(Resp. -- Let the bodies rejoice which the Evil One had made naked, that in the water they have put on their glory!)
1. Give thanks, O daughter, that thy crownings have been doubled; -- for lo! thy temples and thy sons rejoice. -- The dedication of thy temples is in the ministration; -- The dedication of thy sons is in the anointing. -- Blessed art thou that at once...... -- ......the tabernacle for them that dwell in thee, -- and the Spirit has abode upon thy sons!
2. Our Lord opened up Baptism -- in the midst of Jordan the blessed river. -- The height and the depth rejoiced in Him; -- He brings forth the first fruits of His peace from the water, -- for they are first fruits, the fruits of Baptism. -- The good God in His compassion will bring to pass -- that His peace shall be first fruits on earth.
3. Moses stretched out the temporal Tabernacle; -- the priests bathed themselves in water, -- and went in and ministered; and were stricken and punished, -- because their heart within was not cleansed. -- Blessed art thou that in the Passover of the great Passion, -- the priests by the savour of their oblations, -- lo! are cleansing souls in thee!
4. Great was the mystery that the Prophet saw, -- the torrent that was mighty. -- Into its depths he gazed and beheld -- thy beauty instead of himself; thee it was he saw, for thy faith passes not away, -- thou whose flood unseen shall overwhelm -- the subtleties of idolatry.
5. Though John was great among them that are born of women, -- yet he that is little is greater than he, -- in this that his baptized were again baptized, -- in the baptism that was of the Apostles. -- Blessed art thou that thy priest is greater than he -- in this alone that forever -- abides his baptism.
6. The baptism that was of Siloam -- did not bring mercy to the man that was laid there -- who for thirty and eight years awaited it, -- for he was a respecter of the persons of the Levites. -- Blessed art thou that thy healing is in thee for all men, -- and thy priests are devoted and ready -- for all that are in need of thy help.
7. The Prophet healed the waters that were unwholesome, -- and cured the disease of the land that was barren, -- so that its death was done away and its region resounded, for its offspring increased and its bosom was filled. -- Greater is Thy grace, Lord, than Elisha's! -- Multiply my lambs and my flocks -- at the great stream of my fountain!
8. Great is the marvel that is within thy abode; -- the flocks together with the Shepherds, -- those at the stream of the waters, -- two unseen with one manifest who baptizes. -- Blessed is he who is baptized in their fountains! -- for three arms have upheld him, -- and three Names have preserved him!