SermonIndex Audio Sermons
SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : General Topics : Early Church Service vs American Church Service

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
PosterThread
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re:

nacl,
Thank you. Thank you for your comments and for posting the two pieces. Of if the church in America could only catch this. Yes there are many home meetings, but they have not escaped the Greek/romanistic hierachy. They have not entered into a Christ centered and Christ led body of believers.
I've been in the good meetings and I've been in some that were not so special. But we must strive to break the mold of orthodox church and enter into a living and Spirit led body.
What really blesses my soul is that we as Americans want to participate. To do so in the Body participant church will demand a more personal and living relationship with our God. It is a win/win plan instituted by the Holy
Spirit through Christ and the apostles. It's the way God designed it, and I must believe, it is the only way God will infill it.
Few churches today have ICABOD over the door. Because for God to have departed implies that He was once there. Many so called churches today have never had God there, not even once. They don't even suspect what that may be like.
Oh I would that every member of SI would read the above articles and take them to heart, take them to the Body of Christ, and lets see true revival. Glory be to God on High.

the least of all since Paul,

Onesimus4god

2006/4/4 0:00Profile

Re:

I would recommend getting your hands on some books by Frank Viola.. excellent stuff.

http://www.ptmin.org/

His books include:

Rethinking The Will of God: A New Look at an Old Subject

The Untold Story of the New Testament Church: An Extraordinary Guide to Understanding the New Testament

Knowing Christ Together

Rethinking The Wineskin

Who is Your Covering

Pagan Christianity (my personal favorite...)

So You Want To Start A House Church

From Nazareth to Patmos

Straight Talk To Elders

I have read some of these books, and Frank is right on the money. I would recommend his books to anyone who has noticed that there seems to be little in common between what we call "church" today, and what the church was in the first century.

Krispy

2006/4/4 7:34
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re:

I would recommend you read this:

www.awildernessvoice.com/ConferKingdom.html

"I confer on you a kingdom"

It just does not get any better than this. If we keep on doing what we've always done, we'll keep on getting what we've always gotten. I am not looking for something new, but something old. 2000 years old. I'm looking for life in Jesus with the communion of His saints and Jesus as the head.

Thousands were added to the early church the first week. This means that they were added to the body of Christ, not some neo-church organization that is nothing more than a man centered social club of religious contentment. Yes we have some really big churches in this country and in others as well. Most are not Christ centered by are man centered. All that is said and done focus on one central figure, the pastor. Pastors hold an iron clutch on everything and there is little room, if any, for God.
You read the above piece, and I guarantee you, you'll be changed forever...for the good. I thank God that He loved me enough,and the authors enough to bless me with this. It ties up all the loose ends for me, and solidifies what God has been speaking to me for the last 15 years or more. Praise God.

immersed in Jesus and hidden in Him,

Onesimus4God

2006/4/4 8:51Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Great posts nacl. I really enjoyed them, and passed them on to my pastor who has seen the light of having open services, but is quite unsure of how to move us out of the "traditional" model, of which we are pretty well steeped in. If you have any recommended books on the subject of an open meeting (preferably stuff not written by Frank Viola), I'd love to check them out.

2006/4/4 11:01Profile
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re:

What's wrong with Frank Viola. I have not read any of his books, just want to know?

"O"

2006/4/4 11:21Profile
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

Frank Viola has some good things to say no doubt, but frankly (pun not intended), I found his writings to be rather shallow and short-sighted, with as little biblical basis to what he says as the criticisms he levies against the "institutional" church. Frankly, I find him to be a schismatic, and in my opinion, his writings mostly appeal to fellow schismatics. He seems to write as an ax grinder to fellow ax grinders. Edification does not seem to be his true aim. I suggest if you read his books, which do contain some good insights nevertheless, read them critically.

2006/4/4 12:25Profile
nacl

Babylon

Re: praise the Lord!!!

Thanks for the feedback, guys.

Hallelujah! Many are beginning to see the light concerning the state of our churches. I praise God that your pastor is coming around, KingJimmy.

The awildernessvoice.com website is a great one. Plenty of good stuff to check out there.

Another wonderful resource that I just love is http://beyondcamp.net Be advised that most of the articles are fairly long, but Tom Lamb (a dear brother) has experienced true freedom in our Lord. His website is sooo deep, yet sooo simple, but most importantly, everything is Bible-based (I have never seen anything like his article on the Calvinist-Arminian debate, "Obedience, freewill, and the sovereignty of God "). If you guys have a couple of minutes to read, I beg you to check it out; you won't regret it. Tom also is good at responding to emails.

Sorry, I am rambling again. Be blessed in your walk with Christ today!

Your fellow-stranger and -pilgrim,
D.

2006/4/4 12:53Profile
Onesimus4God

Cyber Space

Re:

Hi,
Thanks for the tip on "beyondcamp". I the testimony and it was very good. I printed out the other article there I wanted to read. After I'm done, I hope to respong to our dear NZ brother. Thanks again for the referal.
Thank you KingJimmy for the frank input, pun intended. God bless you this day.

Immersed in Him,

Onesimus4God

2006/4/4 21:23Profile

Re:

Quote:
Frank Viola has some good things to say no doubt, but frankly (pun not intended), I found his writings to be rather shallow and short-sighted, with as little biblical basis to what he says as the criticisms he levies against the "institutional" church.

I found that to be partly true. I think for the most part the books I read were well founded Biblically, and extremely well documented. Pagan Christianity in particular.

Quote:
Frankly, I find him to be a schismatic, and in my opinion, his writings mostly appeal to fellow schismatics. He seems to write as an ax grinder to fellow ax grinders.

Since I recommended his books I guess I need to ask... do you see me as a schismatic or an axe grinder?

Quote:
Edification does not seem to be his true aim.

I dont know that we can judge his motivations or his heart. We're supposed to apply this to Benny Hinn... why not Frank Viola?

Quote:
I suggest if you read his books, which do contain some good insights nevertheless, read them critically.

Agreed... and in other threads where I have recommended his books I made the same statement. He does at times come across as having a chip on his shoulder. But that doesnt take away from the insight he has on the topic. In fact, I would recommend that we all read every book critically.

Krispy

2006/4/5 13:06
KingJimmy

Charlotte, NC

Re:

nacl,

I was wondering where this Dene McGriff might reside at? My pastor is very interested in an open service, and would like to personally see a meeting of a church where such was the norm. We are hoping we can find a church in the greater Charlotte, NC area that this happens at.

2006/4/5 16:40Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy