JACOB BICKS was born in Leyden, in the year 1657. He was visited with sickness upon the 6th of August, 1664. In his distemper he was very sleepy till near his death, but when he did awake he was wont still to fall a praying.
2. Once when his parents had prayed with him, they asked him if they should once more send for the physician? |No,| said he, |I will have the doctor no more; the Lord will help me; I know he will take me to himself.|
3. When his parents had prayed with him, he said, |Come, now, dear father and mother, and kiss me: I know that I shall die. Farewell, dear father and mother; farewell, dear sister; farewell, all. Now shall I go unto God and Jesus Christ, and the holy angels. Father, know you not what is said by Jeremiah? 'Blessed is he who trusteth in the Lord.' Now I trust in him, and he will bless me; and in 1 John ii, it is said, 'Little children, love not the world, for the world passeth away.'|
4. |Away then all that is in the world, away with all my pleasant things in the world; away with my dagger, for where I go there is nothing to do with daggers and swords; men shall not fight there, but praise God. Away with all my books: there shall I learn true wisdom without books.|
5. His father said, |My dear child, the Lord will be near thee, and uphold thee.|
6. |Yea, father,| said he, |the Apostle Peter saith, 'God resisteth the proud, but he giveth grace to the humble.' I humble myself under the mighty hand of God, and he shall help me and lift me up.|
7. |O, my dear child,| said his father, |hast thou so strong faith?|
8. |Yes,| said he, |God hath given me so strong a faith in himself through Jesus Christ, that the devil shall flee from me: for it is said, He who believeth in the Son hath everlasting life, and he hath overcome the wicked one. Now I believe in Jesus Christ my Redeemer, and he will not leave nor forsake me, but shall give unto me eternal life, and then I shall sing, Holy, holy, holy, is the Lord of Sabaoth.|
Then, with that word, |Lord, be merciful unto me a poor sinner,| he quietly breathed out his soul, being about seven years old.