D. L. Moody, who is perhaps the most popular and efficient preacher of the gospel of Christ in the world, to-day, is evidently fully committed to a belief in the speedy coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, to judge the world and establish his eternal kingdom. Looking over the published reports of his sermons in Great Britain and in this country, since the beginning of 1874, I give extracts which go to show in a plain light the man's inner love and hope as relates to the last things, and his warm, bold, consistent manner of expressing the same. Thousands pray, God bless D. L. Moody.
1. Mr. Moody proclaims that the grand symbols of Daniel's, second and seventh chapters, announce four dominant world empires, and but four, to cover all centuries of human probation.
2. That these kingdoms are and were Babylon, Medo-Persia, Greece and Rome.
3. That these have had their day of earthly supremacy and the last has nearly passed away.
4. That the fifth kingdom of Daniel is God's, to come in its order as the fifth, to overthrow all previous kingdoms, to be a visible and eternal kingdom, and to be established by Christ in person at his second coming.
5. That the stone cut from the mountain denotes |Christ himself,| |at his appearing and kingdom,| whose advent |is not far distant,| and for whose advent |the whole creation groans.| Rom.8:19-22.
6. That the last days, described by our Saviour in Matt.24:37-39 as resembling the days of Lot and Noah, are already here; observing, |I do not think the day is far distant when our Lord will return.| And again, |just as judgment overtook Belshazzar carousing at his feast, so will judgment come suddenly and swiftly upon the world revelling in its sins.|
* * * * *
The foregoing he preached in the City Hall, Glasgow, March 15th, 1874, before three thousand people. On the same day he preached on |Christ's Second Coming| in the Free church (Pres.), telling the churches that every thirtieth verse in the New Testament bears on that glorious coming; and says the London Christian, |With his usual power he showed what a mighty motive this doctrine is to all who are winning souls. He himself had found it rousing him to ten-fold more effort to save all that could be rescued from the coming wreck.|
In Philadelphia, in a discourse on Daniel's second chapter, he said: |This dream has been nearly fulfilled as Daniel interpreted it. In the present age the prophecy is nearly completed, and the hour of the Lord's second coming is close at hand.| D. T. T.
* * * * *
PRICE BY MAIL 25 CENTS PER DOZEN, OR [USD]1.25 PER HUNDRED. Address all orders to I. C. Wellcome, Yarmouth, Me.
* * * * *