

PRESUMPTION OR GOD'S WILL?

We must make a distinction here and observe what soulishness really is. This is 'that' which originates in the soul of man, rather than the Heart of God. Ideas, plans, and schemes are often the result of man’s strategies, rather than God direction. Anything we do for the Lord, must have the Lord as its source. It has to begin in the heart of God or we are no different than Cain.

This does NOT mean that we sit idle and wait for instructions; we already have 'marching orders'. As Ron Bailey has said, "God should never have to speak more than once. If He speaks the second time it is definitely grace that allowed it." We are taught in Proverbs the means of rearing a child properly. God is not like many parents who talk and talk and threaten and threaten their kids; God will use the rod of correction without hesitation if it is in order. Anything else would [i]spoil[/i] His child. God cannot allow us to get into the habit of disobedience or even 'delayed' obedience. The will of God must needs be carried out in us as it is in Heaven. That is lightening fast obedience. This is not lingering and weighing the options.

So what are we to do? Are we not to wait for the ‘call’? Every Christian is called; but few [i]Trust in the LORD with all their heart; and lean not unto their own understanding. In all their ways acknowledge him, and He directs their paths.[/i] Many hide behind the whole ‘call’ thing. They say they have no 'burden' for ministry. As if they were waiting on God to call. The very same people will get up in the morning and brush their teeth and wash their face of their own volition with [i]no need[/i] for permission from God. They only seek permission if it is God’s work. Can we reasonably conduct ourselves like this and suspect it is being led of the Spirit?

Some of the most spiritual things you will ever do as a Christian is that which you were not specifically ‘called’ to do. (G.W. North). God needs a people with their loins girded, prayed up, packed up, willing and ready to step into the path He is directing them into. This is a conscious readiness to walk in the path God sets before them. The trouble people get into is that they have [u]not[/u] trusted in the LORD with [u]all[/u] their heart; and [u]leaned not[/u] unto their own understanding. In all their ways acknowledged him, so that he SHALL or 'will' direct their paths. Soulishness is refusal to do the afore mentioned three prerequisite things and then attempting to do [i]anything[/i] for God. It is a most simple truth of scripture. Call it presumption or strange fire, but we must live by Proverbs 3: 5, 6 as an active posture of the heart or we will have one or the other.

We have to learn to follow Christ. We have to let Him lead, but this is more like 'merging' into the flow of God's will than looking for a 'green light'. As we are walking He directs our steps. It is more complicated than this, but it is not, really. This is the foundation of our walk with Him.

2006/5/22 11:59Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

EVERY THING TO GOD IN PRAYER

Can man alone build Christ’s Church? What does the scripture say? [i]And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it[/i] (Matthew 16:18).

The gates of hell will not prevail against the Church that Christ builds, but surely it will prevail the ‘church’ man builds. Imagine going about to build a building without a [i]total disposition[/i] to build according to the Owner’s plans? Your work is [u]your[/u] work. That which we do under [i]His direction[/i] is His work. His materials, blueprints and staff.

Where does this process begin? Proverbs 3:5, 6;

Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

This is [u]not[/u] making decisions based upon what looks like the 'sensible' thing to do. This is trusting God with all your heart, leaning NOT upon your own understanding, and in [u]everything[/u] God is acknowledged. Did God mean what He said or do we look for another method? He has siad that if we do these three things He 'shall' direct thy paths.

This principal is as old as the Old Testament and is a timeless as any principal in scripture. This didn't go out of date with the New Covenant. When we sincerely trust God in faith that He is going to direct our path, we have to be ready to [i]disregard[/i] our own understanding. We have to be ready to do things that seem like utter [u]nonsense[/u] at times. Did it make sense to dip an infection ridden body into a river 7 times for healing? Did it make sense to pour water into water pots in hope of having wine? That none should glory in His presence, we are left to follow Christ in faith.

We have to be ready to follow the Lamb whethersoever He goeth. We have to be ready to trust God with our whole lives. The Bible is loaded with such accounts of God leading people according to Proverb’s 3:5, 6. It is when man began to look to their own sensibility that God’s displeasure fell on the people. When David numbered Israel or the children of Israel looked on the outward appearance. We don't know the facts or even the multitude of variables involved. More than that, we don't know the will of God unless we seek His face and walk in the revelation He has given.

2006/5/23 14:33Profile
RobertW

St. Joseph, Missouri

Re:

WITHOUT FAITH IT IS IMPOSSIBLE TO PLEASE THE LORD

We walk by faith and not by sight (II Corinthians 5:7). Faith cometh by hearing and hearing by the word of God. When God says we [u]can[/u], we [u]can[/u] and we [u]must[/u]. Here we read;

And, behold, thy cousin Elisabeth, she hath also conceived a son in her old age: and this is the sixth month with her, who was called barren. For with God nothing shall be impossible (Luke 1:36, 37).

Literally the Greek states, no word from God is [i]void[/i] of power. This is a powerful truth! When Jesus came walking on the water, all of Peter’s sensibility told him to stay put in the boat. But, with one word from Jesus, [u]“Come!”[/u] There was inherent in that word the power to carry out the task. No need to argue about whether one can or cannot obey the Lord; when God speaks we can perform what He asked (para R.B).

The question is, will we believe God or our lying eyes? Truth is not what is perceived by the natural senses- it is what God says. Peter did not lean upon his own understanding, he disregarded the ‘logical’ for the [i]revelation[/i]. This can be dangerous also for folk. They are ready to step out when they have not really heard from God. Some may say, "Peter stepped out- so can I!?" Often their plans are contrary to the word of God.

But there is something to be said to returning to a conscious dependency on God to provide for all our need. Many believers have so fortified themselves against any real need for faith in God that God has to orchestrate situations where they have to trust Him by faith. We have become so self-sufficient that we don’t even need to pray before service or anything else for that matter. We have the talent and ability to pull it off- with or without direction from God. So we think.

2006/5/24 8:22Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy