SermonIndex - Promoting Revival to this Generation
Give To SermonIndex
Discussion Forum : Devotional Thoughts : Encouragement to prayer

Print Thread (PDF)

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
PosterThread
JoanM

Encouragement to prayer

I discovered Sermonindex last April and have been greatly encouraged – particularly in prayer. It has fallen out that I give an encouragement to prayer each week that is included in the weekly service bulletin. Attendance in corporate prayer increased very quickly. The direction and material for those encouragements have come from my week with our Lord (Bible study, prayer) and always include quotes from this site (posts and texts).

AbideinHim's devotional post today (The Authority of the Believer in Prayer and Intercession) is very much like what I offer each week to my fellowship. His post has encouraged me to offer back here a tiny bit of what God has provided through Sermonindex.

Men, particularly men that pray, are very much on the heart of God (it seems to me). For the first time in this 150 year-old congregational fellowship we are considering an Elder form of government. So I thought I would begin with two on that subject.

2009/3/21 12:01Profile
JoanM

Re: Encouragement to prayer

This section of our weekly bulletin insert is devoted to

[size=small][b]encouragement to prayer.[/b][/size]

[b]Purpose in Prayer – by E. M. Bounds[/b] (selection from Chapter VIII)

I desire, therefore, that the men pray in every place, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and disputing (I Timothy ii. 8).

Men are to pray; all men are to pray. Men, as distinguished from women, men in their strength in their wisdom. There is an absolute, specific command that the men pray; there is an absolute imperative necessity that men pray. The first of beings, man, should also be first in prayer.

The men are to pray for men. The direction is specific and classified. Just underneath we have a specific direction with regard to women. About prayer, its importance, wideness and practice the Bible here deals with the men in contrast to, and distinct from, the women. The men are definitely commanded, seriously charged, and warmly exhorted to pray. Perhaps it was that men were averse to prayer, or indifferent to it; it may be that they deemed it a small thing, and gave to it neither time nor value nor significance. But God would have all men pray, and so the great Apostle lifts the subject into prominence and emphases its importance.

For prayer is of transcendent importance. Prayer is the mightiest agent to advance God’s work. Praying hearts and hands only can do God’s work. Prayer succeeds when all else fails. Prayer has won great victories, and rescued, with notable triumph, God’s saints when every other hope was gone. Men who know how to pray are the greatest boon God can give to earth—they are the richest gift earth can offer heaven. Men who know how to use this weapon of prayer are God’s best soldiers. His mightiest leaders.

Praying men are God's chosen leaders. The distinction between the leaders that God brings to the front to lead and bless His people, and those leaders who owe their position of leadership to a worldly, selfish, unsanctified selection, is this, God's leaders are pre-eminently men of prayer. This distinguishes them as the simple, Divine attestation of their call, the seal of their separation by God. Whatever of other graces or gifts they may have, the gift and grace of prayer towers above them all. In whatever else they may share or differ, in the gift of prayer, they are one.

What would God's leaders be without prayer?

[b]E.M. Bounds (1835-1913)[/b] - [i]A Methodist minister used by God to write many books on prayer which have become classical works. His chief work is the book [u]Power Through Prayer[/u]. As a Chaplin in the Confederate States Army, he was taken prisoner in Franklin, Tennessee, where he was celebrated for leading spiritual revival primarily through prayer.[/i]

([b]02/01/09[/b] - Quotes from men and women of prayer.)

2009/3/21 12:16Profile
JoanM

Re: Encouragement to prayer.

[size=small][b]encouragement to prayer.[/b][/size]

[b]PURPOSE IN PRAYER – by E. M. Bounds[/b]
A continuation from 2/01/09 of Chapter 8: Praying Men

Praying men are God's chosen leaders. The distinction between the leaders that God brings to the front to lead and bless His people, and those leaders who owe their position of leadership to a worldly, selfish, unsanctified selection, is this, God's leaders are pre-eminently men of prayer. This distinguishes them as the simple, Divine attestation of their call, the seal of their separation by God. Whatever of other graces or gifts they may have, the gift and grace of prayer towers above them all. In whatever else they may share or differ, in the gift of prayer, they are one.

What would God's leaders be without prayer? Praying men are the safety of the Church from the materialism that is affecting all its plans and polity, and which is hardening the life-blood. The insinuation circulates as a secret, deadly poison that the Church is not so dependent on purely spiritual forces as it used to be—that changed times and changed conditions have brought it out of its spiritual straits and dependencies and put it where other forces can bear it to its climax. A fatal snare of this kind has allured the Church into worldly embraces, dazzled her leaders, weakened her foundations, and shorn her of much of her beauty and strength. Praying men are the saviours of the Church from this material tendency. They pour into it the original spiritual forces, lift it off the sand-bars of materialism, and press it out into the ocean depths of spiritual power. Praying men keep God in the Church in full force; keep His hand on the helm, and train the Church in its lessons of strength and trust.

“A MAN CAN NOT lead others where he is not willing to go himself. Therefore, beware of the prayerless church leader who no longer readily admits his own need for more of the person and power of Jesus Christ. Only a seeking, praying heart can truly encourage spiritual HUNGER in others!" – [b]David Smithers[/b]

“All hell is vanquished when the believer bows his knees in importunate supplication. Beloved brethren, let us pray. We cannot all argue, but we can all pray; we cannot all be leaders, but we can all be pleaders; we cannot all be mighty in rhetoric, but we can all be prevalent in prayer. I would sooner see you eloquent with God than with men. Prayer links us with the Eternal, the Omnipotent, the Infinite, and hence it is our chief resort. . . Be sure that you are with God, and then you may be sure that God is with you.”—[b]Charles Spurgeon[/b]

[b]David Smithers[/b]- [i]A Church historian that has a passion to see revival that will send out missionaries in this generation. Founded a ministry awakeandgo.com where you can access more of his writings.[/i]

([b]03/29/09[/b]: Quotes from men and women of prayer.)

2009/3/21 12:35Profile
Lordoitagain

Monroe, LA - USA

WOW! I had just written a post encouraging saints to pray: "How is your bank account?", and I saw this post. God is telling His people: PRAY! PRAY! PRAY! That is where the victory is.

Sometimes all of the current events that are so alarming can be a smokescreen that Satan uses to divert us from our REAL and lasting work of prayer. While it is certainly wise to prepare for the possibility of bad times to come (go to the ant), our PRIMARY WORK is prayer:

1 Timothy 2:1  ¶I exhort therefore, that,[b][size=medium]first of all[/size][/b], supplications, prayers, intercessions, and giving of thanks, be made for all men;

2009/3/21 13:20Profile
JoanM

Re: First things first

Amen Brother Michael, [b]First of All[/b].

And isn't wonderful to see how the Holy Spirit of God moves even on a web-site? I am thinking that a [u]Spirit of prayer[/u] may well come to the Body of Christ in the US, Canada, UK and others.

And real repentance (and revival) will not be far behind that.

Greg had a very sobering post on the value of a soul, asking what do we trade for that, hours of television, a third cell phone, etc. It fits also with what do we trade for time with God and intercession.

Where does that burning burden for souls come from? How does it burst into flame?

Yours for revival
JoanM

2009/3/21 21:57Profile
JoanM

[b][size=small]encouragement to pray “One Little Hour.”[/size][/b]

[b]Selections from Leonard Ravenhill on Prayer and two comments[/b].

“How does that old Hymn go? 'Go to dark Gethsemane, ye who feel the tempters power, Your redeemer's conflict see and watch with him [u]one little hour[/u]. Turn now from the world away. Learn with Jesus Christ to pray.'

“[u]As Jesus prayed the Holy Spirit descend upon Him and God spoke[/u]: 'Now when all the people were baptized, it came to pass, that Jesus also being baptized, and praying, the heaven was opened, And the Holy Ghost descended in a bodily shape like a dove upon him, and a voice came from heaven, which said, Thou art my beloved Son; in thee I am well pleased.' (Luke 3:21-22). [u]Jesus prayed all night before He chose the twelve[/u]: 'And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God. And when it was day, he called [unto him] his disciples: and of them he chose twelve, whom also he named apostles;' (Luke 6:12-13). [u]As Jesus prayed He was transfigured[/u]: 'And as he prayed, the fashion of his countenance was altered, and his raiment [was] white [and] glistering.' (Luke 9:28-29). [u]Jesus prayed facing the the hour and the cause for which He came[/u]: 'Now is my soul troubled; and what shall I say? Father, save me from this hour: but for this cause came I unto this hour.' … 'And they came to a place which was named Gethsemane: and he saith to his disciples, Sit ye here, while I shall pray.' (John 12: 27; Mark 14:32).

“[u]He asked His closest disciples to pray, but they could not[/u]: 'Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation: the spirit indeed [is] willing, but the flesh [is] weak.' …. 'And he cometh, and findeth them sleeping, and saith unto Peter, Simon, sleepest thou? couldest not thou watch one hour?' ( Math 26: 41; Mark 14:37).”

[b]Comments[/b]: Does it break your heart that not even His closest disciples could pray with Him? Much has changed since then. The life in His blood payed the price for our sin. God raised Him and seated Him on the Throne in the heavenlies. There, “He ever liveth to make intercession for them [us]” [Hebrews 7:25]. May we lay hold of the resurrection truth that He is at the Throne, interceding for us, His body in this fellowship. And we are indwelt by the Holy Spirit who helps our prayer infirmities [Romans 8:26]. [u]Now every minute that we pray, we pray with Him[/u]. Praise God! “Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.” [Hebrews 4:16]. Oh that we would join Him now “one little hour.”

Consider how God looks on this: “In Acts 9: 11, the argument that God [the Lord] used to quiet the fears and convince Ananias of Paul’s condition and sincerity is the epitome of his [Paul] history, the solution of his life and work: '[u]Behold he prayeth[/u].'” - [b]E.M. Bounds[/b], [i]Purpose in Prayer: Chapter 8[/i] .

([b]04/05/09[/b]: Quotes from men and women of prayer.)

2009/3/31 0:05Profile
JoanM

Re:Encouragement to Prayer

[size=small][b]Encouragement to Prayer[/size][/b]

“My flesh and my heart faileth: but God is the strength of my heart, and my portion forever.” [b]Psalms 73:26[/b]

“Prayer comes to its own; enters into its lawful heritage of mighty power only with men who have reached the end of themselves and are clinging to God. Power in prayer did not come to Jacob while he strove in his own strength, but when he clung in his own helplessness. “What poor humans are we, that God must needs let us be driven into the stress of necessity and helplessness because in no other way can he constrain us to betake ourselves to prayer to Him! Yet it is even so. Do we pray when the wind is a-beam, the skies fair, and our ship running free before the breeze? Nay, but when the mast is overboard, the rudder gone, and the ship in the trough-then we pray. Do we pray when our loved ones are in prosperity, health, and strength? Nay, but when the sober-faced physician shakes his head, and says he has done all he can, and death’s shadow settles down over the chamber of a precious one-then we pray. Strength is self-reliant and thinks it needs no God. But weakness is driven to God-reliance and there learns the secrets of the prayer life. Helplessness begets dependence- dependence leads to prayer; and prayer brings power. Out of our own insufficiency into God’s sufficiency, by the pathway of prayer, is the secret of power. Wherefore self-strength may be worse than weakness. For the weak man learns to cling and pray. But the strong one stays self-centered and misses God.

"It is not your prayer which moves God to save you. On the contrary, your prayer is a result of the fact that Jesus has knocked at your heart's door and told you that He desires to gain access to your needs. You think that everything is closed to you because you cannot pray. My friend, your helplessness is the very essence of prayer.... Helplessness ... is the decisive factor not only in our prayer life, but in our whole relationship to God. As long as we are conscious of our helplessness we will not be overtaken by any difficulty, disturbed by any distress or frightened by any hindrance. We will expect nothing of ourselves and therefore bring all our difficulties and hindrances to God in prayer. And this means to open the door unto Him and to give God the opportunity to help us in our helplessness by means of the miraculous powers which are at His disposal." - [b]O. Hallesby[/b], [i]Prayer[/i].

“All hell is vanquished when the believer bows his knees in importunate supplication. Beloved brethren, let us pray. We cannot all argue, but we can all pray; we cannot all be leaders, but we can all be pleaders; we cannot all be mighty in rhetoric, but we can all be prevalent in prayer. I would sooner see you eloquent with God than with men. Prayer links us with the Eternal, the Omnipotent, the Infinite, and hence it is our chief resort. Be sure that you are with God, and then you may be sure that God is with you.” - [b]Charles Spurgeon[/b]

“And Asa cried unto the LORD his God, and said, LORD, [it is] nothing with thee to help, whether with many, or with them that have no power: help us, O LORD our God; for we rest on thee, … ” - [b]2 Ch.14:11[/b].

([b]04-12-09[/b]: Quotes from men and women of prayer.)

2009/4/9 16:24Profile
JoanM

Re: encouragement to prayer

[b][size=small]Encouragement to prayer.[/b][/size]

[b]Holiness v. Hardness Towards God by Oswald Chambers[/b]

"'And He . . . wondered that there was no intercessor.' [b]Isaiah 59:16[/b].

“The reason many of us leave off praying and become hard towards God is because we have only a sentimental interest in prayer. It sounds right to say that we pray; we read books on prayer which tell us that prayer is beneficial, that our minds are quieted and our souls uplifted when we pray; but Isaiah implies that God is amazed at such thoughts of prayer.

“Worship and intercession must go together, the one is impossible without the other. Intercession means that we rouse ourselves up to get the mind of Christ about the one for whom we pray. Too often instead of worshiping God, we construct statements as to how prayer works. Are we worshiping or are we in dispute with God – ‘I don't see how You are going to do it.’ This is a sure sign that we are not worshiping. When we lose sight of God we become hard and dogmatic. We hurl our own petitions at God's throne and dictate to Him as to what we wish Him to do. We do not worship God, nor do we seek to form the mind of Christ. If we are hard towards God, we will become hard towards other people.

“Are we so worshiping God that we rouse ourselves up to lay hold on Him so that we may be brought into contact with His mind about the ones for whom we pray? Are we living in a holy relationship to God, or are we hard and dogmatic?

"'But there is no one interceding properly' - then be that one yourself, be the one who worships God and who lives in holy relationship to Him. Get into the real work of intercession, and remember it is a work, a work that taxes every power; but a work which has no snare. Preaching the gospel has a snare; intercessory prayer has none.”

[b]Oswald Chambers (1874 – 1917)[/b]: Born in Scotland, he become a Christian after hearing Spurgeon as a child. While teaching the Bible, he reported being “caught up into the abandonment of God”: experiencing a “radiant, unspeakable emancipation, Christ's life in exchange for my sin.” Served as a YMCA Chaplin in WWI and died at the age of 43. His talks in college and military chapels during World War I were transcribed by his wife, a stenographer, into many books including his well-known [i]My Utmost for His Highest[/i].

([b]04/19/09[/b]: Quotes from men and women of prayer.)

2009/4/21 18:43Profile
JoanM

Re: encouragement to prayer

[b][size=small]Encouragement to prayer - Thursday, May 7, 2009[/size][/b]

[b][size=small]National Day of Prayer - “Prayer Is America's Hope”[/b][/size]

[b]Prayer for Our Nation[/b] – Beth Moore
Father in Heaven, we lift our eyes toward Your Throne, where You reign in righteousness. Your Word assures us that when Your people cry out in sincerity and humility, You will never turn a deaf ear to us. We call upon you now, seeking Your forgiveness and favor.

Look over this fevered landscape and heal us, Lord. Drop knees to the floor and raise eyes to the skies, for we know where our help comes from. Unite these States again in devotion to You, blur every dividing line.

Do not give us over to our sins, give us, instead, over to passionate prayer that moves Your heart. “May Your unfailing love rest upon us, O Lord, even as we put our hope in You.” In the name of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ, Amen.

[b]Selections from the Intercession of Daniel[/b] – Daniel 9:3-23
And I set my face unto the Lord God, to seek by prayer and supplications, ... and said, ... . We have sinned, and have committed iniquity, and have done wickedly, and have rebelled; ... . Neither have we hearkened unto thy servants the prophets, which spake in thy name to our kings, our princes, and our fathers, and to all the people of the land. O Lord, righteousness [belongeth] unto thee, but unto us confusion of faces, as at this day; ... because we have sinned against thee. ... To the Lord our God [belong] mercies and forgivenesses, though we have rebelled against him; neither have we obeyed the voice of the LORD our God, ... yet made we not our prayer before the LORD our God, that we might turn from our iniquities, and understand thy truth ... for we do not present our supplications before thee for our righteousnesses, but for thy great mercies. O Lord, hear; O Lord, forgive; O Lord, hearken and do; defer not, for thine own sake, O my God: for thy city and thy people are called by thy name.

And whiles I was speaking, and praying, and confessing my sin and the sin of my people, ... . Yea, whiles I was speaking in prayer, ... . “I am come to shew [thee]; for thou [art] greatly beloved: therefore understand the matter, ....”

[b]Beth Moore (living)[/b]: 2009 Honorary Chairman of the National Day of Prayer: May 7, 2009. Prayer reprinted with permission from Intercessors for America Newsletter, April 2009.

[b]Daniel (about 605 B.C. - ?)[/b]: Faithful praying servant and prophet of God. Three times, Ezekiel names him as an example of righteousness.

([b]04-26-09 and 05-03-09[/b]: Quotes from men and women of prayer.)

2009/4/21 18:52Profile
run2win

USA

Re:

Dear JoanM,

Thanks for grouping these great devotions on prayer. What a blessing.

2009/4/21 20:58Profile

©2002-2024 SermonIndex.net
Promoting Revival to this Generation.
Privacy Policy