See Opportunities to Serve with SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Scriptures and Doctrine : trees

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
PosterThread
roadsign

Re: an author's intentions

Quote:
i think the words of john coltrane make a lot of sence here he once said "if no one came and saw me play i would still play" it was his life

maybe thats the same with christians maybe some are only interested when there's trimmings,gifts,power etc..

This is a good parallel. I remember one day when God clearly instructed me to play a “concert” for him. I was reluctant because it seemed a bit crazy. Not only that, the music was hard, and not the kind of stuff I play in church. But he was really trying to get through the barriers of my thick skull that my entire life was to be lived out for him. He is my most important audience at all times.

God does not “reward” us with fleshly gratifications, and that is what we must be willing to surrender. He, does however reward us with eternal blessings – primarily fellowship with him.

Quote:
so many answer's to one verse none wrong but maybe just what God wants u to gleam from it for that time..of course beside its fundamental truth..

This is what’s so awesome about God’s word. It can be very personal as well as apply to entire nations and even to eternal dimensions.

Yet, I feel urged to insert one tiny bit of caution here:

Suppose you write a letter about your thoughts and intentions, and then you pass copies around to all your friends. They read their letters and then discuss among themselves what the words could mean. They all have different ideas and are delighted with their creative imaginations. But….. just suppose …. No one comes back to you and asks YOU what YOU meant by those words. What if they really don’t care what you think? What if they end up painting a picture of you in their minds that doesn't resemble who you really are or what you meant by your words?

As you say, there is fundamental truth. However, we human creatures have a tendency to tiptoe off the path and run after our creative imaginings.

Keep looking up.
Diane

2006/4/4 8:31Profile

Re:

hi diane i agree, its like ml jones says theres always a danger when you go to the bible with ur ideas formed and make the bible fit them,instead of the other way round..
andy

2006/4/4 16:04

Re:

hi all,i was tryin to get some sleep and i started to think about this tree thread..

what do u think about this..

the flesh lag's behind?

the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak? is it possible though Jesus prayed for him,part of the blind mans flesh clung to the world,trees in the garden etc..
i dont want to see more then's there,love ur responses thks
andy

2006/4/6 22:22
roadsign

Re: help me overcome my unbelief

Hi, Prayerbone, you present lots to great thoughts to consider!

Quote:
the spirit is willing but the flesh is weak?

This reminds me of when the father brought his demon-possessed son to Jesus' disciples, who "could" not drive out the spirit. They father later told Jesus, "I asked your disciples to drive out the spirit, but they could not." Mk 9:18

We, like the disciples, struggle with a flesh (natural disposition) that holds us back from radical faith.

The father said to Jesus, "But if you can, take pity on us, and help us."

"If you can? said Jesus, Everything is possible for him who believes" Immediately the boy's father exclaimed, "I do believe, help me overcome my unbelief" Mk 9:24

Perhaps, he was saying, I know you can do it, Lord, just free me from my fleshly weakness to fully accept it.
Quote:
is it possible though Jesus prayed for him, part of the blind mans flesh clung to the world,trees in the garden etc..

I think it is important to remember that it was this blind man's friends who brought him to Jesus. So, he was really riding on the back of THEIR faith. He still had to overcome his scepticism and doubt - before he could really SEE what Christ had done for him. He had to make his faith HIS OWN.

Blurred vision, seeing what's not there, or seeing what we expect to see is a common human weakness. The flesh is weak. So are our eyes.

Another point: It is easy to ride on the back of the faith of others, and THINK that we ourselves own that faith. But we will never fully see until we embrace and own our own faith - and walk in it.

Again, I caution: It does not help to whip ourselves on this issue. Our Lord is compassionate with our struggle to overcome our unbelief. He draws us to himself through the circumstances of our lives. Even our failures help point us back to him - IF we are willing to see it that way.

... that our faith may grow and become OUR reality.

Diane

2006/4/7 8:05Profile
roadsign

Re: judging with good eye sight

Quote:
Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way. Rom 14:13

Ye judge after the flesh; I judge no man.
And yet if I judge, my judgment is true: for I am not alone, but I and the Father that sent me.
Joh 8:15-16

In keeping with the theme of SEEING, it may be fitting to point out here that we are constantly judging (discerning), constantly evaluating what we see. That is not bad, but rather very necessary, and very biblical.

The trouble is that when we have blurred and fuzzy vision, we will misjudge. We will not see what actually is there. That applies to the fruit of people – their words, actions, and behaviors. Spiritually bad eyesight will cause us to see fuzzy green trees when there may very well be good fruit. Or we may see what looks good, but be merely a thin veneer of self-righteousness and pride.
Quote:
We should be looking for fruit and if it is good or bad.

Yes we should, and we sure need good eyesight for this. May God overcome our unbelief, so that we can see through the eyes of Christ. He said, “And yet if I judge, my judgment is true”
And Christ always sees through the eyes of mercy, not condemnation. Christ always extends a way out – out of one’s bondage to sin or one's struggle with unbelief.

“…but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way”
It was the Pharisees’ unbelief that caused them to erect all kinds of stumblingblocks so that people could not SEE the things of Christ and what he could do for them.

The blind man’s friends brought him to Jesus. The Pharisees never did. Instead they just destined the poor man to a life of perpetual blindness. That is what unbelief does. It cannot see hope and it cannot give hope to anyone.

Quote:
Let us not therefore judge one another any more: but judge this rather, that no man put a stumblingblock or an occasion to fall in his brother's way

Since this was posted by our mod in response to the "fruit" thought, it may be appropriate to make a practical application here: Do our posts erect up stumbling blocks, or do they pave a clear highways towards Christ - his love and mercy? Do our words foster faith or do they produce discouragement?

May God help us to see others as Christ sees them.
Diane

2006/4/7 9:30Profile

Re:

mannn awsome stuff diane..i was readin ur site one piece really interested me there,about people thinkin there saved etc and God says i dont know u wowee scary thought huh..if u think ur safe how do u discover ur not??..

ur post really touched a raw spot with me!..i do live off other's faith..the word says tie a new donkey to a older one it teaches him,but there still (((both))) walkin..but ur right the danger is in livin through someone else faith but not walkin at the same time!
i know i do that i so expected to have this bammmmmmmm..(as a young teenager)"wowee this will be great are be just like nicky saved fearless brave yipee everything i am not now",but u know how thats goes feelingggg grrrrr cant live with em cant live without em lol...
andy

wowee i say wowee a lot and i guess i say guess a lot lol

2006/4/7 10:22
roadsign

Re: having our own faith

Hi, Andy,
I appreciate your raw honesty, and no doubt God does too:

Quote:
people thinkin there saved etc and
God says i dont know u
wowee scary thought huh.
.if u think ur safe how do u discover ur not??..

If you think you’re safe, you AREN’T going to try to find out if it is true or not. If you are deceived and want to remain that way, you wouldn’t want to know the truth, because it wouldn’t seem right.
Quote:
how do u discover ur not

Simple. Just ask. This is God’s job to tell you, and he is most capable of letting you know. After all he is NOT WILLING THAT ANY PERISH.
There is a lot in the Bible that helps make it clear for us. Just read and read, and and ask and ask.
And pray:
Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts.
See if there is any offensive way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting Ps. 199:23, 24

And then trust that he will do his job - and can do it very well. He won't let you down.
Quote:
ur post really touched a raw spot with me!..i do live off other's faith..

I remember many years ago going on a missions trip to the remote jungle interior of Suriname to visit a mission work. There were many dangers along the way, huge, snakes, piranha in the water, spiders, disease, cannibals, etc. As long as the missionary was nearby I felt safe. I trusted in his faith - not mine. That experience opened my eyes to the fact that I was depending on a the faith of a lot of people.
Quote:
the word says tie a new donkey to a older one
it teaches him, but there still (((both))) walkin..

I think God respects the reality that our faith must develop. And walking with those who have deep faith can help us move along in our journey. It also helps us see faith modelled to us.

Quote:
but ur right the danger is in livin through someone else faith but not walkin at the same time!

There comes the time when mama bird pushes her wee ones out of the nest, and they have to learn to fly at some point before they hit the ground. It’s scary when our heavenly Father says to us: “It’s time to grow up, and he nudges us out of the nest”. We panic when our secure footing is pulled out from under us. But at some point we have to learn to spread out our wings and sail on the wind of the Spirit.

Quote:
cant live with em cant live without em

This makes me chuckle. In all honesty, such a thought may expose our secret dependencies – ones we are not willing to let go.

Quote:
i so expected to have this bammmmmmmm..(as a young teenager)"wowee this will be great

We may not feel any great wowee, esp while we are wide-eyed with terror, staring at the bottomless pit below us. But it is all an important part of the growing-up process – growing into mature faith. Anyway, we can’t depend on wowee’s to get us through in the long run. We can only depend on him. It is a quiet, stable faith that is unshakeable no matter what’s going on around us.

Quote:
everything i am not now",

Where would you like to be, and what are you doing about it?
Diane

2006/4/7 13:42Profile

Re:

sorry double post andy

2006/4/7 14:12
roadsign

Re: Are you serious?

I asked,

Quote:
"Where would you like to be, and what are you doing about it?"

Prayerbone responded:
Quote:
stamping my feet sayin u do something fisrt b4 i do it..u make the bible interesting b4 i read it lol on and on..

I hate to say this, but this does not seem like the response one would give who is hungry for answers. You will never find the treasure Christ has to offer unless you are willing to sink in with all you got.

Are you?
Quote:
the threads not called GB

I don't know what you mean by this.

Prayerbone, I saw the thread you just posted, but I did not understand your reason for it.

I wouldn't mind continuing dialogue on this thread, if you would do what you can to help me understand your messages more easily. Perhaps if you make a new line for each new sentence. Also it is important to me that you are very serious about developing a relationship with the Lord. Otherwise, I am no help to you whatsoever. And neither is anyone here.

Wha'dya think?

Diane

2006/4/7 17:29Profile

Re:

haha sorry diane i ment the new thread's not called GB sister,was a joke...

i think my new threads got me in trouble lol..i get a smart mouth around christian sometimes, maybe i'm bitter outside looking in or happy outside lookin in not sure...

one line at a time lol i type like i talk its really bad habbit..

hmmm interesting ur the second person on here implying i'm not serious....well spend 25 years askin God to change u begging in fact,to end up feelin like ur talking to the ceiling and u might come across a little cynical to

wowee its been fun take care
andy

2006/4/7 17:39

©2002-2021 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Genuine Biblical Revival.
Affiliate Disclosure | Privacy Policy